Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Another question. Do you (all y'all) think that those caps with glass pipettes are as airtight as the ones with phenolic cones? It's been bugging me forever.

Not for freezer use, but generally.

I would have to say that with a working bottle, it is okay to use them. I have read that over time the rubber can & will break down, so for long term go with the phenolic caps. :|

KAS

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
This makes no sense to me. -3F to 5F is still freezing temp range. Is there really any "thawing" going on, let alone a "freeze/thaw cycle"? When my old fridge freezer is working "normally", it fluctuates from 0F to 10F. While I am soon to get a new, dedicated nic freezer, I just find this statement from Carolina Extracts a bit hard to understand.

A group of us discussed this years ago before stockpiling/storing liquid nic became popular. I think CE is saying that frost free freezers aren't ideal for long term (decades) storage of liquid nic because of the defrost cycle. Frost free freezers go through a daily "heating" cycle that helps drive off frost buildup. During the defrost cycle, heating coils (located behind the back panel in the freezer) warm the air in the freezer briefly. Old fashioned freezers have no heated defrost cycle and maintain a constant set temperature, but, must periodically be manually defrosted. I don't believe defrost cycles have much of an effect on liquid nic. During the brief heat cycle the actual temperature of the liquid nic wouldn't fluctuate enough to make a difference. Just my opinion.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    A group of us discussed this years ago before stockpiling/storing liquid nic became popular. I think CE is saying that frost free freezers aren't ideal for long term (decades) storage of liquid nic because of the defrost cycle. Frost free freezers go through a daily "heating" cycle that helps drive off frost buildup. During the defrost cycle, heating coils (located behind the back panel in the freezer) warm the air in the freezer briefly. Old fashioned freezers have no heated defrost cycle and maintain a constant set temperature, but, must periodically be manually defrosted. I don't believe defrost cycles have much of an effect on liquid nic. During the brief heat cycle the actual temperature of the liquid nic wouldn't fluctuate enough to make a difference. Just my opinion.

OK, so maybe you solved my problem I've been having. I have an old fridge/freezer that goes as high as 35F every now and then. I thought it was broke, but maybe that's just it's defrost cycle. I dunno.

Reactions: Str8vision

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Another question. Do you (all y'all) think that those caps with glass pipettes are as airtight as the ones with phenolic cones? It's been bugging me forever.

Not for freezer use, but generally.
    You mean the dropper tops with the rubber Squeeze bulbs like in my picture?

No, I don't think they are as air-tight as proper polycone caps. I suspect rubber bulb is at least somewhat permeable to oxygen and I certainly wouldn't use them for long-term storage.

That said, I've put bottles partially full bottles like the blue one in my pic in the freezer for a couple of months at a time. I do that with the the bottle I'm using here when I head up to PA, and the bottle I'm using in PA when I head down here. Most of the time when I pull it out, the bulb is collapsed because the shrinkage of the liquid caused a partial vaccum in the bottle and the fact that it remains collapsed for months suggests that the pressure hasn't equalized due to air leaking in.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I can now attest that nicotine stored in a freezer with a defrost cycle is bad for nicotine. I had one bottle (plastic) in there and I noticed it is now turning yellow. I moved it to the stand up freezer without a defrost cycle with my other nicotine bottles.

I didn't know they made freezers without defrost cycles anymore. Or is your other freezer really old (I have one, proabably from 1975).

Reactions: BillW50

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I didn't know they made freezers without defrost cycles anymore. Or is your other freezer really old (I have one, proabably from 1975).

It is a stand up freezer (a size of a kitchen fridge) that is at least 20 years old (no older than 25 years) that I have kept in the basement.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It is a stand up freezer (a size of a kitchen fridge) that is at least 20 years old (no older than 25 years) that I have kept in the basement.

OK so that means anyone storing in a modern "frost free" freezer may be up for a surprise in the long term.

Ho wold is the nic that's turning yellow?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I can now attest that nicotine stored in a freezer with a defrost cycle is bad for nicotine. I had one bottle (plastic) in there and I noticed it is now turning yellow. I moved it to the stand up freezer without a defrost cycle with my other nicotine bottles.

Kinda a Small Sample Size to draw a firm inference.

How did the Bottles in Glass Do in that Defrost Cycling Freezer?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I didn't know they made freezers without defrost cycles anymore.
    I have yet to see a chest freezer that does automatic defrost; at least none of ours do, and we have several. My 2.1 cubic foot dedicated nic freezers don't do that either.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have yet to see a chest freezer that does automatic defrost; at least none of ours do, and we have several. My 2.1 cubic foot dedicated nic freezers don't do that either.

Then how are they "frost free" (assuming they are frost free). Someone said in this thread or another that the reason why frost free freezers are frost free is because they have a defrosting cycle.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    OK, never mind. I see that none of the small chest freezers I'm looking at are frost free. I assumed all modern freezers are but from what I'm reading, very few chest freezers are frost free. Which is fine by me. Not a big deal to defrost a small freezer.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR

Your experience surprises me. I have all my nic stored in my refrigerator/freezer, which is frost free. I'm currently using 6 year old nicotine that is as fresh as the day I bought it.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Your experience surprises me. I have all my nic stored in my refrigerator/freezer, which is frost free. I'm currently using 6 year old nicotine that is as fresh as the day I bought it.

Well I am surprised how fast the nic turned yellow (just a couple of months). It is from LNW and was sitting on the bottom right corner which is probably the worst place due to the heating cycle for defrost. It is also the only LNW nic bottle I have. It might be a LNW problem. My MFS nic plastic bottles are still looking fine in the freezer without self-defrosting since last year.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    As a point of reference, here's a picture of RTS (now Nicotine Giant) 100mg PG that was bottled in 2014, stored in the freezer, then moved to glass by me in 2016. It's next to a bottle of water.
    ChDt1QK0yellrk8j4v0HN0l7Wy0C02v5voJPz93EE-Ku_KvJOhvoHgF9gooAAKjI4Vi3YaHKFMUm9RVDuirvOvWDvl2kWBdploCg_a6ymN7Vrb6Vin4IhYer2iYeqs_xKZzwTeWddjahSawNaqkt28sW0IyNkfDUCBiLAbPeT7dLarVgY5jf69RAoyJ7U-F8Yk48AiH_fPatS9_gmrs2NKSqGc8IX4NQKVkCzVg1qCZnLjgIxFqthf0VkyADco-zzGKbTTmnpSBrEnbnDP6iHigqgA-FVbVtETXnCMyMjskyAgEckooUeEDieFEOZi_uxdwwGN78m74LBVyOzmigvD84IBksKceMhm8GAPu7AdzynE-gYss2AWDpVeSeSpBDwRaw0GUvOZsc-1aNQ9mA6-houJk6qDsR20hoSl0qK06_k5st1uRXpthFG08KSj_yvHFgMB2sLom7qJqgAVBFWx8-JhvtLO50PPVzsjT3ThEKlIqwCUaREq8wfDNigQHy7RIc-Ozs9JqiHWWJSmJpvmOu8SQeMXfXcQrItmaI-C42ZUWbIZ_O5bXt8cD6DQmll2xX4meTDkJuJCQlsl1QYQs5VJ5us40R5d5qH9svVOMcjr6kgqzR9_9oS0iLCLa-ZoAh4-MtM5OiRWcz0CE_9vmDFPbDq-ysWSjBXl8jJgYGRq7uOE316vrzfuUj_DF2IvGedaAq9p6t3uz4zh_BiU4=w996-h747-no

I recall a slight tinge of color when I moved it to glass five years ago. I don't know if it was there when I bought it in early 2015. I'm happy with how well it's holding up.

GaryInTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    NE Texas, USA
    I just took out of the freezer a 120ml glass bottle of 60mg Nic in PG from Wizard Labs. I had re-bottled this into the glass bottle and put in the freezer on 8/6/13. Eight years and several power outages later it is still crystal clear and taste the same as always.

Bronze

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    I just took out of the freezer a 120ml glass bottle of 60mg Nic in PG from Wizard Labs. I had re-bottled this into the glass bottle and put in the freezer on 8/6/13. Eight years and several power outages later it is still crystal clear and taste the same as always.
    Like hear testimonials like this.

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I have some 100mg nic that was lightly yellowed when it arrived (ordered in Summer). As far as I can tell it hasn't affected the taste of any flavored juice I've made so far. The only difference is that it steeps a lot faster. Makes it handy for trying out new flavors and recipes, so that's what I have it set aside for.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread