CASAA New York State SALES BAN Call to Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
If anyone wants to do a mailmerge and send letters via snailmail, here's a csv-formatted list of the name and postal info:
http://www.couts.org/senate_data2.csv
My senator Michael Gianaris is on the list.

Word's Mail Merge feature also allows you to send individual, personalized emails. I created a field for the Last name and then in the document I inserted a reference to the field name. This works with Excel where you have a Heading Row. I'm not sure how it works with a csv file. In the document, the text looks like this:

Dear Senator <Last>

When each email is generated, it substitutes the value for the specified field and the finished text looks like this:

Dear Senator Hannon:

Is that understandable, or did I get too technical?

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
The NY Senate Rules Cmte met several hours ago, but none of the e-cigarette bills were on the agenda.
New York State Senate
Aren't they about to go into recess? If they just keep it off the agenda until then, it's dead.

One suggestion for letters -- I usually try to avoid attacking other quit-smoking or NRT products. I know people who successfully quit cold turkey. The patch and nicotine gum work for some people. One friend who wasn't trying to quit went to a hypnotist because her company was paying for it. She hasn't smoked since. Another had success with Chantix. I am happy for all of them. Unfortunately, those methods did not work for me.

I'm not asking them to eliminate any quit-smoking technologies. I want them to increase the number available until every one of us who wants to quit, can. (And, hopefully, there are enough members of the committee and, if need be, of the senate to whom "Senator Jackass" doesn't apply that electronic cigarettes will remain an available option in NYS.)

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Aren't they about to go into recess? If they just keep it off the agenda until then, it's dead.

One suggestion for letters -- I usually try to avoid attacking other quit-smoking or NRT products. I know people who successfully quit cold turkey. The patch and nicotine gum work for some people. One friend who wasn't trying to quit went to a hypnotist because her company was paying for it. She hasn't smoked since. Another had success with Chantix. I am happy for all of them. Unfortunately, those methods did not work for me.

I'm not asking them to eliminate any quit-smoking technologies. I want them to increase the number available until every one of us who wants to quit, can. (And, hopefully, there are enough members of the committee and, if need be, of the senate to whom "Senator Jackass" doesn't apply that electronic cigarettes will remain an available option in NYS.)

I believe they're in session through this Friday. Yes, I want every available option to quit. I did mention in my letter that I had tried all available cessation techniques and failed. They didn't work.... for me. I do have friends that swear by other methods, but for me they didn't address the entire habit. I needed the hand to mouth, I needed the inhalation, and I needed the nicotine. All of those aspects had to come together for me to stick with something.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
No sign of S7635 on today's Rules committee meeting agenda.

New York State Senate.

UPDATE: Meeting's over, it seems...S7635 wasn't discussed.

Three more day's until the session's over and then we're probably safe until at least January.
They always seem to introduce these at the end of the session in NY. Maybe that's the point -- they get to beat the drum about how they are trying to protect the health of New Yorkers without ever having to enact or enforce a ban.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The American Council on Science and Health sent the following letter to NY Senate Rules Committee members.

----- Original Message -----
To: hannon@nysenate.gov
Cc: skelos@nysenate.gov ; alesi@nysenate.gov ; breslin@nysenate.gov ; dilan@nysenate.gov ; duane@nysenate.gov ; farley@nysenate.gov ; fuschill@nysenate.gov ; hassellt@nysenate.gov ; ojohnson@nysenate.gov ; lkrueger@nysenate.gov ; larkin@nysenate.gov ; lavalle@nysenate.gov ; senator@senatorlibous.com ; marcelli@nysenate.gov ; maziarz@nysenate.gov ; montgome@nysenate.gov ; nozzolio@nysenate.gov ; parker@nysenate.gov ; perkins@nysenate.gov ; saland@nysenate.gov ; sampson@nysenate.gov ; seward@nysenate.gov ; masmith@nysenate.gov ; scousins@nysenate.gov
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:21 PM
Subject: Proposed e-cigarette ban, S.07635

Dear Senators:

Speaking for The American Council on Science and Health (ACSH, Welcome to American Council on Science and Health), a consumer education and advocacy nonprofit devoted to sound public health policy based on science, we most strongly opposed any consideration of a ban on the sales/marketing of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes, or ENDS--electronic nicotine delivery systems) in the State of New York. This proposal, by Sen. Hannon (S07635), is not only NOT a benefit to public health, it is in fact directly counter to it.

On the other hand, ACSH fully supports Senator Johnson's bill, S02926B , which would bar sales of ENDS (e-cigarettes) to minors.

Smokers are generally strongly addicted to this lethal habit--not only to the nicotine, but to the whole behavioral pattern of smoking. Whereas the commonly-used, FDA-approved methods--patches, gums, medications--work only infrequently, e-cigarettes nearly replicate the behavior of smoking and supply nicotine as well. While the totality of the data are still being accumulated, clearly this technique has a high likelihood of truly helping addicted smokers quit, before it's too late. Concerns have been raised about "chemicals" and "carcinogens" in ENDS vapor, but the levels of these detected do not pose a health threat and are in fact lower than can be found in nicotine patches, etc.

And consider the alternative: e-cigs. are clearly far less toxic than cigarettes. Smoking cigarettes for 2 months is more harmful than inhaling e-cigarette vapor for years.

There is also no real basis for concern that young people--who do not smoke--might decide to take up e-cigs; this is a phantasm raised by those with an agenda against e-cigs.

Why ban a safe and useful product, while leaving the most dangerous product--cigarettes--available on every street corner and in every drug store? That would make no sense. Please do not abandon the over-250,000 New Yorkers who used ENDS to become ex-smokers, to their fate--toxic, lethal cigarettes--which they will resort to if e-cigs. are banned. Thank you.

Gilbert Ross M.D.
for the American Council on Science and Health

Gilbert Ross M.D.
Medical Director
The American Council on Science and Health
1995 Broadway
New York NY 10023
212-362-7044 x242
rossg@acsh.org
Twitter: @ACSHorg
fax 212-362-4919
Please visit Welcome to American Council on Science and Health and Facts & Fears > ACSH

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
S7635 was not on the agenda of this morning's Senate Rules Cmte meeting, which was just posted on the Senate's calendar.
New York State Senate

Although passage of S7635 is virtually impossible (since tomorrow is the last day of the NY legislative session, and since S7635 would needed to be approved by the Senate Rules Cmte, the full Senate, the Assembly Rules Cmt and the full Assembly), things are moving fast and furiuos in Albany.

Yesterday, the NY Assembly and Senate both approved a bill (A10141) that would ban smoking within 100 feet of K-12 school property, except that private property/residences are exempted.
Bills

And yesterday, the NY Assembly approved a bill (A6451) that would prohibit smoking at any playground between sunrise and sunset when one or more persons under the age of 12 are present. The bill was sent to Senate and referred to its Rules Committee.
Bills

Last edited:

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Awesome letter from ACSH!

Thank YOU so much for the updates Bill. So this playground law:

15 2. NO POLICE OFFICER, PEACE OFFICER, REGULATORY OFFICER OR LAW
16 ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL MAY ARREST, TICKET, STOP OR QUESTION ANY PERSON

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets
[ ] is old law to be omitted.
LBD07580-05-2
A. 6451--C 2

1 BASED SOLELY OR IN PART ON AN ALLEGED VIOLATION OF SUBDIVISION ONE OF
2 THIS SECTION, NOR MAY AN ALLEGED VIOLATION OF SUBDIVISION ONE OF THIS
3 SECTION SUPPORT PROBABLE CAUSE TO CONDUCT ANY SEARCH OR LIMITED SEARCH
4 OF ANY PERSON OR HIS OR HER IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS.

I can't smoke on a playground from sunrise to sunset if there's a child under 12 (yet can blow smoke in a 12 year old's face all I want).... but no law officer can question me if I do smoke on the playground. Makes total sense. *eyeroll*

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Since S7635 is not on today's NY Senate Rules Cmte agenda
New York State Senate
the bill is dead.

But interestingly, Senator Johnson's bill (S2926B) to ban e-cig sales to minors is on the Rules Cmte meeting agenda.

If the Rules Cmte approves Johnson's bill, its still possible that it could be enacted since the Assembly already passed Linda Rosenthal's identical bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread