New York State S06939 - Prohibits sale of e-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I move we kick New York out of the Union, or perhaps we could give it to China to pay off our debt.

Despite being ruled by totalitarian despots, the Chinese are basically rational. Why on earth do you think they'd want New York State, even for free?

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
As I've stated before, somebody's lying.

In 2012, $43.7b was collected in excise, sales and MSA taxes on cigarettes. That's a lot of addiction.

http://www.rjrt.com/taxpays.aspx

However, the cost of smoking is established in 2011 as almost $295b. "More than $289 billion a year, including at least $133 billion in direct medical care for adults and more than $156 billion in lost productivity. $5.6 billion a year (2006 data) in lost productivity from exposure to secondhand smoke"

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Now the health costs don't go away immediately. I understand that. However if every smoker quit smoking today that $43.7b would be offset by the claimed $161.6b in lost productivity 3.7 times over.

Would someone tell me how you calculate lost productivity? What is the formula. Lost productivity due to second hand smoke..... give me a break. The direct medical cost is BS also. I'm sure if you hit your thumb with a hammer and you also smoke, then it is somehow smoke related. During the 43 years I smoked, no doctor ever told me that anything I came down with was "smoke related". Who are the doctors reporting these smoke related plagues? They make up these numbers, throw them out, and obviously they stick.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Would someone tell me how you calculate lost productivity? What is the formula. Lost productivity due to second hand smoke..... give me a break. The direct medical cost is BS also. I'm sure if you hit your thumb with a hammer and you also smoke, then it is somehow smoke related. During the 43 years I smoked, no doctor ever told me that anything I came down with was "smoke related". Who are the doctors reporting these smoke related plagues? They make up these numbers, throw them out, and obviously they stick.

Smoking related means anything that happens to a smoker. Here's where all the smoking related deaths come to be reported:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/DEATH11-03final-ACC.pdf

It's a CDC guidance document on how to properly fill out a death certificate. Look at the first example, the person died of coronary artery disease and the box for "tobacco use related to death?" is checked as yes. How do they know this? They can't possibly know it. Probably just checked because he was known to be a smoker. Even if he only smoked on Friday nights at the bar in his twenties and quit doing that 40 years ago.

The instructions state "Check “yes” if, in your opinion, the use of tobacco contributed to death. Tobacco use may contribute to deaths due to a wide variety of diseases; for example, tobacco use contributes to many deaths due to emphysema or lung cancer and some heart disease and cancers of the head and neck. Check “no” if, in your clinical judgment, tobacco use did not contribute to this particular death."

But the directions in the funeral director's handbook adds as a reason to check the box "fires started by smoking", so I'm sure that even if the cause of death was blunt force trauma caused by falling off your roof and there were cigarette butts on the ground, they would check the box because you probably got distracted for a second and caused the accident yourself. Another tobacco related death.

I'm sure there is some other related type document that has the same box for reporting all the other illnesses/injuries that don't result it death. Otherwise how would we get the figures for how many people have diabetes or are migraine sufferers or how many people fall of their roofs every year?

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
I agree Fulgurant, it will most likely die a quiet death in the legislature; after all, if they ban it, they can't tax it. And I have a seat that the (dis)honorable Mr. Hannon can sniff, IYKWIM. Funny thing is, these tyrants and the people who support them will get lined up in front of the ditch they dug without a clue as to why. I am getting really tired of telling them that it's only a matter of time before they will be the ones in the cross hairs.

turnforward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
San Diego
JUST STOP {MODERATED} ABOUT IT, AND DO SOMETHING!

I E-Mailed the following to the guy.

hannon@nysenate.gov

I don't understand, Electronic Cigarettes are a Miracle, a Godsend. They have Saved My Life, my brothers life, all my friends lives (they all have switched) and the countless of others that have switched through them. NO ONE has died from E-Cigs, while many hundreds have committed suicide while on Chantix (they have just made an out of court settlement for the victims and their family's). While many people die of overdoses from prescription drugs EVERY MONTH: NO ONE HAD DIED FROM E_CIGS. It is wrong (and I say EVIL) to try to outlaw them.

The thing you don't understand is: That everyone that have switched, and their families that have noticed a marked improvement of their health, feel exactly like I do. It would be a mistake on your part to continue on this path. The last time I tried quitting smoking (using Chantix), after about a month of not smoking, I was so depressed and despairing of life. While realizing my depression was from the DRUG, I made a decision: Stop taking Chantix, and I said to myself "Screw this. I love smoking and I am not ever going to quit." But thanks to this miracle invention, I quit smoking three and a half years ago. Now, YOU"RE telling me that you want me to go back to smoking. All I can say is, screw you. Ain't gonna happen. I and many many others are going to fight you all the way, pay money to get you out of office so you can't screw up the live of anyone else. The only way you can take my E-Juice from me is by taking it out of my "cold, dead hands". GOT IT!

We all have to do this, and if they don't listen, we have to PAY MONEY to get them OUT of office.
This same thing happened with Ephedra Diet Pills a while back. One guy with heart problems died from it, and the media went bonkers about it, even while many thousands of other people die of all kinds of innocuous stuff every year. Do you see Ephedra extract Diet Pills any more? NO. And just consider this: There were over a HUNDRED MILLION people worldwide using them when they outlawed them.
If you just complain and don't fight. We will lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
JUST STOP {MODERATED} ABOUT IT, AND DO SOMETHING!

I have sent the guy an email. It's one of countless emails and letters I've sent over the last several months, most of them probably in a futile effort, but hey, no harm in trying.

This case seems to me to be worse than futile, though. The Hannon press release isn't just propaganda; it's brazenly obvious propaganda. It would make Leni Riefenstahl blush. I believe Hannon's bill can and will be defeated, but he ain't gonna withdraw it. He can't be reasoned with; he can't be shamed. When a politician advocates for an outright product ban on the basis of arguments that even a two-year-old could trivially refute, he's either irredeemably stupid or hopelessly corrupt.

I know we're all used to scare-mongering irrationality, but this guy's on a whole 'nother level. It frankly scares the hell out of me that any semi-prominent politician would put his name to something like that press release.

Last edited by a moderator:

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Thanks, turnforward and Fulgurant for your efforts. I have written several letters and called not only my reps offices (senator and state rep), but have also written to the appalling Mr. Hannon and called his office even though he doesn't represent my district. I have also posted to the FB wall of local vaping groups with the text of this legislation.

It's sad but true that this must be fought at every turn, by every means necessary. I made it very clear to the Mr. (dis)honorable Hannon that I will actively do anything possible to assure he doesn't see re-election, up to and including donating to and volunteering for opposing candidates. Enough is enough.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Smoking kills 450,000 users and second hand users a year. Some report claims 215 people get poisoned a year but provides no information or clarification. God do these politicians even read the stuff they supported that demonized us when we were smokers? All the ammo to fight against banning our salvation is written by them on anti smoking websites.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Note: CASAA has issued THREE Calls to Action for New York State today:

Call to Action! NY State Bills Would Impose a 75% or 95% tax on E-Cigarettes and Raise the Tax on Low-Risk Smokeless Tobacco
CASAA: Call to Action! New York State Bills Would Impose a 75% or 95% tax on E-Cigarettes and Raise the Tax on Low-Risk Smokeless Tobacco

Call to Action! New York State Bill Would Ban Sale of E-Cigarette Liquid
CASAA: Call to Action! New York State Bill Would Ban Sale of E-Cigarette Liquid

Call to Action! New York State Bill Would Ban E-Cigarette Use Wherever Smoking is Prohibited
CASAA: Call to Action! New York State Bill Would Ban E-Cigarette Use Wherever Smoking is Prohibited

Am going to close this and refer to a new thread on New York State legislation for the sake of keeping it organized.

New thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...5-95-tax-ecigs-ban-e-liquid-ban-ecig-use.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread