New Variable Voltage device from smoktech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
Off topic: Yesterday I got the all new lavatube 1.5 produced by young june. Performing better then the lavatube from L-Rider. DC cartos in a tank measuring at 2.0 Ohms in the proper lavatube display, at 4.5-4.8 Ohms producing clouds of vapour. All the inards are changed, I dont know what they did exactly, but it gives definatelly much more power. Then, normal volt meters dont work with it. so it doesn´t let me do any measuring with my simple multy meter and madvapes voltmeter.. Would need somebody with more profesional equipment to do so.

Overall very satisfied, great performer for the money, much improved compaired toL-Riders lavatube 1, also Ohm metering displayed in the proper display, and batterry charge level allways on screen, with bars, like in mobile phones.

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
fsroq, yes, it does that for almost all "values". But that's because it reads the input voltage from the circuit to the atomizer, instead of the atomizer output voltage. Doesn't accounts for the voltage drop from the atty. But it really performs well :)

Should perform equal or better then some good boxmods, boxmods with evercool, or the simple madvapes do outperform most of the fancy stuff, and the Vmax will most likely do.

ita

Reviewer / Blogger
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Portugal
vaper.imbl.net
Yes it is PWM indeed, it has the same shape as the 1.0 version, but inside it is completely diferent, other booster, other suporting electronics.

The producer better would have given it another shape and name. Hope you can put your hands at one soon.

I see that i have to ehehe. I'll try then :).
Thanks! :)

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
@ caged
I have one and i really like it! :) My only dislike is really the button :/

My experience is based on the E-Power, which was supposed to be regulated but is not. Also, the paint chips off easily and the switches have issues (my first switch had bad 510 connector threads and an extremely stiff button, the second switch does not work with dual coil cartos). Also, the connectore is non standard which can cause problems with the draw (too tight).

Just saying before people get too excited about this thing, realize who makes it.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
personally, I don't trust anything from Smoktech. Manufacturing consistency is terrible.

Just saying before people get too excited about this thing, realize who makes it.

I'm fully aware of who makes it.

I have a Smoktech Woo, Smoktech e-Power 14650, and Smoktech DCT tank that I use Smoktech cartomizers in. They have all performed nearly flawlessly, and I'm very pleased with both the quality and performance of Smoktech products. I'm also very much looking forward to owning and using the VMax as soon as I can get my hands on one, as I think it will very likely be the best-performing VV tube APV on the (mainstream) market.

My experience is based on the E-Power [with an early switch that has since been much improved], which was supposed to be regulated but is not. Also, the paint chips off easily and the switches have issues (my first switch had bad 510 connector threads and an extremely stiff button, the second switch does not work with dual coil cartos). Also, the connectore is non standard which can cause problems with the draw (too tight).

My e-Power with the latest improved switch is putting out a regulated 3.71 volts from a 14650 battery that reads 4.13 volts. And I actually have two Smoktech 14650's - an earlier one, with a black paint finish that is indeed a bit scratched up, and the latest version, which has a rubbery black finish like a Joyetech that is holding up just great. The Woo has the same excellent finish, as will, I suspect, the black VMax. The threads and draw on all of them have been excellent, with the connector slotted just a little bit more than on my Joyetech eGo-T battery.

I don't think it's fair to slam current Smoktech products based on earlier models that were not as good.

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Give the VMax a fair shake and see what the first US users and reviewers think about it. It's too early to make an accurate evaluation of this VV: it's barely reaching the US market now.

Based on my experience using Smoktech products including E-Power 14650 and cartos, the Smoktech name is a plus.

I suppose. It's just hard to believe a company that produces products of questionable quality, partakes in illegal activity (price fixing), and that has no experience with VV devices will suddenly produce the greatest PV the world has ever known. I do not expect it to come close to living up to the hype it has generated.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I suppose. It's just hard to believe a company that produces products of questionable quality, partakes in illegal activity (price fixing), and that has no experience with VV devices will suddenly produce the greatest PV the world has ever known. I do not expect it to come close to living up to the hype it has generated.

They have some experience with VV. The varicool has been around a while. It's not high end but, for the money, it seems to be pretty good.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I suppose. It's just hard to believe a company that produces products of questionable quality ...

Obviously just your opinion, which you're entitled to, but certainly not fact, as it seems to be presented as.

... partakes in illegal activity (price fixing)

Please compare and contrast "price fixing" with the more apt "Resale price maintenance", which cannot be accurately labeled "illegal", at least according to US law.

"On June 28, 2007, the Supreme Court overruled Dr. Miles, discussed below, holding that such vertical price restraints as Minimum Advertised Pricing are not per se unlawful but, rather, must be judged under the "rule of reason." Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc., Slip Op. No. 06–480 (Decided June 28, 2007).[4] This marked a dramatic shift on how attorneys and enforcement agencies address the legality of contractual minimum prices, and essentially allowed the reestablishment of resale price maintenance in the United States in most (but not all) commercial situations".

Resale price maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.. and that has no experience with VV devices will suddenly produce the greatest PV the world has ever known. I do not expect it to come close to living up to the hype it has generated.

I expect it to come very close indeed. I don't think it takes years of experience to design an excellent device with such relatively simple electronics as those involved in an APV.

You don't like Smoktech. We get it. But I don't think that your experience with an early, imperfect product of theirs warrants such a negative view of the company and its products both current and future.

fsroq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Spain
Some people are wanting us to believe that building this mod is rocket science.

It is not. It is very simple. As simple as building an evercool box mod which is build by many people with very basic knowledge. So a factory with engeneers and other specialized people like smoktech will be perfectly able to build such a simple thing as the Vmax.

So there is no need for questioning this.

Then this is China produced, at a selling tag of 45-50 bucks buying a minimum of 50 pieces, so quality and durability will be acording to that. Or if I compaire it to a Lavatube, at nearly twice the money in origen, quality should be far better then the lava, which is a mod sold at the price of the cheapest VV boxes, and not bad for the money.

Last edited:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
fsroq, yes, it does that for almost all "values". But that's because it reads the input voltage from the circuit to the atomizer, instead of the atomizer output voltage. Doesn't accounts for the voltage drop from the atty. But it really performs well :)
Wouldn't the RMS voltage be a bit higher if you were using a RMS meter?
Excellent video BTW, wish you'd re-do in English ;-)

Last edited:

ita

Reviewer / Blogger
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Portugal
vaper.imbl.net
My experience is based on the E-Power, which was supposed to be regulated but is not. Also, the paint chips off easily and the switches have issues (my first switch had bad 510 connector threads and an extremely stiff button, the second switch does not work with dual coil cartos). Also, the connectore is non standard which can cause problems with the draw (too tight).

Well, the E-Power is a different and old story... it started bad since the beginning with the EXO from Kingera. They had ripped the model off and did it bad too lol.
When i first saw the vmax i also thought it would suck (mainly due the construction material) but it turns out to be ok (only later on we can really see if it lasts or not :) ). Not saying that its the greatest (or worse) vv but i was surprised with it and i'm really enjoying it :)

Wouldn't the RMS voltage be a bit higher if you were using a RMS meter?
Excellent video BTW, which you'd re-do in English ;-)
Not really. You would have "two" voltages. Vmax and Vmin, then the average that is the V that the Vmax (kinda) reads out.
I've found a video where they're using a rms multi, here: link

btw, a funny thing happened when i was using the vmax with the kanger 510 horizontal cartos, here (listen careful at about 1m20s e 3m). This only happens (in the vmax) with these cartos lolol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread