Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
We received this from a neighbor of the injured party, and feel it is worth publishing.

I am not a registered member of your forum but would like to clarify information regarding the thread about the NW Florida man who was injured by an exploding e-cigarette.

First of all, Tom lives across the street from us in Bluewater Bay, a community outside the city limits of Niceville, FL. His accident happened on Monday evening around 6:30. He is not the individual who evidently had an accident around a month ago. These are two different incidents.

Tom has lung cancer and was using the e-cigarette as a substitute for tobacco cigarettes. The explosion did blow out his teeth and part of his tongue, and he has other injuries to his mouth and face as well.

The fire department was at his home for hours after the ambulance left, and we assume it was to make sure none of the exploding parts were smoldering somewhere, only to erupt into a fire later.

I know nothing about how he used the cigarettes or the brand/s. The only thing I would like clarified for your members is the fact that Tom's accident did happen on Monday, February 13, and that the facts in the original story reported by WEAR-TV (Pensacola) are correct as far as we know at this time. WEAR obtained his photos from a family member and to my knowledge, has not interviewed Tom or Becky.

Given the speculation on the thread about whether or not the facts are accurate and actually only one story, as well as the speculation the story has been embellished, I think it is important for your members to know the facts.

Thank you.

M. Horton

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It seemed fairly obvious that the injured person was most likely:

- Using a mod
- Using a metal tube mod with no prevalent safety features
- Using two batteries in series

...and most likely as well:
- Using two RC123-size cells

This is simply because:

- The guy was a 2-year vaper, and less than 1% of those would be using a mini
- Minis don't blow or cause injury: the Chinese are not stupid, all minis have a blowout plug at the bottom

Then we read that:
MaxxVapor -- I just spoke to the Chief at North Bay Fire District in Niceville. The incident happened 2/13/12. The battery that failed was unrecognizable but they found several 3.0v (Cr123a) lithium ion batteries and a recharger so it strongly appears the man was using a mod.

So now we know he was using a mod. The questions then are:

- Which mod?
- What batteries?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread