Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I like to use silicone tape. I think it makes a better seal and would be more suitable to prevent leaks. Also, it is less messy because it adheres to itself instead of using an adhesive.

Also, half our house's plumbing is silicone tape. When a pipe is 3/4 silicone tape, then I change the pipe.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
  • Informative
Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
No problem Kat.

Me, I would go with this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...5-Electrical-Tape-Yellow-10844-DL-5/304653476

Shocking Yellow just seems more appropriate for 100mg/ml Nicotine Base.

Nope. I have some black electrical tape, but I prefer white. :D
But White Tape can tell you what Wire does what.

How so?
So it is Not a bad idea to have a Roll on hand if you are into things like that.

I'm not yet. Should I be? :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

How so?

I'm not yet. Should I be? :)

When you go to Change a Wall Outlet or a Switch in your house, the White Wire is the "Neutral Wire". (Black is Phase. And Green is Ground)

Sometimes you Need to add some Length to the Wires. But all you have is Black Wire. So you add a piece of Black Wire to the White Wire and then put some White Tape on it's end so later You know that the Wire is Black, but it is Really a Neutral White Wire.

Same with the Green Ground Wire. Add a piece of Black Wire to the end but put Green Electrical Tape on it so you know it's really a Ground.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I used dollar tree electrical tape to tape of my first batch of nic that I bought 'cuz that's what I had.

After a year in the freezer, it sticks and seems to seal so well it's an actually
    b:censored:h to unwrap it. Yet once you are able to start getting it off, it's still stretchy.

I wrap it CW then use friction with my hand/fingers to really seal it up CW.

For the rest I went to HD and bought some and it doesn't seem any different, not even the adhesive.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    Some of you guys and gals will have to update your wills. ;)
    More importantly is to label the freezer goods, and leave instructions on handling. Wouldnt want our loved ones getting careless with the stuff. Especially if they are not vape savvy.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    @Rossum What is that tape that you used in the picture below? I think NN uses the same kind. I bought some CNT nicotine and rebottled it already, but I would like to add some tape--just in case.

dhV8oVF.jpg
    zoiD is correct. It's just white electrical tape. Provided the caps are screwed down tightly (and I make sure they are!) I don't think it really does much aside from being a reminder that those particular bottles are not to be opened or used. I mostly use it for labelling my juice (among other things).

E.g: Here's what's on my desk right now:

7I9xLWz.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    zoiD is correct. It's just white electrical tape. Provided the caps are screwed down tightly (and I make sure they are!) I don't think it really does much aside from being a reminder that those particular bottles are not to be opened or used. I mostly use it for labelling my juice (among other things).

7I9xLWz.jpg
    Yeah, well thanks to you no one can walk three feet in this house without looking at white electrical tape on something around here.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Apologies if this has already been asked and answered... Does it matter if the nic base is PG, VG or a mixture of the two for storage life?

There are two schools of thought. One, led by @Kurt, our one time resident chemist, says that VG is better because it's more viscous and keeps nicotine molecules from bumping into each other. Second school, per RTS and Nude Nicotine chemists, says that PG is better because PG is less viscous and allows any oxygen bubbles in the mixture to be expelled faster and PG has a longer shelf life than VG to begin with.

I have had all three kinds of bases in my freezer for years (VG, PG, and blends)--never noticed any difference.

What matters most is the purity of the nicotine base you buy (CNT, Chemnovatic and Nude are the best in my experience) and how it's stored--glass bottles in the freezer.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    There are two schools of thought. One, led by @Kurt, our one time resident chemist, says that VG is better because it's more viscous and keeps nicotine molecules from bumping into each other. Second school, per RTS and Nude Nicotine chemists, says that PG is better because PG is less viscous and allows any oxygen bubbles in the mixture to be expelled faster and PG has a longer shelf life than VG to begin with.

I have had all three kinds of bases in my freezer for years (VG, PG, and blends)--never noticed any difference.

What matters most is the purity of the nicotine base you buy (CNT, Chemnovatic and Nude are the best in my experience) and how it's stored--glass bottles in the freezer.

There's a third school of thought that belongs to skeebo. Something about spontaneous combustion.:D

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Yep, I've both PG and VG nic in my samples and don't see a much difference either. E.g, have a look at the pics in post 933 of this very thread. Two of the bottles (one in the freezer group, one in the room temperature group) are VG the rest are PG. Can you tell which is which without studying the labels?

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

7I9xLWz.jpg

Another question. Do you (all y'all) think that those caps with glass pipettes are as airtight as the ones with phenolic cones? It's been bugging me forever.

Not for freezer use, but generally.

Reactions: mikepetro
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread