OBS Crius RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
That's the main reason I go to vape shops lol. Yeah I try new juices too but... sold my Crius to a kid who only used rda's and he loves it. Gotta go Friday to one to take one of the employees my zephyrus v1. I could probably make more on the classies or letgo CL etc.... I like to think I'm teaching some of these younger folks there is much more to this "hobby" than clouds. I'm amazed at how poorly even a lot of the employees build their rda's etc since they are only concerned with clouds. I sat down for an hour last weekend helping a guy build an rta without shorting it or dry hitting with proper wicking. Anyway lol...
That's right tell them how it's done lol! Just joking, maybe, lol! Thanks! Great idea!
Yeah I'm surprised too that I know more than some VAPE shop employees, I guess cos they mainly hire kids (over 21) but still kids.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I just realized that made me sound a bit snobbish lol. I enjoy chasing clouds on occasion but for me it's about staying away from cigs. I smoked Marlboro reds and cigars for 20 years and vaping got me off of all of them. To each their own on the style of vape, as long as it's not the cancer sticks. ;)

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I just realized that made me sound a bit snobbish lol. I enjoy chasing clouds on occasion but for me it's about staying away from cigs. I smoked Marlboro reds and cigars for 20 years and vaping got me off of all of them. To each their own on the style of vape, as long as it's not the cancer sticks. ;)
Not snobbish at all. Totally with you on as long as it's not the cancer sticks. I too smoked for too many years to count.

I've found Vaping to be a great hobby as well as keeping me from smoking. & forums such as this, with great people sharing & helping each other! It's a great community!

Shofixti

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pearl of the Orient
I have a theory on the ring of juice left on the mod. I rather think it's dependent on your style of vaping. When you release the fire button at the same time you stop vaping, vaporized juice left inside the chamber does go out of the air holes and may condense on the mod. What I do is release the fire button and continue to suck out the last remaining vapor inside the chamber. It does not leave a ring of juice on the mod. Just a thought.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
And so Billow V3 came out before I even noticed.... and I really do like having a raised lip on the air holes, but otherwise it's just about identical aside from quirky new triple air holes. Crius is going real strong to a point I hardly even touch my Billow V2, so still a real solid tank despite the perspiration leaking into the air flow section and seeping through the bottom of the AFC ring.

And I'm very positive that all the little sweat on the bottom is solely due to lack of air hole lips rather than cracks in the positive insulator and whatnot.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I have a theory on the ring of juice left on the mod. I rather think it's dependent on your style of vaping. When you release the fire button at the same time you stop vaping, vaporized juice left inside the chamber does go out of the air holes and may condense on the mod. What I do is release the fire button and continue to suck out the last remaining vapor inside the chamber. It does not leave a ring of juice on the mod. Just a thought.
I'll try it. But I think on mine, if you turn the atty upside down and look it seems to be coming from between the bottom of the deck & afc seam. Example, turn upside down & turn the afc, it's the seam, it leaves a small ring in the exact same diameter.

Reactions: Shofixti

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
I'll try it. But I think on mine, if you turn the atty upside down and look it seems to be coming from between the bottom of the deck & afc seam. Example, turn upside down & turn the afc, it's the seam, it leaves a small ring in the exact same diameter.

Most likely general condensation just gets into the air flow chamber and leaks through the ring seam. Honestly not the biggest issue given the grove that does keep all that away from the pin.

Reactions: Heartsdelight
Just received my second Crius so I thought I'd bump this up. :pop:

I don't think I ever publically moaned about the first one being an awful leaker, both through the AFC ring seam and bottom too. I just kept on wiping it clean since otherwise its performance / flavour was really nice and it looks good too on almost anything.

After a couple of months (call me lazy or patient depending on how your half a glass looks) I finally pulled it apart for the first time since its initial wash, gave it a bath and this time used a surgical glove to tighten the glass section nearly beyond breaking point. I tightened the sections touching the wee o-rings together particularly slowly, just in case they had any weird and wrinkly ideas. I threw in a pair of trusty 2.4mm ca. 7 wrap spaced kanthal coils and wicked it slightly tighter than average and WTF, it still leaves a ring of juice underneath but the seeping through the AFC seam was reduced to practically nil.

The second one is now drying up after its soapy initiation rite and it actually felt more solidly built straight from the box so maybe they sorted out their manufacturing or assembly issues.

It's still my favourite dual-coil RTA though and I'm wondering if anyone was selling a PEEK (or whatever 'rubbah' they're made of) block to turn it into single-coil version?

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Just received my second Crius so I thought I'd bump this up. :pop:

I don't think I ever publically moaned about the first one being an awful leaker, both through the AFC ring seam and bottom too. I just kept on wiping it clean since otherwise its performance / flavour was really nice and it looks good too on almost anything.

After a couple of months (call me lazy or patient depending on how your half a glass looks) I finally pulled it apart for the first time since its initial wash, gave it a bath and this time used a surgical glove to tighten the glass section nearly beyond breaking point. I tightened the sections touching the wee o-rings together particularly slowly, just in case they had any weird and wrinkly ideas. I threw in a pair of trusty 2.4mm ca. 7 wrap spaced kanthal coils and wicked it slightly tighter than average and ..., it still leaves a ring of juice underneath but the seeping through the AFC seam was reduced to practically nil.

The second one is now drying up after its soapy initiation rite and it actually felt more solidly built straight from the box so maybe they sorted out their manufacturing or assembly issues.

It's still my favourite dual-coil RTA though and I'm wondering if anyone was selling a PEEK (or whatever 'rubbah' they're made of) block to turn it into single-coil version?
That seeping on your mod, it's the only thing I don't like on the RTA. I would love to turn it into a single coil with an adaptor too! Perhaps someone here has thought of something, I hope so! We've got some smarties here :D

Just an update after using the second (several months newer) Crius for a while:

Zero seeping or leaking, either underneath or above the AFC ring. It's flawless. :thumbs:

The only visual difference between the two is that in the newer the letter P above the fill hole looks ever so slightly bolder (thicker). Of course it won't be possible to inspect a shrink-wrapped product, let alone one that is ordered online, but my guess would be that in later batches the build quality is more consistant.

After my fiddling the first unit is quite tolerable but I think I'll keep that around the house while the newer seep-free one will get to see the world more. In any case most days I prefer to carry a single coil unit (like the Serpent Mini) while out of the house, due to them being more discreet clouds-wise while also being more economical on the battery and juice.

Among dual-coil atties the Crius remains my favourite though.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
1.3allen keys are a ....... to find grrrrrrr
Walmart tool aisle... about $7... all the Allens and Phillips and flats and stars...

f1139a7b9b489d7ab6b542d5d298f36d.jpg

Also on Amazon if you don't want to brave Walmart...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Just an update after using the second (several months newer) Crius for a while:

Zero seeping or leaking, either underneath or above the AFC ring. It's flawless. :thumbs:

The only visual difference between the two is that in the newer the letter P above the fill hole looks ever so slightly bolder (thicker). Of course it won't be possible to inspect a shrink-wrapped product, let alone one that is ordered online, but my guess would be that in later batches the build quality is more consistant.

After my fiddling the first unit is quite tolerable but I think I'll keep that around the house while the newer seep-free one will get to see the world more. In any case most days I prefer to carry a single coil unit (like the Serpent Mini) while out of the house, due to them being more discreet clouds-wise while also being more economical on the battery and juice.

Among dual-coil atties the Crius remains my favourite though.
Where did you buy the "newer" one? Thanks!

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer
I inserted the second 1x Crius into a friend's express bulk order from Cabin, IIRC.

The first I had ordered from a junk online shop with no aftersale service whatsoever. Mea culpa.

Both do have OBS (the manufacturer's) security stickers, the older having serial no. 0014xxx and the newer 0022xxx.

I think there are authentic replacement bases available for around $10, although I've heard clones are just as good or non-leaking at least. Although my warranty issue was with the crappy reseller, I feel OBS should have had better quality controls in place since there were number of reports of leaky bases and I wouldn't mind a working clone base at all.

Had a little mishap with my older slightly leaky Crius... As I was going out I was putting it in a side pocket of bag hanging by the door at the height of around 1.6m (ca. 1/1000th of a mile for those imperially minded) and instead it slipped straight down on the door mat and promptly separated into tank, upper base and lower base with the copper (?) pin proudly sticking out.

Trying to fit the two halves of the base back together didn't seem to work and I noticed even one of the posts was pushed several millimeters upwards. What worked was placing the base upside down against a solid wooden cutting board and pressing hard straight downwards. It looked complete again, but there was now a small amount of flex between the parts (the seam under the JFC ring) and ohm meter gave its zombie reading. Ah, giving the 510 pin a little love with a screwdriver brought it back to life and after giving it a new set of coils as well it was back in service.

Except, both the leakage from the JFC seam and through the bottom has practically stopped. It's still not as rock solid as my newer Crius, but the small amount of seeping over several days is no longer an issue.

Crius: snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. :toast:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Had a little mishap with my older slightly leaky Crius... As I was going out I was putting it in a side pocket of bag hanging by the door at the height of around 1.6m (ca. 1/1000th of a mile for those imperially minded) and instead it slipped straight down on the door mat and promptly separated into tank, upper base and lower base with the copper (?) pin proudly sticking out.

Trying to fit the two halves of the base back together didn't seem to work and I noticed even one of the posts was pushed several millimeters upwards. What worked was placing the base upside down against a solid wooden cutting board and pressing hard straight downwards. It looked complete again, but there was now a small amount of flex between the parts (the seam under the JFC ring) and ohm meter gave its zombie reading. Ah, giving the 510 pin a little love with a screwdriver brought it back to life and after giving it a new set of coils as well it was back in service.

Except, both the leakage from the JFC seam and through the bottom has practically stopped. It's still not as rock solid as my newer Crius, but the small amount of seeping over several days is no longer an issue.

Crius: snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. :toast:
Wow that's fantastic! A mishap turned into a fix!

Joe KY

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Kentucky
Posted this picture in the VT133 thread and had a question about the Crius. Had to go look and see who I bought it from and while I was at their site (WetVapes) I saw they have these on sale. I love my Crius tanks, I've got all four flavors. Anyway, it's on sale for $14.99! What a great price, and as I said in the other thread it's supposed to be a limited edition, FWIW. Just thought ya all might want to know.

By the way, this is my 4th of July mod. The Spatter: Red, White, & Blue.

20160630_095714.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread