New Eissenberg study vindicates e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
As a healthcare professional, I'm done following this Eissenberg guy. A "clinical Study" with an N(sample size) of 32 proves nothing. He also seems to keep proving (or trying to prove) that ecig usage is tantamount to some type of Placebo effect. He uses ecig brands that I never heard of (NPRO-Hydro EC??) and allowing cigarette users to use their "own brand" (which means they'll all be different) is a terrible control method.
His study methodolgy with regards to the actual vaping protocol also shows he knows next to nothing about how real word vapers actually vape.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The NPRO is a model (RN4081) sold by NJOY, the only company left in the lawsuit against the FDA. It was my first e-cig. It is pretty underpowered as e-cigs go. I often had to "prime" it to get vapor to come out. (Ever seen someone smoke a pipe? They take several short puffs to get the fire in the bowl revved up. I had to take several short puffs on my NPRO to get the vapor to appear. That's what I mean by "prime" it.)

I'm unfamiliar with the other brand he was using.

I'm wondering whether the researchers actually observed visible vapor being exhaled during those 10 puffs. If not, or if vapor only came out for some of the puffs, it's no wonder the blood levels of nicotine were so low.

Dr. E has undergone some instruction on how real world vapers vape. We will have to wait for his next study to see how well he was paying attention. All his research for this study was already done by the time he met with us. I have to say that the wording for the final version of the journal article is a big improvement over the initial letter he wrote to Tobacco Control.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You're talking about billions of dollars lost tax revenue and it it has to be found somewhere. My fear is that when tax departments wake up to this, they will join the anti-ecig brigades - and their power is considerable. Look at it this way: where will the money come from when 10% of smokers have switched? How about when 25% of smokers have switched?
Taxes on fast foods, sodas, candy, potato chips, cookies, etc..

VinnieVapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Near Montreal QC
I'm really happy with those results even if participants did not knew how to use ecigs.

But, I remember very well my first week where I had to fight with both withdrawal symptoms and small OD symptoms.

The next study should involve "trained" ecigs users. While I know CO levels should stay low I fear for heart rate and nicotine levels. But, even if those levels come way higher we are still free from Co, Tar, Formaldehyde, Benzene et al.

AcePilot

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
United States (Utah) SLC
If these things don't deliver nicotine to the bloodstream then they must have one heck of a placebo effect since I quit smoking cigarettes with virtually no withdrawal symptoms.

You and me both! If its all in my head, then great! :p
Ive said it before, and I;ll say it again. If my "Mental Addiction" is happy, then I am happy!:vapor:

It has to be the brands that were used in the "study" because before I knew not to vape my 510 like I would smoke a cigarette, I over did it and ended up with cold sweats and feeling ill from too much nicotine. The same feeling I got as a teenager after smoking two packs of camels on a one night car ride to Cali.
But wait, according to the study its all in my head. :confused:

Lol:vapor:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
North Shore - I disagree with the notion that anything other than federal and state income tax, as well as state sales tax (when bought in state) should ever be paid on the sale of these devices.
Yes, it would be nice but surely that is not realistic. Billions of dollars in tobacco tax cannot just disappear without some sort of consequence. The consequences are that revenue departments will try to ban e-cigarettes, when they finally wake up, and/or that ecigs will be taxed in some additional way. Right now, ecigs are under the radar for Treasury departments, but they'll wake up sooner or later. There is a reason tobacco sales are ring-fenced by laws and it's not all to do with allowing consumer choice. There has to be a very good reason indeed to allow 400,000 deaths a year to go unchallenged - and it is because of the money. If they leave it too late and ecig users reach a critical mass, and can't then be brushed aside, they will tax ecigs.

Through taxes, government has been in bed with big tobacco, forever. In Massachusetts we have some of the highest taxes on cigarettes in the nation. Yet, our bloated and corrupt system gives us beat up roads and little money for local schools. If every convenience and liquor store sold these products, you would still get a decent revenue from local sales tax. In a short time there would be less people getting sick and burdening health care care resources.
It would be nice if they got in bed with us, though, wouldn't it?

The efficiency of the system, or not, probably doesn't come into this. Many governments or regions worldwide have astronomical sums coming into their coffers but there is little to show for it on the street. That's life.

Lots of stores sell tobacco and it produces a lot of money in tax. If they sold ecigs instead, as things stand, the tax income would shrink to 5% of that, maybe less (just a guess). This is the core of the problem. If you can save money by using an ecig then the government is losing out somewhere. That situation will not go unchallenged by them.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah - If they get it through their heads that the PV doesn't deliver any nicotine when used, what's to stop the powers that be from only allowing nic-free juices - "If it doesn't deliver, why have it IN there in the first place, safety, dangers, poison, blah, blah, blah...."
True enough. The FDA will play dirty, without doubt, if/when they lose the current case. They probably have a bunch of tricks they can pull and this could be one of them.

On the other hand, if ecigs are legally being imported and sold, and that process cannot be prevented by them - at least it's a foot in the door. Better than nothing as a result in Round 1. The next step would be to fight to remove restrictions. But that's probably better than an outright ban.

markarich159 - As a healthcare professional, I'm done following this Eissenberg guy. A "clinical Study" with an N (sample size) of 32 proves nothing. He also seems to keep proving (or trying to prove) that ecig usage is tantamount to some type of Placebo effect. He uses ecig brands that I never heard of (NPRO-Hydro EC??) and allowing cigarette users to use their "own brand" (which means they'll all be different) is a terrible control method.

His study methodology with regards to the actual vaping protocol also shows he knows next to nothing about how real word vapers actually vape.
Fair enough, let's assume he has an agenda. Most people have. With a lot of scientists right now, that agenda is to remain employed while the system pumps thousands more scientists out of universities every year. One way to do that is to provide research that is fashionable and has some sort of attraction to corporate employers. I think version #1 of the results was designed to be attractive. Version #2 also covers certain other possibilities.

This research isn't what we'd fund if we were trying to prove efficacy, or efficacy for the purpose of switching from tobacco to vapor use, or lack of health issues - but we weren't funding it, somebody else was. And right now, actually we don't want research that says how good ecigs are at anything in particular. The best possible result for us (at this point in time) is that research proves ecigs don't do anything. It's a winner.

Whether or not the results are true or not, and whether or not the results were designed to be favorable to us or not, is irrelevant in this case. They are just what we need right now. The results say ecigs don't do anything, and are the third such set of results achieved. I'd say that was legally significant, as there aren't currently any published results that say otherwise. And until certain legal processes complete, I hope that remains the case.

The fact is, that the results of clinical trials are easily manipulated to produce any result the provider of the funding wants, and such manipulation is a daily occurrence, and a matter of routine. This was stated recently by an expert clinical researcher and author.

In this particular case I find no evidence of such manipulation because the researchers were simply ignorant - and that fact has coincidentally assisted us enormously. Also, remember that one or two researchers who are sympathetic to us have also produced near-identical results - so it's not hard at all to reach those conclusions, you just need to know nothing at all about the the thing you are researching.

Right now we actually don't want a trial that proves ecigarettes are effective at for example supplying nicotine, supplying nicotine in any amount the user wants, allowing tobacco smokers to switch, being attractive to smokers, being highly efficient at long-term maintenance of tobacco cessation - or anything else like that. We just don't.

Our problem right now is not attracting more smokers to switch, it's simply to survive.

Once we've survived the onslaught then things are different. First we have to survive. Trials like this that 'prove' ecigs do nothing are just the job right now - in fact if we'd paid for this ourselves, we couldn't have had a better result. Next year will be different and we'll get a real one, because our agenda will be different. Today, it's to survive, and this trial is just the job.

I keep thinking we must have a secret patron somewhere, funding this stuff, it couldn't work any better to our advantage. Maybe Warren Buffet is a vaper.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
rolygate wrote:
The consequences are that revenue departments will try to ban e-cigarettes, when they finally wake up, and/or that ecigs will be taxed in some additional way.

Don't know about the UK, but in the US and most other countries only elected officials (e.g. Congress, state legislatures, parliaments), not revenue department bureaucrats, can legally establish, increase or reduce tax rates.

While e-cigarette taxation is something that could be proposed in the future, we'll have to deal with those policy battles when they arise. I'd support a modest tax (e.g. 10%)on e-cigarettes (just as I've advocated modest tax rates for smokeless tobacco because they are less hazardous than cigarettes), and taxation of e-cigarettes would make it far more difficult for prohibitionists to ban the products.

rolygate also wrote:
Right now we actually don't want a trial that proves ecigarettes are effective at for example supplying nicotine, supplying nicotine in any amount the user wants, allowing tobacco smokers to switch, being attractive to smokers, being highly efficient at long-term maintenance of tobacco cessation - or anything else like that.

I strongly disagree. Any study that finds e-cigarettes emit significantly fewer contaminants than cigarettes, that finds e-cigarette usage results in significantly fewer respiratory problems than cigarettes, that findes e-cigarettes satisfy the cravings of smokers, and/or that finds smokers have quit smoking (or sharply reduced cigarette consumption) by switching to e-cigarettes should help our efforts.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Bill Godshall - Don't know about the UK, but in the US and most other countries only elected officials (e.g. Congress, state legislatures, parliaments), not revenue department bureaucrats, can legally establish, increase or reduce tax rates.
Agreed. But they don't do it in a vacuum, somebody somewhere with a lot of influence tells them what would be a good idea. If the State or National budget requires a cash injection, the legislative forum members are told which way to vote. They don't invent those numbers themselves. If the people paying the bills want more cash they have the means to get it.

There is an argument that the sooner an additional sales tax is imposed on ecigs / liquids, the better, as it helps in a number of ways. It'll happen sooner or later, the glory days are almost over. If you look back to the 70s, it was a bonanza time in so many areas. We just had / are having the 70s of ecigs and I don't see that lasting for ever. Sales of products with no UL / CE mark and no public testing of ingredients doesn't seem sustainable to me. In addition, if hardware is all marked as tested, and liquid ingredients are tested in some way, and ecigs are taxed additionally, it makes our position that much stronger. I personally don't want to see any changes at all as things are just fine as they are. But this is the 70s of ecigs, change is going to come whether you or I like it or not, so maybe we'd better try and get the changes arranged to our liking.

BG - I strongly disagree. Any study that finds e-cigarettes emit significantly fewer contaminants than cigarettes, that finds e-cigarette usage results in significantly fewer respiratory problems than cigarettes, that findes e-cigarettes satisfy the cravings of smokers, and/or that finds smokers have quit smoking (or sharply reduced cigarette consumption) by switching to e-cigarettes should help our efforts.
Fair enough but which agenda are we addressing? We have around three on the go: (1) to prove ecigs are a viable alternative, and safer than tobacco; (2) to convert smokers en masse, and (3) to survive a legislative assault coordinated and controlled by organisations determined to ban the ecig as it will hurt them financially.

It seems to me that right now #3 is a priority. If, in order to survive the first battle, we have to prove that ecigs basically don't do anything (as we now can), that seems fine to me. You have to win battle #1 before you can take the next step. Right now, after these three trials with near-identical results, legislation that is based around the premise that ecigs are drug delivery devices and/or affect the metabolism to any significant degree would fail. There are three clinical trials that say ecigs do nothing significant and that position is solid until other trials say otherwise. That's fine by me - converting the masses can wait till we fend off the assault.

Granted, a million or two supporters would help a fair bit. But to be realistic, the number we could recruit in the next three months wouldn't help much. On the other hand, the next three months is critical in the various regulation battles - so that's what we need to keep our sights on.

In the UK we are worse off than the US as the FDA has already lost, and look to be fighting on the retreat. Here, though, we have a predatory government agency, the MHRA, looking to (a) prey on a weak industry and grab some cash in the form of medical licenses before that industry and community are strong enough to resist, and (b) protect the interests of their friends by shutting us down. Their attack is based on two things, the precise effects of ecigarettes and the way they are marketed. Because of the crazies who market ecigs as the final answer to all health problems, we have to prove they are a 1% rogue element in order to avoid that prong of the attack; the other prong is their claim that ecigs are a drug delivery device. Well, we now know they aren't and MHRA can't prove otherwise, which solves that particular problem. All we need to do now is fund the defence at law.

And if all goes well in the US, the FDA will have to go away and lick their wounds. But one thing you can be sure of: that won't be the end of it. Not by a long chalk. The existence of multiple research trials that prove ecigs do nothing is a useful card to have in your hand.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Regarding taxation, as one who has been actively involved with cigarette and tobacco product taxation and government budgeting policies/processess (at the local, state and federal levels) for the past 20 years, I don't foresee any e-cigarette taxation proposals by e-cigarette opponents at the local, state, or federal level (here in the US) unless/until the FDA losses the SE/NJOY lawsuit, unless/until the FDA promulgates and gives final approval for regulating e-cigarettes as tobacco products, and unless/until sales of e-cigarettes increase by at least another 5-10 times.

Since 1994 I've urged five different governors and 8 different legislatures in Pennsylvania to impose a reasonable tax on smokeless tobacco products and cigars. Until several years ago when Governor Rendell finally included a modest tax on Other Tobacco Products (OTP) in his budget proposal, I was repeatedly told by administrations and legislatures that OTP would generate enough tax revenue to make the fight (to enact an OTP tax) worthwhile.

In sum, State Legislatures are unlikely to impose (and Governors are unlikely to propose) taxes on new products/services unless the revenue generated makes it worth the political capital it takes to obtain enactment.

Bottom line, unless/until e-cigarette sales would generate at least $10-$20 million in new government tax revenue here in Pennsylvania, I don't think they will be taxed. I estimate that total sales of e-cigarettes in PA was less than $5 million last year.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Correction to my last posting.

The second sentence of the second paragraph should have stated.

Until several years ago when Governor Rendell finally included a modest tax on Other Tobacco Products (OTP) in his budget proposal, I was repeatedly told by administrations and legislatures that OTP would NOT generate enough tax revenue to make the fight (to enact an OTP tax) worthwhile.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I don't understand why you are promoting taxation of Other Tobacco Products, when products such as snus can reduce the risks of smoking-related disease by 90-99%. IMHO those products should remain as affordable as possible and the public should be educated as much as possible about their relative level of risk compared with smoking.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Regarding taxation, as one who has been actively involved with cigarette and tobacco product taxation and government budgeting policies/processess (at the local, state and federal levels) for the past 20 years, I don't foresee any e-cigarette taxation proposals by e-cigarette opponents at the local, state, or federal level (here in the US) unless/until the FDA losses the SE/NJOY lawsuit, unless/until the FDA promulgates and gives final approval for regulating e-cigarettes as tobacco products, and unless/until sales of e-cigarettes increase by at least another 5-10 times.

Since 1994 I've urged five different governors and 8 different legislatures in Pennsylvania to impose a reasonable tax on smokeless tobacco products and cigars.......

What logic did you use to encourage a reasonable tax on smokeless? In a war on smoking, wouldn't it be more logical to keep the price as economical as possible and sell the benefits to the smoking community?

Is the risk of smokeless any greater than the risks of hyper caffeinated energy drinks that have become a major market and equally capable of being taxed. Every kid I see can't wait to get their hands on their next fix so they may be ripe for the taxation machine.

We also have an entire industry in the state with fast, junk food that could generate easily the kind of revenue you propose or is the political capital expense to high to go that root.

Perhaps there is an explanation that I haven't considered, enlighten me.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Not that I think anyone cares but I had a cold cola while reading this paper.

Obviously you weren't sitting in a waiting room of Cleveland clinic where they are now removing all beverages with sugar. Yeah, I knew you were having a diet cola, right? I don't understand where society thinks that all of the chemical replacements/additives are a good thing, in anything, it just doesn't make sense. go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread