Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
if a person makes themselves a boatload of money by working their .... off,why is it fair for someone else to tell them what they should do with it ?they want insurance,go to school and get better jobs

And in the meantime, what...? they should just starve? Or die from a ruptured appendix because they can't afford to go to the hospital? The way he did it was just crappy... purposely giving fewer hours so they woudln't qualify for insurance or any other bennies.'

Andria

carrdoc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2014
Western subs of Chicago
And in the meantime, what...? they should just starve? Or die from a ruptured appendix because they can't afford to go to the hospital? The way he did it was just crappy... purposely giving fewer hours so they woudln't qualify for insurance or any other bennies.'

Andria
it may be crappy ,I agree,but a lot of companies do the same.look how many cut full timers to part to avoid Obama care.doesnt have to feel good,but if legal what can be done.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
it may be crappy ,I agree,but a lot of companies do the same.look how many cut full timers to part to avoid Obama care.doesnt have to feel good,but if legal what can be done.

Public shaming worked really well with the Papa John's guy.

Andria

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Oh, my heart bleeds for the rich people. It's one thing to complain about the gov't taking your money... it's quite another to complain about it when you've got 10 or 100 million in some tax-shelter. :facepalm: Those tax shelters are the problem! I guess they're afraid they won't be able to feed their children... caviar and champagne. :facepalm: That "Papa John" guy is a perfect example of what's wrong with rich people... he's worth about 400 million... and didn't want to give his employees health insurance. Can't you hear that tiny violin? :sneaky:

Andria

The rich pays plenty of taxes. If you look at the IRS' statistics, the top 5 percent of reported income pays well over 50 percent of the income taxes collected each year. The bottom 40 percent of reported income pays zero. As these statistics are based on tax returns that are filed, these numbers don't include people who don't work, or earn so little that they do not need to file a tax return. The liberal argument for raising taxes has always used the example that Warren Buffett supposedly pays less tax than his secretary. But their argument twists the facts to prove their point. In absolute dollars, Warren Buffet pays way more taxes than his secretary does. However, his secretary's income is made up mostly of wages, which are taxed at her marginal tax rate as ordinary income. Warren Buffett pays himself almost nothing in salary, so the vast majority of his income is from investments, and long term capital gains are taxed at a much lower tax rate. Also, I'm sure that he makes a ton of charitable contributions, so that helps to lower his effective tax rate as well. If you earn $100 million a year and donate $90 million a year, you have donated 90 percent of your money, but you still have $10 million left to spend. However, if you make $100,000 a year and you try donating 90 percent of your money, you're living in your car because you can't live on $10,000 a year.

So say you earn $100 million a year. You donate $90 million a year to charity, so only $10 million is subject to tax. That money is all long term capital gains, so you're taxed 20 percent. So you pay $2 million a year in taxes and have $8 million left to spend on your ski trips to Aspen, your summers in the Hamptons and your winters in the Bahamas. But you earned $100 million a year so that means you only paid 2 percent tax on your income.

Now say you earn $100,000 a year. You have feed, clothe, and house yourself as well as support your vaping habit, so you can't afford to donate anything. Since the US tax rates are progressive, your marginal tax rate is 28 percent (for single) and for taxable income of $100,000 the federal tax is $21,071. So after taxes, you have less than $80,000 a year to spend and your effective tax rate is 21 percent. Guess what, you pay ten times the amount of taxes that someone who earns $100 million dollars does if you look at the percentages, disregarding the fact that you only paid $21k in taxes while the millionaire paid $2 million and he actually paid almost 100 times more in taxes than you did if you look at absolute dollars.

And this also ignores the earned income credit, which is basically a cash subsidy to lower income working families with kids. Someone with 3 kids (all under 17) to support can earn $20k a year, can file a tax return, get every single dollar that they had withheld in income taxes back as a refund, and the federal government will throw in an extra $9k in additional refunds. So they are paying zero taxes, and the government gives them an extra $9k. Would that be considered a negative 48 percent tax rate?

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Andria
What the liberals really want is a single payer system, with the government being the single payer. This won't work because

1. You really need tort reform to cut down on the lawsuits (which the lawyers don't want)
2. You would need to effectively drive out of business all of the health insurance companies
3. You need tight controls on the cost of healthcare

During all of the debates over health care, many was pushing for the "European" style of health insurance where everything was provided for by the government. They single out the UK's NIH as an example. The problem is NIH is extremely expensive to taxpayers. As an example, look at what the government takes out of your paycheck for social security and medicare. Now double that and that is what employees in the UK has to pay for NIH. So imagine that the US had NIH. Take what you are paying now for social security and medicare and triple it and that is what you would lose out of your paycheck before even considering income taxes. And the coverage is rudimentary enough that for people who can afford it, they purchase private health insurance as well so they can get better coverage.

Canada also has universal health care. I recall reading a few years back that Canada's universal health care system ran out of money in its budget before the year was out. So unless it was urgent, you couldn't see your doctor until next year. I had a friend in Canada that needed a root canal. The dentist told her that he couldn't schedule her until the new budget year, so she had to wait three months.

Earlier this year Seattle raised their minimum wage to $15 an hour. A news channel in Seattle reported that there were people who now, because of the higher minimum wage had asked their employers to cut their hours because the higher salary meant that they would no longer qualify for government subsidies like food stamps and rent vouchers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Earlier this year Seattle raised their minimum wage to $15 an hour. A news channel in Seattle reported that there were people who now, because of the higher minimum wage had asked their employers to cut their hours because the higher salary meant that they would no longer qualify for government subsidies like food stamps and rent vouchers.

That right there is the problem -- they'd rather get a handout than work for a living. During the economic meltdown of recent years, my husband's company cut everyone's hours to 34.5 hrs a week. Which qualified us for food stamps. As soon as 40 hrs were restored, the food stamps were discontinued -- because my husband was allowed to work enough hours to live on, barely. That's entirely fair. It's those who'd rather get a handout from big nanny than work who are the real problem. (ETA: and my husband does not make $15/hr -- though it must be observed that the cost of living is undoubtedly lower here -- but who knows, he just got another raise, so it might be at $15/hr by now)

Andria

Reactions: Rossum

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
That right there is the problem -- they'd rather get a handout than work for a living. During the economic meltdown of recent years, my husband's company cut everyone's hours to 34.5 hrs a week. Which qualified us for food stamps. As soon as 40 hrs were restored, the food stamps were discontinued -- because my husband was allowed to work enough hours to live on, barely. That's entirely fair. It's those who'd rather get a handout from big nanny than work who are the real problem. (ETA: and my husband does not make $15/hr -- though it must be observed that the cost of living is undoubtedly lower here -- but who knows, he just got another raise, so it might be at $15/hr by now)

Andria
Seattle certainly isn't a cheap place to live, so I suppose in their defense the extra few dollars an hour can't make up for the several hundred dollars per month that they would lose out on. And health insurance certainly isn't cheap. My health and dental insurance coverage through my employer for me and my family costs me about $1,000 a month pre-tax, and my employer contributes about $16,000 a year towards it. And the coverage isn't really all that great either. It's a health fund plan so the plan covers the first $1,000 in expenses each year, and then we have to cover the next $2,500 as a deductible. Once over that then the insurance covers 80 percent (50 percent if out of network). Luckily we're all pretty healthy so our only times seeing the doctor is annual checkups or dental work. What does help is the negotiated rates. I know when the health care exchanges came about I went to check out how much the insurance would have cost if I didn't get health insurance through my employer. The silver plan would have cost us almost $20,000 a year, and the deductible would have been worse....$5,000 a year. Well.....15 more years and I'll qualify for Medicare.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Oh, my heart bleeds for the rich people. It's one thing to complain about the gov't taking your money... it's quite another to complain about it when you've got 10 or 100 million in some tax-shelter. :facepalm: Those tax shelters are the problem! I guess they're afraid they won't be able to feed their children... caviar and champagne. :facepalm: That "Papa John" guy is a perfect example of what's wrong with rich people... he's worth about 400 million... and didn't want to give his employees health insurance. Can't you hear that tiny violin? :sneaky:

Andria

There was a time when people who, by being lucky enough to do business in the USA, actually had a sense that with privilege came responsibility.......and there was a largesse in many wealthy people that doesn't exist today. They were very civic minded and also involved in the philanthropy of helping others who are strugging..........now it's just "I got mine, who cares if you get yours."

Instead of investing in the country where they made their millions, they have all their $$ in offshore accounts and tony vacation homes in other countries.

Certainly, no company, like Papa Johns, "succeeds" without the loyalty and hard work of their employees. Seems like a lot of corporations like to conveniently forget that part.

It is a shame that some people who work at Walmart are still having to get food stamps (meaning the taxpayer is supporting Walmart and other Corporate entities of their ilk......yet they are not considered "welfare" recipients, but the are!)

.......and there were many times when Walmart employees were standing in line at the food commodities on Thanksgiving in order to simply receive a turkey because they literally could not afford one. :(

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
There was a time when people who, by being lucky enough to do business in the USA, actually had a sense that with privilege came responsibility.......and there was a largesse in many wealthy people that doesn't exist today. They were very civic minded and also involved in the philanthropy of helping others who are strugging..........now it's just "I got mine, who cares if you get yours."

Instead of investing in the country where they made their millions, they have all their $$ in offshore accounts and tony vacation homes in other countries.

Certainly, no company, like Papa Johns, "succeeds" without the loyalty and hard work of their employees. Seems like a lot of corporations like to conveniently forget that part.

It is a shame that some people who work at Walmart are still having to get food stamps (meaning the taxpayer is supporting Walmart and other Corporate entities of their ilk......yet they are not considered "welfare" recipients, but the are!)

.......and there were many times when Walmart employees were standing in line at the food commodities on Thanksgiving in order to simply receive a turkey because they literally could not afford one. :(

It sure makes me grateful for my husband's employer(s). During the severe downturn, when they had to put everyone on 34.5 hrs a week to avoid laying anyone off... not one of the mgmt people received a paycheck at all -- not one. The regular admin personnel, they did, but the owner/mgrs... did not pay themselves one dime.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread