Never smoked, but I want to try vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliVape

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a 18 year old boy, I do a lot of sport, specifically rowing. I train 7 days a week, sometimes more than one training per day. I've never smoked cigarettes, and never will. Want to try vaping, I recently tried (without nicotine) and I liked it. So my question is: Which are the risks in health of vaping (without nicotine)? And also, I'm almost sure that vaping will do some impact in my performance in rowing, but how big it is? Does any one know the impact of vaping in cardio?

I already know that the rational choice is not to vape at all, but I think that vape will be more healthy than occasionally going out a weekend and drink half a bottle of Vodka, or stuff myself out of McDonalds or some similar .....

PD: Sorry if something is mispelled, English is not my first language.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would no more suggest vaping is a rational choice for a physically active 18 year old into sports than I would knocking off half a bottle of vodka or living on McDonalds as your primary dietary choice. Which is worse? Does it matter? They're all bad choices, and I wouldn't try to do a comparative risk decision between the three.

If you are hell bent on choosing one of those three risk activities, I guess a safe setup of a vape system for occasional use is the lesser of evils between the three. But if you feel it a necessity to engage in risky activity, why not take up sky diving? A real adrenaline rush and probably safer than those other choices.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um. Okay. I was an 18 year old girl who could run half-marathons, and bike over a century in a day (that's over 100 miles, since you are not from here) with the greatest of ease. I really, really enjoyed it, too.

Then, I went to England and started smoking. I am a yoga enthusiast (but it's been harder and harder over the years) and I would give ANYTHING not to be a former smoker, now vaper. My cardiovascular system has improved, but at the end of my smoking I was a 3 ppd smoker, who had pneumonia for 18 mo straight and was facing the dreaded COPD diagnosis.

I'm making this comparison, as in the past, there really wasn't as much information about how harmful cigarettes were, (and back then they had so many less additives and etc.) and sometimes athletes (even Olympians) smoked. You will notice that world records are being broken pretty consistently, and it's not all drugs or training improvements, I'm sure cardiovascular health and athletes NOT using cigarettes and other drugs if they are serious about their sport. AT this TIME, we know very little about vaping over the long term (even with no nicotine, even with no flavors). The outcome is looking good in some ways, with some areas of concern. If you want to blow HUGE clouds, you will likely be exceeding safe temperatures in your vape, which MAY give of harmful things, though the impact of that is uncertain. It's not as simple as No Nic, this is a fairly new and longitudinally unproven method of harm reduction and the jury is still out.

You may find it doesn't impact you, or you may find it impacts you severely. Why take the chance? If there were ONE bad decision I made in my life (and I have made many) that I wish I could TAKE BACK, it would be smoking. I would give ANYTHING to NOT be a former smoker, but a NON-smoker, who'd never tried it. I'm quite sure I've taken years off my life, not to mention the costs associated (by the end, things were getting VERY expensive, health wise) and I never forget cigarettes, even now that I've been a vaper for some time.

I am glad vaping is available to me as a HARM reduction device, but if I was a never smoker, I would NEVER have picked one up.

I would counsel anyone looking to START vaping, that they COULD wind up in my shoes, decades down the line. We just don't know enough yet to say how safe it is, though it does seem to be clearly safer than smoking. Robbing a bank is (probably) safer than murder, but that doesn't make either one a good idea.

Please find something else to replace McDonalds or Vodka, which, like, there are a myriad of options. If you want to inhale or exhale, take up the flute (distracting! You may well INCREASE your lung capacity! it's fun! etc.)

Just don't throw out a vice or two and expect vaping to replace it. A) that's a justification, nothing more and B) I'm pretty sure (I know 18 year old boys) you'll still be eating unhealthily some of the time, and also drinking vodka, just vaping on top of it all.

Then again, do what you want, it's not like I can stop you. Google. And, welcome to ECF ALTHOUGH THESE are my least favorite welcomes, ever. Sigh.

Anna

Ann

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm a 18 year old boy, I do a lot of sport, specifically rowing. I train 7 days a week, sometimes more than one training per day. I've never smoked cigarettes, and never will. Want to try vaping, I recently tried (without nicotine) and I liked it. So my question is: Which are the risks in health of vaping (without nicotine)? And also, I'm almost sure that vaping will do some impact in my performance in rowing, but how big it is? Does any one know the impact of vaping in cardio?

I already know that the rational choice is not to vape at all, but I think that vape will be more healthy than occasionally going out a weekend and drink half a bottle of Vodka, or stuff myself out of McDonalds or some similar .....

PD: Sorry if something is mispelled, English is not my first language.

Hi Eli and Welcome!

Vaping will impair your breathing.

McDonalds is a better option. Your sports activities will at least burn off the extra calories. .. nothing but stopping vaping will improve your lung functions once you've vaped long enough to notice the impairment - which shouldn't take long considering your activity level.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will add that my son was briefly a smoker (he's 20) then switched to vaping (he noted health improvements) then quit entirely (he noted FURTHER health improvements, most particularly, lung improvement.) He's pretty good at evaluating his body, and for him to NOTE that improvement in the short time he was vaping STILL tells me vaping is harm reduction, not harm elimination. I don't think it was all the nic either, he was a sub0hmer who went through at LEAST 250 ml in a month, with flavorings.

About a month after quitting vaping, he began talking about his LUNG HEALTH improvements, and I believe him, based on observing him. Vaping is great to REPLACE smoking, it's not a good habit to just pick up for fun for a serious athlete.

Heck, even binge drinking might be less unhealthy depending on how much and the state of your liver.

This whole "replacement" strategy worries me, too, because vaping is nothing like eating McDonalds OR drinking alcohol. It won't save you from those. There are similarities between smoking and vaping that DO make it useful as a quitting SMOKING method, so I really don't think that your other "vices" are going to go away once you magically buy a vape.

Sigh.

Anna

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
18 and asking permission on a forum to vape as a never smoker...OK. What's more important to you, your health, or blowing some silly puffs of vapor?

Seriously, do whatever you want, it's your body and your life, and at 18 you are at the age of consent most places. If you notice that vaping impairs your cardio, then what?

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
drink half a bottle of Vodka, or stuff myself out of McDonalds

go to a decent burger place, get gourmet burgers IMO

that is a pleasure in life, vaping is just a necessity that came about by poor life choices in my teens

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I already know that the rational choice is not to vape at all,

Oh my, I missed this sentence. I know as an 18 year old boy rationality is a high bar (no offense, it's just that your brain isn't even done hooking itself up right) so why not wait until you are 25, your brain-connections will be better, and then you can make rational decisions.

Though, since you appear to identify rationality, why not use it as standard and Just Don't Do It.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
go to a decent burger place, get gourmet burgers IMO

that is a pleasure in life, vaping is just a necessity that came about by poor life choices in my teens

Personally I don't care if they started claiming eating beef could cause Spongiform Encephalopathy or Fatal Familial Insomnia, I would still eat it. Yes those are BOTH real diseases, both rare, and both with a 100% mortality rate. Although the second one (FFI) is genetic transmission only.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
As 99% of smokers I started in my teen years and continued for many years till I started vaping and have been vaping almost a decade. Yes I feel better, I would be better if didn't vape. Most everyone on this site will tell you if you are clean of nicotine don't start. Yea I know you think it looks cool, but so does driving with your eyes closed.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hmmm... One post total history and no replies...
Sometime I wonder if these kinds of threads are started just to see if we are trying to convince kids to pick up the habit. Makes me wonder who is behind it.

If the young man is really wanting us to say it is OK I think he has found that we won't do that. Vaping is a miracle for those of us that couldn't quit smoking any other way. We know that vaping is safer than smoking but not smoking or vaping has to be better for most folks. If I were giving advice mine would be don't do either if you can avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread