New setup for a family member. Need some guidance please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you all for the replies (and free entertainment with the back and forth, ha)! He does want to quit smoking and get back on vaping so I have a feeling that he will stick with it. He wants something with a looser draw (in comparison to a cigarette) so that's why I was leaning towards the nautilus line with the BVC coils, as I have heard lots of good things about them. He also likes the size of the mods that I usually take when I make the trip out there to see him (IPV2 and Stingray x clone always in 18650 mode as I like to sub-ohm). Obviously I am not going to toss him a mech and RBA or RDA right out the gate and I haven't checked out his local B&Ms yet so I can't speak about what they can offer and if they would be helpful at all. I have a feeling that it would be best to just take him shopping at a local shop and see what he likes, rather than surprise him on Christmas day with something that he doesn't like. Only problem is that I may walk out buying more stuff for myself on top of his new setup haha.

Another thing you may want to consider is the long-awaited MVP3. It will come with Evolv's DNA chipset and I have a feeling that it may be completely redesigned. It's widely rumored that it will be released before Christmas, but nobody has a date yet.

Innokin Announce MVP 3.0 – Vape Mile

If your dad wants a mod with a replaceable battery, I own and like a mini ProVari 2.5 and a mini ss Sigelei Zmax. There are many good regulated tube mods out there, but I honestly believe that those little but powerful DNA boxes are the future of vaping.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Do I see a certain pattern here? ;)

clearomizer-tumbler-tank.jpg
images

That's why I got it. :) But the bottom skirt was too long and wouldn't fit without an adaptor, which ruined the look. Someday when I order from FT I'm going to get this one.

2pcs-lot-Newest-6ml-calabash-design-Acrylic-calabash-atomizer-calabash-design-clearomizer-vaporizer-atomizer-Free-Shipping.jpg

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
This thread was too much for my elderly computer and it just phttt, crashed. While it's limping along, I want to say thank you to you old fart ladies for a great evening. :)

Neal, yes we ripped you a new one despite most of your post being a good one. Betting you won't be making that mistake again. I hope you know it was (mostly, lol) in good fun. On your 50th birthday, please reread this post again. Hopefully you will get a good laugh out of it.

A tip of the prune juice to you ladies, g'night. :)

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
This thread was too much for my elderly computer and it just phttt, crashed. While it's limping along, I want to say thank you to you old fart ladies for a great evening. :)

Neal, yes we ripped you a new one despite most of your post being a good one. Betting you won't be making that mistake again. I hope you know it was (mostly, lol) in good fun. On your 50th birthday, please reread this post again. Hopefully you will get a good laugh out of it.

A vape of the prune juice to you ladies, g'night. :)

I fixed it for you. Prune E-Liquid

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Am I the only one who feels like smacking this young man upside the head? I know you mean well, but 50 is the new 40 and you'll be here soon enough.

I'm 44 going on 45. I should know from experience. :) After smoking for a long time... the idea of carrying a metal box was a bit unnerving at first. Same with everyone else around my age group. When the guy in the kiosk at the mall was puffin away at a Blue, I thought it was just another fad at first. Then I did some research, and bought my first cigalike... Didn't like the battery, so I bought an Ego (they had no twist at that time).. I thought the ego was huge when I got it. Ego to Vamo, Vamo to mech mods, and now, as of this post, a Sigeli 100W. Meanwhile, I have two or three co-workers who vape.. and they all vape EGO batteries. in the almost 2 years I've been vaping, I've seen only one person over 30 vape from a box outside of a brick and mortar... just my observations.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

A tip of the prune juice to you ladies, g'night. :)

Heh.. Nah.. I was saying what I've seen. It's why I visit the forums... We're vape enthusiasts of all ages. Even my boss, which is about my age, vapes.. and she just calls it a "fake Cigarette". She's been vaping for over a year. She see's my 22mm mods and think they're huge. Same with another co-worker who's wife vapes. This is the only place I know that has age 35+ people that know what a Kayfun is.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Thank you all for the replies (and free entertainment with the back and forth, ha)! He does want to quit smoking and get back on vaping so I have a feeling that he will stick with it. He wants something with a looser draw (in comparison to a cigarette) so that's why I was leaning towards the nautilus line with the BVC coils, as I have heard lots of good things about them. He also likes the size of the mods that I usually take when I make the trip out there to see him (IPV2 and Stingray x clone always in 18650 mode as I like to sub-ohm). Obviously I am not going to toss him a mech and RBA or RDA right out the gate and I haven't checked out his local B&Ms yet so I can't speak about what they can offer and if they would be helpful at all. I have a feeling that it would be best to just take him shopping at a local shop and see what he likes, rather than surprise him on Christmas day with something that he doesn't like. Only problem is that I may walk out buying more stuff for myself on top of his new setup haha.

Ahh, missed this... Yes, if he's up for a 22mm mod, then by all means, go for it. IF you're concerned about handing him a mech mod, try getting a mech mod that can have a kick put in. It's not a true safety thing, but it might save some coils in the long run. Another good mod might be one that he can set down on the table without locking... something on the lines of a Penny style. Of course, if you really want to go regulated, you could always get him a Provari or Evic supreme..but those will cost some $$$. I actually think a Provari might be the best choice overall though.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I'm 44 going on 45. I should know from experience. :) After smoking for a long time... the idea of carrying a metal box was a bit unnerving at first. Same with everyone else around my age group. When the guy in the kiosk at the mall was puffin away at a Blue, I thought it was just another fad at first. Then I did some research, and bought my first cigalike... Didn't like the battery, so I bought an Ego (they had no twist at that time).. I thought the ego was huge when I got it. Ego to Vamo, Vamo to mech mods, and now, as of this post, a Sigeli 100W. Meanwhile, I have two or three co-workers who vape.. and they all vape EGO batteries. in the almost 2 years I've been vaping, I've seen only one person over 30 vape from a box outside of a brick and mortar... just my observations.

Sorry OP for highjacking the thread again.

I also see more eGo-style batteries out in public than anything else, which is why I posted links to kits for them on the first page. However, my suggestions were based on on an eGo being a solid, entry-level, easy to use device for anyone, not due to the OP's father's age.

You might be surprised how many people on the forum are over 50. There's an upside to being an older vaper, one can afford better toys.

Last edited:

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Hey, Mikey6, another "old fart" reporting in! :D After doing some research on the internet, I quickly decided that the cigalikes weren't going to do. Too many complaints about battery life and such. More reseach got me to the egos, but then someone on line mentioned mods. So, I found my way to the MVP, but it looked HUGE!

Next was finding a B&M where I could see and feel these things. I don't go out much, so wasn't worried about what it looked like to others......'sides I'm way over caring what strangers think. The one store 15 mos ago that was near was 13 miles away in the next town, and they dedicated one young lady to teach me how to vape and show me what was needed. Let me hold the MVP, an Ego and a ProVari which because it was in the 18650 mode seemed rather a bit too long.

I now have several MVP's and several ProVaris and have no problem showing them off to people. Here's an interview I did with The Vapin Greek, Dimitris Agrafiotis. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/564009-i-think-theyre-crazy.html#post13168784 In it am holding my white ProVari.

Your dad should know and have a place to feel comfortable in locally to try juices and get some supplies. Also, see if there is a local vapers club that have "meets". It can be an evenings worth of enjoyment and meeting fellow vapers.

Started vaping at almost 69 and am 70 yrs now. Your pop can do it and kudos to you for helping him see the way! :thumbs:

Mikey6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Bakersfield, CA, USA
To everyone that has replied and had suggestions, thank you. To those thread jackers out there, thank you for the comic relief Haha, always entertaining. This being I may just take him into his B&M and see what he likes and what he wants as a setup. It's going to be his choice and I will just be there to make sure it's all in good working order since I don't know his shop guys and I don't know if they have customer satisfaction on top of the priority list or profit.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Hey, Mikey6, another "old fart" reporting in! :D After doing some research on the internet, I quickly decided that the cigalikes weren't going to do. Too many complaints about battery life and such. More reseach got me to the egos, but then someone on line mentioned mods. So, I found my way to the MVP, but it looked HUGE!

Next was finding a B&M where I could see and feel these things. I don't go out much, so wasn't worried about what it looked like to others......'sides I'm way over caring what strangers think. The one store 15 mos ago that was near was 13 miles away in the next town, and they dedicated one young lady to teach me how to vape and show me what was needed. Let me hold the MVP, an Ego and a ProVari which because it was in the 18650 mode seemed rather a bit too long.

I now have several MVP's and several ProVaris and have no problem showing them off to people. Here's an interview I did with The Vapin Greek, Dimitris Agrafiotis. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/564009-i-think-theyre-crazy.html#post13168784 In it am holding my white ProVari.

Your dad should know and have a place to feel comfortable in locally to try juices and get some supplies. Also, see if there is a local vapers club that have "meets". It can be an evenings worth of enjoyment and meeting fellow vapers.

Started vaping at almost 69 and am 70 yrs now. Your pop can do it and kudos to you for helping him see the way! :thumbs:

That was you in that video? Awesome! I loved your research folder. I would have had one like that too if I'd known there was that much information, not to mention vendors and choices, out there.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
If I weren't so technically inept, I would have saved all on the computer, FlamingoTutu. However, it's hard breaking "old as the hills" habits, and I'm more confortable with "hard" copies.......at least they don't "crash" along with with my computer. Thank you, Tutu, for the compliment! I've had hubby put a "star" on the bathroom door! :p

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
If I weren't so technically inept, I would have saved all on the computer, FlamingoTutu. However, it's hard breaking "old as the hills" habits, and I'm more confortable with "hard" copies.......at least they don't "crash" along with with my computer. Thank you, Tutu, for the compliment! I've had hubby put a "star" on the bathroom door! :p

My wife still writes reminders on post-it notes & pieces of paper and they build up all over the house. I always tell her "You do realize that you can do all of that on your iPad and/or iPhone, and all your notes and reminders will auto back up to all of your devices AND our PC...right?"

She still uses post-it notes [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread