Newbie help thread, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I'm sure this is the thousandth or more thread of this type that you've read, but here goes..

My wife and I want to get into ecigs as our city is going smoke free (everywhere, including sidewalks, soon). I just keep reading and reading and just can't seem to figure out where to start. I have always been indecisive with things like this. Hell, when I play a video game and they ask me to pick skills that can take up to DAYS for me to research which one I want. I've been researching for months on ecigs and just can't seem to figure it out all out.

I'm mainly looking for simplicity. I want it to be easy, you know? When I run out of cigarettes, I run down to low bobs and get me a pack of NAS perique and I'm set. With this, I want it to be as easy as possible as my previous habit I am replacing was also easy. I know that if ecigs become a chore I will have a hard time making that transition. I've looked into all sorts of brands that sound way easier than what is mentioned in the guides on this forum. Blu, Greensmoke, etc. Are those just utter trash or something? I don't think I've really seen them mentioned on this forum.

I mainly smoke Natural American Spirits. I smoke the perique and the menthol varieties. I also smoke salems on occasion, and Salem was my main smoke for 10 years. I like thicker smoke in my cigarettes, and a big thick drawl. Lots of flavor, too. I want my ecig to be as close to that as possible. Is this asking the impossible?

The only ecig I have tried was a friends "blu" brand starter kit. I tried his regular, and his coffee. They were not unbearable, but left a cottonbally feeling in the back of my throat. Not cottonmouth, but like something scratchy was back there. Not painful or anything, just awkward feeling. The flavor left a bit to be desired, too.

Help! I've read nearly every sticky on this website (there are a ton, I'm realistically probably halfway through the entirety of every sticky on the website). I just am clueless on where I should start. Everyone is different, and the starter threads seem to not only confuse me, but leave me questioning if it fits my needs.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
First, Blu is one of the lowest of the low end models. Second, vaping will never be as easy as smoking, plain and simple.

But there are models that do a good job but have longer battery life and thus reduces the hassle of changing weak batteries every hour or so. And with an adapter ($3) you can use different size/type cartomizers with these models and they are then a two piece model which some feel are easier. Or just stick with 510 cartomizers and it is still a two piece model.

I would look at the E-Power/Riva/Ego line and get either some pre-filled 510 cartomizers or if you like better taste but with a little more hassle, some blank cartomizers and buy some liquid you like and refill them your self. You can get mega size cartomizers that will hold enough liquid to last 2-4 hours before needing to put 5-10 more drops of liquid in them.

Here are some reputable sites to look at:

e-Power

Electronic Cigarette - Starter Kits - E-Power

Rule of Thumb: the more it looks like the real thing, the worse the performance.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Hoosier's idea about getting some hands on is great. It's really hard to tell what you are going to like and what will satisfy you without trying some out.

If that's not an option, in my opinion, I'd go with something relatively inexpensive just so you can get your feet wet and see what it's all about. The best deal (again, IMO) that I've seen posted is the Riva-lite bundle start up kit from Liberty Flights. It's inexpensive, and has a good reputation. If you find out that you don't love it, at least you will have an idea of what it is that you do and don't like, and what to look for in an upgrade. If you look at that, be aware that there's a 20% off coupon you can use (listed at the top of the page).

I went with a Go-go myself, but I've considered getting the Riva package for my FIL so that he can try it out. It seems like a great deal, and if it doesn't work out for you, at least you haven't spent a ton of money.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
wv2win,

I don't expect it to be AS easy. That's just silly talk. Unless I plan to go buy those singles they sell at gas stations, which I am sure taste like sucking on a tailpipe. I am however interested in it being as easy as possible. My friend who uses the blu has no hassle at all really, just struggles running out of the cartridges too fast really.

I am MORE THAN WILLING to drop some extra money here and there when making this switch if it means my wife can eat at her favorite restaurant again and enjoy her previous ritual of eat a little, smoke a little, eat some more. So I'll probably start out on the easier side as opposed to the "better taste with a little more hassle" just to see if we can even make this switch.

I just want to find what I should buy that will taste and feel like a thicker smoke (with as much vapor as possible, that exhale is one of the most relaxing thing ABOUT smoking) while still being somewhat easy. All of this tech talk is so beyond me. ha.

Edit: I'm also quite a heavy smoker. While I'm down from my old three and a half packs a day, I still average a minimum of a pack and a half a day. And that's with Natural American Spirits which burn very slow.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Heh, right now I'm a bit east of you along 67.

Best choice is a shop in Kokomo just north of the Burger King on S Washington. (Across the street from Kroger) I say best because the hours of 9-9 are accessible to most folks.

Second best is in Speedway. Indy Vape Shop is the name of that place. Bigger shop, but not open as long.

Both places can be a great help.

Or, if you had more posts we could meet sometime and you could try some of my stuff, but I wouldn't have near the selection as the shops. (more posts so we could PM each other contact info, etc)

I think the shop in Kokomo is called Pure Vapers...it starts with Pure at least.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I also like the ego. Good pv, inexpensive, 7+ hour battery. Definitely recommend getting some boge cartomizers with the kit. Down the road you can get a pass-through and use it if your on the computer a lot.

I think a pretty similiar juice to Salem is the Backwood Brew Menthol either in medium or strong. It does need to steep (sit) for a couple week and the menthol flavor enhances but it's a good juice. Get a bottle of 12 & 24 and you can mix them to see the right nicotine level for you.

What is your wife's smoking style, how much does she smoke? Are you together during the day?

I'm just asking because you can either get two Rivas or get one Riva and one mini (you might both end up liking the Riva) but the 510 or KR808 is smaller, more the size of a cig. But the battery is also much smaller. A good mini would be the 510, also at liberty Flight or the KR808 at Vapor 4 Life or the Volt from Smokeless Image.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
wv2win,

I don't expect it to be AS easy. That's just silly talk. Unless I plan to go buy those singles they sell at gas stations, which I am sure taste like sucking on a tailpipe. I am however interested in it being as easy as possible. My friend who uses the blu has no hassle at all really, just struggles running out of the cartridges too fast really.

I am MORE THAN WILLING to drop some extra money here and there when making this switch if it means my wife can eat at her favorite restaurant again and enjoy her previous ritual of eat a little, smoke a little, eat some more. So I'll probably start out on the easier side as opposed to the "better taste with a little more hassle" just to see if we can even make this switch.

I just want to find what I should buy that will taste and feel like a thicker smoke (with as much vapor as possible, that exhale is one of the most relaxing thing ABOUT smoking) while still being somewhat easy. All of this tech talk is so beyond me. ha.

Edit: I'm also quite a heavy smoker. While I'm down from my old three and a half packs a day, I still average a minimum of a pack and a half a day. And that's with Natural American Spirits which burn very slow.

Well I hope I didn't come off too strong in my cautions. With new members you are never sure what they are thinking. Plus I tend to "bottom-line" it in my comments.

The size of the battery, i.e. ability to sustain a more consistent power output, will determine (to a large degree) the warmth and "inhaled feel" of the vapor. Nicotine strength also is a big factor.

Small battery models just do not have the size to provide a consistent result that will last. Plus manual batteries (small button) generally provide warmer vapor, are safer and provide more control than auto batteries.

Based on what you stated you would like and how much you smoked, I would still recommend one of the E-Power/Riva/Ego options as a good "beginner" model with a low entry cost.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Vaping can be as simple as you want to make it. If you don't want do deal with refilling carts or cartos just buy them pre-filled. Or you can go to the other extreme and make your own juices. Or something in between.

The first thing you should do is decide on the hardware. There are plenty of good choices out there. I would recommend an eGo/Riva as a starting point. They are slightly larger than a cigarette but the battery will last for 6 hours easily. The cigarette sized batteries will only last 1-2 hours of vaping. Forget the auto batteries, as they are prone to failure if juice gets into them. You can get a Riva starter kit for $30-$35 from Liberty Flights, some liquid and could be on your way for around $50-$60.

Finding the right juice for you may take a while longer. There a lot of choices from a lot a different manufacturers. you will just have to try different ones to find the one for you. I used to smoke NAS Black and finding a liquid to match it is a challenge. I now mix my own liquid and I found a Perique flavor from FlavorArt. It blew my socks off. Not quite the same as American Spirit but a very pleasant vape with a lot of flavor.

As for the scratchy throat feeling, it was probably due to the PG in the liquid. Some people are sensitive to PG and switching to VG or a PG/VG blend helps with the symptoms.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I also like the ego. Good pv, inexpensive, 7+ hour battery. Definitely recommend getting some boge cartomizers with the kit. Down the road you can get a pass-through and use it if your on the computer a lot.

I think a pretty similiar juice to Salem is the Backwood Brew Menthol either in medium or strong. It does need to steep (sit) for a couple week and the menthol flavor enhances but it's a good juice. Get a bottle of 12 & 24 and you can mix them to see the right nicotine level for you.

What is your wife's smoking style, how much does she smoke? Are you together during the day?

I'm just asking because you can either get two Rivas or get one Riva and one mini (you might both end up liking the Riva) but the 510 or KR808 is smaller, more the size of a cig. But the battery is also much smaller. A good mini would be the 510, also at liberty Flight or the KR808 at Vapor 4 Life or the Volt from Smokeless Image.

Once I figure out all this juice stuff, and how to do it (though I think I'd rather avoid the juice stuff in the beginning, out of simplicity sake) I'll make sure to check that out. I always loved the flavor of a good salem green, just hate how quick they burn. Especially in comparison to NAS!

My wife smokes marlboro reds on her own (which I hate, they taste like burning cardboard and have a very strong chemical burn to them), but she also enjoys what I smoke (specifically NAS Perique). She ultimately has similar tastes, just smokes less.

Heh, right now I'm a bit east of you along 67.

Best choice is a shop in Kokomo just north of the Burger King on S Washington. (Across the street from Kroger) I say best because the hours of 9-9 are accessible to most folks.

Second best is in Speedway. Indy Vape Shop is the name of that place. Bigger shop, but not open as long.

Both places can be a great help.

Or, if you had more posts we could meet sometime and you could try some of my stuff, but I wouldn't have near the selection as the shops. (more posts so we could PM each other contact info, etc)

I think the shop in Kokomo is called Pure Vapers...it starts with Pure at least.

What is the minimum post requirement to send PMs? I'd be very interested in that, as that'd save a lot of trouble and you seem credible.

I'll check out both of those shops once I can find the time with my wife and I's schedules.

Well I hope I didn't come off too strong in my cautions. With new members you are never sure what they are thinking. Plus I tend to "bottom-line" it in my comments.

The size of the battery, i.e. ability to sustain a more consistent power output, will determine (to a large degree) the warmth and "inhaled feel" of the vapor. Nicotine strength also is a big factor.

Small battery models just do not have the size to provide a consistent result that will last. Plus manual batteries (small button) generally provide warmer vapor, are safer and provide more control than auto batteries.

Based on what you stated you would liked and how much you smoked, I would still recommend one of the E-Power/Riva/Ego options as a good "beginner" model with a low entry cost.

Good Luck

Strong, but remember, I like thick smoke and strong isn't a negative thing with me =)

Is it possible to have a large sized battery yet still have a cigarette shaped device? I really feel that a cigarette shaped device will be more to my liking, at least initially.

I'll definitely check out your suggestions, they seem tryable.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips so far, too. I'll be in this thread most of the day most likely.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
There is Perique eliquid at FreedomSmokeUSA.com. Also American Spirit liquid but that is a specialty so 50PG/50VG only which is thicker than will work well in most slim ecig cartomizers. You could vape that with cartridges and atomizer.

small = short charge
100mah = 1 to 1.5 hours of moderate vaping

510 is the most popular 3-piece line

small Joye 510 manual - 180mah (510 manuals are sealed against juice damage and manuals make it easier to get a good hit). For cigarette look buy a white Joye 510 and use tan Boge cartomizers from NiteLiteVapor.us. 100mm long w/ a carto

Joye 510 mega xl manual - 280mah and about 128mm w/ a carto

And the fat battery models Ego or Riva 510 and others, plus more like all kinds of mods including at the low end little plastic 3.7v box mods.

--

OR for the most popular 2-piece slim model with prefilled cartomizers see KR808D-1 models: Vapor4Life, SmokelessImage BloogPlanet and Halocigs G6 (and I recommend standard aka 78mm manuals for 120mm ecig 280/320mah. Manuals can use a DSE901 atomizer and drip tip to test juices.

---

If you are rich you can buy the KR808D-1 and just vape prefilled cartomizers and throw away 1 to 4 each day. Or the 510 manuals and use prefilled BOge cartomizers from Vaporkings.com (filled with Dekang Chinese juice). But we use prefills or blanks and keep them damp with eliquid to get 4-7 or more days use out of each. Yes it's work. But I am not smoking. I feel better, I smell better, my sinuses cleared up, my cheeks are pink and food tastes great.

Last edited:

Swigger14

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2011
Boston
Hi Salem,

I'm a new user, been vaping for about a week with no analogs since last Friday. This place is fantastic, and everyone is amazingly patient and helpful.

Based on recommendations from here, I can echo the Riva 510 kit. I ordered the lite kit from Liberty Flights, and have been really happy with everything, including service and delivery. I would recommend for simplicity sake the Boge cartomizers, which I find to be way easier to fill than cartridges which come with the kit. I think you'll see that others have found the same thing. Get a lot - I only got 5, and am anxiously awaiting more of them. The Low Resistance (LR) Boges can be used with the Riva, and the 3.0s can go on either the Riva or regular 510.

After a couple days with the device, I also was looking for something more the size of a cig. Since the Riva is a 510, I ordered smaller batteries for on the go vaping, to stick in my shirt pocket and stuff. The Riva is more the size of a pen. Waiting on those batteries to arrive, and all the parts are interchangeable (except the chargers). Obviously battery life is the problem with smaller units, but I don't vape all day long and haven't had a problem with the Rivas as of yet. You may be different.

I had a sore throat for a day or two, but it wasn't too bad and is going away now. Other than that, I feel fine. Had some cravings and lit a few analogs the first couple days, but actually put most of them out after a couple puffs. Seems to be a common occurrence here. Since then, I've learned that when cravings occur to up the nic content a bit and it has passed for me. I am generally vaping 12 mg but switch to 18 or 20 when this occurs.

As for juices, I wasn't as in love with Liberty Flights' juices as much their hardware and service. I liked a few flavors, but have really fallen in love with some from TastyVapor and Vermillion. Looking forward to receiving some from Good Prophets. These seem to all be liked and respected here and all my experiences have been good. I have just ordered a bunch of samples, and almost immediately realized that I prefer non-tobacco flavors. Slowly finding my 'all-day vapes' and would be happy to share, although it seems to be by taste and I was smoking Parliament Lights.

Again, a total rookie but I know it can be overwhelming so wanted to share my experience thus far.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
..What is the minimum post requirement to send PMs? I'd be very interested in that, as that'd save a lot of trouble and you seem credible...

Last I knew it was 5 posts, so you are not too far off already.

"Credible", well that depends on who you ask, but since I stop trying to teach pigs to sing, I have fewer that disagree...

Swigger14

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2011
Boston
Five posts? I'll have that in no time just from this thread alone, most likely.

Swigger14, Thanks for the post. Very informative. Glad to see I'm not alone in this sea of vaping.

You're already there, it looks like! No problem - I was in your shoes a week ago. But really, everyone here will take care of you so you're most definitely not alone.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..............Strong, but remember, I like thick smoke and strong isn't a negative thing with me =)

Is it possible to have a large sized battery yet still have a cigarette shaped device? I really feel that a cigarette shaped device will be more to my liking, at least initially.

I'll definitely check out your suggestions, they seem tryable.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips so far, too. I'll be in this thread most of the day most likely.

The E-Power/Riva's are the size of a slim cigar or a sharpie pen - not that big, really. But in a cigarette sized model, there are no "large" or powerful batteries. It's just the science of batteries in today's world. Plus as in almost all small battery PV's (personal vaporizers) and some of the larger ones, also, as the battery drains, it is less capable of heating the atomizer/cartomizer to it's proper level. So even if you get 1-2 hours on a charge, the last half of that time frame will not be good vaping.

Better model PV's are now coming out with regulated power and some even have "regulated boost circuit" technology that maintains the power level throughout the charge of the battery as if it had just come off the charger. But they don't look like a cigarette and cost more.

I would also suggest that both of you, based on how and what you smoked, start out around 24mg nicotine strength liquid and then adjust up or down based on your own needs. Most need that level to transition from smoking to vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread