Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So, I'm just going to be typing in green from now on.....

LOL it is a great idea.

Yeah, I was going for black but then I was like... THIS COULD BE ANGRY!

Anna
I generally try to avoid the use of explicitly colored text because I can't predict whether there will be sufficient contrast to keep it readable if someone is using a different theme than I am, and apps like Tapacrap add even more complexity to that question.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I just finished up a half liter of 2014 nic and opened up a 'new' half liter .
Both were purchased in July 2014.
The 'new' one I just opened is as clear as brand new and tastes as new.

...and these were frozen in their original amber plastic bottles.

I love y'alls nic freezers !
Quoting myself to add that I am only using the freezer in my refrigerator that gets opened several times a day. And it's in the door shelves, not the bottom.
I don't have a special nic feezer that stays closed until I need some.
And I see/smell/taste no damage/degradation to my nic.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I mix about once a month. Currently mixing with nic that was put in my frost free freezer about 4 1/2 years ago. Color and vape experience are unchanged. If no apparent harm was done in that time what theory explains how things will start deteriorating from this point forward? My nic stays in the freezer. The person claiming harm in the freezer seems to be relying on a theory, not hands on experience.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I've started reading this thread from the beginning. Got a ways to go yet. Anyway, it seems some buy liter-sized bottles of nic then break them down in smaller bottles and just keep one smaller bottle around for their current needs thus not exposing any more nic to the elements than they have to. Makes sense. Does anyone use a vacuum sealer to store their long term supply?

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've started reading this thread from the beginning. Got a ways to go yet. Anyway, it seems some buy liter-sized bottles of nic then break them down in smaller bottles and just keep one smaller bottle around for their current needs thus not exposing any more nic to the elements than they have to. Makes sense. Does anyone use a vacuum sealer to store their long term supply?
I transfer 1 liter plastic bottles of nic to 1 liter glass bottles for long term storage and transfer that to 4 250 ml bottles for mixing. I prefer the bottles in a zip lock bag wraped in bubble wrap and may be another zip lock bag over that. If a bottle broke I'd hope to salvage most of the nic. I think more precautions than that is overkill. Nic in 10 year old cigars can still be good. It can also be a waste problem flowing into streams in tobacco producing areas. If nic was so sensitive to the environment can it be so persistant?

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA

Most just make sure to fill the bottle as full as they can with out spilling it, to leave very little air as possible. I have never had any kind of vacuum sealer. I on the other had took it to some extremes, I purged all my bottles with argon, that I had from when I used to do a lot of welding. Mine are in blue cobalt glass bottles, in 50 & 100ML sizes. My :2c:

KAS

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If you store your nic in glass bottles, I'm not sure I see any point to a vacuum-sealed outer bag. A glass bottle is for all intents an purposes completely impermeable to oxygen.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I Don't. As Rossum mentioned, Glass is a Great Oxygen Barrier.

But I do put my Bubble Wrapped Glass Bottles in Zip-Loc Bags. Not for anything to due with Oxygen. But for that Off Chance that the Glass Breaks.

A 250ml Puddle of Nicotine Base in the bottom of my Freezer has all the makings for a Very Bad Day in the kitchen.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Based on what I read in early posts from Rossum it appears the liquid volume stays the same or perhaps even shrinks a tad upon freezing (which is opposite of H2O). If this remained true throughout his study then I deduce that filling the bottles to the tippy top is recommended?

Tippy top? Good grief I sound like AOC. :facepalm:

Reactions: kas122461

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Based on what I read in early posts from Rossum it appears the liquid volume stays the same or perhaps even shrinks a tad upon freezing (which is opposite of H2O). If this remained true throughout his study then I deduce that filling the bottles to the tippy top is recommended?

Tippy top? Good grief I sound like AOC. :facepalm:
I use amber glass bottles with poly cone lids and fill up to the middle of the threads.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Correct, it shrinks a bit. I don't like filling to the tippy-top. I fill to the base of the neck. I like to have just a bit of gas volume to keep the pressure changes reasonable. Think about it: If there's no air in there at all, and the liquid shrinks, you've then got ~14.5 psi of pressure on that bottle. Decent glass bottles up to 500 ml in size will withstand that, but my gut says the stress will make them more prone to breakage.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Correct, it shrinks a bit. I don't like filling to the tippy-top. I fill to base of the neck. I like to have just a bit of gas volume to keep the pressure changes reasonable. Think about it: If there's no air in there at all, and the liquid shrinks, you've then got ~14.5 psi of pressure on that bottle. Decent glass bottles up to 500 ml in size will withstand that, but my gut says the stress will make them more prone to breakage.
Yeah. And perhaps over time it would stress the glass such that 5 - 10 years down the road or some jostling of the bottles and they could break. Likely not, but as you allude why push it when you don't have to.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
About vacuum sealing - I've read a number of posts over the years where people vacuum seal their nic bottles. Just like those who wrap tape around the caps, a little more security won't hurt. If I had a vacuum sealer I'd use it.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
About vacuum sealing - I've read a number of posts over the years where people vacuum seal their nic bottles. Just like those who wrap tape around the caps, a little more security won't hurt. If I had a vacuum sealer I'd use it.
I was thinking more like placing the bottle in a sealer bag and then vacuuming.

• Agree
Reactions: 440BB

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I believe the report that refered to 'degradation' was in a situation where the temperatures were very near the 'freezing point.' I think that most home refrigerators are well below that point. Interpretation: Don't worry about opening and closing your freezer door.

Much ado about nothing.

PS A 250 ml Boston Round bottle full to the brim is right at 300 ml.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm confident about freezing nic for the simple reason I have first hand experience, currently vaping almost 5 year old nic stored in my freezer and it seems to be as good as new. I'm confident that 5 years from now my nic will still be good. I won't be surprised if potency is down very slightly. If I actually detect that I'll up the mg a bit in the recipe. For better or worse my nic stays in the freezer.

It's still hard to believe the corruptocrats in DC have the balls to cut off millions of vapers as long as cigarettes remain available for sale.

BTW, quiting smoking 6 years ago turned out to be just the beginning of my comeback. I still had to deal with out of range BP, blood sugar and blood fats and get rid of 35 pounds of body fat. Those got done with diet and exercise and wouldn't have happened without getting off cigs. Here's me today, at 70.
20190811_180148.jpg

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I'm confident about freezing nic for the simple reason I have first hand experience, currently vaping almost 5 year old nic stored in my freezer and it seems to be as good as new. I'm confident that 5 years from now my nic will still be good. I won't be surprised if potency is down very slightly. If I actually detect that I'll up the mg a bit in the recipe. For better or worse my nic stays in the freezer.

It's still hard to believe the corruptocrats in DC have the balls to cut off millions of vapers as long as cigarettes remain available for sale.

BTW, quiting smoking 6 years ago turned out to be just the beginning of my comeback. I still had to deal with out of range BP, blood sugar and blood fats and get rid of 35 pounds of body fat. Those got done with diet and exercise and wouldn't have happened without getting off cigs. Here's me today, at 70.
View attachment 831599
When I first seen your pic you posted I thought I was gonna read how you met Stephen King and he vapes a Provari. Point being you look like Stephen King, fellow vapers am I crazy or does this dude look like S.K.?
Oh and that article saying don’t freeze your nic is wrong. Rossum has proven it and most of us have first hand experience as well. That’s how you knock a thread off the rails and put it back on the tracks with a single post. Tahdah:rickroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread