Noob going RBA and RDA safery questions and bonus Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Hi and thank you in advance. I need to make sure im safe when my Wofoto profile RDA system and tfv12 prince rba core arrive. So with wofoto rda the mesh system seems to be super simple. It comes with prebuild . 18 mesh plates i just screw them in place and the spring system below push the cotton in contact with the coil. Look pretty smart system. Ordered 0.13 prebuild mesh aswell for thicker clouds.

But i wanna master and have fun learning to build wire coils aswell. I did some research and chose kanthal A1 wires, 24,26 and 28ga tape wires. My mod is regulated, smok gpriv 2 luxe edition with 2xvtc5a batteries.

Im a noob and trying to learn from internet feel little scary. I use this guide, it helped me the most:

How do you know which gauge wire to buy for your RDA and battery? : vapeitforward

"What that means is I can make a 24AWG (gauge) kanthal coil with a resistance of .2 ohms with about 4 wraps... I can also make the same .2 ohms resistance with a 28AWG kanthal wire... but instead of 4 wraps I would have to do it with 2... now a 2 wrap 28 AWG is a ridiculously short coil and it cuts down on surface area for the wick... BUT understand that this principle holds true whether its a 22, 24, 26, 28 AWG"

Does that me if i make dual coil from 24ga wire about 4 wraps each i get 0.1ohm resistance? And i can use what ever wattage no matter the resistance and i am safe? So i can try almoust anything and will burn cottons and get ugly results, but i can make coils and try different things and i am always safe with regulated mod? It can support 0.1 or 0.05 ohm so everything is possible and lower the resistance, the more power is better? I dont need 200w coils but i wanna learn and make all kind of coils and experients safely. Im also getting ohm reader where you put tank and it tell resistance and can testfire also. Should i testfire like 20w so i see it works? And it should glow evenly red and wraps not touching eachother.

All advices are welcome, but im exited about new hobby, but i wanna be safe while learning. If i make low resistance coil and fire it at 200w can it explode? Im not seeking 200w vape but i wanna learn to make everything. And do you always put cotton inside the wraps or with wofoto can i also put cotton down side like with mesh coils so i get much cotton as possible in the system?

Sorry for my english and stupid questions.. I have other thing aswell

I think now when i swapped to 120w triple mesh coils i get often headache im not sure if its becouse of my bad pillows and neck radiating pain to back of my head, or am i getting to much nicotine. Its 3.6mg per ml and triple coil drink juice like crazy. 8ml tank wont last long and i like to vape allday. But still what i learned from internet vape should have much worse nicotine absobion rate than cigaretted and in the test they used 18mg per ml juice. I used to smoke red lms about 18mg nicotine per cigarette so i should not get anywhere near the ammount of nicotine what i did when i smoked. I quit little over 3 months ago like 15 to 20 cigarettes a day.

But more important am i safe learning to became proper rba and rda builder?

Thank you

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hello Vilbourne, Happy Holidays. First, don't beat yourself up too bad for being a noob. We were all there once. So, you informed us that you're new and jumping right into RDAs. Congrats on jumping on the bandwagon. RDAs are typically for those that have had experience with ohm's law, wire/battery knowledge, etc. I'm not saying you can't do it. I mean, you kind of sound like me in a way because I started building with my first setup. But I just want to stress how important it really is to know battery safety and ohm's law first. There are calculators you can use and various resources (like this forum) that can help you greatly. Anyways, how I jumped in with rebuildables was by watching various YouTube videos. When I say various, I mean, I could of graduated with a bachelor's in coil building and I wasn't even a vaper yet or even taken my first vape. I started by watching Phil Busardo and Grimm Green. I highly recommend watching their videos as they are always thorough in showing not only product information but also showing you in how to build "said" atomizer. Like all things in life, the more you do something, the better you get. The more videos you watch, the better you get. I myself, watched so many videos on the Kayfun (an atomizer) and other RTAs that I got the hang of it really fast and the first coil I built was so simple and easy. A 4 year old can wrap a coil but you need to understand a lot of things to do it safely. I'm the type that sees it, studies it, and can usually execute it as demostrated and I'm thinking that you might be like me. But to play it safe, I'm going to act you're def not me and try and help you safest way possible. Below is a video you might like about the Profile RDA..

Again, I want to stress the importance of battery safety and ohm's law before you receive your Profile and start putting coils in it. Take time now to understand what I mentioned above by watching videos or asking as many questions as you can so you fully understand how things work. Mistakes can be dangerous, even with a regulated mods with safety features. I may have overlooked some of your questions as it was a lot to read lol (not a bad thing at all), but let me just say..

1. WATCH AS MANY VIDEOS AS YOU CAN
  2. get comfortable with ohm's law calculators (you can google search some good ones)
  3. ASK QUESTIONS HERE
  4. know how batteries work
  5. WATCH MORE VIDEOS AND ASK EVEN MORE QUESTIONS HERE AT ECF

Good luck with your new adventure. I wish I had that thrill of learning like you currently do.

Take care. Merry Christmas.

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Thank you so much for great response and helping me out. It is 6AM here ive been studying the whole night and im dead tired now :) im sure the wotofo RDA is really simple to use as it have prebuilt mesh plates with instruction of power range i should use. 0.18 is 45w to 65 and 0.13 max 70w. There not much that can go wrong

Then i made something im still not sure if it is a good thing. I ordeted the tfv12 rba edition and im specially interested about the triple deck rba coil. It have 3x claptons pre installed and you only need to put cotton in them and you have a real powerhouse. But with this im mostly interested with building my own coils. It says it is a great tank to get into rba's and start learnig. What i understand i just make the coils, check the resistance and hotspots, then i use some calculator if my resistance, voltage and wattage is correct. Even though my mod should make it safe, but at the begining i should be carefull and not to try anything extreme. Im just bit worried if i know how to properly attach the coils into the deck when i take the preinstalled claptons off. If the tank even regonize my coils or something unexepted happen. I dont know if ordering the tfv12 rba kit was the right move but i live in hope it is a great platform for me to learn and have limitless options becouse it is a big 3 coil deck.

For the motofo rda i hope it have decent vapor production but the flavor is gonna be gamechanger i have the feeling, what ive read from user reviews its gonna be easy and super good mesh deck product. It seems to be something special so much hype from actual users.

I am very exited i have all the gear and tools coming its a new hobby and challenges i just hope to be safe and get some rewarding succes thru learning and building :)

Merry christmass to all, God bless

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
"What that means is I can make a 24AWG (gauge) kanthal coil with a resistance of .2 ohms with about 4 wraps... I can also make the same .2 ohms resistance with a 28AWG kanthal wire... but instead of 4 wraps I would have to do it with 2... now a 2 wrap 28 AWG is a ridiculously short coil and it cuts down on surface area for the wick... BUT understand that this principle holds true whether its a 22, 24, 26, 28 AWG"

maybe look into clapton wire

if we take an example of a 28g core, with thin wrap. The coil takes the resistance of the core but the mass of one size up (26g)

this allows more mass, to up the power

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Nice tip i should use claptons for the tfv12 rbt t just like the premade build it comes with. Ive read that the premade 3xclapton coil buil read resistance of 0.19 so what clapton wire or premade wires i want? If want to even lower or same resistance like.0.15 or 0.1? If i choose from these maybe or shoud i wrap. Myself

€ 2,47 26%OFF | NEW XFKM NI80 High Density Clapton Prebuilt Coils Premade Coil for Electronic Cigarette RDA RTA RBA Atomizer Mod Heating Wire
US $2.81 25% OFF|NEW XFKM NI80 High Density Clapton Prebuilt Coils Premade Coil for Electronic Cigarette RDA RTA RBA Atomizer Mod Heating Wire-in Electronic Cigarette Accessories from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Reactions: stols001

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Didnt use that link but i chose for testing"alien clapton kernel 26g, wrapped 30g resistance 0.3 it have 6 loops, premade coils. So if i put 3 of those it should end 0.1ohm? Dunno.. I quess i must test myself with the resistance reading device and if it keep minium of 0.1 im good to go for real testing. Then im also getting kanthal wires from 24ga to 28ga so i can try different setups and what i come with. If i dont try anything super stupid im gonna be fine. The devive also have firing mode so i dont have to put it in tank straight away. I must sound real dumb but im trying to learn hehe. Now i must go to sleep..

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I don't know if you know this or not but the TFV12 RBA and RBA-T is only for the TFV12 Cloud Beast King, they will not fit any of the TFV12 Prince tanks.

The 3 coil RBA-T is a lot to start with for a beginner builder. It is PiTA to build and wick, getting all 3 coils mounted and heating evenly can require a fair bit of tweaking.

The insulators on that deck were very poorly made and can melt quite easily. I don't know if Smok has addressed and rectified this problem as product quality is at the very bottom of their priority list. You might want to be very careful when dry firing any build on that deck.

I would choose a tank that is designed for single or dual coil builds to start with, not one that uses drop in coil heads that have been mickey moused to work as an RBA, that's just my opinion.

You would have a more productive and enjoyable time building on a tank that has no issues and is easy to build and wick such as the Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V2.1 (25mm) or Aromamizer Plus (30mm). Both of those tanks have postless decks with single coil and velocity style decks available. They are easy to build, dead simple to wick and provide excellent flavor/performance.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The two main things to remember with a regulated device -
  • The resistance is not really important, the mod will deliver the selected wattage regardless. Lots of surface area and low mass is generally the way to go.
  • The amps draw from the battery is dictated by the selected wattage and the remaining voltage in the battery. So work out the amp draw for your chosen wattage and then choose quality batteries that match or exceed that amp limit. See the article below for more information on how to do this.

Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum
Understanding Battery Capability/Capacity | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety | E-Cigarette Forum

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it were me personally, I would go with simple round wire builds first. They're easier to manipulate and work with and TRUST me when I say this. I don't remember exactly if the tank RDA you are getting is a 4 post deck, so that means if you install 2 coils, the resistance will be halved. It will also probably be (I haven't seen one) small, fiddley and hard to build. Because you have to balance your coils as much as you can and that can be hard.

I'd recommend a roomier one coil RTA or RDA to start with, honestly. It will be a ton easier.

Note that I am not talking SAFETY issues exactly, more like "your first build" issues. I mean if you are some sort of electrical engineer or computer rebuilder type person you may be just fine.

If you are a regular old person, well, I would not be starting from a retrofitted build deck from SMOK, I just wouldn't..

Of course, this does mean you will have nowhere to go but UP and at least RDAs are a more forgiving build when it comes to wicking and etc, and some folks like Smok build decks, I would have to say I probably would not be one of them but well, to each his own.

Anna

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Sometimes or very often i make impatient decissions, add doesnt help heh. So i ordered the tfv12 rba edition last night hehe. But i have a battle plan. First i just install the premade mesh on wotofo prodile rda, that cant be hard. Then i try to make my own wire coil on wotofo, the deck looks very easy to work with. Maybe try even to fit 2 coils on wotofo but start with 1. Then i move to prince rba deck, "carefully" inspecting how the prebuilt wires are made and installed(*ripping them out fast as possible*) and trying to get my kanthal wrapped coils or/and the premade clapton coils installed. Studying about the resisistance voltage etc and get working 2 coil build. When i feel confident i move to tfv12 king tank and get the rba t started. First wick and study the preinstalled claptons and when i get it working i may start building my first 3 coil setup and start studying and learning, keeping ohms law in mind and everything pretested with the resistance reader and keeping everything on the green zone. I probably enjoy vape wise the wotodo rda the most but i have a new coil building hobby and maybe i get to make my first custom builds and the enjoy of succes will come. May be hopefull thinking but im sure eventually i get something working if i keep patient and my nerveres in check. No need to rush or make hasty decissions, safety comes first. I got everything i need when my mails arrive should keep me busy for a while

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Sometimes or very often i make impatient decissions, add doesnt help heh. So i ordered the tfv12 rba edition last night hehe. But i have a battle plan. First i just install the premade mesh on wotofo prodile rda, that cant be hard. Then i try to make my own wire coil on wotofo, the deck looks very easy to work with. Maybe try even to fit 2 coils on wotofo but start with 1. Then i move to prince rba deck, "carefully" inspecting how the prebuilt wires are made and installed(*ripping them out fast as possible*) and trying to get my kanthal wrapped coils or/and the premade clapton coils installed. Studying about the resisistance voltage etc and get working 2 coil build. When i feel confident i move to tfv12 king tank and get the rba t started. First wick and study the preinstalled claptons and when i get it working i may start building my first 3 coil setup and start studying and learning, keeping ohms law in mind and everything pretested with the resistance reader and keeping everything on the green zone. I probably enjoy vape wise the wotodo rda the most but i have a new coil building hobby and maybe i get to make my first custom builds and the enjoy of succes will come. May be hopefull thinking but im sure eventually i get something working if i keep patient and my nerveres in check. No need to rush or make hasty decissions, safety comes first. I got everything i need when my mails arrive should keep me busy for a while

Sounds great man. I'm sorry if I came across to you in the 'total beginner doesn't know a thing type vaper' but there were a few times here where I replied to ppl thinking they knew the same things I did and assumed they took the same safety precautions but others reaction here weren't so pleasant, shunning and/or counseling me about new vapers. All I was trying to do was help. So now I just act like everybody is new. But it sounds like you have things down from reading and I wish you luck. And yes it is true most regulated is safer as far as not letting u fire some devices if something isnt right but don't rely on the chip to protect you. It's just a safety feature in the end. And some mods, name brand popular brands can still fire short circuited builds/malfunction. And I'm sure as you know it's always good practice to do things correctly yourself with piece of mind of the added safety from the chip behind you. Never be careless of things just because you're using a regulated device. Rarely but sometimes things can still go wrong and accident DO happen with regulated devices. With that said, we enjoy seeing pics here so don't be shy in posting and showing us all your first RBA build. Take care Vilbourne. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Last edited:

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Thanks alot, i appreciate everyones help very much and i allready learned from you and from everyone here who came for aid. I basicly dont know much at all and have zero practical experience. I try absord as much information as possible before the mails arrive. The things i learned from reddit, google, etc are scattered and i dont know if all of them are trusted so this place is like a safe harbour i can come and learn from people who have allready gone thru this. But this get me exited i have tons of things to learn and better yet see the results in practise and ultimately enchant my vaping experience and maybe save some money.

Merry christmas and holidays to you and everyone else in this forum. And thank you again.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Thanks alot, i appreciate everyones help very much and i allready learned from you and from everyone here who came for aid. I basicly dont know much at all and have zero practical experience. I try absord as much information as possible before the mails arrive. The things i learned from reddit, google, etc are scattered and i dont know if all of them are trusted so this place is like a safe harbour i can come and learn from people who have allready gone thru this. But this get me exited i have tons of things to learn and better yet see the results in practise and ultimately enchant my vaping experience and maybe save some money.

Merry christmas and holidays to you and everyone else in this forum. And thank you again.

Ask the questions as they arise

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Ask the questions as they arise

I will! Tommorow mail will bring me my first rba head and day after tommorow wotofo rda and premade alien v2 claptons will come. But my resistance reader and toolkit probably not until next week. I will see what can be done without tools and resistance reader, i will get wotofo working, but cant start making my own rba yet.

I studied some ohms law. For the ultimate douche tank the tfv12 i ordered some premade t14, 14 coils 90-320w coil head. I decided i will run it at 200w. 2xsony vtc5a should be plenty enough for the 0.12ohm t14 coil. As vtc5a can do 25a min and 35a in heat controlled device like regulated mod and pulse 45a. 200w at 0.12ohm is only about 5volts and 40a draw so it should be easy. Its just my summer douche tank when im at spots where smoking is allowed im gonna fire the 14 coils at 200w and drown the hole place, or outside cafe and im like its only vapor no big deal :) heh just kidding i know the etique.

But i Will update when building starts the rda deck should be easy to install. I really need squank mod like geekvape gbox if the system is good. Im little worried i opened premade max mesh coil and inside is whole 25mm x 10mm(best at 120w) mesh coil plate its bigger surface area then wotofo rda mesh os only 16mm x 6.8mm but i hope it is still better even it only maxes 60-80w

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I studied some ohms law. For the ultimate douche tank the tfv12 i ordered some premade t14, 14 coils 90-320w coil head. I decided i will run it at 200w. 2xsony vtc5a should be plenty enough for the 0.12ohm t14 coil. As vtc5a can do 25a min and 35a in heat controlled device like regulated mod and pulse 45a. 200w at 0.12ohm is only about 5volts and 40a draw so it should be easy.
Go back and read the articles I posted for you.

Vilbourne

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
Finland
Thank you for helping, i have. The vape tool app help me greatly. Knowing to respect ohms law and the limits of my batteries. Then i need practical experience and testing i dont believe no one have created coil they wanted in first try. But i dont know all in advance like battery is 4.2v when fully loaded, double setup its 8.4v max and 2.5min. If im not firing stupid coils like 0.5ohm at 200w(10v) i should be fine, and the mod wont even let me to. But what if i create a coil for higher voltage and as the batteries dry they drop below the voltage. Like 6.2v coil(not making but if) and each battery is drained to 3v. Will it simply lower the voltage and wattage output? And battery minium resistance is 0.12ohm like many prebuilt coils are but often change over time so what happen if you try to fire coil with 0.1 or 0.11 resistance and the battery minium is 0.12ohm?

Im sure more questions emerge but i only start rba when i have all the tools and 510 resistance reader. I have piles of prebuilt wires coming the different results exite me im gonna start simple, learning to wick and install before i start anything more complex. Then i can start using 2 prebuilt clapton builds and continue from that. I hope i can someday jig my own 3 coil build. But im having so much stuff coming im gonna be happy and busy for some time. The rda cant be hard to install mesh plate and put cotton inside i will get the motofo soon. I ordered geekvape gb box squank mod i have fate in mesh rda even the mesh surface area is smaller what prebuilt coils have. I can only know so little with zero practical experience but i get there. I think i will love the rda with 8ml squank and building my own coils but its useless to plan exactly what i will want as the outcome will not be optimal from the start. But learning and building i like.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank you for helping, i have. The vape tool app help me greatly. Knowing to respect ohms law and the limits of my batteries. Then i need practical experience and testing i dont believe no one have created coil they wanted in first try. But i dont know all in advance like battery is 4.2v when fully loaded, double setup its 8.4v max and 2.5min. If im not firing stupid coils like 0.5ohm at 200w(10v) i should be fine, and the mod wont even let me to. But what if i create a coil for higher voltage and as the batteries dry they drop below the voltage. Like 6.2v coil(not making but if) and each battery is drained to 3v. Will it simply lower the voltage and wattage output? And battery minium resistance is 0.12ohm like many prebuilt coils are but often change over time so what happen if you try to fire coil with 0.1 or 0.11 resistance and the battery minium is 0.12ohm?

Im sure more questions emerge but i only start rba when i have all the tools and 510 resistance reader. I have piles of prebuilt wires coming the different results exite me im gonna start simple, learning to wick and install before i start anything more complex. Then i can start using 2 prebuilt clapton builds and continue from that. I hope i can someday jig my own 3 coil build. But im having so much stuff coming im gonna be happy and busy for some time. The rda cant be hard to install mesh plate and put cotton inside i will get the motofo soon. I ordered geekvape gb box squank mod i have fate in mesh rda even the mesh surface area is smaller what prebuilt coils have. I can only know so little with zero practical experience but i get there. I think i will love the rda with 8ml squank and building my own coils but its useless to plan exactly what i will want as the outcome will not be optimal from the start. But learning and building i like.
Many (but not all) modern mods have boost/buck circuits. The boost circuit works but has weirdnesses. If the batteries are too low to support continuous fire at wattage they will “pulse” at the correct wattage. This creates both an odd vape feel and drains the batteries very very quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread