Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Also, I'm a little disappointed with NN's Argon nic--that's what I buy and store in my freezer, but I'm beginning to wonder about Argon. It doesn't look like it's doing all that much to protect the nic from oxidation compared to your other samples.
All of my remaining long-term stash is NN Armor V1. I've had no complaints with it at after 5-6 years in the freezer. In fact one of the current set of samples is NN Armor V1 that I bought in 2014 and you can see it was perfectly free of color when I opened it last November. Of course the freezer samples still look just as good, and the refrigerator on nearly so, despite being re-bottled and thus no longer under argon.

All my other freezer samples also still look good, despite them not being under argon. So is argon necessary? Probably not, but it sure can't hurt either.

Do you titrate your nic when you take it out of storage or just check for color/smell/taste changes?
No, I don't titrate it. I take whiff when I open the bottle, and do a visual check of the color when I dump it into my clear mixing container. I do vape mostly (but not exclusively) unflavored, so I'm suspect I'm more aware of any off taste than people who use lots of flavoring might be.

Way back when, I mixed down a batch of unflavored using the leftovers from the blind test in the Nicotine Comparisons thread. Those 100mg leftovers had all been in a cupboard at room temperature for a few months and had all darkened to some degree. I was not happy with the taste of that batch. I vaped it anyway (waste not, want not), but I was glad when it was gone and it was time to make a new batch from base that had been stored in the freezer. That experience provided a good bit of the motivation for this thread.

Oh, NN says PG is better for long-term storage because of its low viscosity. Kurt argued the opposite--that VG is better because of high viscosity.
Yep. I'm starting to lean toward PG is better, but I'm not sure, and I don't think the difference is huge in any case. I started out buying my nic in PG, then switched to VG later, based on Kurt's writings. Since I've been using my nic on a FIFO basis, I've never mixed down any of my VG nic. I suppose I should do that at some point, but it's unclear when that might be. I'm not sure I have any VG nic down in here in FL, and up in PA, I made a big batch of unflavored not long before I left, which will have to get used before I make another batch up there.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
What's a girl to do!

In my humble opinion, nic of whatever strength or dillutant, if kept in the freezer, will be fine. I store pure nic, and 6 year old pure nic coming out of the freezer is still just as crystal clear as when I bought it.

I do titrate samples from each original batch after I dilute it down to 100mg/ml and my titrations show no degradation. My titrations are probably (hopefully) better than the standard +/-10% mail order kits because I have much better labware and use methods recommended by pros like Dr Kurt and also the owner of Wizard Labs (who sent me a bunch of pro labware and very detailed advice).

The key, and @Rossum 's trial backs it up, is just simply keeping it as cold as possible. Do this and degradation will be imperceptible even after years of storage.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    Carolina Extracts in PG

are these Carolina Reaper extracts?)
    will be fun to vape I guess
    semena-perets-chili-karolinskiy-zhnets.jpg

Reactions: Plumes.91

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    All of my remaining long-term stash is NN Armor V1.
    Mike's post just reminded me of something. What I wrote above is not correct. I also have roughly a 12 year supply (based on my current usage) in a, shall we say, "more compact" form than the NN Armor V1.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    are these Carolina Reaper extracts?
    Well, their VG nic might just be. Their PG nic smelled and looked very clean. But their VG nic didn't. I made a single unflavored batch from a 50/50 mixture of the CX left-overs and I don't care for it at all. I really wish I had made separate batches from the PG and VG bases so I'd know if it was just the VG nic that I don't care for or whether it's their nic in general.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It is in small (60 ml) bottles. If/when I decide to use it, I have a plan that I am quite confident in.

Having been a Member here a Long Time, I have heard many people who have come up with Many Crazy Plans.

You are definitely Not one of them.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Well thank you for all of your hard work and your impressive labeling system :) it stands to reason but it's nice to be able to point to something and say c he did this and the freezer in the fridge sure as heck look a lot better than that ambient room temperature does. I was surprised when one of my packages from a company that sells discount e-juice that's really close or just after its date got stuck in the mail system for almost two months. There were four out of 12 bottles that were crystal clear and I was like I wonder how in the world this happened sure enough the four bottles that were clear had 0 Nic

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    All my nic is in a 50/50 base so it contracts considerably when frozen. I am trying to figure out the safest way to bottle it for freezing that won't result in a lot of shattered glass. I'm thinking that I should decant it into the bottles chilled, fill each bottle 3/4 full and top with argon. Any thoughts?

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I store my Nicotine in the freezer in dark thick glass bottles. They are not a mix of pg and vg, some are in pg only, others in vg only. I've had them in the freezer for 3yrs so far with no problems. They are full bottles and dont appear to have any problems with expansion. Just take one out when needed, leave to settle in room temperature for a day and good to go.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    All my nic is in a 50/50 base so it contracts considerably when frozen. I am trying to figure out the safest way to bottle it for freezing that won't result in a lot of shattered glass. I'm thinking that I should decant it into the bottles chilled, fill each bottle 3/4 full and top with argon. Any thoughts?
    Having done 50/50 at times, 100% of VG or PG, and 100% pure nic, all in glass Boston Rounds, I didnt have a problem with expansion/contraction in any of the variants. Just let it thaw before opening to minimize moisture contamination.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread