Noob need help making my own juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nono5551212

Jun 11, 2016
Hello,

I just smoked my last cigarette in the pack and I want to start vaping.

Anyhow I DIY'd my own juice 6 days ago. (Letting it Steep)

I have a few questions.

Is my formula Right? Am I missing any ingredients?
X2 Parts VG
X3 Parts PG (I like more of a throat hit)
X 1/2 Part Nicotine
X 1/2 Part Flavor

I bought a liter of 12 MG nicotine, on the bottle it says it's 50% VG 50% PG mixed with nicotine. It also says SHAKE WELL AND DILUTE BEFORE USE.

What does it mean by dilute? I thought it already had 50/50 PG/VG?

Thanks in advance for the help. I would have Googled all of this but I have 11 month old twin girls to take care of and haven't really slept in 11 months.

Here are the items I bought and used to make my juice..

Nicotine
Nicotine Solution - 12mg Liter

Flavor
Black Cherry Tobacco (HV)

PG
Propylene Glycol - USP Kosher - 1 Liter

VG
Vegetable Glycerin - USP Kosher - 1 Liter

Reactions: IDJoel

nono5551212

Jun 11, 2016
Hello,

I'm new to all of this and I bought a liter of 12mg nicotine solution. On the bottle it says 50/50 PG/VG mixed with nicotine.

Anyhow the label says Shake Well & Dilute before use....

What do you think it means by dilute? I thought it had 50/50 PG/VG. Assumed all I need to do is add a little flavor and that would be all.

Thanks

bigdogsam

Jun 11, 2016
You will be amazed at how much better you will feel, yes cost of cigaretts is an issue, the way you feel and your health even more important.

I am just now getting into making my own juice to both get the cost of vaping down and get a flavor I really like. My one flavor I keep going back to is Uncle Junk's Honey Do, love that stuff. Locally I can only find it in small bottles, very expensive. I have found it online in 120 bottles for way cheaper.

Perhaps do something similar, find a juice you really like, buy it in bulk (large bottle) till you get your DIY juice down, ANYTHING not to go back to cigarettes. I'm finding lots of youtube video's and reference materials online, probably going to mix up my first batch tomorrow.

Good luck with your quest for that perfect juice, price may have gotten you into vaping, hopefully your improved health and some good juice will keep you in it.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Let's say I wanted to vape 12mg, am I wrong to think that I just pour the 12mg nicotine solution into a bottle and add some flavor.. Let it steep a few days and it's ready to go?

To make my own juice, am I correct to think I only need the below, or am I missing something?
- PG
- VG
- Flavor
- Nicotine

thanks

You have the right idea. As mentioned above adding flavor will dilute the Nicotine. BUT as a new DIY'er I wouldn't worry about that right now. Just keep it simple and add flavor to the 12mg PG/VG/NIC base and vape away. Make small batches of 5ml's or so to keep waste to minimum and keep track of the amount of flavor used and keep experimenting with flavorings until you get the hang of it. You can always add complexity later. Most importantly write every thing down so you can keep track of your successes. Learn to work in percentages for instance:

starting with 5ml's of 12mg base
added 5% TFA strawberry ripe flavoring and its to weak
added another 2% and its getting better
added another 1% and it's a perfect strawberry taste but I wish it was creamer.
added 2% TFA sweet cream and now it's nice and creamy.

etc......

Get yourself an e-juice calculator and lean to use it. I highly recommend this one.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Read my blogs for all sorts of helpfull stuff

dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Lets hope I stay cigarette free.
Hi @nono5551212 and welcome!
@dannyv45 and the others are giving you good info. Regarding the label; I am guessing the reason there is a caution to dilute is because the company doing the labeling is using a template for the printed label and will read the same regardless of the nicotine strength. At 12mg/mL you do not need to dilute further.

The only other advice I would offer at this point has to do with your desire to stay off the "Stinky sticks."
This advise comes solely from my own experience. My first attempt to quit with the help of vaping was a failure because I did not have the right equipment or the right juice. This was in the early days of vaping and the only devices really available at the time were the ciga-likes that used the pre-loaded juice cartridges and produced a rather thin vapor. This first attempt lasted, off and on, for less than a month before I was back to the stinkies.

By the fact that you are able to use your own DIY liquid I am assuming that you are using more contemporary equipment and this will not be an issue for you.

Continuing with my own experience; about two years after the first attempt someone introduced me to a simple variable voltage device with a refillable tank. The difference was night and day! This time I got the dense vapor I needed to feel it in my lungs (something that was missing in all the other nicotine replacements I had tried) and was able to provide an adequate amount of nicotine to hold back the cravings that I previously couldn't overcome.

This f i n a l l y ;) brings me to my advise to someone who is just starting their journey to quit: "Don't give up!"

If your initial efforts don't seem to be working; don't think "this doesn't work for me" and go back to smoking. Try changing up your vape instead. I was a "full flavored" smoker and the vape shop that set me up suggested I start with 18mg/mL strength liquid to start. I went back in about 5 days after I started and said that I was still off the analogs but I was getting pretty edgy and unpleasant to be around just like the other times I tried to quit. The employee said that a lot of the "addiction" isn't from the nicotine component as much as all the other chemicals that are found in analogs. His suggestion was to step up the nicotine level of the my e-liquid for a bit until the cravings subsided. So I bought a bottle of 24mg/mL of a flavor I liked and went home.

Before the day's end I was feeling much better and was almost pleasant to be around :lol:. I continued to vape the higher level of nicotine for about a month and was then able to go back to the 18mg/mL, a few weeks later I went to 12mg/mL, and a few months after that I was down to 6mg/mL. Now I am working at 3mg/mL.

So my take-aways from successfully quitting with the aid of vaping (for me @ 3 years success and counting) are:
1. Use a vaping device that will provide the physical substitute that you need. (For me it was being able to feel it in my lungs, others it's the throat hit, others it's the "hands" feeling, others it is flavor. Whatever you choose to use; it must meet your physical needs, and not be too fussy that you don't like/won't use it.)
2. Don't be stingy with the nicotine in the beginning. The first step is to get OFF the stinkies. THEN you can start reducing your nicotine level. ( For you, because your DIY nicotine is at 12mg/mL, You may want to try a higher strength commercial e-liquid in the beginning, if the 12mg/mL isn't doing the trick to start. Also; it's OK to go back up in nicotine strength when you need to. I will still increase my nicotine level, from time to time, when I am feeling stressed. It is always about staying of the stinkies first, and quitting second.)
3. Finding the right flavor(s) matters. (For me; I couldn't do tobacco flavors for the first six months to a year. I found that the tobacco flavors made me "jones" for an analog cigarette more. Fruits and mints were my ticket. For others; tobaccos are the only thing that does work. Again, if it's not working, don't quit... change it up.)
4. Build yourself a good support network. Family, friends, co-workers, fellow vapers, and vaping communities like here on ECF. Folks that understand what you are trying to accomplish and want to see you succeed can be invaluable.
Along with this I would add that being able to clearly describe what you are feeling, or what is missing, or what you want, helps other a bunch in helping you find a solution. Especially when using a remote support base like this forum. (I have gotten into the habit of writing my post, and then proof reading it again as a whole before posting it, and then applying any changes to make it read the way I intended in the beginning. It is amazing how often it sounds good while I am typing, but when I read it again in its entirety, it misses it's mark.:facepalm:)

Anyhow, that's my :2c: for what it's worth. :D

Welcome again, And I wish you success! :thumbs:
Vaping does work! :vapor::toast::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread