Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So, you actually clean it before you dry burn it then? And that doesn't burn the wick fibers in the atty?

Sure. A lot of people complain about a burnt taste and a hard draw on their attys, especially the hotter burning 510. What happen is not all of the liquid vaporizes. It condenses and gets thicker and thicker and then dries onto the coil. If the dried on part isn't gotten rid of, it will build up thicker and thicker. Your atty will taste burnt unless it's practically flooded and have a hard draw. I've read a lot of threads with people complaining about a hard draw, burnt taste, and having to top of their 510s with 2 drops every other draw. They just have a dirty atty. Some people say they've never had a 510 atty die, they just get a burnt taste they can't get rid of so they toss 'em.

A REAL dry burn is just that - heating the atty while it's dry so any deposits left on the coil will burn off.They will not smell good. If you try this with an atty that has any liquid in it you will just see vapor coming out. All you're doing is cooking the remaining liquid onto the coil. Not good.

Every day, or few days, rinse with very warm water (soak in coke first if it's really dirty,) blow out the excess water, and set in front of small high output fan overnight to dry completely. Put it on your manual batt with atty still dry, and heat it for 4-7 seconds. You should see no vapor. Might need to do a dry burn like this several times to get it good and clean (nothing coming off atty.) Drip atty with 3-4 drops and put on a fresh cart and vape. May need to top again after a couple draws - it takes a bit for a dry atty to get going. You may taste some funkiness from the burn at first, but that will be gone very quickly.

I've never blown a 510 atty doing this and sometimes I'll keep the button down and the coil glowing red for 15 seconds at a time. YMMV!

This is MY method for keeping my 510's tasting and vaping like new. Others have very different opinions about what works for them. Give it a try and let us know what you think works best for you.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
How about Cafe Mocha High Voltage WITHOUT the tobacco?? No need to add tobacco flavor to the coffee!!?? :D

This is a very mild Tintured tobacco taste that for some reason meshes very nicely with the mocha and coffee...I made it sorta by accident as I was testing liquids and the flavor carried over from the atty..SSo I mixed a small sample and it was really good...It also has a very nice aroma...Its extremely popular in the regular 24Mg and I have had several request for it in High Voltage so I figured I would try it ...I actually like it better in HV...Its a great morning withdrawal vape for me, allthough I dont think it will ever be an all day vape for me cause Im kinda strung out on 555 HV but who knows...

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
So, you actually clean it before you dry burn it then? And that doesn't burn the wick fibers in the atty?

Yes, and the wick fibers on my 510 (that I can see) are silver white. Most importantly, they taste that way! No, it has never burnt the fibers.

Of course I blow out the atty and rinse my carts before I decide they need a long dry burn, but I always do couple short ones after they're rinsed and dried to make sure there is no crud starting to build up. If any vapor comes out I keep repeating the burn until it's gone and all I see are red coils.

If your attys have a lot of build up - hard draw - you will want to soak them in coke or something to loosen it up before you rinse them. I try to keep mine rinsed and burned off so it never builds up.

Put a some thick liquid in a steel pan and heat it up on high. What happens? The liquid burns onto the pan.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Thanks for the tips, Lotus! I have a couple of attys with a really foul taste. I tried rinsing in hot water & diet coke baths to no avail. I ended up tearing one atty apart and the wick fibers were black on the ends. I have new attys coming from Drew (hopefully tomorrow) and I hope to make them last. I have one atty (that I used exclusively with Drew's HV liquid) and that doesn't taste burnt, but I have to drip or top off a LOT. I still haven't found LTBs for the filler to try.

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Thanks for the tips, Lotus! I have a couple of attys with a really foul taste. I tried rinsing in hot water & diet coke baths to no avail. I ended up tearing one atty apart and the wick fibers were black on the ends. I have new attys coming from Drew (hopefully tomorrow) and I hope to make them last. I have one atty (that I used exclusively with Drew's HV liquid) and that doesn't taste burnt, but I have to drip or top off a LOT. I still haven't found LTBs for the filler to try.

How many drops do you get when you top off? The 510 is a liquid hog. In other words, do you have to keep the atty almost flooded to keep it from tasting burnt? The 510 is a liquid hog.

I probably would have given up on the 510 and gone back to cartomizers if it weren't for the Lipton PTB mod I'm using. Poly just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe it would if I'd put it down for a while between drags, but that's just not gonna happen ;-)

I get mine at Publix. Kroger has them too. They're hard to find in the aisle though, they're not beside the regular Lipton bags, they're always over with the "designer" teas.

You can also get them at a lot of places online. Amazon has them at:
Lipton Green Tea, Mandarin Orange, Premium Pyramid Tea Bags, 20-Count Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
BTW Kristin,
On your attys that are real bad, after the dry burn you may have to rinse and repeat a few times.

I have tested 510 attys on a passthrough doing consecutive 15 second dry burns with just a few seconds in between burns just to see if they would blow up. I'm a little nuts like that :oops:

No problem - they still vape like champs. If you've got attys that are unusable, it may be worth a shot as a last resort. But try a few rinse, dry, burn, repeat cycles first. ;-)

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
I also had limited success with the straw mod...Then I read Huffin n Puffins post about keeping the straw on top and empty...I was letting the liquid clog the straw...If you use it on the round carts or postion it so its on top of the flat tip, it keeps the straw clear for better air flow through the straw which is why this method works...
Drew

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I also had limited success with the straw mod...Then I read Huffin n Puffins post about keeping the straw on top and empty...I was letting the liquid clog the straw...If you use it on the round carts or postion it so its on top of the flat tip, it keeps the straw clear for better air flow through the straw which is why this method works...
Drew
I think I had too much filler in mine the first time I tried it, but I did it right on my hubby's. So, his worked and mine didn't. This time, I cut a strip off the filler lengthwise - about the width of the coffee stirrer. It IS key to keep the end of the straw above the filler, too. Now it's working GREAT for me! I put 10 drops in and I haven't had to top off at all. When it's time to refill, so far it has taken another 10 full drops each time - so it's finally wicking all of the liquid!

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Hey guy's try using some Fluval in conjunction with the straw mod and I think you will really start to appreciate your 510 a lot more. Fluval is the brand name for a water filter for aquariums and it makes a great filler material for these it seems to work better than the original filler. The straw mod really helps the one weak point with the material wicking completely, and one box of it for $6.99 should last a lifetime or close to it. I use the 2Plus box the style is A-190.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Why do you suppose the Fluval works better? I was just watching a mod video with it and it doesn't look much different than regular filler?

Has anyone checked fabric stores to see if they carry netting/mesh fabric or similar material that the Lipton pyramid tea bags are made out of? I have some old wedding veil material that looks a lot like PTB fabric!

jedrojam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Central USA
Why do you suppose the Fluval works better? I was just watching a mod video with it and it doesn't look much different than regular filler?

Has anyone checked fabric stores to see if they carry netting/mesh fabric or similar material that the Lipton pyramid tea bags are made out of? I have some old wedding veil material that looks a lot like PTB fabric!

To me, the Fluval seems to be better than poly because the poly strands are all oriented in the same direction to create a block with built in air pockets. Every time I tried straight bagged polyfill, I could never get the material to fluff up right, and I'm too impatient to take that long to fiddle with it.

I've read in other threads, that organza is very similar to PTB, and it's very cheap at fabric stores.

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx

I would suggest you read this thread and try this stuff for a filler. I have used it for over a month and it the best stuff ever! I have used Fluval, PTB and the straw mod but this stuff is the best. Just make sure to wash it well with soap and water to eliminate any funky plastic taste.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/27723-eheim-filterpad-mod.html

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC

I use the PTB because it's fairly cheap and I know it was made for boiling in water and drinking the residue! I feel a little safer than something I got at the fabric store. I'm sure you could find the exact same stuff somewhere but unless someone finds the exact stuff and points me to it it's not worth the trouble. My PTB mod is doing fine.

Yesterday I did get some blue aquarium filter stuff - H.O.T. Magnum Filter Sleeves a pet store. I haven't used them enough to decide it they're an improvement or if I trust them not to leech chemicals into the liquid. They are cheap and VERY easy to make a cart with though - compared to anything.

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Yesterday I did get some blue aquarium filter stuff - H.O.T. Magnum Filter Sleeves a pet store. I haven't used them enough to decide it they're an improvement or if I trust them not to leech chemicals into the liquid. They are cheap and VERY easy to make a cart with though - compared to anything.

Aquarium fish are very delicate creatures. It doesn't take too much to kill off a whole tank. You can pretty much bet if it is safe to use in an aquarium to filter water through, it will be safe for humans. The only problem I have had was when I didn't wash the filter sleeve before using. It did leave an odd plastic taste. After washing it was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread