NotCigs refugee thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
This one is a really nice one too.
It's a song by Oonagh (the one who sang in Celtic woman's song Tir na nogh) but this time in German:

Words go something like this (I'm not very good at translating German, may contain errors, so to speak):

A voice speaks
a nostalgia grows up
touched by the night
and woken up by the moon
the memories
at a distant happiness
beyond the horizon
leads the way back

Oh deep ocean ,deep ocean, we abandon Middle-Earth for Eldamar
Oh deep ocean,deep ocean, to go there, under Menelmacar
Oh deep ocean, deep ocean, we abandon Middle-Earth for Eldamar
Oh deep ocean, deep ocean, the last part of our voyage

Last edited:

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I love these poetic lines and verses in songs.
Finnish songs are full of poetry.
They are like Pablo Neruda at his best :)

"Tonight I can write the saddest lines.

Write, for example, ‘The night is shattered
and the blue stars shiver in the distance.’

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too"

908Tracy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
NJ
Hello marviner and welcome.

Wharf good luck to Kia and Max! <3

I’m off to get my day started in a few. Setting with the oldies...no volunteer this week to bring them to and from the salon. Extra cardio for us!!! Bring it on!

All of this nonsense with the big vaping scaremongering and I had my first customer come in reeking of cigarettes and full of questions on the safety of vaping. She had been vaping for years, quit successfully, but was scared into exactly what they hoped to accomplish.
I talked with her and shared everything I know. She left with a bottle of her favorite juice and said she was headed home to shower and brush that nastiness out of her mouth.
Can’t stop, won’t stop!

Have a good day everyone<3

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Beautiful songs, all, Marvin! I can't pick a favorite, they all inspire joy :)

Tracy, I've had many well meaning "friends" ask me about the latest vaping fear mongering too. It pisses me off to have to start the re-education campaign all over again, but I try to do it with patience. I'm glad your customer listened to you!

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I'm doing more that just fine...I'm doing better than ever!

Gave my ex the final heave 'ho, got my mother in law settled into a nice dementia care home, moved 900 miles away, and bought a little house. Just my dog and me, and couldn't be more grateful :)

Wonderful to hear you are doing good! You can scroll back a few hundred pages in this thread and follow my journey over the past 5 years since we last spoke :)

Will do :)
That's fantastic news, I'm glad to hear you're doing well :)
Life throws sometimes a curve ball, but most such things can be sorted in one way or the other. And overcoming of difficulties is a major part of life, at least that's how I see it :)

In Finland we have a saying "Life isn't always like dancing on a floor covered with roses".

And I truly hope it isn't, because roses usually have thorns :)

Well, I of course have to include at least some music in these messages - as it has been kind of a tradition - so here goes :)
Steve'n'Seagulls:

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Hello marviner and welcome.

Thank you Tracy :)
I've been here for many years, on and off.
Well most of the last 5 or 6 years off, so your welcome post is more than appropriate :)
Happy to be here, so thank you again :)

Oh, I almost forgot the song.
I like to post songs or music videos with my messages.
Songs that I like. I hope that they make people happy, brighten their day, give food for thought, or things like that :)

Here's Steve Vai, Sunshine Electric Raindrops covered by danimolina.
That's actually a song which really sounds like how a sunny rain on a beautiful august evening looks like:

Just like this Steve Vai song (called Juice) sounds exactly how orange juice tastes like - fresh in the morning, just when you've woken up with sleepy eyes.

So you open the fridge, take a good mouthful of freezing cold orange juice...I hits the top of your mouth. Nerve ends at the top of your mouth sends signals instantly everywhere. You feel cold, sharp, tingling, icicle sensation at the bottom of your eyes which then explodes into a heavenly shivering taste of fruitiness - sending shivers all over :) That's the best I can do describing how ice cold, fresh orange juice tastes in the morning:) It's fantastically refreshing! And that's how this song sounds like:

Last edited:

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I do remember you marviner, and that you like to share music.

Thank you!

You're most welcome :)
Playing music and informing things about music has been part of my life as long as I can remember. I started to play guitar when I was 12 years old, and that is - in other words - a long time ago :)

So I was 12 years old, and I saw this amazing guitar player on a telly. I was like, "who is this guy? He's incredible!"

That guy happened to be Jimi Hendrix :)

At that very moment, I knew, I had to get myself a guitar - sooner rather than later.
Because I wanted to play like him.

Quite soon I learned that I can't play like him, because nobody can.
In fact, nobody can play like anybody else. It's impossible.
And then I realized, that nobody can play like me. Only I can :)

That's me playing a part of a Tony MacAlpines song called " Tears of Sahara".
I don't sound like Tony MacAlpine, but nor does he sound like me :)

Last edited:

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Missed all the music, :)marviner

Oh, thank you :) So nice to hear that :)
That was very kindly said.

I have to share with you one of the most beautiful songs, I've ever heard.
It's called "Myrskyluodon Maija" - Maya, girl from the stormy island.

This is also one of those songs, which live up to it's name.

In the beginning, there's calm before the storm kind of feeling, but you can hear dark clouds gathering on the horizon. Then the storm hits with all of it's fury, but after the storm, rain subsides, sun comes out - and Maya is still standing, facing the sea, with her head held up high.

Last edited:

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Oh, thank you :) So nice to hear that :)
    That was very kindly said.

I have to share with you one of the most beautiful songs, I've ever heard.
    It's called "Myrskyluodon Maija" - Maya, girl from the stormy island.

That is beautiful:)

marviner

ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2011
    Helsinki, Finland
    You play very nicely
    Well jeez, I don't know :)
    I Play how I play. It's my style :)

But there are many guitarists which I adore, and I wish I could play like them (Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, etc)
    And of course Steve Vai. He's one of my biggest guitar heroes, shadowed only by Jimi and maybe Brian May out of Queen - and Nuno Bettencourt out of Extreme.

But Little Stevie Vai, Brian May and Nuno are the greatest guitar players alive today. I my opinion, of course :)

Since Nuno Bettencourt might be a unfamiliar name, let's hear some of his music:

Here's another song played by Nuno Bettencourt, Steve Vai, Yngvie Malmsteen and Zakk Wylde. It's a Queen song called "Bohemian Rhapsody" I think everybody knows the song, but this one is played with guitars (vocals are played with guitars too) and another curious thing about it is - do you think Yngwie Malmsteen has enough Marshall Amplifiers on stage? He could fit couple more there, I mean there is some space left after all :)

Last edited:

marviner

ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2011
    Helsinki, Finland
    Here's some of my guitar playing efforts.
    It's a song by Steve Vai called "Crying Machine" played by me.

And here's how master himself plays it:

There's a difference :)

There really is a difference. I mean I played all the right notes and exactly on time, but I still don't sound anything like Steve Vai. And I never can. He has his own unique style, he's own unique touch how to articulate the notes he plays - and nobody can copy that. And that's a beautiful thing.

It means that all of us are unique, and nobody can copy us, whatever we decide to do :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread