New Variable Voltage device from smoktech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
So, you are saying that when the oscilloscope registers a peak of 9.6v (as it did for fazed and pbusardo), that 9.6v didn't actually enter the circuit? No matter how brief the time, the scope registered that as a peak while loaded. Only the average between peak of 9.6 and 0v (the bottom on both their scopes wasn't much above 0 - not sure why I typed 3, maybe because that's where pbusardo had his set when he was hitting 9.6v peak... must have been on my mind)...

No. If the peak was scoped to be 9.6v with a 1.5 ohm resistor load on the circuit, that doesn't negate ohms law because it happened in pwm and there is an average to be considered. The average is actually not to be considered when calculating the max amps. Calculating max amps, the only thing to consider is the load and the peak voltage.

Fazed was pretty tough on the device and maybe even unfairly so... but then it did fail, so maybe not unfairly so. Tough to say. pbusardo was much more positive, but his didn't die during the same testing. He did note that the pwm was not acting as expected (he stopped short of saying malfunctioning, but did say poorly tuned). And, he probably should have compared his numbers etc with the jokerAV he has instead of the provari since the jokerAV uses the same sort of regulator.

No thanx, I think Ohm's law is good. LOL.

Maybe our problem is the definition of "switch" to me this means the momentary push button switch being used to fire the device (or to do the provari jig on to get to the menu). I'm saying the current draw through that switch is WAY under 1A. Most any DC to DC regulator with more than 3 pins has a low current 'inhibit' pin that controls turning the output on and off. I am assuming that the fire button/switch is connected to that and there for has very little current going through it.

The regulator itself might be doing 6A. Still not a biggie though. My 6A rated OKR regulator doesn't do current limiting until 9.8A and recommended fusing is at 10A.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that the 9.x P2P voltage includes that little micro peak on the leading edge of the wave?? It's hard to see. I'm more interested in what the flat top of the square wave is at. I would expect that to be at the input (battery voltage) or around 8.4v. That would really be the better number to use as that little peak is of such short duration it's not going to have a big effect. IF I remember correctly back when O-scopes where large things on a cart with tubes in them we were taught to calculate P2P voltage based on the flat top/bottom on a square wave not the trigger spikes.

Agree it would've been nice to see the JokerAV thrown in there or that other one... SRV, SVR.. can't recall it's name. Sorry, to me, Phased came across as a paid soldier of the Order (GOOP) in this one.

I could care less if they sell 1 more VMax or Provari. In my mind I saved $100 and got something that's close 'nuff. We all know, one's reality is all in one's perception ;-)

With that said I think it's time for me to retire from this thread.

Skip

Last edited:

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Im not very aware when it comes to all these "Technical Terms" when it comes to the Electronics,Waves etc I must confess I skip the "tech bits" on any video reviews !!!!
Im pretty sure most Vapors base their judgement on what experiences they get out of any particular device and based on my experience the Vmax is a Vapor Beast :vapor:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
One thing i know about Pbusardo is from being a fan of his is that if he doesnt like something he will say it but a lot of times in a way where he doesnt offend anyone. You could kind of tell he thought more since he left out other cons he mentioned earlier in his review.Thats how it looked to me anyway.Im sure he know a lot of vmax fans would put him on blast in a second if he said the wrong thing. Fazed is more say what he sees. I wouldnt call him a Provari fan boy. He has even done reviews where he liked the BP over provari. Just because a person does like the Provari doesnt mean someone cant enjoy a different mod too.

I wouldn't argue with any of Bubba Busardo's reviews. I love the guy's reviews.

I do wish he'd weighed the Provari in the same config he used for the rest of the vid... with the extension cap on it... I wish they'd not used the $159 price if they're gonna show it with the +$25 extension cap... I sorta wish they'd price black one with the extension cap ($204) I mean just to keep our apples and oranges lined up, but I know I'm being .... here. He did have larger voltage 'feel' difference than I get from mine but very little stuff out of China has real tight spec'd QA. I'd like to have understood more of what was said with the duct tape on. I strongly suspect he was talking about how closely they copied the Provari... sure did. Since when has China NOT done that? Don't take this too far though... who invented the e-cigg?

Phased... with his Provari vendor provided, we took a hammer to it first, unit, well that's another story.

PS: OK, OK, I'll leave it alone... un-subscribed now.

Last edited:

adami

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
usa
Counting the extension cap makes sense. Counting the cost of the exterior upgrade (black or polished) is silly bordering on ridiculous. You might as well show the gold ProVari's price.

The VMax is not a ProVari. I'm not sure who invited the comparison first, but it's obvious at this point that the VMax simply can't match a lot of the ProVari's advanced features. Maybe an upgraded future version, but not the ones being reviewed. Where the VMax outshines the ProVari is in very high current applications that the ProVari simply won't accommodate. The price is lower and now that vendors are ignoring the price-fixing it's becoming a more compelling option.

The VMax is what it is. It's not a ProVari but that doesn't mean it's "bad." I expect to see it soon for half the cost of a ProVari. There are plenty of reasons to buy either one.

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
Counting the extension cap makes sense. Counting the cost of the exterior upgrade (black or polished) is silly bordering on ridiculous. You might as well show the gold ProVari's price.

The VMax is not a ProVari. I'm not sure who invited the comparison first, but it's obvious at this point that the VMax simply can't match a lot of the ProVari's advanced features. Maybe an upgraded future version, but not the ones being reviewed. Where the VMax outshines the ProVari is in very high current applications that the ProVari simply won't accommodate. The price is lower and now that vendors are ignoring the price-fixing it's becoming a more compelling option.

The VMax is what it is. It's not a ProVari but that doesn't mean it's "bad." I expect to see it soon for half the cost of a ProVari. There are plenty of reasons to buy either one.

Stick the Battery,s in attach an atty and set your preferred voltage and away you go ;o) Please enlighten me as to what more "advanced features I need "
It does what it says on the Tin :blink:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Counting the extension cap makes sense. Counting the cost of the exterior upgrade (black or polished) is silly bordering on ridiculous. You might as well show the gold ProVari's price.The VMax is not a ProVari. I'm not sure who invited the comparison first, but it's obvious at this point that the VMax simply can't match a lot of the ProVari's advanced features. Maybe an upgraded future version, but not the ones being reviewed. Where the VMax outshines the ProVari is in very high current applications that the ProVari simply won't accommodate. The price is lower and now that vendors are ignoring the price-fixing it's becoming a more compelling option.

Agree with the first bolded quote, baffled by the second.

I messaged skip (I'm gonna miss that fella - or might he just post in this thread again? :) ) and advised him to forget the price thing, because we have "bigger fish to fry". I also don't know where he came up with the "$139" in his last post. Messaged him that he might want to revise that number, but no reply. Not sure he likes me all that much.

But "advanced features"? What advanced features?

First, before saying any more, just to distance myself from any possible "VMax Fanboy" labelling, I just posted this in another thread on another forum, where someone was pondering whether to buy the VMax v1.? or the new 4 amp [IIRC] Lavatube:

"If I were about to be stranded on a desert island with a 110v outlet, and had to choose between the V2max and the ProVari V2, I'd take the ProVari in a New York nanosecond. The VMax is obviously very new, and has a long way to go before proving itself in the areas that the ProVari is deservedly legendary for. It might take a while before it is refined, reprogrammed, or otherwise tweaked to make it more of a ProVari-class APV in reliability (if v1.0 really does have issues there - mine is fine) and "driveability" ("Jane, how do you stop this crazy thinggggg!"). But since I'm not marooned at the moment, my next purchase will be another VMax or two, preferably "miscalibrated" just like the first one. I do not believe in de-clawing (wild)cats".

Now, a little more about that "review" by "Fazed", who I now have about zero respect for. What a major embarrassment to himself and to Reviewing in general! Oh ... my .... God. What a blatant hatchet-job.

Let's see:

I can't show you how to go through the menu because the unit stopped working.
I can't show you how it vapes because the unit stopped working.
I can't show you "the [unintelligible at 6:56] on this thing, but "I don't get to do that" because the unit stopped working.

Say, your unit didn't happen to stop working, did it? Cuz I'm getting that vibe .... not sure though ......

At 6:51: "I'm pressing the button, BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!" (!!!!!!!!!!!) OH MY GOD, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!! WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!!!!!!! THERE GOES TOKYO!!!!!!!!!
clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclicketyclicketyclicketyclickclickclick .....clickclickclick ...hmm, maybe if I keep clicking it .... ?

No, I guess it isn't working ...... maybe you could get a functioning unit to do an actual review of, and just very appropriately point out in it that your first unit stopped working?

As I said ...... embarrassing.

Again, offered to you all as a good example of how not to do a review, and how to lose credibility and reputation throughout the Vaposphere, here is the link to the embarassment of which I speak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQTCNGMN08

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
No, I guess it isn't working ...... maybe you could get a functioning unit to do an actual review of, and just very appropriately point out in it that your first unit stopped working?

As I said ...... embarrassing.

Watch his other reviews. That fellow is really picky about aesthetics and that's exactly how he treated at least 1 other review where the device was unusable. He wasn't saying or doing anything that is unusual when a device doesn't look or act like he wants it to. - This is, however, the first review I've seen him do on something he didn't purchase himself. In the vapetv interview, he does mention that he didn't purchase the device and that he's moderating a forum for those who did purchase the device. He also mentions that they have another one on the way so he will be either re-reviewing or updating the review.

So. The VMax will have another opportunity to get through a fazed review. I'll be interested to see if the next one is better... or maybe I should clarify: I'll be interested to see *both* a complete review *and* a working unit that survives a full review -- but also if he forgives the first ones' failure in the second review (assuming the next one works).

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
"If I were about to be stranded on a desert island with a 110v outlet, and had to choose between the V2max and the ProVari V2, I'd take the ProVari in a New York nanosecond. [/url]

What if the choice was three Vmax or one ProVari. Because at the price we're paying on the co-op, you have three+ for the price of one.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Watch his other reviews.

I will try to devote some time over the weekend to ponder whether I will do that, or poke hot needles into my eyeballs.

This guy has zero credibility with me, and I am going to do everything I can to call attention to what I say again was an utter embarrassment of a (so-called) "review".

I just got my VMax back after a week of being out on loan.

Reunited (Peaches & Herbs) with lyrics - YouTube )

My end cap screws on beautifully, and bears no resemblance to the out-of-round, rattle-prone example depicted in "Fazed"'s borderline-criminal [IMO] attack piece. I very honestly suspect sabotage, which I would regard as unconscionable, or at the very least, slightly less unconscionable exploitation of what might just have been a sub-standard "factory second", gleefully seized upon. The perpetrators of any possible such chicanery, not saying that any actually exists, would appear most likely to be the folks at Best Electronic Cigarette Reviews - Top E-cig Brands Compared who provided the VMax used in the review, and whose home page proudly features the ProVari Mini, part of the ProVape lineup that they declare "The Best of the Best". Not one inclined to engage in such hyperbole, I'll just say that while not saying it's "the best", I do like my "Beast".

So quick show of hands please; picking just one of the observations of the seemingly objectvity-challenged "Fazed", how many Vmax owners here have end caps that rattle about when screwed into the tube after battery replacement? Mine fits very, very well, and I can't make it move .001 mm no matter how I try. It fits virtually perfectly, and I use the term "virtually" only because of my fondness for precision of speech, and not because I see or experience anything objectionable whatsoever.

Again, I am looking very much forward to spreading this "review" far and wide, and let it speak for itself regarding its reflection on the reviewer's objectivity and credibility, or more to the point; the apparent paucity thereof.

Among other places, I might just be post it, and my comments, in their entirety, in this thread on it, in this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...do-review-v-max-smoktech-all-about-vapor.html in this forum, started by Phil Busardo, who I consider to be a very fine reviewer indeed.

That brings me directly to the comments by Str8V8ping, which would be included in Phil's thread, also in their entirety: [Actually just decided that a simple link will suffice - gotta conserve bandwidth after all.]

One thing i know about Pbusardo is from being a fan of his is that if he doesnt like something he will say it but a lot of times in a way where he doesnt offend anyone. You could kind of tell he thought more since he left out other cons he mentioned earlier in his review.Thats how it looked to me anyway.Im sure he know a lot of vmax fans would put him on blast in a second if he said the wrong thing. Fazed is more say what he sees. I wouldnt call him a Provari fan boy. He has even done reviews where he liked the BP over provari. Just because a person does like the Provari doesnt mean someone cant enjoy a different mod too.

Mr. Busardo might have more than a passing interest in your expressed view that he is afraid to give his honest opinion about something because he's afraid of what people might say and think. That does not sound very much like the Phil Busardo that I know something of, and as I said, admire greatly. "Fazed is more say what he sees"? Wow ..... you might want to steer clear of Rochester, NY.

Finally, on to our resident island-hopper, speaking of desert islands ...

What if the choice was three Vmax or one ProVari. Because at the price we're paying on the co-op, you have three+ for the price of one.

At this point, I honestly have insufficient data to go on. Courtney at All About Vapor has told me that of their first batch of VMax v1.0's, they have had one returned with a button problem. I have heard rumblings about others, including the widely-splattered problem that Lessup says he had with his, although it appears that he prefers his "wall decoration" to my cash, and appears to be unfamiliar with the concept of a "warranty", which for the VMax is one year if I have that right.

There are other variables to consider that are hard to nail down. Are we talking about three VMax 1.0's? How long will I be stranded? Will any "button issue", if there turns out to be one, be addressed and fixed, in which case would we then be talking about three VMax v1.x's? Will enough time have passed for me to be reasonably sure that the hypothetically "rectified" device as a whole will be as reliable as I currently believe the ProVari to be?

At this exact moment, assuming an island stay of 5 years, and a choice of three VMax 1.0's vs. one Provari V2, I would have to go with the Provari. It just has too good a proven history of reliability to make me feel comfortable with the VMax for such a prolonged and lonely stay, a loneliness that I feel could likely be best assuaged by the company of a good vape, with the possible exception of an abundance of coconuts and bananas. But I would still miss the vape, and could probably never eat another banana for the rest of my life.

Now I'm off to apply for an ISBN number for this post. Enjoy your MODERATED damned vape all, and if you're happy with your device, I am very, very happy for you.

Now I'm off to watch one of my favorite programs, "As the Reputation Crumbles".

Last edited by a moderator:

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Courtney at All About Vapor has told me that of their first batch of VMax v1.0's, they have had one returned with a button problem. I have heard rumblings about others, including the widely-splattered problem that Lessup says he had with his, although it appears that he prefers his "wall decoration" to my cash, and appears to be unfamiliar with the concept of a "warranty", which for the VMax is one year if I have that right.

There are other variables to consider that are hard to nail down. Are we talking about three VMax 1.0's? How long will I be stranded? Will any "button issue", if there turns out to be one, be addressed and fixed, in which case would we then be talking about three VMax v1.x's? Will enough time have passed for me to be reasonably sure that the hypothetically "rectified" device as a whole will be as reliable as I currently believe the ProVari to be?
Are the Vmax currently being shipped 1.1 or just 1.0 with the button fixed?

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Are the Vmax currently being shipped 1.1 or just 1.0 with the button fixed?

Not yet absolutely convinced that the button "needs fixing", but let's say that it does. She knew nothing about any factory fixes, and as I said, her only insight into the button is that they have had one returned. When I talked to her yesterday she said she would be talking to the factory rep last night, and that she would fill me in.

I gave her a list of questions I'd like answers to, which she said she'd realate to her contact:

Is there a known button problem, and when will it be addressed/what "version" wil it be addressed in.

Will the voltage be reset to 3.0 when batteries are replaced.

Any way to retain the settings as on another leading APV.

How about they consider incorporating variable wattage into future versions; use Menu Option 2 for that, instead of the relatively superfluous "Voltage Down".

Can she get some spare buttons for v1.0's so we can possibly do "field repairs", assuming a problem does exist.

Will the v1.1 really be de-clawed, with a voltage output more in keeping with the apparently very fine sensibilities of some people who seem to require that the device put out what they think it should be putting out at a specific voltage readout.

Will you be able to turn off the large LED readout, and not just the button LED, which is indeed "wiggida wiggida whack" as it stands.

Probably a few other things, but eff it all, I'm sick of this crap, and should really just log off and go get **** (uh... some Chinese [how appropriate, no?] lol. And I did, too - sesame chicken - yum!)

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Take it easy with that. It's offensive.

You know what was offensive? Your buddy's video, that's what was offensive.

I said "enjoy your MODERATED damned vape all" because I am extremely sick and tired of the "APV Wars", and wish to hell that people could just politely, when deemed necessary, discuss what they see as the relative merits of their stuff without turning the vaping experience into a contest about who's got the best device. If you like yours, great, and enjoy your MODERATEDdamned vape.

Any comments on any of the other views I've expressed, or are you just mainly interested in deflecting attention away from your reviewer acquaintance and what I consider to be a sub-par performance and disservice to vapers everywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Your so quick to discredit and crucify a good reviewer just because he doesnt like what he sees in your product. Obviously the problems were there since he captured it in video.I cant see fazed making a bad review on purpose. You cant expect any type of quality control with a chinese product. After all its mass produced stamped steel not precision machining. If you cant trust the tube its in then i surely cant trust the quality control of the electronics in it. If the Vmax was anything like the Provari i wouldnt mind picking one up but from all the problems i hear id much rather pick up another provari for 30 bucks more with 0 problems. I guess its one of those things where you need to feel the provari before knowing the difference. The lavatube was also super popular when it first came out. If the only thing good that could be said about the vmax is a higher unusable amp limit ill pass because all that amp limit will give someone is burnt carto filler. The provari will throw a error code saying "turn it down if you like your carto" which is a positive not a negative.

No APV wars . If any mod works for you all power to them. If theres any wars its your comments discrediting great well known reviewers and bashing the provari.

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Your so quick to discredit and crucify a good reviewer just because he doesnt like what he sees in your product. Obviously the problems were there since he captured it in video. I cant see fazed making a bad review on purpose. You cant expect any type of quality control with a chinese product. After all its mass produced stamped steel not precision machining. If you cant trust the tube its in then i surely cant trust the quality control of the electronics in it. If the Vmax was anything like the Provari i wouldnt mind picking one up but from all the problems i hear id much rather pick up another provari for 30 bucks more with 0 problems. I guess its one of those things where you need to feel the provari before knowing the difference. The lavatube was also super popular when it first came out. If the only thing good that could be said about the vmax is a higher unusable amp limit ill pass because all that amp limit will give someone is burnt carto filler. The provari will throw a error code saying "turn it down if you like your carto" which is a positive not a negative.

No APV wars . If any mod works for you all power to them. If theres any wars its your comments discrediting great well known reviewers and bashing the provari.

"I cant see fazed making a bad review on purpose".

And yet that is what I just witnessed, in my opinion. Of course, I leave it to other unfortunate viewers of it to formulate their own opinion.

"You cant expect any type of quality control with a chinese product"

I find that to be a wildly inaccurate statement and a gross exaggeration of reality.

"[Your] so quick to discredit and crucify a good reviewer"

If you're referring to "Fazed", I just want to make the vaping community aware of what kind of review they might want to avoid making if they want to retain the maximum amount of credibility. I would not call that "crucifying" anyone. And he put that on YouTube, not me. That said, he's free to take it down, which might just be a fine idea. Have you seen it?

" ...and bashing the provari"

I would absolutely LOVE to have you show me anywhere that I have bashed the ProVari.

And "No APV wars"? Is that really what you're going with, speaking of credibility? And as for my comments that review, I'm just commenting on it. In my opinion, it "discredits" itself. And if you don't like my review of that review, maybe you could consider not attacking me for it just because I don't particularly care for what I see in it. It's a two-way street from where I sit.

Other than this, I refer you to my previous comments.

Last edited:

Sedateme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Bismarck, ND
This thread needs a hug.

161977.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread