Nicotine test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit96

Feb 25, 2014
MI
Have to take a nicotine test, urine or oral in 4 days. I vape 3mg liquid at 40 watts through my ipv D3 and go through about 15 ml per day. Anyone here have experience on passing a nicotine test?? I know stopping for a few days, or vaping zero mg for a few days, drinking a lot of water is a good start. Any other tried and true suggestions? Thanks!

Exit96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenericPCusername

Oct 6, 2015
NEPA
Drinking a lot of water and vaping 0mg is definitely a good idea. You might want to try drinking natural cranberry juice or tea containing ginger as they will make you pass more urine. I've never had to take a nicotine test so I'm not speaking from experience, but this might help. I can't guarantee anything though :( Good luck!

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Sadly, regardless of whatever suggestions people offer, in 4 days you'll very likely test positive.

Check out the thread @DC2 started to chronicle his efforts to test negative on a cotinine screen.

Cotinine testing - Day three of zero nicotine

Good luck, though. :thumb:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
15ml a day is quite a bit even at 3mg. You are likely screwed for the test, but there may be a slim chance you pass if you go to 0nic now. Drinking lots of water will help and possibly cranberry.

I believe the oral test will give you a better chance of passing, but I am just basing this on something I might have been told....

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
It can take 1-4 weeks before you test negative, sometimes longer, the hospital system I worked for had stated possibly up to 2 months. I think it depends on the sensitivity/accuracy of the test being done but it's highly doubtful, no matter what you do, 4 days would be long enough to test negative.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
thank you for your question. It triggered me to search on the topic and here is a relevant finding:

"The plasma half-life of nicotine after intravenous infusion or cigarette smoking averages about 2 h. However, when half-life is determined using the time course of urinary excretion of nicotine, which is more sensitive in detecting lower levels of nicotine in the body, the terminal half-life averages 11 h (Jacob et al. 1999). The longer half-life detected at lower concentrations of nicotine is most likely a consequence of slow release of nicotine from body tissues. Based on a half-life of 2 h for nicotine, one would predict accumulation over 6–8 h (3–4 half-lives) of regular smoking and persistence of significant levels for 6–8 h after cessation of smoking. If a smoker smokes until bedtime, significant levels should persist all night. Studies of blood levels in regular cigarette smokers confirm these predictions (Benowitz et al. 1982b). Peak and trough levels follow each cigarette, but as the day progresses, trough levels rise and the influence of peak levels become less important. Thus, nicotine is not a drug to which smokers are exposed intermittently and which is eliminated rapidly from the body. On the contrary, smoking represents a multiple dosing situation with considerable accumulation while smoking and persistent levels for 24 h of each day."

The half life of a compound been the time it takes for it to decrease by half in the body, by knowing the test sensitivity you can predict how long time before the test you need to stop nicotine for the test to be negative. The terminal half-life is 11h00 here.... Because nicotine accumulate in tissues (I suppose fat tissues), depending on your body weight fat ratio, nicotine cessation, daily exercising, detox diet (raw beets or juiced for example) 1-2 weeks before the test should come up clean. Also, drinking a lot of water before the test, will dilute your urine. Finally, never collect the beginning of the urine flow but just the end of it to be tested. I wonder why nicotine is tested so the challenge seems a bit awkward to me. Good luck anyway!

subohmboy

Sep 19, 2015
Las Vegas
thank you for your question. It triggered me to search on the topic and here is a relevant finding:

"The plasma half-life of nicotine after intravenous infusion or cigarette smoking averages about 2 h. However, when half-life is determined using the time course of urinary excretion of nicotine, which is more sensitive in detecting lower levels of nicotine in the body, the terminal half-life averages 11 h (Jacob et al. 1999). The longer half-life detected at lower concentrations of nicotine is most likely a consequence of slow release of nicotine from body tissues. Based on a half-life of 2 h for nicotine, one would predict accumulation over 6–8 h (3–4 half-lives) of regular smoking and persistence of significant levels for 6–8 h after cessation of smoking. If a smoker smokes until bedtime, significant levels should persist all night. Studies of blood levels in regular cigarette smokers confirm these predictions (Benowitz et al. 1982b). Peak and trough levels follow each cigarette, but as the day progresses, trough levels rise and the influence of peak levels become less important. Thus, nicotine is not a drug to which smokers are exposed intermittently and which is eliminated rapidly from the body. On the contrary, smoking represents a multiple dosing situation with considerable accumulation while smoking and persistent levels for 24 h of each day."

The half life of a compound been the time it takes for it to decrease by half in the body, by knowing the test sensitivity you can predict how long time before the test you need to stop nicotine for the test to be negative. The terminal half-life is 11h00 here.... Because nicotine accumulate in tissues (I suppose fat tissues), depending on your body weight fat ratio, nicotine cessation, daily exercising, detox diet (raw beets or juiced for example) 1-2 weeks before the test should come up clean. Also, drinking a lot of water before the test, will dilute your urine. Finally, never collect the beginning of the urine flow but just the end of it to be tested. I wonder why nicotine is tested so the challenge seems a bit awkward to me. Good luck anyway!

Yeah. It would be easy IF they tested for nicotine but they don't. The test is for cotinine, a metabolite of nicotine. Cotinine can stay in urine for up to about a week. Levels of cotinine can be quantified to check for the potential level of exposure. Any source of nicotine will make you positive for cotinine, even passive exposure. These tests are BS and and I would fight tooth and nail against an employer that tested for it, or quit. A night in a smoky bar could make you positive. Utter BS.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Have to take a nicotine test, urine or oral in 4 days. I Vape 3mg liquid at 40 watts through my IPV D3 and go through about 15 ml per day. Anyone here have experience on passing a nicotine test?? I know stopping for a few days, or vaping zero mg for a few days, drinking a lot of water is a good start. Any other tried and true suggestions? Thanks!

Exit96

My only suggestion would be to Stop using Nicotine Immediately. You might also read about how Levels of Protein in your Diet can Effect Test Results.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Yeah. It would be easy IF they tested for nicotine but they don't. The test is for cotinine, a metabolite of nicotine. Cotinine can stay in urine for up to about a week. Levels of cotinine can be quantified to check for the potential level of exposure. Any source of nicotine will make you positive for cotinine, even passive exposure. These tests are BS and and I would fight tooth and nail against an employer that tested for it, or quit. A night in a smoky bar could make you positive. Utter BS.

Honestly, I was concerned about that as I was writing. So they look at the nicotine metabolite product... I digged a bit on it and here is what I found:

"Cotinine is usually the test of choice to evaluate tobacco use or exposure to tobacco smoke because it is stable and is only produced when nicotine is metabolized. Cotinine has a half-life in the body of between 7 and 40 hours, while nicotine has a half-life of 1 to 4 hours." 40 hours is almost 2 days to decrease by half the initial body cotinine. As you said, it may take about a week to drop down cotinine to a level under the test threshold.

I read further on the situation where the test is required but found that it's none of my business... I just hope that you'll pass that test. I use to be a happy marijuana smoker but had to bit the pre-employment drug test in several occasions, and these were for high corporate positions. I passed them all, not by cheating but by applying strict habit changes based on scientific understanding of the tested compounds and the tests used.

Your situation is far less challenging that it is for marijuana but the principles remain the same. Is it a blood test or an urine test? If it's a blood test then nicotine exposure restriction, specific detox diet (i mentioned beets but there is other more potent nutriments), a long time without exposure before testing, and metabolite tissue elimination through exercise and water drinking make differences... Exercise is not necessarily an efficient way for clearance as it may enhance metabolite tissue release before the test. If it's an urine test, the same rules applies apply except that urine can be diluted by drinking excessive volumes of water before the the test. In addition, as I said before, don't collect the beginning urine flow for test. If you can urinate several time before the test collection then chances that most metabolite left over will be cleared through before the test sample. A bit stressful but I'm sure it worth it. Again best luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread