The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Niceville e-cig exploding

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by MattZuke, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MattZuke

    MattZuke Super Member ECF Veteran

    Feb 28, 2011
    A, A
  2. Striker911

    Striker911 Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jan 7, 2012
    Mountain Home, AR
    I seen that. Poor old, sick man, takes an explosion to the mouth. That is horrible.
     
  3. Rocketman

    Rocketman Ultra Member ECF Veteran

    old news
    and you are somewhat correct.
    I believe the model was reported elsewhere in this forum, but not enough details to determine cause.
    EDIT: I am probably wrong. Could be a different event. Sorry.




    Do you vape a safe mod?
     
  4. yvilla

    yvilla Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 18, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I don't believe this is the same incident, if you are talking about the one that was reported here recently. That one took place in Colorado. This news story is out of the Gulf Coast - Mobile/Pensacola area.
     
  5. Rocketman

    Rocketman Ultra Member ECF Veteran

    Thanks,
    so that makes 2 with some missing facts.
    Such a shame we can't rely on the news to give us news that has facts in it.
    But then that would be Journalism instead of Entertainmentism :)
     
  6. slr817

    slr817 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jul 28, 2010
    Nacogdoches, Texas
    Scary.......makes me a little nervous to use mine but I follow all the rules..use protected batteries and such but sometimes it"s just a freak accident that something like this happens..poor guy
     
  7. winston8256

    winston8256 Full Member

    Mar 9, 2009
    Florida
  8. winston8256

    winston8256 Full Member

    Mar 9, 2009
    Florida
    A strange accident has left a Niceville man with severe injuries and burns.
    He was smoking an electronic cigarette when it blew up in his face.

    Laura Hussey "When firefighters here at the North Bay station got the call there'd been an explosion in someone's home, they thought it might be an oxygen tank. It turns out something much smaller had done some awful damage"
     
  9. betlbug

    betlbug Full Member

    Jan 27, 2012
    San Diego CA
  10. HoneyPie

    HoneyPie Full Member Verified Member

    Jan 4, 2012
    Florida
    This is so unfortunate and my heart goes out to this man and his family. And the story appears on Drudge report so it will most likely hurt the e cig industry. I suppose we will never find out the brand or cause .. was it a mod? Was he stacking batteries when he shouldn't have? was he using protected batteries? So many questions that need to be answered for the safety of us all. I chose a ProVari as my ecig device because of all the safety features but it is still an uneasy reality that a horrible incident like this can happen.
     
  11. St. Nick

    St. Nick Senior Member ECF Veteran

    Jul 24, 2011
    Southern Arizona
    That's one out of how many millions of PV's we use? How many everyday items we use daily do the same thing, and not a second thought given. This is nothing to get all worked up about. My heart does go out to him and his family, though. Hope he recovers.
     
  12. idontknow

    idontknow Senior Member ECF Veteran

    This is just a reminder to the noobs to read the stickeys here on ecf about exploding batteries.
    Sorry for him and his family.
    Apparently he wasn't a member here on ecf or just didn't read the stickeys..
    Or maybe he is and did read the about exploding batteries and this was a freak accident.
    Murphy's law I guess...
     
  13. UpInTheCut

    UpInTheCut Senior Member ECF Veteran

    Aug 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I just read this on the Drudge Report....I'm sure the MSM will now take notice of this story
    -Up
     
  14. PONKAW

    PONKAW Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    May 6, 2011
    Panama city
    It says he has been vaping for two years.
    Could a defective ego blow all your teeth out?
    Would a vented mod act like this?

    More to come for sure.
    Don
     
  15. Fazed

    Fazed Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Apr 22, 2011
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I wonder what type and brand device/battery he was using. What type of charger he used etc. This isn't going to help us any.
     
  16. cckelly290

    cckelly290 Full Member

    Dec 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Granted it is one of the few, but these types of accidents don't help the cause for getting the "healthier" alternative message across to legislators & analog smokers. It is unfortunate to happen at a time when the e-cigarette industry is under such scrutiny. I imagine uninformed non-smokers are looking for whatever reason to squash this trend.

    In perspective, though, how much damage is done by combustable cigarettes? Incomparible.

    Just another example of why safety measures need to be in placed to keep potentially unsafe e-cigarette products out of the market.
     
  17. zara1269

    zara1269 Super Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I just read this and it freaked me out a bit...I know...probably jumping the gun. I do want to know what type he was using and I thought initially it might have been an unprotected battery. I hope we find out. I'm still not too afraid though.
     
  18. Plumes.91

    Plumes.91 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    this is horrible, gruesome!! :( Makes me not want to pick up and vape my 510. I've heard about electric shavers exploding and ruining your face or killing people, but we don't have electric razors in our mouths almost 24/7 like we do e-cigarettes. this is definitely scary, I hope my batteries are safe and protected. yikes. :(
     
  19. Flying W

    Flying W Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jun 2, 2011
    CFH,Tx.
    I have been looking at my bullet for the last hour and thinking....This could have happened to anyone on this forum. If Tom had been vaping for two years ,chances are he is a member of one of the forums. If he has been vaping for two years ,he probably was being safe about it,and thought he was taking the safer alternative to smoking . I learned about the possible danger of ecig explosion the first week I vaped. I hope he is OK and hope this doesnt cause a whirlwind of action against ecigs. A couple more of these stories and Big Tobacco is going to have the bullets they need to get ecigs out of their hair. I cant stop thinking that he was a member of this forum.Does anyone know a member named Tom. I can think of serveral Tom's on the forum. Everyone check your gear..Be safe ..This is not good.
     
  20. stephpd

    stephpd Super Member ECF Veteran

    Nov 24, 2011
    Delaware
    Information like that is almost never carried in the news. The 'news' anymore is about sensationalism, not facts.

    Same could be said if he was using a spacer on a flat topped battery and it shorted out. It these type of things we'll never find out.

    The big news is these things (all the different brands) are killers and should be banned from sales. That's what the news does best.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice