Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Looks like I mis-understood, again. I thought you were talking about the tongue tasting method, like so many I have seen posting about juices and Nic's :blush: . Now, I think we are on the same page. I hope, I hope. :blink: I must be having a bad day here.
My fault; not yours.:facepalm::D Placing undiluted nicotine concentrate on your tongue would just be reckless; and I apologize to you, and everyone else, that thought that was what I was suggesting.:blush::( To see what TH and flavor might be developing; taking a small sample, diluting it to your normal vaping strength, and then vaping it, is the only way I can see to know if/when it is going to be best for you.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
This might help you out,

My favorite recipe is; (This will clean out any and all Sinus and stuffy Nose problems, also good for Vaper's Fatigue)

My Menthol/Mint Mix:
10mg/ml ECX Nic (stronger if you like, or you can use any Nic either)

1.5% Crushed Menthol Crystals (66% Crushed Menthol Crystals in 34% PG (I mix up about a 30ml bottle of this and use as my Menthol rather than store bought. It will last me for over a year) and I use 1.5% in this recipe)

1% INW Mint (to eliminate that metallic/gritty taste I get from strong Menthol. It smooths out the edges)

1.75% Fa Flash (for added TH) you can leave this out if you want

My daughter can't vape this mix as she says it is way too strong for her (she was also a smoker, like me).
I bought menthol concentrate from TFA, I believe, but I have a pound of menthol crystals on order, should last nearly forever. I do use a TON of menthol. Right now the menthol is really the flavor. Just 70/30, with nic, and menthol to taste. Going back to doctor again, maybe get scrip change, or referral to ENT, gotta lose the sinus infection before I can taste anything!

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I hear that porcupine. I lived in Arizona for 50 years without any problem at all, then moved up here and almost instantly got Allergies and Sinus problems. No fun at all !!!

Tip about those Menthol Crystals (if you don't already know that is). I use my wife's rolling pin to crush the menthol crystals into almost a powder inside a zip-lock baggie before I measure out what I need for a 30-45ml mix, pour that into a 60-100ml glass bottle via funnel, then add my PG (66% crushed Menthol Crystals/34% PG by weight), close the cap tightly on the bottle then shake real good, then sit it in a cup of Hot tap water a couple of times to hasten the process. They dissolve quicker that way. I only use about 1.5% (1.35ml's) to make my 90ml batch of Menthol/Mint mix, so that 45-60ml's of Menthol Crystal mix will last me over a year before I have to crush more crystal's. I just added this here for those that are just coming in and might be interested in how to make their own Menthol from scratch. -- Now Back to our regularly Scheduled Programing --.

Last edited:

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I hear that porcupine. I lived in Arizona for 50 years without any problem at all, then moved up here and almost instantly got Allergies and Sinus problems. No fun at all !!!

Tip about those Menthol Crystals (if you don't already know that is). I use my wife's rolling pin to crush the menthol crystals into almost a powder inside a zip-lock baggie before I measure out what I need for a 30-45ml mix, pour that into a 60-100ml glass bottle via funnel, then add my PG (66% crushed Menthol Crystals/34% PG by weight), close the cap tightly on the bottle then shake real good, then sit it in a cup of Hot tap water a couple of times to hasten the process. They dissolve quicker that way. I only use about 1.5% (1.35ml's) to make my 90ml batch of Menthol/Mint mix, so that 45-60ml's of Menthol Crystal mix will last me over a year before I have to crush more.
Yeah I'm probably good for a while, then! :D

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
My fault; not yours.:facepalm::D Placing undiluted nicotine concentrate on your tongue would just be reckless; and I apologize to you, and everyone else, that thought that was what I was suggesting.:blush::( To see what TH and flavor might be developing; taking a small sample, diluting it to your normal vaping strength, and then vaping it, is the only way I can see to know if/when it is going to be best for you.

No need to apologize, your Good Joel, I did ask innocently because I have seen several postings from different people that were telling others to do just that over the 3+ years I have been on this forum (though not this thread), it seems that that's how some taste test a new flavor also (to put a drop or two on one's hand and lick it off). I didn't think you were proposing that that was what you wanted me to do, just checking to be sure of what you were talking about and that I wasn't misunderstanding.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I think nicselect is a very clean nic with regards to off-taste. However, it is pretty brutal at it's TH though. It used to have a very slight off-taste tasting like glue or alike, but that is void in newer times, and the last several batches i've gotten has been pretty much clean in taste(at lower mg, above ,all nics i've tried have pepper taste) like my favorite UK premium nic nicobrand. When comparing e.g. with chemnovatic, then that nic imho def. is more off-tasting, and I cannot for the life of me decide if it is bad quality tobacco taste, or something chemical(dark, fermented, "bad nuts" - not the good nutty type taste, possibly shoepolish, lol), but after vaping it exclusively you get numb to it, and only get it again after a break and/or switching between nics. It has lesser TH though, so can go higher MG if wanted. Both taste like pepper at mid/higher strength, as all nics i've tried.

Normally I would think that the higher purity a nic has(pure nic), then higher TH, so the purer the pure-nic is, which is made to make the nicbase we buy(e.g. 100mg), then the more TH, but that is probably wrong, though chemnovatic lists 99.9% pure and up, as there COAs dictate, but Nicselect practically always lists as 100%+(the scale goes to 101% because of semantics - USP nic just means at or above 99.0% to 101.0%). It(TH) could also be because it's less pure, and the impurity's make the extra TH, but in the case of nicselect, there's practically no impurities if you check the COAs, and I doubt anyone can make cleaner nic than that - better tasting maybe, but not purer - nicselect started it's brand by adding extra purification-steps onto the already purified nic, to make it "vaping-grade" - proved by perfect COAs continually. I'm maybe wrong, but if the nic could be made purer than before, and nic gives TH, then wouldn't a more pure version of said nic give improved TH? I mean, when we vape e.g. 6mg, then according to USP spec, we vape either 6mg of 99.0% nic and up to 6mg of 100.0% nic(the scale goes to 101% as said, but that is including water or something of that sort, can't remember Kurt's explanation precisely at the top of my head)

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Also, as I said, all nics i've tried taste like pepper at mid/higher strength. It can of course be speculated that it was all bad nic, but my own theory is that this is normal because nicotine is an irritant to mucous membrane, just like various spicies like chilli etc, so no matter if zero impurities or oxidation, then that irritant sensation unlocks the same sensation/taste as e.g. chili-peppers. It's still nicotine afterall, not some new chemical just because it is more pure ;)

Of course bad nic can still exaggerate this, with impurities likewise, or worse, irritants to mucous membranes. I had a chinese nic once that tasted extremely like black pepper at low strength, now that is clearly impurities making this sensation.

I could be wrong of course, and is just speculating :)

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Hey mhertz, how ya doin ?? Long time, no see post.
Lol, yeah I know, I often switch a little around on the things that interest me, and DIY/RBA/Mods has taken a back seat for me for some time(though still vaped like crazy and DIY'd of course), and i've been on some other forums mostly linux related, and read alot up on likewise stuff, but am back in the swing now again, and have been rebuilding all attys like crazy for the last weeks(old-school round-wire still though) and ordered some more mods and RTAs and such. Thanks for the "hello" mate, appreciate that! :)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
What you say about TH and purity is very intriguing mhertz. I have always thought the opposite, that the more impurities then the more TH and thought that my ECX was just a dirtier Nic than most others, hence it has more TH than most. I could be wrong, and prolly am for that matter.

Good to see you back.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Thanks, and indeed I could be wrong too, so please don't take too much "fact" into my theoretical "ramblings", lol! :) Sure, impurities can also give enhanced TH i'm sure, but I just mean that atleast ECX i.e. nicselect is not a dirty nic atleast when talking it's purity - as I said, they added multiple extra purification steps to there process(they've been making nic for some 80 years e.g. pharma stuff) - and there COAs often list purity of 100.1% - 100.4% and impurities under detection limit of under 0.05%. No other COA produced by other vendors have that beaten as far as i've seen. Well, they generally almost always "just" list 99.9% or above, but nonetheless. Kurt stated he tested it to be crazy-clean himself, though that was the first batches and people have had often bad batches before, though I think they have reduced that in newer times, atleast my 15'ish orders from various vendors. To be honest, I don't now, just bringing an extra aspect into the equation, erroneous or not ;)

Thanks mate :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've bought and used the "regular" grade 100mg/mL nic base from all of the following in the past:

Wizard Labs
Nude Nicotine
RTS Vapes (now Nicotine Giant)
Heartland Vapes
Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers
My Freedom Smokes

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again from all of the first 5. In fact, for the same quality to me, but for less money...I bought the most liters for my "stash" from RTS Vapes and Heartland Vapes.

I'd never buy any more from the last place. It was too peppery for my liking, and they shorted me 180mLs of a liter. I tried about 10mL of it in some eliquids I made, and gave away and/or sold the rest locally, to others who wanted a pepperiness in their nic base.

My nic from MFS a year and a half ago was fine. It was clear with no objectionable TH until recently when it began to turn brown.

I'm waiting for nic I ordered from ECX based on that site's reviews. Now that I've read some of the reviews of ECX nic here I'm wondering who's right. Some say it's clean and others talk about objectionable TH. If I had it to do over I'd buy from a closer vendor. It's being shipped from Washington state to GA. I couldn't find a state location on ECX's web site before I ordered.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks, and indeed I could be wrong too, so please don't take too much "fact" into my theoretical "ramblings", lol! :) Sure, impurities can also give enhanced TH i'm sure, but I just mean that atleast ECX i.e. nicselect is not a dirty nic atleast when talking it's purity - as I said, they added multiple extra purification steps to there process(they've been making nic for some 80 years e.g. pharma stuff) - and there COAs often list purity of 100.1% - 100.4% and impurities under detection limit of under 0.05%. No other COA produced by other vendors have that beaten as far as i've seen. Well, they generally almost always "just" list 99.9% or above, but nonetheless. Kurt stated he tested it to be crazy-clean himself, though that was the first batches and people have had often bad batches before, though I think they have reduced that in newer times, atleast my 15'ish orders from various vendors. To be honest, I don't now, just bringing an extra aspect into the equation, erroneous or not ;)

Thanks mate :)

I hope my nic from ECX is as you described. It's supposed to be here on Monday. I like clean, clear, and low TH. I can get all the throat hit I want from tobacco flavorings.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If memory serves me well, My Freedom Smokes had very peppery nicotine. I don't know if they still do.

My MFS nic from a year and a half ago wasn't high in TH and had no objectionable peppery notes at first, but now it does (not frozen, but kept in a cool dark place). I'm replacing it with ECX nic based on the site reviews and hoping that the ECF reviews about peppery taste and high throat hit are anomalies. I will be freezing it in week one.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
My MFS nic from a year and a half ago wasn't high in TH and had no objectionable peppery notes at first, but now it does (not frozen, but kept in a cool dark place). I'm replacing it with ECX nic based on the site reviews and hoping that the ECF reviews about peppery taste and high throat hit are anomalies. I will be freezing it in week one.

My 'peppery' MFS nic was from several years ago. I didn't think I'd ever get through that 500ml bottle!

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
It just shows the various differences between some nicotine sellers. My MFS from 18 months ago is perfectly clean no pepper taste or harshness,that is vaping unflavored at between 20mg and 30 mg 50vg/50pg. My ECX i got two years ago was nearly unvapeable at 12 mg 50vg/50pg unflavored and that was from the day it arrived. So peppery it was untrue. Maybe i just got lucky with the MFS and unlucky with the ECX.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My 'peppery' MFS nic was from several years ago. I didn't think I'd ever get through that 500ml bottle!

My liters were ordered in Spring of 2016. It was water clear with a clean flavor and negligible TH. I guess there can be variances over time in any brand. Shelf time probably plays into color and TH. Overstocking by a vendor might cause aging in inventory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread