Nicotine Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
The RTS nic remained in its plastic bottle, in my dark closet, in an air conditioned room that remains cool anyway, right next to the VZ nic in its plastic bottle and glass bottle of MFS.

(I know, not the best technique, but I'm running out of glassware AND freezer space. And many of you fine folks have hipped me to specialty bottle...not the point of this post)

I opened the bottles; no change in MFS, the VZ is utterly clear and odorless

And the RTS smells. I mean smells. MFS has a strong odor, there's no question about it. But this is just as strong, and not as pleasant. The color hasn't changed much since I got it, but ...it smells.

I mixed up a batch of my new pipe extract at 30% flavor, and 18 mg nic.

It stinks. Bad. Everytime I open the bottle to drip, every time I put my nose near the drip tip...it stinks.

The pipe extract I made is really strong, very aromatic, and I can't even smell it under that haze. Luckily it vapes just fine, albeit with subdued throat hit, so I'll get my moneys worth. I can still smell it if I stick my nose in the vape cloud, but that is nothing new as noted in the OP.

But in all honesty, I'm avoiding inhaling anytime I get near the 'naked' juice.

EDIT: Actually, I lie. It tastes like it smells, and its ruining my juice. Down the drain this is about to go.

Hmmmm.... you might want to try the RTS PG based nic and see if that makes any difference re PG vs VG based nic. Shouldn't cost much and should be an easy test.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
1) I don't share your premise that VG based nic is inferior or problematic *at all.* Not sharing your premise, we come to entirely different conclusions as to what can and cannot be done.

regards,

Cyrus

And with that I don't share YOUR premise that this review was completely scientific and unbiased.

Really strange that the RTS nic you got was tinted yellow while what I got (PG based), and what many veteran vapers have reported, was totally clear.

Since you say it can't possibly be the VG base instead of the PG base, maybe it is just a matter of some people really wanting to vape their Chinese nic.

With that, I won't be posting to this thread again (and I am sure some will be happy for that).

To each their own.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
And with that I don't share YOUR premise that this review was completely scientific and unbiased.

Strange I don't recall ever making such a claim

Really strange that the RTS nic you got was tinted yellow while what I got (PG based), and what many veteran vapers have reported, was totally clear.

Again with the color. Not the point. Never my point. I don't care for the lack of throat hit. And now the taste is awful. Never happened to any nic or juice I've owned.

Appealing to authority again? So having veteran status makes someone's visual cortex better than mine? Again, color, not the point.

Since you say it can't possibly be the VG base instead of the PG base, maybe it is just a matter of some people really wanting to vape their Chinese nic.

Never commented on the possibility of the VG base being the issue, said I don't believe it. Never had such issues with VG nic and VG juice before, and neither have some of "the vets."

Besides your lack of reading comprehension skills, you seem to have difficulty with the basic syllogism.

Premise 1: Zaratoughda is right about VG

Premise 2: Cyrus doesn't agree with me

Conclusion:
"You must really want to vape your chinese nic."

The argument is unsound and invalid, and pathetic attempt to sling ad hominem feces at people who simply put...disagree with you.

I recommend Aristotle's Prior and Posterior Analytics as a start, let me know if I can help you with this.

Can't help but feel that you use the word "Chinese" in that sentence as a pejorative. Are you racist?

I truly hope you're trolling, because if you're not, how very embarrassing for you.

You come into this thread with a 'tone' heralded by the "how the HELL can you" and impute words and positions to me that I do not utter or hold. I welcome, and love disagreement, it fosters growth for everyone. There's a friendly and adult way to do it.

With that, I won't be posting to this thread again (and I am sure some will be happy for that).

It's my opinion that you are correct. I wish you the best my friend, please stay cig free :)

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I'm planning on doing another comparison with all the players on the field this time, mixed to the same specs as the OP, with xtreme vaping present. Have to procure more ECX to make this happen though.

I've been vaping xtreme and MFS unflavored for the past few days (not exclusively).

Did I mention the xtreme vaping nic is unbelievable?

I'm also starting to appreciate the MFS again. TH is second to none. It's strange but the peppery bite/taste, basic aroma etc are not at all bothersome when vaping unflavored, they're actually kind of nice, though they do seem to 'amplify' when mixed with flavor. Perhaps they just put up more "interference" (sometimes I like this, sometimes I don't) when in a mix than any of the other nics here.

What I can say for sure is, if you feel like having a cigarette, the cure is MFS unflavored lol.

Reactions: 52anddone

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Yes wrt to MFS. When its on point ,its on point.

I really wonder if different nics have different propensities to age badly, yet another reason to freeze the crap out of everything ASAP (thank you mwa!)

Maybe my 'bad' MFS batches just aged poorly, hit a funny spot with the conditions in my closet, climate. I dunno. Who knows.

All I know is, my next move is to get a pile of new glass bottles, so that when I've made my decisions and buy a Liter of my favorite, I freeze right away :)

And I agree about RTS supplying other vendors. Though I'm pretty confident that they don't supply any of the other vendors I've tried in this thread. I know they used to supply high desert e cigs, but I hear now they get their nic from wizard labs

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
And I agree about RTS supplying other vendors. Though I'm pretty confident that they don't supply any of the other vendors I've tried in this thread. I know they used to supply high desert e cigs, but I hear now they get their nic from wizard labs

High Desert sells both Wizard Labs as well as an unidentified USA nic which was previously labeled RTS.

I'm surprised at the rapid expansion of their lineup. I haven't ordered from there as yet, but they've got a few interesting items now.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
All this testing and opinions from nic users should help to keep our vendors on their toes. Yellowing, smell, and taste are the parameters that are the easiest for the home mixologist to compare. Contaminants, oxidation, purity are not something that can be accurately be determined at home. Here are some of the questions that I have:

1) does most of the nic showing up come from 2 Chinese, 1 European, and 1 American extraction facility?
2) does the color, smell, taste vary from batch-to-batch from the same source?
3) are DIYers concerned with nic batch date (extraction) and mix date (dilution)?
4) could batch to batch variations be one of the reasons for variability in comparisons?

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
I hesitated posting in this thread, but since it has diverged to more of a comparison that a review of RTS I figured I'd jump in.

I'll start be saying I haven't, to my knowledge, tried RTS nic juice so nothing I would say about it would be valid.

I try and
read between the lines
when a vendor posts on a forum, or makes claims on their website and try and determine what was really said.

Batch to batch variations, to me, are an indication the extraction process is not 'mature'. I'm not talking about 99.2% one batch and 99.8% the next, but variations that the DIYer can detect.

Smell, for one. Vapors coming off a bottle of nicotine are due to the vapor pressures of the ingredients and are extremely temperature dependent. Almost non-existent straight from the freezer.

Color, from small quantities of oxidized nicotine in the mix, can not only be an indication of age, but of exposure during processing. 100mg/ml base has gone though a lot of handling by the time you get it. How long were the ingredients exposed to air during processing?

As far as Throat Hit (a really subjective parameter) what is the water content of the PG and VG in the nic base?
The PG and VG might have started out anhydrous, but how much moisture did they absorb during processing?
I find density variations between VG from several sources even in my 'kitchen lab'. The most likely cause being a few percent of absorbed water. How does that affect Throat Hit?

Reviews and comparisons are beneficial to us DIYers. Keep it up guys. The vendors are watching, and that is good for our safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread