Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I guess I'll have to wait for Summer time, as it's been either raining or snowing for several weeks now up here.
@52anddone, from the way I read Kurt's comments, you can still age... it will just take longer.:)

As I recall some of Kurt's other comments; rate (and how much) of oxidation is effected by oxygen (air) exposure, heat exposure, and UV exposure. I would think increasing any (or in combination) of these should(?) accelerate the oxidation process. Just get creative if the sun isn't cooperating.:D

Got a tanning bed? I'll bet a short time in one of those (especially in an open-topped beaker, sitting on a heated magnetic stir plate;)) ought to have stupendous results!:D:lol::lol::lol::D

I'm kidding; but there should(?) to be lots of less extreme ways to accelerate oxidation, if Kurt's method is too slow. I would guess even regular warm-water baths, combined with repeated aggressive frothing in an open container, would offer some rapid oxidation. All you are missing is the UV for the complete trifecta. Cheap crappy fluorescent lights used to be known for having fairly high UV output. Maybe that could speed thing up a bit as well. Also, plastic is more air permeable, as well as UV permeable; so I would consider using LDPE bottles for any experiments.:)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Thanks Joel. I think I'll get started right now. I do have a clear Mason jar, and a small battery operated hand mixer I use for mixing my juice that I could use also, it came with a wisk, a circular wire aerator and a 3 bladed propeller doohickey. If I read you right, I would just fill that mason jar half full then go at it with my hand mixer and attachment every 5-7 days or so. Correct ?? Thanks Joel, slm, Dubminer and the rest of ya'll for the tips :thumbs:. I know I read all these techniques earlier in the thread, but that was a long time ago, and my memory has proven to be a bit too short. Thank you all.

I have kept all my ECX Nic in dark brown glass bottles tightly caped since 2015 in my basement pantry which is very cool, even in the summer.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I know I read all these techniques earlier in the thread, but that was a long time ago, and my memory has proven to be a bit too short.
All too familiar with that symptom! :facepalm::D
If I read you right, I would just fill that mason jar half full then go at it with my hand mixer and attachment every 5-7 days or so.
I might suggest keeping the test samples small (to begin with); until you have a working method, and know you are going to enjoy the results. I'd hate to think I encouraged you to wreck a substantial investment.:(

The hand mixer sounds good. You could probably get the same/similar results just hand shaking it, but I am notoriously lazy, and always looking to make life a little easier. :laugh:

As for how often; I am really not sure. Common sense tells me, the more often you stir it, the faster it should(?) oxidize (I keep thinking about Kurt's description of VT's methods of O2 bubbling, or paddle stirring, to encourage oxidation) . So I guess it is mostly a matter of how fast you want it to oxidize. I'm sorry, I wish I had a more concrete answer for you. But, I am a TH wuss, so I have never experimented myself. My thoughts are strictly hypothetical.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Thanks Guys. I think I came up with a solution. I took about 45ml and poured it into a Clear glass pint mason jar, took a paper towel to use as a lid, and took off the top layer (it was a 2-ply sheet) so as to keep it covered but protected from any debris falling into the liquid, but also let in as much air as possible. I took my hand mixer and frothed it up real good (till it turned white from all the bubbles), then used the outside screw portion of the mason jar cap with that paper towel for the center and screwed it onto the jar and set it below my window on top of my desk where the heat of my big 20" IBM CRT monitor sitting next to it might also influence the mix, at least some. I'll give it a good mix each day and see what transpires.

Last edited:

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Speaking of smooth, has anyone tried the Amerinic yet? They don't advertise the use of CO2 supercritical extraction like Carolina Extracts but it is sourced and made in the States and I'm interested in trying it.

Some of the reviews on the net suggest Amerinic is slightly yellow with a strong throat hit. But, it is only early days yet, some of their processes may change if this is the case.

Carolina extract is likely to have more of the minor alkaloids present due to the extraction process they use from my research (which isn't that good lol). Interestingly though, they have never produced a GC/MS cert and will also not answer my emails on the subject.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks Guys. I think I came up with a solution. I took about 45ml and poured it into a Clear glass pint mason jar, took a paper towel to use as a lid, and took off the top layer (it was a 2-ply sheet) so as to keep it covered but protected from any debris falling into the liquid, but also let in as much air as possible. I took my hand mixer and frothed it up real good (till it turned white from all the bubbles), then used the outside screw portion of the mason jar cap with that paper towel for the center and screwed it onto the jar and set it below my window on top of my desk where the heat of my big 20" IBM CRT monitor sitting next to it might also influence the mix, at least some. I'll give it a good mix each day and see what transpires.
Sounds like a solid plan. I only might suggest sampling along the progression... to see how it develops. Also, as an air permeable filter, I might suggest a coffee filter (maybe a little tighter; less prone to lint/debris(?)). Otherwise... sounds good.:)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Carolina extract is likely to have more of the minor alkaloids present due to the extraction process they use from my research (which isn't that good lol). Interestingly though, they have never produced a GC/MS cert and will also not answer my emails on the subject.

I'm surprised that Companies don't realize that when they conduct themselves like this, that the first thing that pops into potential customers minds is "What are they trying to hide", that's what I wonder at least.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sounds like a solid plan. I only might suggest sampling along the progression... to see how it develops. Also, as an air permeable filter, I might suggest a coffee filter (maybe a little tighter; less prone to lint/debris(?)). Otherwise... sounds good.:)

I didn't think of that Joel, Thanks. I just converted from my paper towel to a coffee filter (I have about 250 of them sitting up in my cupboard, and it never crossed my mind to use one :facepalm:). Some dayz I really wonder about myself.:blink: I do plan to test it every 7 days or so, but not sure if I should wait for a color change first before I do that (ECX Nic starts out a Slight Amber color to begin with).

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Some of the reviews on the net suggest Amerinic is slightly yellow with a strong throat hit. But, it is only early days yet, some of their processes may change if this is the case.

I just found this referring to AmeriNic, thought you might be interested in reading; (I found the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs to be interesting)

DashVapes is transitioning to AmeriNic Liquid Nicotine! • r/Canadian_ecigarette

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Some dayz I really wonder about myself.:blink:
Don't I know it. When Dad retired, he was fond of saying "it's hell getting old!," and I thought he was just being melodramatic. Now that I am closer to that age; I am beginning to realize he wasn't. Even from the grave he is managing to say "I told you so!":-x:D
I do plan to test it every 7 days or so, but not sure if I should wait for a color change first before I do that (ECX Nic starts out a Slight Amber color to begin with).
I don't know that I have heard any opinions on if/how closely color change, and flavor change, correlate. If it were my experiment, I would probably be inclined to tasted weekly, whether there was significant color change or not.

But that tends to be my DIY SOP anyway. I tend to taste test new ingredients, and new (to me) recipes, at regular intervals; even when I am fully expecting them to still be immature. I know it is my obsessive compulsive nature; but I like to understand how my mixes develop.:blush:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I don't know that I have heard any opinions on if/how closely color change, and flavor change, correlate. If it were my experiment, I would probably be inclined to tasted weekly, whether there was significant color change or not.

Very interesting Joel. I have really never taste tested as such, just mixed up a few ml's and vaped it, but I can try your method. (I don't trust my taste buds that much after 52 years of Tobacco ya know)

Reactions: stols001

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Don't I know it. When Dad retired, he was fond of saying "it's hell getting old!," and I thought he was just being melodramatic. Now that I am closer to that age; I am beginning to realize he wasn't. Even from the grave he is managing to say "I told you so!":-x:D

YES !!!

I agree. There are always those that are genetically Blessed, sorry to say I'm not one.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Very interesting Joel. I have really never taste tested as such, just mixed up a few ml's and vaped it, but I can try your method. (I don't trust my taste buds that much after 52 years of Tobacco ya know)
Just for clarification; by taste testing, I mean I draw off a mL or 2 of the aging liquid and vape it. I have never been able to get any useful feedback by actually tasting the liquid itself (placing the liquid directly on my tongue).:)

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I'm surprised that Companies don't realize that when they conduct themselves like this, that the first thing that pops into potential customers minds is "What are they trying to hide", that's what I wonder at least.
Absolutely! I don't want sucralose in my juices, so I've emailed many vendors whose liquids I vape or want to try. Quite interesting how many blow me off, though not all.
I won't buy from those who do blow me off.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Just for clarification; by taste testing, I mean I draw off a mL or 2 of the aging liquid and vape it. I have never been able to get any useful feedback by actually tasting the liquid itself (placing the liquid directly on my tongue).:)

Looks like I mis-understood, again. I thought you were talking about the tongue tasting method, like so many I have seen posting about juices and Nic's :blush: . Now, I think we are on the same page. I hope, I hope. :blink: I must be having a bad day here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread