yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
old news
and you are somewhat correct.
I believe the model was reported elsewhere in this forum, but not enough details to determine cause.

I don't believe this is the same incident, if you are talking about the one that was reported here recently. That one took place in Colorado. This news story is out of the Gulf Coast - Mobile/Pensacola area.

winston8256

Mar 9, 2009
Florida
A strange accident has left a Niceville man with severe injuries and burns.
He was smoking an electronic cigarette when it blew up in his face.

Laura Hussey "When firefighters here at the North Bay station got the call there'd been an explosion in someone's home, they thought it might be an oxygen tank. It turns out something much smaller had done some awful damage"

HoneyPie

Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Florida
This is so unfortunate and my heart goes out to this man and his family. And the story appears on Drudge report so it will most likely hurt the e cig industry. I suppose we will never find out the brand or cause .. was it a mod? Was he stacking batteries when he shouldn't have? was he using protected batteries? So many questions that need to be answered for the safety of us all. I chose a ProVari as my ecig device because of all the safety features but it is still an uneasy reality that a horrible incident like this can happen.

idontknow

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2012
in the middle of Missouri
This is just a reminder to the noobs to read the stickeys here on ecf about exploding batteries.
Sorry for him and his family.
Apparently he wasn't a member here on ecf or just didn't read the stickeys..
Or maybe he is and did read the about exploding batteries and this was a freak accident.
Murphy's law I guess...

Granted it is one of the few, but these types of accidents don't help the cause for getting the "healthier" alternative message across to legislators & analog smokers. It is unfortunate to happen at a time when the e-cigarette industry is under such scrutiny. I imagine uninformed non-smokers are looking for whatever reason to squash this trend.

In perspective, though, how much damage is done by combustable cigarettes? Incomparible.

Just another example of why safety measures need to be in placed to keep potentially unsafe e-cigarette products out of the market.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
this is horrible, gruesome!! :( Makes me not want to pick up and vape my 510. I've heard about electric shavers exploding and ruining your face or killing people, but we don't have electric razors in our mouths almost 24/7 like we do e-cigarettes. this is definitely scary, I hope my batteries are safe and protected. yikes. :(

Flying W

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
CFH,Tx.
I have been looking at my bullet for the last hour and thinking....This could have happened to anyone on this forum. If Tom had been vaping for two years ,chances are he is a member of one of the forums. If he has been vaping for two years ,he probably was being safe about it,and thought he was taking the safer alternative to smoking . I learned about the possible danger of ecig explosion the first week I vaped. I hope he is OK and hope this doesnt cause a whirlwind of action against ecigs. A couple more of these stories and Big Tobacco is going to have the bullets they need to get ecigs out of their hair. I cant stop thinking that he was a member of this forum.Does anyone know a member named Tom. I can think of serveral Tom's on the forum. Everyone check your gear..Be safe ..This is not good.

Last edited:

stephpd

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2011
Delaware
I just read this and it freaked me out a bit...I know...probably jumping the gun. I do want to know what type he was using and I thought initially it might have been an unprotected battery. I hope we find out. I'm still not too afraid though.

Information like that is almost never carried in the news. The 'news' anymore is about sensationalism, not facts.

Same could be said if he was using a spacer on a flat topped battery and it shorted out. It these type of things we'll never find out.

The big news is these things (all the different brands) are killers and should be banned from sales. That's what the news does best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread