Not open for further replies.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
With 70% isopropyl alcohol you're limited to 1 part vg to 7 parts isopropyl (in order for the result to be > 60% alcohol). One gallon of vg would be used to make 8 gallons of hand sanitizer. Not a great mix, super thin, though the vg likely does make it a bit better than just using the 70% directly.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
That sounds like a good blend. End result is 68% iso, decent amount of vg.

We carry a quart in the back of my car, with an 8 oz bottle up front.

We got the water turned on at camp today, though I still have to dig up the 3 stage filter before turning on the kitchen.

(It's fed from the lake. Main water is sediment, carbon and uv filter, with a 3-stage carbon filter in the kitchen for cooking.)

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
I'm living on the edge, I have no hand sanitizer, but I always keep 91% iso on hand. Hand washing is something I have always done frequently, and wiping counters, etc with bleach/water solution. With only Bella sharing my house, I am not overly concerned about home. Going to the grocery store is my main concern.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I do pick ups only. At Walmart you don’t have to get out of the car. They will even sign their tablet for you so zero exposure. Is that an option for you, Bov?

Fran, I thought about Instacart but am ok with Walmart for now. I did hear that Instacart employees may be going on strike soon.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
So sorry to hear that, Tracy. I know it is bad in your state. It is hard to find food here too. This has been one time that I have been really glad that I have two freezers full. My have a walk in pantry that is always full as well.

hang in there. I think that the food situation will get better soon. I am hoping that you guys have at least something to eat.

if you get desperate check amazon and eBay for canned/ dry goods. Some are price gouging but it may be better than nothing. ((( hugs )))

Edit- do you have madks/gloves/ hand sanitizer?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Tracy I do know if a place you can order very good healthy meals that you can have delivered to your door they run under $10 each if needed. I have used them multiple times plus I used to get them for my mom

May at least be an option for your mom

El Dee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
DIXIE
Greetings from the Twilight Zone.....We've been under lockdown since Monday at 5pm....My county had 18 cases as of yesterday....Wake County to our North had 138 so no way in Hell I'm heading that way....I've had hand sanitizer dripping from my socks here lately and I'm running low....No ISO is available and not really sure if I've got VG but I do have a gallon of moonshine and I'll use it straight need be...Had need to hit the DMV....get this....Went to Elizabethtown and found they close early due to the virus.....went to Angier the next day and they are closed indefinitely....Left there and went 50 miles to sanford where I'd been a few days earlier.....They closed at 3 and it was 3:10.....That was Friday....Went back to sanford to see my tax lady and hopefully get signed up for that 1200 check....She's really sick and now retired....H&R wouldn't see things my way so I guess the Hell with the 1200....Drove by the DMV prior to the tax lady and there was a line out the door....Hoping it would settle I drove back after and the line was 4X as long...The Hell with the germy DMV as well.........
Hustling 101....heard the neighbor lady was looking at a Ranger up the road....Mine still needed a little work and some tires so I offered at a 1000 discount and she bit...That was DMV trip and 1/2 gallon of sanitizer 1....I'd been shopping another enclosed trailer smaller than the one I had....I preferred silver to match mine....I required the trailer had extra height because steel and my skull don't agree....About 1 in 30 or so have extra height and I was looking at a new one....Right when the Ranger deal was made I found a 2020 trade in....7x16, silver and a foot extra height....the Ranger deal was made on Friday after 5 with money to change hands on Monday....Then they put me off until Wednesday....I could have went down and purchased the trailer but I kinda wanted to feel rich for just a few minutes and I really didn't wanna rush it either....I waited....nervously....I researched and found the identical trailer in black for 5800 plus tax and prolly some dang lot fees thrown in....the Cat was asking 4400....That was the reason for being in Elizabethtown....I threw 4000 at him and it's in the yard now....It was titled December 27th....So 3 months old and a 2k savings...Maybe some day I'll be able to get a legal tag.....
Now the rear brakes are scrubbing on the Tacoma....200k dang near it so I guess they lived a long life....shop was a wreck from all the stuff I've drug up so I've been working on that this week....just about there...used my new grill for the first time the other day....I smoked a brisket according to the recipe from the grill website....Being a brisket rookie I found I only had a flat.....a whole brisket is a flat and a point....Still it turned out edible....The grill performed flawlessly.....Gonna try and hit a pork specialty store after I get some brakes...place is called NaHunta and is on the other side of Smithfield in the woods so a lower virus risk....I'm taking the dang big cooler and the dang sanitizer...

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
LD, google tax preparation in your area. Failing that you can absolutely do your taxes yourself online. Do not let it scare you. I do them for people in my family. The software will walk you right through it. I like and use olt dot com or online taxes. Give it a shot. If you don’t feel confident when done you do not have to submit it.

if I am able to help just let me know.

edit- if they sell everclear there as they do here you can use that with vg to make hand sanitizer.

908Tracy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
NJ
So sorry to hear that, Tracy. I know it is bad in your state. It is hard to find food here too. This has been one time that I have been really glad that I have two freezers full. My have a walk in pantry that is always full as well.

hang in there. I think that the food situation will get better soon. I am hoping that you guys have at least something to eat.

if you get desperate check amazon and eBay for canned/ dry goods. Some are price gouging but it may be better than nothing. ((( hugs )))

Edit- do you have madks/gloves/ hand sanitizer?

We do have all of the required essentials thankfully. We are taking all precautions seriously. Thank you Salem! <3

El Dee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
DIXIE
I've moved on from my tax plan....Afraid if I grab the bull I may get the horns......

We gotta hit SC to get 190 Everclear....Seems we had an unconscious college student that got it regulated to 100 here....The shine is 110.....I saw it proofed on a hydrometer....Dug through my sheet and found 1 gallon of 91 ISO and a quart of VG....Planning 25% VG 75% ISO.....That'll work won't it????? saving that shine in case any covids get in my throat.....Seriously I thought about finding a spray bottle but just decided it would work if gargled and spit out....

Thankfully the Tacoma has 2 size options for brakes.....I found less than a teaspoon of mud in my rear brakes though it was on the side opposite where I thought the scrubbing was coming from....Couple weeks back when the weather was fowl I hit a spot of mud and nearly got stuck.....The rest was all brake dust so I breathed a little and then got a mask....Damn masks like gold these days....I cleaned everything all up and whatever was causing the noise is gone....Painted my brake drums semi gloss black so now you don't see rusty, crusty drums through my wheels....Moving on from that I started recycling burned motor oil....I had @ 150 gallons in a drum out back of the shop....I'm around 90 or so hauled off....Whatever made me think that drum was a good idea I don't know....It's two fold....Should the property be sold it will be an issue....I got that River Birch hanging over the shop dropping sheet on the daily....Drop it away from the drum requires dropping 4 more large trees....Move the drum and drop only the Birch....

Dang old BP meds ready for pick up at Wally's World....Gonna sanitize and head in....I need oil/filter for the Tacoma and some beverages and such.....Looks like the virus is gaining steam....I might wear my brake dust mask as well....Asbestos trumps covids.....Right???

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
LD, I made mine 25% vg and 75% 91% alcohol. I carry it around in some ejuice bottles that I have. Works just fine.

understood about the taxes.

Wally World in my area started limiting number of people allowed in store at one time. I did a pick up today and the line to get inside looked like Black Friday right before they open. I was very glad that I did not need to go inside.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
I think I'll avoid the Wally's, I forgot they started limiting people here, too. For some things I like Walmart better, others I prefer Aldi or Food Lion.

I'm very grateful that I'm on my fixed income, tiny as it may be...I didn't lose it. But they sure are trying to make it complicated for SSI to receive the $1200. Hope they get that IRS portal built soon, I'm not surprised they government is in no hurry to pay SSI recipients, but our disabled vets?? We are the two categories of the SSA who have to jump thru hoops :(

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Fran, that’s great news!
Bov, I love aldis for many things. Sadly I am too afraid to go in there right now.

out governor finally put us under shelter in place today if that’s what you want to call it. Not sure why he stipulated that we can go and visit with family. Smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread