Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Plastic bottles for storing nic allow some oxygen to leech thru to the nic. But is it more oxygen than one would get in the nic by pouring it into glass bottles. Lots of air gets in there with that process.
Yep, that's one of the reasons why I like the freezer-ready stuff I get from NN...

Last edited:

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Plastic bottles for storing nic allow some oxygen to leech thru to the nic. But is it more oxygen than one would get in the nic by pouring it into glass bottles. Lots of air gets in there with that process.
And the air bubbles will require a longer time to escape from VG than PG due to the higher viscosity, meaning more time with the lid off. The air, more than anything needs to be out of it before putting the lid back on to store long term. afaik. Cheers.

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
I only have one friend who vapes in my area so I plan to see if she is interested in learning with me!
We might have to have juice mixing get togethers! If I have two years to get totally prepared I might start out small!
mixing juice is like mixing drinks, you make it as strong or weak as you like, add the flavors you like and adjust to taste. only diy juice mixing doesnt leave you hung over in the morning.

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
mixing juice is like mixing drinks, you make it as strong or weak as you like, add the flavors you like and adjust to taste. only diy juice mixing doesnt leave you hung over in the morning.

I love the analogy!

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
a small vacuum can remove the excess air quick and easy. if you happen to have one or feel like making one, if not a food saver works too.

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
It is the future. Time for civil disobedience. They might bust a few of us but there will be thousands.
i plan on getting atleast 5, 100 mg , vg base, 1 gallon bottles, and atleast 40 gallons of pre-mixed 70/30 vg\pg from e bay. as a grey hat hacker, primarily ethical, i see a great oportunity to use deep web\dark web to keep all us vapers in nice safe cozy little world, free of fda\atf\dea regulations and restrictions that are opressive and in violation of constitutional rights.

wesley pierce

May 8, 2016
arkansas
I love the analogy!
i love fruit and candy flavor profiles ....in my drinks and my juice. usually for some reason drink prefrence seems to be almost identical to vape prefrence in allot of people. people that like beer and coffee usually like tobacco and pungent aromatic vapes, while people who like pina coladas and sonic slushes usually prefer fruity\ tropical\ light and sweet vapes. although i personally have seen and purchased it i have never had a single person willing (including myself) that would try the bacon flavored juice!

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Humm.... lets see..... say I use 10ml a day at 10mg. That equates to 1ml of 100mg nicotine a day. 1yr=365days=365ml of 100mg nicotine.

1ltr=1000ml. 1000ml/365ml=2.7yrs

I'm currently vaping ~5ml of 7mg a day so my 4ltrs of 100mg ought to last me much longer than the 10.6yrs in the example above.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    OK, most people have said you need amber glass bottles for long-term storage of nic in a freezer. I already have 2L of 100mg nic stashed that way.

However, I have a friend who works at a plastics company that provides products for scientific laboratory use, educational use, and medical use, (ie. centrifuge tubes, test tubes & racks, beakers, graduated cylinders, wash bottles, a variety of types and sizes of plastic bottles and carboys, etc., etc.) I already bought quite a few of their Amber HDPE 150mL and 250mL bottles, because they: (1) are not made in China where certain specs aren't required, (2) must use FDA compliant resins, (3) must be manufactured to the strict guidelines necessary for scientific lab and medical field use. I buy them as overstock at a HUGE savings compared to what the lab, educational, and medical fields pay for them. So I've just been using them for a variety of other storage purposes before now!

These are their specs:

Laboratory Bottle, Amber Wide Mouth with Black Screw-on Cap - HDPE
    • Leakproof • For light sensitive materials • FDA compliant resin • Rigid • Black Polypropylene closure

These have excellent chemical resistance and are suitable for sampling and storage of sensitive materials.

Temp. Rating: minimum continuous -148 degrees F/-100 degrees C to maximum continuous heated 230 degrees F/110 degrees C
    So, I'm at a loss as to why most on here say absolutely do NOT store nic in any plastic bottles! Seems to me these HDPE laboratory bottles not only meet the requirements to do it, but especially temp. rating wise...far surpass what's necessary!

Anyone have definite knowledge as to why they shouldn't be used?

Reactions: budynbuick

cousinles

Apr 5, 2014
    Middleville NY
    OK, most people have said you need amber glass bottles for long-term storage of nic in a freezer. I already have 2L of 100mg nic stashed that way.

However, I have a friend who works at a plastics company that provides products for scientific laboratory use, educational use, and medical use, (ie. centrifuge tubes, test tubes & racks, beakers, graduated cylinders, wash bottles, a variety of types and sizes of plastic bottles and carboys, etc., etc.) I already bought quite a few of their Amber HDPE 150mL and 250mL bottles, because they: (1) are not made in China where certain specs aren't required, (2) must use FDA compliant resins, (3) must be manufactured to the strict guidelines necessary for scientific lab and medical field use. I buy them as overstock at a HUGE savings compared to what the lab, educational, and medical fields pay for them. So I've just been using them for a variety of other storage purposes before now!

These are their specs:

Laboratory Bottle, Amber Wide Mouth with Black Screw-on Cap - HDPE
    • Leakproof • For light sensitive materials • FDA compliant resin • Rigid • Black Polypropylene closure

These have excellent chemical resistance and are suitable for sampling and storage of sensitive materials.

Temp. Rating: minimum continuous -148 degrees F/-100 degrees C to maximum continuous heated 230 degrees F/110 degrees C
    So, I'm at a loss as to why most on here say absolutely do NOT store nic in any plastic bottles! Seems to me these HDPE laboratory bottles not only meet the requirements to do it, but especially temp. rating wise...far surpass what's necessary!

Anyone have definite knowledge as to why they shouldn't be used?
    I dont have definite knowledge but I read a thread on here somewhere and they said oxygen can bleed in through the plastic and oxidize the nicotine. How true that is I dont know

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    I dont have definite knowledge but I read a thread on here somewhere and they said oxygen can bleed in through the plastic and oxidize the nicotine. How true that is I dont know
    A very small amount yes. imho you would get far more oxygen in there transferring it to another container than would bleed thru the plastic container in a freezer.

I just ordered 2 more years worth of flavoring for my ADV's.

Reactions: LittleBird

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    And the air bubbles will require a longer time to escape from VG than PG due to the higher viscosity, meaning more time with the lid off. The air, more than anything needs to be out of it before putting the lid back on to store long term. afaik. Cheers.
    with the lid off air gets both in and out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread