Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw33k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
Canberra, ACT, Australia
i've had a 1 litre bottle of nic in the original plastic bottle, in the freezer section of a bar fridge for nearly 4 years. it is still clear and odorless. due to lack of space, i have no other option. maybe it's not an ideal way to store nic long term but it hasn't negatively affected the nic yet

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I do have a suspicion that the degradation of nicotine in a freezer at zero degrees may be over hyped.
Almost certainly over-hyped if your goal is "good enough". But if the goal is cryogenically storing a lifetime supply then you want only the best materials: Noble-gas-purged paraffin-sealed glass, in a liquid nitrogen bath, with a redundant cooling system and a diesel backup. Or as much of that as you can reasonably afford :D

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Almost certainly over-hyped if your goal is "good enough". But if the goal is cryogenically storing a lifetime supply then you want only the best materials: Noble-gas-purged paraffin-sealed glass, in a liquid nitrogen bath, with a redundant cooling system and a diesel backup. Or as much of that as you can reasonably afford :D
Sounds rather slavish. :)

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

I just use Mrs CMD's freezer and at age seventy-four, I have a lifetime supply and then some. Now, that diesel backup does have its appeal, I wonder...how do I convince her that I need a diesel generator?

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I just use Mrs CMD's freezer and at age seventy-four, I have a lifetime supply and then some. Now, that diesel backup does have its appeal, I wonder...how do I convince her that I need a diesel generator?
Explain that we're on the verge of discovering life-extending rejuvenation techniques that could have us all living to see our bicentennial?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The clear bottle of liquid below was mixed this morning with 5 year old nic stored in the freezer. The other darker one is the identical mixture, mixed may be 6 weeks ago and kept in the refrigerator. The original 100mg nic, as of this morning, is crystal clear. The darker liquid might show the difference between the freezer and refrigerator.

The recipe in both bottles is 50/50 PG/VG, 12mg nic, 1% Cupacino flavoring from Capella.

2019-08-21 21.20.59.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The flavoring can play a big factor in color change over time. I have some strawberry that will start out with a slight tint on day 1, and turn amber colored after a week or two.
Agree. Some flavorings will interact with nic to produce color changes. I can leave a clear bottle of 13 mg unflavored liquid out for a couple of weeks with no noticeable color change (that's unlike 100 mg base!). I mix certain recipies of colorless flavorings with 0 nic PG and VG and they will remain water clear indefinitely. But if I mix that same recipe with nic, it will develop some color within days.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm certain this has been covered but I'm not going back to dig it up. What temperature are most of you using to store your nicotine-filled, amber bostons?

Perhaps the answer differs on whether the freezer being used doubles as food storage vs dedicated to nic product.??

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I'm certain this has been covered but I'm not going back to dig it up. What temperature are most of you using to store your nicotine-filled, amber bostons?

Perhaps the answer differs on whether the freezer being used doubles as food storage vs dedicated to nic product.??
I keep mine as cold as possible.

upload_2019-10-5_8-34-45.png

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

The general recommendation for food storage in a freezer is 0°F. My wife's big chest freezer that I started keeping nic in early on has an external display that dithers between 0° and -1°. That seems to be adequate. On my little dedicated ones, I turn the control to "max". According to a cheap little analog freezer thermometer, this gets me a bit lower, usually -5° to -8°.

My theory is that colder is better. At one point I was toying with the idea of getting a two-stage freezer capable of really low temperatures, -40° or lower, but those are quite expensive (four figures) and power-hungry as well. Given the lack of degradation I've observed in a regular freezer over the past 5-1/2 years, I've pretty much abandoned the idea.

BTW, if I were bottling nic in Boston rounds for freezer storage today, I would choose choose clear ones. Since a freezer is dark inside, a tinted bottle is redundant, while a clear one would allow you to inspect and observe the nic's condition periodically in a completely non-invasive manner.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
My nic is in the bottom of a freezer shared with food and when I last checked the temp is about 5°F. Which reminds me to pull that pork .... out of the freezer to defrost. Pulled Pork in a couple days and room for another liter or two!

The freezer compromise has worked so far. Five year old nic in that freezer is still colorless and smooth. I use clear boston rounds in boxes that keep light out myself. If I get a batch that's starting to show oxidation I can shift them to the front of the queue. I don't want any surprises in ten years.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I keep mine as cold as possible.

View attachment 843009

The general recommendation for food storage in a freezer is 0°F. My wife's big chest freezer that I started keeping nic in early on has an external display that dithers between 0° and -1°. That seems to be adequate. On my little dedicated ones, I turn the control to "max". According to a cheap little analog freezer thermometer, this gets me a bit lower, usually -5° to -8°.

My theory is that colder is better. At one point I was toying with the idea of getting a two-stage freezer capable of really low temperatures, -40° or lower, but those are quite expensive (four figures) and power-hungry as well. Given the lack of degradation I've observed in a regular freezer over the past 5-1/2 years, I've pretty much abandoned the idea.

BTW, if I were bottling nic in Boston rounds for freezer storage today, I would choose choose clear ones. Since a freezer is dark inside, a tinted bottle is redundant, while a clear one would allow you to inspect and observe the nic's condition periodically in a completely non-invasive manner.

My nic is in the bottom of a freezer shared with food and when I last checked the temp is about 5°F. Which reminds me to pull that pork .... out of the freezer to defrost. Pulled Pork in a couple days and room for another liter or two!

The freezer compromise has worked so far. Five year old nic in that freezer is still colorless and smooth. I use clear boston rounds in boxes that keep light out myself. If I get a batch that's starting to show oxidation I can shift them to the front of the queue. I don't want any surprises in ten years.
Thanks fellas. My chest freezer in the garage hangs at about 0 degrees according to the analog thermometer I keep in it. Sounds like that is more than adequate. I already ordered the bottles and they are on their way (from Glass Bottle Outlet..good source. I think Rossum linked that one). I thought after it was too late I should of bought the clear bottles because I plan on building a wooden box to store them in. Oh, well. I suppose there are worse things I could do. I have 2.5 gallons of nic coming later next week too so I'll be in good shape.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Thanks fellas. My chest freezer in the garage hangs at about 0 degrees according to the analog thermometer I keep in it. Sounds like that is more than adequate. I already ordered the bottles and they are on their way (from Glass Bottle Outlet..good source. I think Rossum linked that one). I thought after it was too late I should of bought the clear bottles because I plan on building a wooden box to store them in. Oh, well. I suppose there are worse things I could do. I have 2.5 gallons of nic coming later next week too so I'll be in good shape.
One option I thought of was to buy a small quantity of clear bottles in the same size, then just have one bottle from each source bottle in clear. It would allow you to keep track of each batch's condition, just save the clear one until the others are used up. A canary in your nic coal mine.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
One option I thought of was to buy a small quantity of clear bottles in the same size, then just have one bottle from each source bottle in clear. It would allow you to keep track of each batch's condition, just save the clear one until the others are used up. A canary in your nic coal mine.
100% of my nic will be arriving in the same container (same batch) from the supplier. So the individual bottles I store them in should all behave the same. I have 10 total quarts coming so I'll break that down to (9) quart bottles + (8) 4-ounce bottles. I'll reuse the small bottles with each quart. Will also be a good time to inspect the solution for any degradation. High likelihood if one is bad they're all bad or if one is good they're all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread