The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Niceville e-cig exploding

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by MattZuke, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. kickitback

kickitback Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Nov 28, 2009
    NC
    Most likely a mod with no vent holes since it blew all his teeth out .
    Probably stacked batteries .

In anyways it's still a bad accident and I wish him a fast recovery.

Accidents happens and will happen but it's our responsibility as users to be as careful as possible . Know your device, know what battery to use , know about charging process .

Picking up any mod with some cheap or stacked batts is irresponsible. ( not saying that's the case with that guy but In general .)

2. NorthOfAtlanta

NorthOfAtlanta Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Personal thoughts on this, I won't quit using SmokefreE-cigarettes because of this anymore than I would quit driving because a friend got t-boned at a red light by a drunk who ran it.

There are to many things that could have caused this accident to list, from manufacturing defect to something he did wrong, I'm going to wait for more info to come out and then try to make sure I protect myself from whatever happened in this case.

3. Mudflap

Mudflap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Tyler, Texas
    I'm not surprised. Many vape oriented vendors are selling batteries not suitable for applications in PV's. They're doing little to nothing to educate their customers on choosing and using rechargeable lithium batteries.

4. V8P

V8P Senior Member

Mar 20, 2009
    New York
    Wow! It knocked out some of his teeth and part of his tongue? That's crazy. I wish him a good recovery.

5. brokepainter

brokepainter Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 26, 2011
    Bristol, Tn USA
  6. Fisherman

Fisherman Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2009
    UK
    Bad news.

I noticed that the report carried no details of damage caused by real cigarettes ?????

7. V8P

V8P Senior Member

Mar 20, 2009
    New York
    Actually, it did. It mentioned that he had lung problems so he stopped smoking. Besides, this story is about an ecig blowing up in someone's mouth...why would it mention real cigarettes?

8. MaxxVapor

MaxxVapor Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2009
    Al USA
    I just spoke to the Chief at North Bay Fire District in Niceville. The incident happened 2/13/12. The battery that failed was unrecognizable but they found several 3.0v (Cr123a) lithium ion batteries and a recharger so it strongly appears the man was using a MOD. For new people: Usually a tube like a flashlight that holds 2 of these batteries to create a more powerful ecigarette. ECF has been very vocal on the dangers of MODs using cheap, unprotected batteries or the incorrect load (rating) for the atomizer attached to it, etc.. These MODs are very common but this shows how dangerous they can be. Be careful people!
    Hope Tom recovers quickly.

The story is here:
    Battery thought to be cause of e-cigarette blast - UPI.com

9. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Midwest
    Accidents happen and this one is most unfortunate...
    However, we don't have all the facts and how this accident
    relates specifically to the PVs we use.

Name 1 thing in the world today that is 100% Safe
    Mmmmm....
    The water that comes out our kitchen taps...Nope
    The Air we Breathe...Nope
    Chantix (FDA Approved)....Nope
    Cell phones ???

We live in an upside down world knowing that nothing is 100% Safe
    and research to reduce our own personal risks. Some may stop vaping
    because this accident scared them...but will get in their car and drive
    to the store which is in of itself a calculated risk.

For me...A most unfortunate accident which may or may not have been
    preventable. However, I'm vaping as I type and this accident will not
    effect me beyond doing a little more research about batteries.

10. lowwkeyy

lowwkeyy Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2009
    TX USA
  11. Uma

Uma Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2010
    Calif
    Thoughts and prayers go out to this unfortunate man and his family.

Staying tuned in for updates.

12. Stubby

Stubby Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Vent holes will not prevent an explosion with a runaway battery. It might give you a second or two warning before it blows but a few small vent holes will not relieve enough pressure fast enough to prevent it. A great majority of the modes out have abysmal safety features with no backup cut offs when things go wrong. They where designed in someones basement, not by electrical engineers with safety first in mind.

Of course people want to get the cheapest mod they can find so this is what we get. I do agree that stacked batteries just multiplies the danger.

Edit: Things can still go very wrong when using single batteries, just that the chances are greater when stacking. If anyone is really interested listen to the first part of this as it goes into battery safety

http://soundcloud.com/vp-live/everything-just-exploded

13. MsOceanCity

MsOceanCity Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is horrible! Horrible for Tom and his family and horrible for the e-cig industry. The media is going to be all over this story:( I wish there was some way get all vapers to become ECF members and educate themselves before, during and after the purchase of any type of PV. Or, at least, add a set of warnings(along with the instructions) with each PV kit. I sure hope the facts of this case come out soon! Prayers to Tom's family!

14. tommy2bad

tommy2bad Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2011
    Kilkenny
    Yeah sometimes shortcuts lead to disaster. Any mod can fail but if designed to fail it has a better chance of not becoming spectacular. Also batteries don't last forever, overcharging, overloading and banging around ( bet you toss em into a box when charged or drained like I do? ) all contribute to damage.
    Lets face it few batteries are designed to run at the loads we put them under, what saves us is we do it in short bursts not long runs.
    Hope this guy recovers and hasn't had too much damage though loosing teeth and some tung burns are bad enough it could have been worse, that attie could have gone off like a missile. And all for the sake of a simple spring that would colapse if stressed enough by the wrong current running through it.

15. MattZuke

MattZuke Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    A, A
    I haven't, but I'm not paying attention. I'd be more worried about a SonicCare than an electric razor.

16. SonnyCrack

SonnyCrack Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
  17. Calypso53

Calypso53 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    NJ
    Where are these "stickies" about battery safety??

18. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  19. spaceballsrules

spaceballsrules Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    Cary, NC
  20. slr817

slr817 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Nacogdoches, Texas
    It is scary...I was occasionally using stacked protected batteries in my Vmod xl but I think I'll leave them in the drawer and stick with my single 18,650 battery for now...poor guy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.