Nicotina rustica

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Just a heads up, I believe that the concentration of psychoactive harmala alkaloids in N. rustica are considered substantially higher than for smoking tobacco and is one of the reasons that native "Indian Tobacco" - or wild tobacco - which is what native american indians smoked in their "peace pipes" is regarded as having a much different user experience than regular tobacco. Used under the guidance of a medicine man and for ritual purposes it is thought that the harmala alkaloids, in addition to the much higher nicotine content, is the reason this experience was regarded as being capable of producing visionary trances.

The two commercially important species are Nicotiana tabacum, cultivated in warm areas for smoking tobacco, and N. rustica, cultivated mainly for insecticidal use.

The alkaloids responsible for the pharmacological actions of much of the genus are well known: nicotine, nornicotine and anabasine are the major alkaloids of the genus, the proportion of each in the total alkaloidal extract depending on the species under investigation; strains of the two commercial species likewise show chemical variation. They are accompanied by some eight other pyridine alkaloids in minor amounts; several other common types of plant constituents have been identified in the genus which are listed in the extensive general references (e.g., Hegnauer).

(from wikipedia) "The harmine-containing plants listed include tobacco, two species of passion flower/passion fruit, and numerous others."

from
The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Substances
by Richard Rudgley
Little, Brown and Company (1998)

"Tobacco contains the harmala alkaloids harman and norharman, and the closely related harmine and harmaline are known hallucinogens. The levels of harman and horharman in cigarette smoke are between forty and 100 times greater than in tobacco leaf, showing that the burning of the plant generates this dramatic increase."

Rustica Harvest: Be Wary
Tobacco (N. rustica)
by Jason

BODY WEIGHT: 160 lb

Oil of Approximately 30 leaves, absorbed through skin

I have grown rustica tobacco for experimental puposes as well I sell medicinal herbs on my small country farm. My first harvesting experience was a little surprising. Some apothicarians wait until the whole plant has begun to turn yellow on the stem and then harvest the arial parts while my instinct told me to harvest the upper parts (leaves, stem, blooming flowers) as they were in full bloom. As with all herbs, I waited until the sun hit the plant for a few hours to dry off the dew and encourage oily resins to rise to the leaves. Upon harvesting I noticed that the resin was coming off on my bare fingers. After a few minutes (say 10 to 20) I began to feel a little light headed, and entered a zone or level of conciousness that seemed distanced from my suroundings. The world took on a two-dimensionality like a sharp image placed in front of my face. I experienced photo-sensitivity and could not look at bright things. Being familiar with many different states of conciousness from various herbs over the previous 2 years helped me recognize the signs of the change caused by the herb.

Instantly, I decided to wash off the oils on my hands knowing that over dosage can cause vommiting and halucinations. As I tried to make my way back to my house (70' away) I noticed my legs were feeling rubbery and I felt like I was starving (lacking energy, shaking hands, etc). Then my steps felt like I was walking on clouds or flying (that may be misleading). I made my way inside, washed my hands with soap and water very well, grabbed some fruit and juice and desperately tried to restore my energy and physical strength.

I sat in a chair for maybe half an hour and felt physically terrible yet pleasantly detached. Then my stomach violently began tightening and I willed myself to the toilet where I purged via diarhea what my poor body was unexpectedly introduced with. A bit of sleep and a little food later I was mostly back to normal that evening. I have also heard of people mistaking rustica for lettuce in the garden and serving it to guests in a salad. They had similar reactions as I have described.

The lesson to be learned here is wear impermeable gloves if harvesting rustica and be mindful of dosages when taking internally. I smoke small amounts as a ritual (1cm x 1cm of leaf). Understand that the powers of herbs are strong and need not be de-centering to be effective or enlightening. Shamans of the America's have long used rustica as a divinitory and healing ally. As for my case, I unwittingly had a clear introduction to rustica and its ability.

Exp Year: 1998 ID: 2276
Added: Apr 10, 2001

[/FONT]

Timothy Cullen

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
Hanson, Kentucky, United States
2cb i have read a little bit of litarture on rustica. if i rember correctly many find the smoke to harsh to smoke directly. as far as taste what is the difference i know curing helps alot but when using it for alkaloid extraction and flavor extraction into vg or pg what would you compare the base flavor to?

I can't find the link now, but there is some place that sells an absolute of n. rustica. I'm sure I can dig it out if anyone is interested. When I did look though I noticed that one distributor which has it is available to The Perfumer's Apprentice. I have to contact PA about some other stuff anyhow, so I will ask what type of TA it is that they sell. My guess is that it is a tabacum though.

I was going to point you guys to the β-Carboline thread thread, but I see 2cb already found it. I kind of just skimmed the recent posts there but I think what you are looking for, 2cb, is simply one of the ingredients missing from the typical alkaloid profile of tobacco when we are vaping; yet, there is no reason that we should have to use those particular alkaloids, other than as some sort of exercise in duplicating nature.

I'm interested in a route more like your suggestion there, and less like WTA extraction. Part of what we need is an understanding of the activity of the substances in the WTA profile, and then to be able to mimic it with WTA ingredients or suitable substitutes. That makes it sound simple, but it is only a slightly better starting point than where you have to guess at what sort of tobacco was used in extraction and what method other people used. There's all sorts of other factors like the type of PV used and each individual's smoking habits. I was intending to buy passionflower leaf extract and some sort of harmaline soon, so I will report on the results then.

It seems to me like people are overlooking something simple when they are thinking to add something to the standard ejuice too, thinking more about the WTA extract and not enough about the original product and how nic needs to be treated. X mg nic != X mg nic under certain conditions. Harmaline might play a role in the potentiation of nicotine, I'm not sure. I think it was mentioned that things like acetaldehyde do, and I don't think that we want to add that. I do know of a mechanism completely outside of the alkaloid profile that potentiates nicotine in a certain way though. The satiation effect may come mainly from one particular alkaloid that is commercially available by itself. Anyhow, I am not going to get into all that now and I am far from an expert, so I could be flat wrong.

I was thinking to add more varieties of mint (Mediterranean, pineapple and such) to my garden this year. Now this got me thinking tobacco too a little more. I don't think I will have the time until maybe next year, but I wanted to distill my own mint flavorings. Just yesterday, I finally got started playing around with all of the FA tobacco flavors and realized that I really don't know tobacco at all. I smoked menthols or stuff like Camels and Marlboros, then only went to American Spirit for a short time before I started vaping.

Still, none of those have the type of characteristic flavor that something like Desert Ship does. What I am seeing about n. rustica is that besides being powerful that it adds a sweetness to tobacco blends. I'm going to look around locally, but what do you think about this place for seeds, or do you have any other suggestions for growing?

Mohawk Tobacco Seed from Victory Seeds®

This one says that it was grown by Eastern tribes, so it ought to work around my part of the US. Is there a particular cultivar you use? I would have never thought one would need to be so careful harvesting tobacco as in the story above.

kenetix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2009
Illinois
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I willed myself to the toilet where I purged via diarhea what my poor body was unexpectedly introduced with
[/FONT]

Old post but I couldn't stop laughing at this like a little kid. I used to grow tobacco at home myself for an expirement for cheaper cigarettes. I never experienced this personally but laughed out loud in my quiet house.

elbertdee

Resting In Peace
Apr 29, 2012
California
Looks like interest was lost in this thread, but Ill post my 2 cents

I have grown nictina rustica off and on for over 10 years.
Depending on where it is grow and where the seeds come from and how it is cured make a world of difference.

Seed from North Carolina produce very strong tobacco regardless of curing. The Hopi variety is milder and I have taken leaves straight of the plant. Let them dry a few days and smoke it. It is a nice mild smoke.

As I grew in the same area for a number of years I noticed my tobacco got milder with each generation.

As for Native Americans and their sacred pipes/peace pipes by some
Depending on the nation depends on what they used to pray with.
Many plains tribes use red willow bark and will never put tobacco in that Sacred Chanupa

Some do. In all the traditions I am familiar with normally the smoke is not inhaled only drawn into the mouth and then blown out.

There are exceptions to that depending on the purpose and use of the tobacco medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread