Negative Reactions ... REALLY ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There's an analogy of how ignorant people tend to bring down individuals who are trying to better themselves in some way. Picture a bucket full of crabs. All of them likely want to be out of the bucket. But as soon as one of them starts climbing out, the others pull their friend back down to where they are all stuck with a doomed future.

Your family are the crabs. Because of their ignorance (Crabs are stupid, right? So are inlaws.), they wish to keep you down to their level despite your attempt to better yourself and your immediate family's health by quitting smoking through vaping. You can't fix stupid.

So keep up the great work of staying off the stinkies. Don't allow the "crabby" inlaws to try to pull you back down into the bucket of stinky cigarette butts.

Vape hard. Vape strong. Vape proud.

:headbang::vapor::headbang::vapor:

Last edited:

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
+1 to what retic1959 said. I wonder if things would be different if they weren't named e-cigarettes. What if they were called e-candy canes.
My scenario might go .................

Am I still smoking? No, I quit that nasty habit. Now I'm on a diet and trying to lose some weight. I found this neat thing call an E-Candy Cane. It gives me all the flavor and satisfaction of a piece of candy in a harmless vapor but with no calories. I've lost 8 pounds since...............

Yes, I am dreaming. The only reason that I called it an e-candy cane is because I,m vaping Candy Cane right now.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Actually it's something many of us have to deal with. Vaping looks like smoking, but it's not. You may go through withdrawal symptoms when your body starts missing some of those other 4,000 chemicals that it has been used to for last few decades. After about 3 or 4 months when we have been through the ringer that tobacco cessation forces on us, there is no doubt in our minds that we have quit smoking by replacing it with a far less harmful alternative.

First, nobody told me that acne could be a withdrawal symptom. That one really, really sucked. But at least we seemed to have moved past it. I hope.

Second, now I'm worried about that three to four month mark you mention. Gonna have to do a bit of research there. Grr...

And I really like how you phrased that last part. Gonna be quoting you today. Hope you don't mind.

Sorry for taking a while to respond to your post, but I followed your links and was busy reading up on the facts. Really good information out there. Now if only I could respond in a calm, coherent manner when put under pressure. Do you think it would be too awkward to go in armed with cliff notes? Or maybe I should just scribble some of the key points on my hand like back in high school.

You'd better not, otherwise your ECF membership will have to be revoked..

Heheh. Just kidding. Good on you for giving up those stinkin cigarettes.

Much needed laugh. Thanks!

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder if things would be different if they weren't named e-cigarettes.

You know, the first time I walked into the vapor store, I thought it was weird how much emphasis they put on the word "vaping," whenever I unerringly said smoking. I remember thinking it was kind of silly at the time.

Now I think I get it. It not only helps to differentiate the experience in my mind, to keep the two completely separate, but it also stresses the difference when I'm having to explain it to others.

I think you're right, in that they might have been better off launching with a different name, but then they might have lost their primary target group. Eh, who knows?

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I got flack at first but, I never let it bother me. To a non vaper I did trade one addiction for another, we all know I didn't even trade addictions. I am still a nicotine addict I simply wised up and found a much less harmful, messy and better smelling and tasting way to get my nicotine is all.

Yes over the years I have reduced my nic in my juice and, can vape 0 nic for the better part of the day, if I want but, I still like my nic so, I have some whenever I want it. N cancer, no smoke, no stench, no ashes, no burning anything, I'm not giving myself or bystanders cancer and, nic is no worse for me that caffeine. (and yes I like my coffee with my nic.)

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
First, nobody told me that acne could be a withdrawal symptom. That one really, really sucked. But at least we seemed to have moved past it. I hope.

It's important to note that it's smoking cessation that causes these things, but I think you've got that. Did you not get quit zits when you gave up smoking when you were pregnant? You might have thought it was a side affect of being pregnant at the time - after all that is probably a bigger change than giving up smoking.

There's a whole swag of things that can happen, and it's really weird because we seem to notice them more and make a big deal of them when we're vaping.

Second, now I'm worried about that three to four month mark you mention. Gonna have to do a bit of research there. Grr...

Sorry, I really didn't mean to freak you out. There's more things in tobacco that are addictive than just nicotine. Primarily there are other alkaloids, or what gets call "whole tobacco alkaloids" or WTA. Of the total alkaloids in tobacco, nicotine makes up 90%. It's the other 10% that is the problem and you can still get withdrawals. Everyone is different though, so there's a chance you will sail straight past all of those problems. I hope so anyway. You did it once before - there's not reason to think this time will be any different.

The fact is though that I was overdosed on nicotine and still craving a smoke. If it hadn't have been for reading about WTAs on here I wouldn't have known what was happening to me. Forewarned was forearmed in this case - I worked through it with the help of vaping and ECF and am now in a happy place. I have reduced my nicotine intake from 24mg/ml at the start down to 10mg.ml just this weekend and am vaping less. I was a heavy rollie smoker though, and it's different for everyone.

If you have any problems like cravings, lack of concentration, lack of motivation, or anything else weird come here and tell people. The support and advice you will get from this community is second to none.

And I really like how you phrased that last part. Gonna be quoting you today. Hope you don't mind.

Not at all. Let us know how you make out with family. :)

Sorry for taking a while to respond to your post, but I followed your links and was busy reading up on the facts. Really good information out there. Now if only I could respond in a calm, coherent manner when put under pressure. Do you think it would be too awkward to go in armed with cliff notes? Or maybe I should just scribble some of the key points on my hand like back in high school.

That's OK, it's a global community and sometimes time zones play a huge part in response times. Most people will not expect instant replies to messages.

You could have some notes and look at them while you are having a vape. That way you will be primed and ready when the comments start up ;-)

Last edited:

Mattnatti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
There's an analogy of how ignorant people tend to bring down individuals who are trying to better themselves in some way. Picture a bucket full of crabs. All of them likely want to be out of the bucket. But as soon as one of them starts climbing out, the others pull their friend back down to where they are all stuck with a doomed future.

This made me LMAO, although funny it is sad and true.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
It's important to note that it's smoking cessation that causes these things, but I think you've got that. Did you not get quit zits when you gave up smoking when you were pregnant? You might have thought it was a side affect of being pregnant at the time - after all that is probably a bigger change than giving up smoking.

Yeah, I'm thinking I wrote off a lot of the side effects as pregnancy-related. Maybe we'll find out next time, if there is a next time! (Jury's still out on that one...)

The only thing that's really, really bugging me is how very scatterbrained I seem to have become as of late. I can quite literally be mid-sentence and lose my train of thought. The hubby thinks it's a hoot because I'm one of those people who can remember random details from years back, a real positive when I was working with international contracts, a detriment to my husband when we get to arguing. :blush:

Hopefully, this will pass. Quickly. Because it is very much so driving me a bit nutty!

CountryLawyer

Jul 24, 2013
Upstate NY
I guess I'm lucky in this respect. My entire immediate family is or was a smoker. My brother and father still are. I think that because all of us realize the difficulty in giving up on cigarettes, everyone has been supportive. My father even carries an extra twist I gave him. He alternates back and forth. At 78, he isn't so keen on giving up the analogs after 60+ years.

Anyway, to the OP, I wish you the very best of luck; congratulate you on your success; and would just remind you that family is family, you get the good with the bad. They simply don't understand. If they did, they'd be behind you 100%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

ClaireW

ECF Veteran
I have found that you have to "rid yourself of toxic people"

Good Luck!!

This is usually my approach to almost all situations.

I do what I think is best for me. I haven't had any vape haters since I started but some who question. I will educate if they want to listen if not I simply suggest they do their own research and I move on.

For the OP it seems hubby is fine with your decision. That would be enough for me.

Congrats on not smoking analogs! Vape on don't let them take that away from you! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
Yeah, I'm thinking I wrote off a lot of the side effects as pregnancy-related. Maybe we'll find out next time, if there is a next time! (Jury's still out on that one...)

The only thing that's really, really bugging me is how very scatterbrained I seem to have become as of late. I can quite literally be mid-sentence and lose my train of thought. The hubby thinks it's a hoot because I'm one of those people who can remember random details from years back, a real positive when I was working with international contracts, a detriment to my husband when we get to arguing. :blush:

Hopefully, this will pass. Quickly. Because it is very much so driving me a bit nutty!

That's how it starts, yeah. :shock:

Look, it does pass, and the best thing is that you have a husband who is supportive. So long as you are happy with vaping, you don't feel the need to smoke. Let hubby know things may get a little weird, but it's only temporary and you'll be back your old self, winning the arguments and all.

I like Robert Heinlein's recipe for a happy marriage: "-In a family argument, if it turns out you are right--apologize at once! " :lol:

For now, hang in there. If anything else happens start a new thread and *ask*.

MASchlabach23

Aug 18, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
That's how it starts, yeah. :shock:

Look, it does pass, and the best thing is that you have a husband who is supportive. So long as you are happy with vaping, you don't feel the need to smoke. Let hubby know things may get a little weird, but it's only temporary and you'll be back your old self, winning the arguments and all.

I like Robert Heinlein's recipe for a happy marriage: "-In a family argument, if it turns out you are right--apologize at once! " :lol:

For now, hang in there. If anything else happens start a new thread and *ask*.

Will do.

In the past few weeks of lurking, I've learned that this forum is definitely the go-to place for advice, ideas and honest feedback. In the past few hours I've learned that it's also a supportive and caring community. Thank you all so very much.

Now wish me luck, as off to the gathering we go...

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Yes, the scatter brained thing does pass. I don't have any proof as to why but, I suspect it's just the adjustment to the lack of MAOIs when you quit analogs. Like quitting any brain altering chemical(s), it does take time for your chemistry to adjust and, put things back to right. I had that for a few months early on but, it did go away and, like you, I do remember odd details about events that happened years ago and, I never forgt a phone number, though I did for a few months in the process of detoxing form analogs, but oh well, that's long over now.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Well, I just found this thread and you're already off to the family gathering, MAS, so all I can add is that I'm with you in spirit and eagerly waiting for your debriefing, hopefully later today! You've had tons of good advice and support, which I know you're putting to good use!

You have to co-exist with family, but you don't have to let them influence how you feel about yourself or what decisions you make. I'm with AttyPop's "first educate, then thank, then thank." Then come here for help and hugs... :)

Standing by for your report.... :vapor: :vapor: :vapor:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
those people never liked you anyway.
now that your trying to improve yourself they will in no way see it for what it is.
if you quit cold turkey there reaction would be,well why did'nt you do that a long time ago you dweeb,
and turn there nose to you anyway.
you see you cant possibly be as importent as them,why they and they alone are the very best people
on earth.

tounge and cheek regards,
mike
keep on vaping kid.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin

Many hugs to you, and deepest sympathies for having to deal with your hubby's family :( They're completely, 100% WRONG. Letting them annoy you into lighting up would be like letting them annoy you into jumping off a cliff because they didn't believe in the theory of gravity. btw I gather you're conservative. I'm liberal. The cool thing is that we can agree on this forum, as cigarettes are bad beyond politics; no sane person can argue in favor of smoking over vaping :toast:

Re the forgetfulness: I've been vaping for a month (zero analogs so far, yay!) and the forgetfulness is noticeably better than it was earlier. Earlier, it was BAD. I don't know if you were having mood swings, but I was, and those have almost disappeared as well. Things are almost back to normal.

Again, lots and lots of hugs and good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread