New york sales ban next steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
.....The bill will pass, Like I said, you can't stop a politician....

VOTING is the only way to stop a politician, make it clear in all correspondence that you will VOTE
for anyone who opposes the ban, and will contribute to, VOTE against, get friends and family to
VOTE against, campaign against anyone who supports this bill.

If a politician sees support for a bill as costing them VOTES they will see the light.

JohnKing

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
FL
If this law is enacted will we still be able to purchase from out of state vendors and have them shipped here?

It's possible that vendors would simply stop shipping to NY.

This type of state legislation is just "practice" for far more wide reaching government influence. If this flies grab your vapes granny, this will be war on you.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
If this law is enacted will we still be able to purchase from out of state vendors and have them shipped here?

My apologies if I've already asked you this or if you've posted about it, but have you contacted your Assemblyperson, preferably by phone or in-person meeting?

Why can't the federal court decision be enforced? I wonder if the ACLU would help us?

The federal court decision was just about granting a preliminary injunction -- i.e., telling the FDA that while the court case proceeds, they can't confiscate e-cigarette shipments belonging to njoy and the other plaintiff. The judge's opinion on whether e-cigarettes are tobacco products is just that at this juncture -- an opinion.

I do like your idea of contacting the ACLU. While a constitutional right is not at issue, there's a slight possibility they'd be persuaded by the argument that NY is putting public health at risk simply because the federal government and the FDA refuse to classify e-cigarettes as a tobacco product. I'll try to put in a phone call on Monday.

Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I have sent emails.

Is your representative on the Codes Committee? Democrat or Republican? New York State Assembly - Committees, Commissions, and Task Forces

If so, it is imperative that you call his or her office and ask for an in-person meeting. E-mails are read by aides, and considering the number of out-of-state and out-of-district e-mails they're receiving, yours was very likely ignored.

If not, and the bill passes out of the Codes Committee, then it will be the time to try to get that meeting.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I called Dennis H. Gabryszak, and when I get through to him, I'm going to setup a meeting... I live within walking distance to his office.

Great! He's not on the Codes Committee, but his vote will still be needed when the bill comes to the floor. If you need any help with documents to bring, how to respond to certain arguments, etc., please ask myself, Vocalek, Bill Godshall, or any other of the extremely well-informed people on this board.

Diveron, I looked up Assemblyman Gabryszak's website. It appears that this Assemblyman Robin Schimminger ( New York State Assembly - Member Section ) is on the Codes Committee, and his district office is only 15 minutes away from Gabryszak's. You may know people who live in his district! You can use this website to determine if you have friends or family members within his district. New York State Board of Elections - Interactive Map

If you do, please educate them on the e-cigarette, tell them about how much it has improved your health, and convince them to CALL Mr. Schimminger's office and request that they be called back. If any Democrats buck the party line and Ms. Rosenthal, it's going to most likely be because of concerns they've heard from their constituents.

Unfortunately, every person on the Codes Commitee besides Assemblyman Schimminger is from New York, Staten Island, Brooklyn, and towns that border the East Coast, but you have a great opportunity to get working on Mr. Schimminger. Please investigate.

Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Is your representative on the Codes Committee? Democrat or Republican? New York State Assembly - Committees, Commissions, and Task Forces

Placebo, please be aware that the Assembly website site IS NOT up to date with changes since the election, and in the committee makeup for this session. We found that out by initially relying on the site for the Health Committee makeup, only to discover when making phone calls that we were missing four new members, and some on our list were not on the committee anymore.

The same problem applies to the Codes Committee. That's why I put up a full list of the current Codes Committee members yesterday in the OP here, and on CASAA. We got the list from the Chairs office.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Placebo, please be aware that the Assembly website site IS NOT up to date with changes since the election, and in the committee makeup for this session. We found that out by initially relying on the site for the Health Committee makeup, only to discover when making phone calls that we were missing four new members, and some on our list were not on the committee anymore.

The same problem applies to the Codes Committee. That's why I put up a full list of the current Codes Committee members yesterday in the OP here, and on CASAA. We got the list from the Chairs office.

Thanks for the correction. My mistake. Fortunately Schimminger is still on the Codes Committee.

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
This might be way off base, but NYC has a close relationship with tv/film industry and we know that there are actors who use the product. it made me wonder why there have been no ads for Vaping? Are there laws against that or the Vaping companies just don't use that marketing technique?

Forgive me if this sounds really juvenile or whatever (still lack concentration due to withdrawal) but is there any coalition of actors et al promoting/working in NYC that could be contacted for assistance?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Forgive me if this sounds really juvenile or whatever (still lack concentration due to withdrawal) but is there any coalition of actors et al promoting/working in NYC that could be contacted for assistance?
We've all been hoping the celebrities that vape would step up.
But so far there has been limited exposure, although it is slowly increasing.

You'd think that these folks that have no hesitance with advertisting their beliefs on a national stage would be more forthcoming.
But apparently, this hasn't really become a topic worth fighting for in their eyes yet.

Nickx786

Dec 27, 2010
Kansas
We've all been hoping the celebrities that vape would step up.
But so far there has been limited exposure, although it is slowly increasing.

You'd think that these folks that have no hesitance with advertisting their beliefs on a national stage would be more forthcoming.
But apparently, this hasn't really become a topic worth fighting for in their eyes yet.

or they might not know about the Ban cause if i didnt read this forum i wouldnt have a clue that they are trying to ban E cigs to bad we dont know a vaper who knows a movie star lol

Divreon

Oct 7, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have an appointment, so far the assemblyman sounds positive. I'm going to bring my kit, and my supplies. most of them are new and polished.

Anyone have nice official looking documents explaining some of the commonly asked questions about e-cigarettes?

Any recommendations of things to bring with me? I have my 510 kit, my ego-T kit, my propylene glycol bottle. An empty bottle of Miralax(almost 100% propylene glycol), a stick of deodorant(#1 Ingredient), and a bottle of hair conditioner(4-5th ingredient).

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
An empty bottle of Miralax(almost 100% propylene glycol), a stick of deodorant(#1 Ingredient), and a bottle of hair conditioner(4-5th ingredient).

It won't impress anyone bringing non-food items with PG in it. Look for some food or asthma inhaler with PG in it. It's also been pumped into hospitals to kill germs, icluding children's hospitals, so everyone in the hospital inhales PG. (Not all hospitals, but some). There's really good articles and research on PG safety, I don't remember where but the links are on this forum somewhere. I'd print them out and take them too.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Ingredients found in aerosol room fresheners which means when you use them you do inhale these ingredients.

Water - Diluent
n-Butane - Propellant
Propane - Propellant
Fragrance - Fragrance
Sorbitan Oleate - Cleaning Agent
Sodium Nitrite - Corrosion Inhibitor
Propylene Glycol - Solvent
Sodium Bicarbonate Cleaning Agent - Alkalinity

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I have an appointment, so far the assemblyman sounds positive. I'm going to bring my kit, and my supplies. most of them are new and polished.

Anyone have nice official looking documents explaining some of the commonly asked questions about e-cigarettes?

Any recommendations of things to bring with me? I have my 510 kit, my ego-T kit, my propylene glycol bottle. An empty bottle of Miralax(almost 100% propylene glycol), a stick of deodorant(#1 Ingredient), and a bottle of hair conditioner(4-5th ingredient).

Some combo of these would be good, although the third one is designed to combat indoor air bans.

I'd definitely highlight a few of the idiotic things that have been said in support of this bill, and why the statements are wrong:
- We don't know what is in an e-cigarette
- Ohhh no! They're from China!
- E-cigarettes target youths (not true, but amend the damn legislation anyway)
- E-cigarettes feed a nicotine addiction

http://www.casaa.org/files/8 Biggest Electronic Cigarette Myths(2).pdf

http://www.casaa.org/files/Are Electronic Cigarettes Safe.pdf

http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA_Legislative_Packet_Regarding_Indoor_Bans_Web.pdf

http://www.casaa.org/files/FAQs sheet(2).pdf

http://www.casaa.org/files/ECA The_Facts_About_Electronic_Cigarettes.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread