Nic salt or freebase

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I’m think of refilling my Alto pods. Do you have to use nic salt based liquids or are freebase liquids okay to use? If either can be used pro/cons of nic salt vs. freebase?
pods are commonly used with nic salt, freebase nic ones are used too, since most are mostly mtl you will need at least 6mg freebase liquids,

i like nic salt for all mtl related, personal taste.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
If you want it to taste like nicotine, use freebase. If you don't want a nicotine taste, use salts. Nicotine has a peppery taste that gets a bit overwhelming beyond 20mg or so. I prefer freebase in lower-mg liquids since it gives the sensation of an active ingredient doing something.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you want it to taste like nicotine, use freebase. If you don't want a nicotine taste, use salts. Nicotine has a peppery taste that gets a bit overwhelming beyond 20mg or so. I prefer freebase in lower-mg liquids since it gives the sensation of an active ingredient doing something.
I personally have never tasted freebase nic unless is was of very low quality. I also never vapes over 25mg/ml though. I don’t trust protonated nic myself, but I accept that some smokers can’t handle the throat hit at the nic level they need to quit smoking. IMHO protonated nic has its place but that place is much much smaller than the place it now occupies. Worse, really high nic levels in tiny stealth vapes seem to be causing serious problems in schools that are bad enough to destroy vaping entirely.

Will they (society in general) allow the old smokers to die in order to save the children? Yes. Yes they will. It’s happened before. It will happen again.
they will do it even if the solution they come to doesn’t actually work. That has also happened before. Many proponents of “salt” don’t get how much bad press salts are producing and how fundamentally damaging it is. There are other issues regarding salts like lack of testing and possible safety issues and the way the creator lied about it, but they are starting to be eclipsed by the other issue.

I personally would only consider protonated nic if it’s impossible to tolerate unprotonated.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I personally have never tasted freebase nic unless is was of very low quality. I also never vapes over 25mg/ml though. I don’t trust protonated nic myself, but I accept that some smokers can’t handle the throat hit at the nic level they need to quit smoking. IMHO protonated nic has its place but that place is much much smaller than the place it now occupies. Worse, really high nic levels in tiny stealth vapes seem to be causing serious problems in schools that are bad enough to destroy vaping entirely.

Will they (society in general) allow the old smokers to die in order to save the children? Yes. Yes they will. It’s happened before. It will happen again.
they will do it even if the solution they come to doesn’t actually work. That has also happened before. Many proponents of “salt” don’t get how much bad press salts are producing and how fundamentally damaging it is. There are other issues regarding salts like lack of testing and possible safety issues and the way the creator lied about it, but they are starting to be eclipsed by the other issue.

I personally would only consider protonated nic if it’s impossible to tolerate unprotonated.
Oh look, it's 'protonated' nic guy. You never miss a chance to reiterate this FUD. Do me a favor and don't tag me on your paranoid conspiracy theory posts. Thanks.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Oh look, it's 'protonated' nic guy. You never miss a chance to reiterate this FUD. Do me a favor and don't tag me on your paranoid conspiracy theory posts. Thanks.
It’s simple. I tell the bare truth as I know it. You don’t. You say what is most personally useful to you. What I say is not personally useful to me. It’s not impossible I’m wrong. I kind of hope I am really.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I like "hit" salts. No headache from freebase, and no "cracked out" feeling from benzo-nic.

Slight peppery taste to it, by I have no issue with that.

Personally, I know the lab stuff, salt, freebase, it doesn't matter, either way, was lab created, but freebase nic doesn't occur naturally. It protonates itself very quickly with oxygen. In tobacco, there is little, if any freebase.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I like "hit" salts. No headache from freebase, and no "cracked out" feeling from benzo-nic.

Slight peppery taste to it, by I have no issue with that.

Personally, I know the lab stuff, salt, freebase, it doesn't matter, either way, was lab created, but freebase nic doesn't occur naturally. It protonates itself very quickly with oxygen. In tobacco, there is little, if any freebase.
Your chemical description doesn’t make sense to me.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@Greg Berky
Chemistry aside.
Nic salts that have a high nicotine content are apparently more palatable than high strength freebase juices. This makes them potentially more suitable for pods or devices that produce a relatively small amount of vapor, but need to satisfy ones nicotine requirements. This anecdotal information as I have not tried nic salts myself.
However, look at the original Juul which used a 50mg nic salt juice it's pods. If you have ever vaped freebase juice even close to this strength you would know that its not easy. Yet this device sold like hot cakes to both smokers and non-smokers alike.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Heh heh. Multiple disagrees. In a question of ”nic salt or freebase” apparently any answer of “freebase” gets attacked. No arguments as to why. Just “we don’t like that”. I guess lots of people just don’t like to hear that protonated nic may be causing serious problems, or may wind up killing vaping entirely.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Heh heh. Multiple disagrees. In a question of ”nic salt or freebase” apparently any answer of “freebase” gets attacked. No arguments as to why. Just “we don’t like that”. I guess lots of people just don’t like to hear that protonated nic may be causing serious problems, or may wind up killing vaping entirely.
Sure, blame the "new guy," nic salt. It couldn't possibly be pig tobacco/big pharma, and their love child, freebase. I don't freebase drugs, sorry, I'm not a junkie.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sure, blame the "new guy," nic salt. It couldn't possibly be pig tobacco/big pharma, and their love child, freebase. I don't freebase drugs, sorry, I'm not a junkie.
Actually I’m betting you do. Or eat them anyway. Anything that isn’t acid or neutral is a base. “Freebase” literally means unattached chemical that is not an acid or ph neutral. This is why the JUUL marketers changed the language. The scientists who actually worked on the stuff it has been shown from documentation used the terms “protonated” and unprotonated”. That’s the actual language. The word “freebase” got into popular culture through “freebase .......” though, so when the weasels in marketing got ahold of the the thing they changed the words used so their product looked less bad, and the competitor (now called “freebase”) looked bad. Classic psychological manipulation. It’s not even remotely new. Ever wonder why it’s called “jaywalking”?

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
I tried refilling my Alto pods before, it's do-able but not quite as simple as Juul pods.

Honestly, I'd just get a Uwell Caliburn and just refill that. The Alto pods burn out quickly. They always seemed to leak after I refilled them too.

But if you have lots of extra pods and want to save a few bucks, why not? If you like the Alto flavors they use Halo e-juice, btw.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave

Do you think those people who are in intensive care due to vaping were actually vaping nicotine salts instead of the black market spice mixture that’s been reported? First I’ve heard this take that salts will destroy vaping. Well just like these evil black rifles that keep entering public places and shooting people, salts need to be banned. I don’t care if it has anything to do with these hospitalized people or not, salts, and guns for that matter, are murdering people and I say no more!! We need common sense legislation like red flag laws for those vapers who may sneak salts into innocent harmless freebase and then going door to door and confiscating salts from the people. Are you picking up what I’m putting down here? I hope so because I’m putting down thick.
P.S. it’s for the children, we must always, always, think of the children for Christ’s sake

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Do you think those people who are in intensive care due to vaping were actually vaping nicotine salts instead of the black market spice mixture that’s been reported?
no. This is a fairly old post. Check the time stamps. You seem to be conflating a post made before all this CDC stuff and about a different subject with something that happened later
First I’ve heard this take that salts will destroy vaping.
it’s been an issue ever since the issue of kids vaping JUUL started. I’ve been talking about it long enough that I’ve gotten pushback about it for months simply because it’s repetitive. I can’t control what you hear or don’t hear.
Well just like these evil black rifles that keep entering public places and shooting people,
lolwut? “Evil black rifles”? Not sure what you’re referring to. You mean the weapons used by right wingers shooting up civilians? Most low cost rifles are black, or nearly black. Parkerizing is a common low cost antitrust treatment. It happens to be black, usually. “Black rifle” just means cheap rifle. The crazy dudes are usually not rich and use cheap equipment. I think there’s a connection you or someone is making here that may not exist.
salts need to be banned. I don’t care if it has anything to do with these hospitalized people or not, salts, and guns for that matter, are murdering people and I say no more!!
you used the G word. I did that once. Once. The amount of blowback was epic.
We need common sense legislation like red flag laws for those vapers who may sneak salts into innocent harmless freebase and then going door to door and confiscating salts from the people.
AH! Parody. You’re saying what you WISH I said and hoping someone will believe I said such stuff instead of you. Or maybe you delusionally think I said or implied any of the stuff you are saying.
Are you picking up what I’m putting down here?
no. It’s sticky, slimy, and filled with crazy.
I hope so because I’m putting down thick.
P.S. it’s for the children, we must always, always, think of the children for Christ’s sake
this last one is oft repeated. Generally when somebody wants to do something overreactive. They do it because it works though. Denial doesn’t help. And it’s a technique that works. Sure you can stand up and say “that’s crap!” And be totally right. And you would be. Doesn’t help though. It still works.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I was just taking this nicotine salts are bad and they kill people argument and comparing it to the gun debate in this country. Then I used the solution some folks come up with for gun violence and applied it to your nicotine salts are dangerous argument. I did this in hopes folks who support banning guns could see the ridiculousness of this solution and if they couldn’t maybe they could relate when something they use was talked about being banned. Banning things adults use and enjoy is never a solution. Actually I was just being a smart ... with that first post but now things have gotten out of hand. I never wanted to have a serious discussion about these issues so I’m going to stop before we start linking to surveys, statistics, and pertinent data to support our positions. When the ramblings of a stark raving madman goes off the rails.

Reactions: Rossum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread