Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Daniel, did you have issues with the Bellus leaking out the airholes? Any tips on wicking? I made two coils 26 ga kanthal 3mm 7 winds spaced.
    That fine clapton wire is very interesting for sure.
    I forgot to mention, when making the contact winds coil for the silverplay (very excited to try it) I forgot to count winds LOL Tried to look with magnifying glass and not sure... maybe 8 (was planning more like 6-7 but going to give it a try anyway... total MTL with smaller airflow insert) Switching to larger airflow insert for the clapton (it's a 3mm around 5-6 winds) A friend is sending me some interesting wire samples to try... Ni80 and SS.

No issues with my Bellus because I haven't had a build on one yet, I blame @AngeNZ for convincing me to buy lots more tankso_O
    I'm hoping you can tell me if you have any problems!
    Maybe watch a YouTube video on it and take it from there.
    Enjoy your new wire:thumbs:

• Agree
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @vaper1960, Ti isn't that scary to use. Only tried once so far, but was impressed with TC performance but because of Ti's properties my coil was only okay and not awesome. Mass wasn't high enough for my liking, but at least I know more for my next try.

And TC is more treated like a long lost dark art, but a majority is not. I'm more than happy to chat about what little I know of it, as I'm a TC user.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Daniel, I'll let you know how it goes with the Bellus (I've already watched every video on YT) Beside potential leaking, it's a great RTA... direct side airflow is awesome! You have to mount both coils at the same time, but I just use two round toothpicks to hold the coils while tightening screws (it also helps to pre-measure the leads a cut to length before mounting) Like I said, while waiting for wire, I did lots of research on both RTAs. I have nothing against TC, just that I don't do high watts and also do short draws so don't need it (I will try it with the Ni80 though)
    Anyone have an opinion on those Mech mods (I'm "year of the rat") I totally understand ohms law and potential safety issues... it would be for the RDA. My batteries are rated 35 amp but Mooch says actually only 25 amp (still not bad)
    Hoping to do my builds later today. Trying 80 VG in the Bellus, 70 VG in the Silverplay. I forgot and used 65 VG in the bellus ( and not enough wick)... no wonder it leaked.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Anyone have an opinion on those Mech mods (I'm "year of the rat") I totally understand ohms law and potential safety issues... it would be for the RDA. My batteries are rated 35 amp but Mooch says actually only 25 amp (still not bad)
    RJ Mods makes solid mechs. I have an RJ Mods Turtleship v3.
    IMG_1235crSM.jpg

The clearance prices at VapeNW are excellent for an RJ Mods mech. That's where I got my Turtleship v3 and with the LD 15% sale it came out to $55.25 (a steal). Roadside Vapes, and others, have them going in the $175 and up range. If you are able to swing it I'd say go for it.

ETA: VapeNW will probably have another decent sale over Thanksgiving.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Daniel, I'll let you know how it goes with the Bellus (I've already watched every video on YT) Beside potential leaking, it's a great RTA... direct side airflow is awesome! You have to mount both coils at the same time, but I just use two round toothpicks to hold the coils while tightening screws (it also helps to pre-measure the leads a cut to length before mounting) Like I said, while waiting for wire, I did lots of research on both RTAs. I have nothing against TC, just that I don't do high watts and also do short draws so don't need it (I will try it with the Ni80 though)
    Hoping to do my builds later today. Trying 80 VG in the Bellus, 70 VG in the Silverplay. I forgot and used 65 VG in the bellus ( and not enough wick)... no wonder it leaked.

Looking forward to some Bellus feedback!
    I would honestly wait a little while before you get yourself a mech, I have an extensive electronics background myself and am only really confident now after building for a few months. Just my opinion:D

• Winner

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Moracai, is there a chart or reference for using TC with different alloys?

One of the best resources for finding the TCR (Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) for the various metals is steam-engine.org. It's buried in wire wizard, under TCR in vaping range.

For example, SS316L TCR is shown as 879×10-6 on steam-engine.org. So you set TCR at 88 on your mod, set appropriate temp, set wattage for coil resistance and then enjoy the vape.

Hopefully it's of some use to you @vaper1960.

• Agree

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Update: The Bellus has a very small build deck for a dual coil. Had to take a wind off the spaced coils and even then could barely get them to fit. Will make some contact coils next time. Funny thing is NO LEAKS... instead got fairly dry hits :( I wicked the heck out of it and used 80VG juice... worked too good. Good news is you just turn it upside down, remove bottom ring and build deck comes right out (even with juice in tank) Super easy to play with wicking or even change coils. Did much better with the Silverplay. Had to wrap the coil leads around deck screws (they have a "rounded" underside) Worked great... no leaks, no dry hits! Can't comment on flavor because it's a juice I haven't tried before (free "mystery flavor" came with my Vape Wild order) It was 70 VG. Anyone reading this in the next few hours, they are only $15 and tonight get 40% off with code! I'm broke or would jump on that deal (VaperDNA) One big issue with the Silverplay... short 510 thread on the bottom. Wouldn't work with my good mod, but worked fine with my little EZ Watt. The 510 center has screwdriver slot (like it would adjust) but couldn't get it loose so didn't want to mess it up. Would one of those "heat sink" adapters fix that? Really sucks, but I otherwise love the RTA. Been a bit of a "rollercoaster ride".

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Looking forward to some Bellus feedback!

Been using four Bellus since day one - years, just recently got four more. Total of seven. Love them.

Get no leaking what so ever unless I tip the air vent downwards, trick is tilt it upwards. I do only use single coils in it. Just last week built my first 3 mm 26 ga for it. Vapes better than ever huge increase in clouds and flavor. Order my first RTA (EHPRO Kelpie RTA ) this week because of the improvement I got from a larger coil.

Edit
    The reason I got seven left is because one went bad recently.

Last edited:

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Been using four Bellus since day one years, just recently got four more. Total of seven. Love them.

Get no leaking what so ever unless I tip the air vent downwards, trick is tilt it upwards. I do only use single coils in it. Just last week built my first 3 mm 26 ga for it. Vapes better than ever huge increase in clouds and flavor. Order my first RTA (EHPRO Kelpie RTA ) this week because of the improvement I got from a larger coil.

Thanks for the feedback @mightymen , I appreciate it:D

Reactions: mightymen

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    BTW, just had to try a bit harder on that 510 center pin... it's doing fine now.
    So did the same (slightly unscrewed 510 center pin on my second Silverplay but this one was already a bit loose) Worked fine for awhile then showed "short" on my mod. Opened it up and the positive post was loose. Will try the heatsink adapter after all.
    mightymen, been fighting that darn Bellus... leaked again. Will try single coil next time (still have brand new adapter)

Reactions: mightymen

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    hiya! thought i'd let spare the shinies a bit:

for the coming Elevate (so got to be 3-3.5mm ID. Ordered Ni80 sets already, but want Kanthal in case and as the more basic. Let's not factor in the price. To vape DL, obv., and not to go over 70watts, preferably lower.

I was told the simpler the better. The simpler stuff from a decent looking pachage with specifications that i've found are there, but i'm not sure about the gauge-ohm situation.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10044157/9626936

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10044157/9626934

Not that simple, but i'm guessing the these specific builds actually help ramp-up and get warm at a more reasonable wattage:
    decent reviews but i don't know the internal diameter

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...hentic-xfkm-kanthal-a1-tri-core-fused-clapton

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050888/9645458-authentic-xfkm-kanthal-a1-alien-clapton-pre

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050888/9662728

any other suggestions are welcome.htere's loads in the drop down menu with different gauges and builds and i've lost focus on what i need

FYI got to order before they close throughout January.

I wish all thick clouds to engulf their heads

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @virm – never used any of those coils, so can’t comment on their quality. I have used what I would consider as cheap grade wire that always had a metallic taste – its brand was unknown to me. Not saying your choices are using cheap grade wire, but just bringing that up.

Subjectively, all of what you have chosen will be sufficient for <70 watts, the simple coils will be much less. The Alien Clapton made with ribbon wire employs the highest mass and will require the most power out of all of them. The more mass, the more power is needed and the longer it retains that heat. Can’t say whether you would enjoy the type of vape a high mass coil brings – some people do, some do not. It’s all very subjective. But for the low price these are going for it is certainly worth the experiment. Just keep an open mind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread