CASAA New York State SALES BAN Call to Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
No problem, Poeia. I got the same letter. This was the reply I sent her.

Dear Senator Krueger:

Thank you very much for opposing the ban on sales to adults and supporting the ban on sales to minors.

I just want to clarify two points.

1. The FDA found trace amounts of tobacco-specific Nitrosamines (which their press conference called “carcinogens”) and one potentially toxic chemical (in a non-toxic quantity) in their testing of the liquid in the cartridges. The FDA did not detect any carcinogens nor toxins in the vapor--the form that is ingested by the user.
2. It is true that the FDA did find trace amounts of nicotine inside of a few cartridges that were labeled nicotine-free. But again, when the FDA tested the vapor, there was no nicotine present in the vapor created from any of the no-nicotine cartridges.

The FDA’s lab report can be viewed here: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/UCM173250.pdf Discussion of tests performed on the liquid can be found under the heading “Whole cartridge,” and tests performed on the vapor are listed under “Simulated use.”

Quite obviously, there is a disconnect between facts in the lab report and assertions made about the testing in the FDA’s press conference. It is important to note that, at the time of this press conference, the FDA was fighting litigation filed by two vendors. It is not coincidental that the only brands tested were from these two vendors, and that the FDA chose to put a negative spin on their findings. We have asked the FDA to clarify the information on their web site and/or remove any text that is misleading. So far, the Agency has not responded.

Thank you once again for your support.

Elaine Keller, President
The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA
Just got an email response from Senator Dean Skelos, the Majority Leader in the NY Senate. Doesn't say much, but at least he or his staff read my email:

Thank you for writing me to express your position on the use of
e-cigarettes in New York State. I appreciate the time you have taken to
inform me of your views on this important matter.

The state senate acted this past session in a manner that I believe strikes
a responsible balance on this issue. Senate bill 2926, which will ban the
sale of e-cigarettes to minors, passed both houses of the Legislature and
is awaiting action by Governor Cuomo. This action takes the definitive step
of keeping e-cigarettes out of the hands of minors. This bill does not,
however, ban the sale of these devices to those over 18 years of age.

We in the Senate Majority believe that protecting the health of minors is
of paramount importance and the bill that passed effectively does just
that.

Thank you again for expressing your views on this important issue. If you
require any further assistance on this, or any other matter, please contact
my office.

Very truly yours,
Dean G. Skelos
Majority Leader
New York State Senate

PS- For more information on this or other issues, please visit my website
at Dean G. Skelos | New York State Senate to sign up for “updates” or visit me on
Facebook.

My original email:

Senator Skelos,

This letter is to voice my vehement opposition of the bill S7635 that would
ban the sale of electronic cigarettes.

I am a lifelong resident of New York State and I am a former smoker. I achieved
this monumental feat through the use of an electronic cigarette. I started using
an electronic cigarette on November 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm and have not had a
cigarette since. I have not had a craving for a cigarette since. My health improved
immediately and my doctor has told me that I have probably added years to my life.
With continued access to electronic cigarettes, I assure you that I will never smoke a
cigarette again. Period.

Now, New York State wants to take this life-saving device away from me and
the other 250,000 NYS e-cigarette users and most likely force many of us back
to smoking. Frankly put, my state wants to kill me, for no credible,
scientific or justifiable reason. The justifications as put forward in the
text of the proposed law are distorted at best and blatantly and provably
false at worst.

I am not trying to be dramatic, but this is very real to me. There is no
justification for the banning of e-cigarettes. In fact, as demonstrated by
dozens of studies by reputable scientists (I can provide copies or links to
these studies at your request), it is against the best interest of
public health to prohibit these devices. There is absolutely no scientific
evidence that electronic cigarettes pose a greater threat to a user than
smoking. The data collected to date indeed comes to the opposite
conclusion: e-cigarettes are about 99% safer. Studies have found if the
risk of smoking-related disease from smoking is rated at 100, e-cigarette
use rates between 1 and 2 (a non-smoker's risk rating is 1).

According to the federal Center for Disease Control, every
year an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure
to secondhand smoke, and another 8.6 million live with a serious illness
caused by smoking. Since the introduction of electronic cigarettes in the United
States in (roughly) 2007, there have been no reported deaths related to e-cigarette
use. Zero. None. The reason for this is simple: electronic cigarettes do
not burn, do not combust and produce absolutely no smoke. All of the
dangers of smoking cigarettes comes from the fire and the smoke. The
nicotine in cigarettes (and e-cigarettes) is not carcinogenic and, contrary
to common opinion, has quite a few health benefits.

The benefits of e-cigarettes over tobacco cigarettes go on and on. There
are thousands and thousands of cigarette-related house fires each year in
this country and this state. Second-hand smoke from cigarettes destroys
tens of thousands lives a year, while electronic cigarettes emit vaporized
propylene glycol, a FDA-approved food additive. A person ingests more nicotine
from eating a tomato or an eggplant than one would be exposed to from vapor
from an e-cigarette over a day.

In conclusion, I urge you to oppose S7635. I truly feel as though my life
depends on it. Also, I would hope you would support the bill S2926, which
would ban the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors.

If you require further information or would like a demonstration of an
electronic cigarette, I am certainly available to provide such at your
request.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Edward J Hunt

Last edited:

lfries1990

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
New York

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Assembly Member Linda Rosenthal, said e-cigarettes, which are currently unregulated, are made in flavors such as bubble gum and chocolate meant to appeal to youths and contain highly addictive nicotine. She said they would "hook yet another generation" on a deadly habit.

This woman is a nut case.

Had it not been for Rosenthal's opposition, NY legislature could have banned e-cig sales to minors in 2010 (as Rosenthal, CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA were lobbying to ban e-cigarettes to adult smokers in 2010 and 2011.

Last edited:

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
This woman is a nut case.

Had it not been for Rosenthal's opposition, NY legislature could have banned e-cig sales to minors in 2010 (as Rosenthal, CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA were lobby to ban e-cigarettes to adult smokers in 2010 and 2011.

I loved her theory that she and many other people were able to quit without them so everyone should be able to. It took the patch and a planned schedule for quitting.

Many people quit smoking cold turkey. Why did she get to use the patch while I shouldn't use the assistance that works for me?

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Another article with the full statements of Senator Owen Johnson and nutcase Assemblywoman Rosenthal
Capitol Confidential » Cuomo signs two cigarette-control bills

Senator Owen Johnson said, “I am thrilled that the Governor has signed this bill into law. Unlike other nicotine-containing products, e-cigarettes are not currently regulated and, as such, children are legally able to purchase these devices and consume nicotine, an addictive chemical. In fact, the idea for this bill came to me from school officials in my District. This is common sense legislation that keeps an addictive chemical away from children and adolescents, while at the same time preserving the rights of adults to make their own informed decisions about whether to use these products and I thank Governor Cuomo for signing it into law.”

Assembly Member Linda B. Rosenthal said, “I am pleased that Governor Cuomo has signed my bill to ban the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and to regulate them in the same way that other tobacco products are currently regulated. Electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, though currently unregulated and potentially dangerous to human health, are manufactured in flavors meant to appeal to young people, such as bubblegum and chocolate. E-cigarettes contain nicotine, the highly addictive ingredient found in cigarettes and other tobacco products, which will hook yet another generation of young people on a deadly habit. We will be saving lives by preventing a generation of young people from sampling that first, addictive cigarette.”

ABeautifulDisaster

Mar 23, 2011
NY
Somebody should invite Rosenthal to a vape meet so that she can meet these kids.
LOL indeed... it never fails to amaze me how people think 'flavors' are only meant for children...cause adults could not possibly like chocolate, right? SMH Same thing on trying to ban menthol in cigarettes, it's just ignorant.

VERY glad to see this passed... Maybe we'll get a break for a few years before they come after adults in NF again.

In other news, just saw a commercial last night for Blu... first e-cig commercial I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread