Odd issues vaping outside and Q about a Mod for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Ok a very odd issue I'm having. Been vaping constantly for about a week now. Off the ciggs totally. When I first tried vaping I had a cheap ego knock off thingy with 6 mg juice. It just didn't work for me. So I decided to do a lot more research ( from here) and I visited a local shop. I ended up getting a itaste VV 3.0 with a Kanger unitank ( they didn't have the protank 2, but I have one on order). I also got Vader Pudding 24 mg. Bingo, exactly what I needed. Throat hit is what I needed and the flavour was perfect. Since then I haven't looked back and totally prefer it to smoking. However, I have a really really odd issue that I can't figure out. Inside my house, or indoors anywhere I get a perfect vape. Sometimes I have to play around with the wattage at 8.5 to 10 depending on my mood, as well It had a 2.2 ohm coil in there and it wasn't working for me so I added the 1.8. Ok things are good. The odd thing is whenever I go outside I get a pretty nasty vape. Not burned taste, just a dry scratchy vape on exhale. The temps here have been around 8c ( 45 F). As soon as I go back inside in room temperature I get a nice smooth vape, back outside, it sucks. I got it somewhat ok by dropping the wattage way down to 7. The odd thing is in the afternoon sitting in the sun when temps hit around 15c (60F) it got a bit smoother. Still have to keep the wattage low to make it smooth but lose some throat hit. It just seems so odd to me. I even tried my old cheapo one and the same effect. I only have two juices right now ( more on order). Has anyone else experienced this?

As well I'm looking for a mod ( this whole thing is addictive!) Still new to all this and checking mods. What I'm looking for is a mod that is of medium size that can take a 18500 ( think that's the midsize battery), variable wattage a must and will take a bottom coil clearomizer, preferably my kangers ( they just seem to work well for me for ease of use, for right now anyway). And above all look damn cool. I was looking at the "show your setup" thread and was overwhelmed with all the choices. Some pretty cool looking tanks too. Wouldn't mind a suggestion on some cool looking and performing clearomizer tanks too.

Sorry for the long post!

dustinmj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
Sounds like you're not wicking well when the juice gets colder. The dry(er) wick could be causing the harshness.

If it were me I'd try removing the extra wick ( 'flavor wick' ) from the head and see if that clears up your problem. Just pop the top of the head itself and take off the wick that's sitting there then reassemble.

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Sounds like you're not wicking well when the juice gets colder. The dry(er) wick could be causing the harshness.

If it were me I'd try removing the extra wick ( 'flavor wick' ) from the head and see if that clears up your problem. Just pop the top of the head itself and take off the wick that's sitting there then reassemble.

Well that makes perfect sense. I will give that a go. Thanks!

pelton54

Moved On
Oct 16, 2013

This worked for me on my protank mini....I guess the cold weather was making my liquids just a little to thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
This worked for me on my protank mini....I guess the cold weather was making my liquids just a little to thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So I tried removing a wick, it sure helped the performance of the Unitank inside but didn't change anything when using it outside, maybe a tad better but not much. I'm supposed to remove one of the two wicks not both correct? I even got a Protank II yesterday and tried it and still the same results, although I have not tried removing a wick on the protank II yet. It's definitely related to the cold because when I sat outside at lunch time with the sun shining and it's warmer out, I get smooth vapes.

Pelton54

So you had the same issue with vaping outside? As it stands now it's night and day. Inside vaping is sublime and I prefer it to smoking. It's great! Outside it's useless, I simply can't enjoy vaping outside. It burns and scratches my throat. This is REALLY annoying me.

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
z-max or zmax mini would both be good choices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the Sigelei Telescoping ZMax V3. It's perfect for what I want. The only thing stopping me so far is the one button for menu control. I watched a video of how the menus work and I think the one button would drive me nuts. My Itaste VV/VW v3.0 has two buttons and makes adjusting watts on the fly quick and simple. The one button seems like it would be so tedious to use. Aside from that it's perfect. If I could find the exact same thing with two buttons I would get it. I have seen a few but they don't look like what I want. I like the design of the Sigelei!

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
There's a lot of variables in play moving from indoors to outdoors. If your gear is working as desired indoors then clearly it's more environmental issues outdoors.

Air movement (wind) definitely effects vapor production I've found... or it just disperses it quicker. Then there's relative humidity which could be a culprit and temperature.

Since you can't control the external environment... then you may have to experiment with how you draw... hard, fast, slow, etc... Keep the carto/tank/atty in a pocket and near your body heat to ensure it doesn't get too cold. Or worst case... Go purchase some cheap clone tanks, clearos, etc... via Fast Tech or where ever and see if you can find something that works best in the wild...

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Okay, just to say yes ambient temperature can affect liquids dramatically, I use Kanger tanks, and at the start of the summer here in the desert, noticed my tanks would leak the moment I stepped outside, 100+ F desert conditions, A) pressure in the tank and B) Viscocity of the liquid so double whammy. If indoors the liquid is not leaking onto the battery connection, then no, do not remove the extra wick, you will flood in all conditions, I'd only remove both wicks if you were 30 PG (Propylene Glycol - the thinner base transport used in e-liquid) 70 VG (Vegatable Glycerin - the thicker compound used to make e-liquid) to 100% VG. So my recommendation, 1) get yourself a dripping atomizer with a drip tip for when outside, 3-5 drops in a basic 510 drip atty will give about 8-10 puffs before needing more drops, will not be affected by the ambient temperature as much, or 2) get a couple cartomizers for when you go outside, these can hold about a 1 mil or about 25-35 drops of e-liquid before needing refilling, and will last about a couple weeks if you keep the filler material wet and don't let it dry out or run dry, moment you get a scorched hit, the polyfill is toast and the rest of the liquid will taste scoreched from then on, or 3) Use 2 tanks with 2 different heads one for outside in the cold with both flavor wicks removed and 1 of inside with only 1 removed or neither removed, or 4) see if a 70PG/30VG mix will work better for you in the cold.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Innokin iTaste MVP-v2 I love this mod. Comfortable to hold, pocketable, lightweight yet durably built. Built-in battery lasts 2 - 3 days, passthru ability. Two button control. Variable voltage/wattage.

MVP_in_hand.jpg

Segelei or Smoktech Mini ZMax I've never owned or used one, but it has the requirements you have except it has a 1 button control..

Segelei ZMax Mini.JPG

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Okay, just to say yes ambient temperature can affect liquids dramatically, I use Kanger tanks, and at the start of the summer here in the desert, noticed my tanks would leak the moment I stepped outside, 100+ F desert conditions, A) pressure in the tank and B) Viscocity of the liquid so double whammy. If indoors the liquid is not leaking onto the battery connection, then no, do not remove the extra wick, you will flood in all conditions, I'd only remove both wicks if you were 30 PG (Propylene Glycol - the thinner base transport used in e-liquid) 70 VG (Vegatable Glycerin - the thicker compound used to make e-liquid) to 100% VG. So my recommendation, 1) get yourself a dripping atomizer with a drip tip for when outside, 3-5 drops in a basic 510 drip atty will give about 8-10 puffs before needing more drops, will not be affected by the ambient temperature as much, or 2) get a couple cartomizers for when you go outside, these can hold about a 1 mil or about 25-35 drops of e-liquid before needing refilling, and will last about a couple weeks if you keep the filler material wet and don't let it dry out or run dry, moment you get a scorched hit, the polyfill is toast and the rest of the liquid will taste scoreched from then on, or 3) Use 2 tanks with 2 different heads one for outside in the cold with both flavor wicks removed and 1 of inside with only 1 removed or neither removed, or 4) see if a 70PG/30VG mix will work better for you in the cold.

Thanks! Great suggestions. I'm using 50/50 mix right now so maybe I will try 70/30 and see. The dripper is an interesting idea. Is it just a dripper top piece that I need? It can go right onto my itaste VV or now coming in the mail Segelei zmax :)

I do have a spare tank so I'm going to remove both the wicks in it and use it just for outside and see how it fairs. I did go outside just now at lunch and made a concerted effort to hold my protank II in my hand the whole time to keep the juice warm, it was a big difference. It seemed to work. So it's not the cold air coming through when I pull but the juice getting too thick due to cold temps. Great suggestions. I will let you know how I make out.

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Innokin iTaste MVP-v2 I love this mod. Comfortable to hold, pocketable, lightweight yet durably built. Built-in battery lasts 2 - 3 days, passthru ability. Two button control. Variable voltage/wattage.

View attachment 263236

Segelei or Smoktech Mini ZMax I've never owned or used one, but it has the requirements you have except it has a 1 button control..

View attachment 263237

I ended up going with the Segelei Zmax telescopic flat. I will hate the one button but it has everything else I want and the looks I want, got a good price too. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread