Non-Smokers who don't think you quit because you vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
I find its unfortunate that those who know nothing about vaping frown on it when you tell them you have quit smoking. I’ve met some really really ignorant people. Typically, I don’t bother getting into all the differences between vaping and smoking because to be honest they won’t even listen. Interesting how typically those same people will applaud folks who have used the gum, patch or even the pill. Yet, vaping in my opinion is no different than any of those methods.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I find its unfortunate that those who know nothing about vaping frown on it when you tell them you have quit smoking. I’ve met some really really ignorant people. Typically, I don’t bother getting into all the differences between vaping and smoking because to be honest they won’t even listen. Interesting how typically those same people will applaud folks who have used the gum, patch or even the pill. Yet, vaping in my opinion is no different than any of those methods.

Vaping is the same as nicotine replacement therapy in my opinion too.

The only difference is it gives you the physical replacement of smoking - along with nicotine.

I was lucky when I had to quit smoking - family and friends (all non-smokers) had been trying to convince me about vaping for months. I was too thick-headed to listen :rolleyes:

So when I did quit by vaping, they were all for it

Every one I've talked to in the medical field about how I quit smoking were also positive about it.

The naysayers and uninformed can kiss my smoke-free .... ;)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I do think vaping is different in that it is inhaled so I can understand why some view it as not actually quitting smoking. What I find inexcusable is the refusal to look at all the research before forming an opinion. For myself I just feel like I traded one habit for another less harmful habit. Good trade from my pov.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
    I do think vaping is different in that it is inhaled so I can understand why some view it as not actually quitting smoking. What I find inexcusable is the refusal to look at all the research before forming an opinion. For myself I just feel like I traded one habit for another less harmful habit. Good trade from my pov.

I agree. Those of us who are non-smokers are likely already well aware and have read it many times that vaping is not harmless. I do also wish those people that want to shoot off their mouth about what vaping is would at least take the time to check out the research. In my sole opinion I have to say Champix is worse than vaping. I have heard from many Champix users about unpleasant stories.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Look,

Folks here generally know using a vape device is generally safer than smoking tobacco.

But when the public sees a dude taking a giant toke from a battery box with a glass bowl on top for 3-4 seconds and exhale what looks like a whole bunch of steam....
    Conventional wisdom dictates that is harmful. No changing that anytime soon.

When someone asks me "don't those things explode?" I retort "yeah, unexpectedly" and puff on it a few times so they'll walk away in fear.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The issue is I think that there are two factors about smoking.
    1: smoking will kill you slowly and painfully. This is the original reason that smoking was attacked in the first place. It used to be that fully half of Americans smoked. When it first came out that it was bad for you a whole bunch of people quit. The remaining ones had a harder time.

2. Smoking is addictive
    While this is not the origional reason smoking became viewed as a nasty habit it has become one. The world is now filled with large numbers of life destroying addictive drugs in a way that it simply wasn’t in the 1950s when the anti cigarette movement began. People who say you are still smoking are effectively saying you’re still addicted to nicotine. And they’re not wrong.

The difficulty is that #1 and #2 tend to conflate in people’s minds. Vaping is not particularly dangerous, or dirty, or smelly, or basically any of the things cigarettes were rightly berated for, which creates a problem. On one hand it is arguable that vaping makes “smoking” OK, but the anti smoking movement does not accept ecigs as a solution. Primarily imho because it reperesents an end to their jobs. So now the issue is that it’s still addictive (although there are a lot of things that are equivalently addictive and sometimes even more dangerous)

Big Me

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2014
    England
    It's not just non-smokers that think that way. When my friend told me that he had stopped smoking by vaping instead I thought exactly the same.

I don't anymore.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I agree. Those of us who are non-smokers are likely already well aware and have read it many times that vaping is not harmless. I do also wish those people that want to shoot off their mouth about what vaping is would at least take the time to check out the research. In my sole opinion I have to say Champix is worse than vaping. I have heard from many Champix users about unpleasant stories.
    I agree, except for one thing. I know it's semantics, but I'll never consider myself a non-smoker. To me, that's people that never smoked. I'm an ex-smoker. No matter how long since I've quit, I'll never be a non-smoker. I wish I was a non-smoker. I always loved smoking, but hated being a smoker. And one day, I'll be an ex-vaper. But for now, I kind of like it (and feel so much greater!), being a 2 year ex-smoking vaper. I'll get around to it.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    I agree, except for one thing. I know it's semantics, but I'll never consider myself a non-smoker. To me, that's people that never smoked. I'm an ex-smoker. No matter how long since I've quit, I'll never be a non-smoker. I wish I was a non-smoker. I always loved smoking, but hated being a smoker. And one day, I'll be an ex-vaper. But for now, I kind of like it (and feel so much greater!), being a 2 year ex-smoking vaper. I'll get around to it.
    To me, a non-smoker can be either an ex-smoker or a never-smoker. But I don't consider myself someone who quit smoking because, instead, I consider myself someone who simply stopped smoking, as there was no painful-slow transition or struggle involved in any way, i.e. no real cravings normally associated with trying to quit or with trying to stay quit, and also no dual use. Further, I'll have plenty of time being an ex-vaper. After I'm dead and buried.

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Imagine how I feel knowing that the state I live in is collecting my tax dollars to propagate propaganda designed to give people this exact same idea. Even to the point of setting up a website called "still blowing smoke" to spread their crap.

To be fair though, apparently everything in your state will give you cancer :oops:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    To me, a non-smoker can be either an ex-smoker or a never-smoker. But I don't consider myself someone who quit smoking because, instead, I consider myself someone who simply stopped smoking, as there was no painful-slow transition or struggle involved in any way, i.e. no real cravings normally associated with trying to quit or with trying to stay quit, and also no dual use. Further, I'll have plenty of time being an ex-vaper. After I'm dead and buried.
    Non smoker, ex smoker, someone who quit smoking, etc, I dont smoke and I never will and I personally consider my self an ex, non, and someone who definitely quit smoking. Smoking is smoke and I dont do it anymore. The world will eventually come around

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My 2PAD cigarette habit is one that left in 2010, never to return, thanks to vaping. My attempts at quitting smoking failed until vaping arrived on the scene.

Caffeine and Nicotine aren't that different. Both are stimulants and both are psychologically addictive at some level. So, don't criticize my choice to vape with a cup of coffee in your hand. :)

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

Because vaping is so similar to smoking I had a more difficult time seeing myself as a nonsmoker. ( a different entity than a never smoker)

But the day it dawned on me was sometime into vaping and I realized that for the first time I could actually and truthfully say I'm a non smoker..

it will hit you someday im sure. Just takes time I think as we spent our lives as smokers and its hard to differentiate between the habit of smoking and the habit of vaping - but it isn't the same, and neither is a non smoker the same as a never smoker.

toughdiamond

May 12, 2009
    It's hard to see what people mean when they make judgements like that. True, a nicotine vaper hasn't kicked all the aspects of the tobacco-smoking habit, but the science shows they've cut their health risks down dramatically. If it's secondary vapour that's the concern, the risks are even less - unlikely to exceed the hazards of city pollution, infected public toilets, and air fresheners. I don't see what other reasons they'd have to invalidate the vaper's achievement, apart from lame ones such as holier-than-thou posturing and paranoia.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread