Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Yes, that is the window. I looked in the help, did a search on PreSet and it pulled up a really long text. I breezed through it but must have missed what I was looking for. I'll look again.
Not hard to do. HotRod was indeed extremely involved with updates, and additions, to the calculator. Occasionally, the Help file got overlooked. :blush: (the Presets tab being one of them)

The long text ("What's new") is a list (as they were created) of all the updates. Here are the pertinent snippets, so you don't have to go looking again:
upload_2019-1-13_21-27-59.png

upload_2019-1-13_21-29-35.png

Really, it is just a convenience feature. :)
I'm sure sooner or later I'll have more questions. That is an extensive app, HotRod (@HotRod19579 must have hundreds of hours invested in it.
We'll be here! :D

HotRod did spend a ton of time; both writing the software, and here actively involved with this thread. He, as I understand, is a professional software developer. And, finally, work responsibilities, as well as hand surgery took him away from us. He has been AWOL for the last 2 years. :(

The rest of us try to keep this thread alive. It is still a great resource.

Generally speaking, when I run into a problem with the calculator, I do the following: first, I check the Help file. Second, I search this thread. Then, if I still haven't figured it out, I'll post a question in this thread.

In case you haven't figured out ECF's search function; here is a quick tutorial:

The search box can be found in the upper right hand corner of every ECF page:
upload_2019-1-13_21-41-30.png

Clicking on the search bar will cause it to expand:
upload_2019-1-13_21-46-26.png

#1. This is where you type the terms you wish to search for. It is case sensitive... lower case search entries will find both lower AND upper case results. Upper case searches will only provide upper case results. This field is optional; if you are a certain member's posts)

#2. This is where you can search for specific ECF member's replies (leave blank if you want all results). As you begin to type; you will see a drop-down open with suggestions (minimum of 3 characters required). You can continue to type, or click on one of the suggestions to auto-fill. This field will accept multiple members.

#3. This is another optional field. It applies date limiters. Clicking on the field will open a calendar. Click on the date of the earliest date desired.

#4 Check this box if you wish to restrict the search to the current thread. Example: if I wanted to search this thread only, for previous mentions of "presets," I would check this box:
upload_2019-1-13_21-59-3.png

That way, my search results are not polluted, by results that have nothing to do with the calculator.

#5. Is similar to #4; but limits the search to the current forum, instead of just the thread.
(e.g. this thread is located in the DIY E-Liquid forum)(Note: unchecking both will search the entire contents of ECF)

#6. I have to confess; I don't see what this is supposed to do.:facepalm: I have tried doing the same search, with the box both checked and unchecked, and I can tell no difference. I ignore this one.

#7. This begins the search.

#8. This opens the advanced search options.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    Does anyone know what font(s) are used for this program?
    I have given up on Windows (lost files, lost access to everything on my data drive, video broken).
    I was running Linux for a while, then I got a package from my lovely wife. A new Mac Mini.
    I have the program running, have a PDF printer to print to, but the PDF prints fine for probably half the page, then prints the rest half height characters.
    I'd just as soon continue using this as it is the best I used, but without printing, its going to be a challenge.
    Hope someone knows about the fonts, or another way to get a good printout from this inside OSX.
    Yeah, I am afraid printing don't work so well on the Mac. Basically, Windows uses a driver. When you print the driver is called up. On the Mac, the printing "service" is called up but it requires some information in order to set itself up correctly. Since JC calls up the MS printer driver via .NET, it does not pass in the correct parameters for the Mac using Wine so the Mac printer service starts up in vanilla (basic) mode and has no useful options to set the print layout or format. So, although printing works....sort of, it is prety useless on the Mac. It's the only thing I have real issue with running .NET apps under WIne on the Mac.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    I'm new to the software and new to mixing....This is an excellent app. I'm having a issue with nicotine levels in recipes I entered (I use the word recipes loosely, for the most part they are One Shot all in ones), I think this is the problem.

I set the default to 12mg which is the mg that my wife vapes, I vape 6mg.

I added several of these One Shot mixes. Wanted to mix some up, for wife, 12mg is up and quantities are loaded.
    For mine, I set to 6mg, didn't notice the Warning and Errors 'Nicotine level exceeded' while entering data, now am getting no quantities for nicotine, unless I move target Nicotine up to 12mg, anything lower and it blanks out.

I set default to 1, I think its fixed. But not sure.

Is there anyway to fix this without deleting and starting over?

Thanks!!

Just in case you forgot, you have to enter the PG or VG value for the Nic you enter in the ingredients tab. The PG or VG amount in the Nic Shots your using will have an effect on the recipe calculation. That is, it will throw up the red banner if it cant calculate based on the VG or PG content.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    The link in the app still works. You can download it here: Juice Calculator

Note that this web page refers to the download being for version 6.0.2.2

I am not sure what the .exe download version gets you.

But the most current version last released is 8.0.0.8

This is the version we are all using.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    @IDJoel Is there an updated link for the calculator or do I just download from the first post?
    Fran, I agree with @Scouser. The link is still valid, and I am not sure as to the version either. If, it is not the most current version (8.0.0.8), then running the update feature should make that right. Both checking the version, and updating, can be found under the Help tab:
    upload_2019-1-29_13-8-4.png

Speaking of the Help tab; the Display Help command opens a very thorough Help file, that is separate from the main program. That allows you to leave the program, and Help document open, and jump back and forth. Making it very easy to follow the directions step by step.

If you are at all a reader, I would strongly encourage you to read the Getting Started section in Help:
    upload_2019-1-29_13-33-8.png

Juice Calculator is one of the most advanced calculators I have used. And, as such, has a bit more of a learning curve. Reading the above sections can help make that learning a lot easier. Once you get the ingredients populated, adding recipes becomes a breeze.:)

We will also be here to offer any help we can.:D

ONE CAVEAT: This program was written for Windows computers (desktops, laptops, and maybe(?) larger/more powerful pads). Some users have gotten this to operate on Apple and Linux systems, but that takes a bit of computer expertise.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2013
    MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
    Ok.I downloaded and checked it out a bit and then closed. Now how do I find it again?

Nevermind. Found it.

Fran, Joel is right about the learning curve, but once it's set up with ingredients it's the best calculator I've used (and I tried the others, admittedly a long time ago). I didn't use all the features initially, but I keep growing into them (inventory location). Feel free to ask questions! This is another thread with lots of good people.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I didn't use all the features initially, but I keep growing into them (inventory location).

Completely. At first the Location field wasn't that useful here either, but as my flavor library grew, it is now all but utterly indispensable.

Then later the feature for "Modify Existing Recipe" now allows me to adjust a currently running mix, from adjusting the percentages to adjusting the resulting quantity. Sheer genius for allowing this ability! Makes experimenting fun and insanely easy - as long as you're using bottles with known quantity markings.

I have suddenly started to get a message on new recipies I am creating with the red bar showing. It says "Cost/ml was not provided for all ingredients"
    But looking through the 5 ingredients in a new recipe I just created and the Cost/Volume/Mls is detailed.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Do you have the Cost information filled in for your base ingredients? Nicotine, PG, VG?

Reactions: IDJoel

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    I fixed it. Seems I may have hit upon a bug. I went through all 5 ingredients and removed them one by one until the message went away. It went away when I removed CAP Graham Cracker V2. I checked the ingredients and the Cost info was filled in. However, I noticed the purchase date and vendor boxes were empty. I must have forgot to fill them. Anyway, I filled them, added the ingredient again and all is OK. Weird!

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    Another subject.... I recall some time ago....was it years....months..... anyway, I found a way to search a word in the ingredients bit cant recall how I did it. Anyone remember? I would like to search all my ingredients for a specific word say "nut" so I can see all the ingredients in my database with the word "nut" in it. Can't recall how I did this.

Jenko

Mar 4, 2019
    A few months back I started a thread about a new calculator that was available. Since that post I have received a lot of good input and have made several updates and added new features. I encourage you to download and try out the latest version. All feedback is welcome.

Download links:
    Juice Calculator

A summary of its features:
    Define and save ingredients
    • PG/VG percentage levels
    • Nicotine level (pre-mix ingredients)
    • Drops/ml and grams/ml
    • Cost of ingredient
    • Notes associated with ingredient

Define and save recipes
    • Nicotine, PG and VG level
    • Selection of defined ingredients to add
    • Notes associated with the recipe
    • See resulting amounts to add (drops, ML’s, grams) and total cost of the recipe

Modify an existing mix
    Have you ever created a mix and would like to change the nicotine level, increase or decrease a flavor percentage, change the PG/VG ratio or add additional ingredients while maintaining the same ratios of your other ingredients? The “Modify recipe” option will do this. After making your changes you will be informed how much of each ingredient to add to bring your existing mixture to the new levels.

Build a recipe by entering ingredient amounts
    Have you ever mixed something up by throwing together several ingredients and wanted to create a repeatable recipe by specifying the amount of each ingredient added? The “Build recipe” option will do this. Enter the amount of each ingredient added and then save the new recipe.

Includes a calculator to “Dilute nicotine” to a different mg/ml level and dilute to obtain a different PG/VG ratio.

Export your recipe(s) and ingredients to Excel.

Import your existing recipes from other popular calculators.

Search your existing recipes to find recipes that contain one or more of the ingredients specified.

Before you start using the calculator, make sure you setup your preferences on how the calculator operates by going to the “Options” window.

View attachment 262394
    Hi I'm a new member and I have also just made my first batch of DIY vape juice not to sure about the steep process but my flavours ain't spot on yet but I will get there with some help

squee

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Another subject.... I recall some time ago....was it years....months..... anyway, I found a way to search a word in the ingredients bit cant recall how I did it. Anyone remember? I would like to search all my ingredients for a specific word say "nut" so I can see all the ingredients in my database with the word "nut" in it. Can't recall how I did this.
    No idea how to search for a specific word but I use the category feature for the same type of search. So my "Nuts" category will bring up everything I've labeled with that - all the peanut, hazelnut, almond, pecan, mixed nuts, etc... flavorings

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    If you open the ingredient editor:
    Alt-I opens a "Find" search box:
    upload_2019-3-4_15-23-48.png

In the search box; you can choose which column(s) you want the search feature to look in (e.g. Name, Folder, etc.).
    upload_2019-3-4_15-26-40.png

Each time you click on search, the next instance is highlighted. It returns results for complete words like "mixed nuts," as well as partials like "doughnut."

Is that what you were thinking of, @Scouser?
    I fixed it. Seems I may have hit upon a bug. I went through all 5 ingredients and removed them one by one until the message went away. It went away when I removed CAP Graham Cracker V2. I checked the ingredients and the Cost info was filled in. However, I noticed the purchase date and vendor boxes were empty. I must have forgot to fill them. Anyway, I filled them, added the ingredient again and all is OK. Weird!
    That is different.:confused:

I have quite a few ingredients (50+?) that have cost and on-hand inventory, but no vendor or purchase date, and are attached to recipes (refugees from before I started using JC and tracking that data). I just looked at 3 or 4 of them, and none of them displayed a "Cost/ml was not provided for all ingredients" warning.

I would be curious if anyone else is seeing similar results.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread