Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
A sealed center post will reduce the potential for leaking. If you're a heavy dripper they're going to leak anyway by way of the air holes in the threads, this is not the case with the .357. The seal design reduces the potential for leaking whether the center post is sealed or not. The sealed posts on the first run were machined a few thousands of an inch longer than standard center posts, the potential issue was if someone wrenched their atomizer down it could possibly push the center post up far enough to put pressure on the wiring and break the vacuum seal. The issue has been eliminated by modifying the assembly, the seal design is still exactly the same, just a slight modification with the wire routing.

I don't ever see a need to dry burn an atomizer, after a good cleaning I will pump the fire button to make sure the atomizer will heat up evenly but I won't fire the atomizer to the point that the entire coil is glowing orange. By pumping the button you can get a pretty good idea of how even the coil is heating up. If you feel the need to dry burn an atomizer because of excessive carbon build up then you're not cleaning them often enough. When a coil reaches its orange glow its hot enough to char or burn the wicking material its wrapped around. Why would you purposely want to burn your wicking material? burnt wicking does not wick juice very well.
A good cleaning with Ethanol (everclear) will keep the coil clean and also remove any build up from the atomizer in general, I would never use water. When the metal wicking materiel starts to get gunked up with coagulated juice it can no longer hold the same amount of juice as when it was new, it will start leaking. How often you should clean your atomizer will be different for everyone and depend on two things, How much liquid you vape and what juice you vape. It has nothing to do with how often you vape, it's how much liquid you vape. Heavy juices, dark juices, High VG juices and more importantly juices with high sugar content are going to clog up an atomizer pretty fast.

Thank you for your detailed answers! Regarding dryburning, I wasn't sure if that was your position on the procedure in general or if it was specific to this atty for different reasons. All clear.

A couple of more questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. I prime my brand new 306 and 510 atties by placing a carto condom on the bottom of the atty and adding liquid until it reaches the bridge (usually 12-14 drops). I let the atty sit like that for a few minutes to make sure everything is soaked up nicely. Then I turn the atty over for a couple of minutes and let the excess liquid run out, and vape away. Are there any reasons why I should not do this with the HH atty?

2. I don't have much experience with "de-bridged" atties. What's the best way use the HH? Is it better to add drops directly onto the coil or is it better to drip down the side of the tube at an agle to reach the mesh first?

Again, TIA.

ksmith

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
Colcord, Oklahoma
I have been patiently watching "the other two treads" while trying to decide what I wanted to do. After reading this tread, I think my decision might be getting easier. I would like to thank both Crisco and Hanna for their clear and direct answers to the questions posed here. I will be ordering a couple of the open center post atties when they become available.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Yes, yes... I really appreciated how Cisco responded to me privately regarding an incident elsewhere. It was quite refreshing. And it does help build confidence.

Hanna's answers here do as well.

I will always hope that the pricier investment pays off. At the moment I'm satisfied, fairly well satisfied, with the other option. It seems some people are flat-out blown away in comparison. I'll always hope for that reaction when I get my grubby fingers on the HH. -Magnus

H_Bomb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Orleans, MA USA
www.avidvaper.com
Thank you for your detailed answers! Regarding dryburning, I wasn't sure if that was your position on the procedure in general or if it was specific to this atty for different reasons. All clear.

A couple of more questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. I prime my brand new 306 and 510 atties by placing a carto condom on the bottom of the atty and adding liquid until it reaches the bridge (usually 12-14 drops). I let the atty sit like that for a few minutes to make sure everything is soaked up nicely. Then I turn the atty over for a couple of minutes and let the excess liquid run out, and vape away. Are there any reasons why I should not do this with the HH atty?

2. I don't have much experience with "de-bridged" atties. What's the best way use the HH? Is it better to add drops directly onto the coil or is it better to drip down the side of the tube at an agle to reach the mesh first?

Again, TIA.

Good question! Don't fill from bottom. Fill with about 6 drops when completely empty.
Best way to fill:

6 drops or ontil crackling gurgle when drawn with no power

Best when dripped dirrectly on coil.

H_Bomb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Orleans, MA USA
www.avidvaper.com
Thank you Cisco and Hanna for your attention to all the questions and for your incredibly detailed and helpful answers.

Hanna, are you finding that you're able to pump these out faster as you become more accustomed to the process? Just curious.

:toast:

Yeah I mean if I can get a rythm going then I get a little faster but there are some parts that just take a long time because of the precision involved, waiting for stuff to dry, measuring testing etc.

H_Bomb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Orleans, MA USA
www.avidvaper.com
I'll pre-pay if I'm assured a spot for two of the open-posted HHs at 1.5ohms (or better at 2.0ohms if that is a new development).

The shopping cart rogue be damned! ;-) -Magnus

That's wild that they were literaly in the cart and then gone....I would be ...... lol
The best I can do magnus is if you guys shoot me an email I can contact you as soon as cisco has em.

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
also at night when we sleep...is it preferable to keep the atty dry by blowing out all the juice? or keep a couple clean drops.in there?

Personally I wouldn't blow them out, the more juice that sits inside the atomizer the less chance of it drying out and getting gummy. If anything you could blow them out prior to your first use for the day. If you have an atomizer that you might not be using for a while it is best to put it in a small sealed zip lock, keeps them from drying out unless you spend the time to clean them.

Cisco...

Last edited:

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
Personally I wouldn't blow them out, the more juice that sits inside the atomizer the less chance of it drying out and getting gummy. If anything you could blow them out prior to your first use for the day. If you have an atomizer that you might not be using for a while it is best to put it in a small sealed zip lock, keeps them from drying out unless you spend the time to clean them.

Cisco...

thx for the reply. just bought some pure pg and vg to put in my atties overnight.

sluers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Shrewsbury, PA
I don't know if this is the correct way, but after I clean out my atty's (by soaking them in everclear), I blow them out and put several drops of PG in them and shake out the access. I started vaping in Oct 2010 and I have only had 2 atty's die on me. Nothing lasts for ever, but I feel that if you take care of your devices, do regular preventive maintenance, and don't push them past their limits, they will last longer and preform better. I try to use only 80 PG/20 VG mix, stay away from dark colored juices, and super sweet juices. When I notice that my flavor and vapor is changing, it's time to clean them. I'm not an expert, but this is what works for me.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
@Cisco or Hanna

A question regarding daily maintenance. I clean my atties once or twice a day by blowing the juice out from the battery end with a tissue rolled up inside the atty and pressed against the bridge. This obviously pulls out a lot more dirty juice than just blowing out the atty. I suspect that this way of cleaning could potentially damage the HH atty since the coil is exposed. Would you advise against anything, even a tissue, making contact with the coil or is this potential issue insignificant? Thanks.

H_Bomb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Orleans, MA USA
www.avidvaper.com
Hanna you are a genius! Your HH .357 atomizer has taken my vaping journey to a whole new level of enjoyment. I am still rocking the same one since Wednesday morning at 10AM. I followed the instructions that come with the .357 (and posted on AvidVapers website), blew the primer out and dripped four drops of juice in the atty. I took one cold draw to circulate the juice. My first sip was a mind blower. Wonderful taste/flavor, good TH, and clouds and clouds of vapor. The only time I had an issue with juice leaking out of the air holes is when I went to drip juice in the atty that had a drip tip where the juice flowed out instead of dripping. To top up the most I drip is 2 - 3 drops.

This morning I was drinking my coffee, reading the paper, and vaping. My 17 year old daughter was eating breakfast and patiently waiting for her first opportunity of the day to complain about something. After one of my exhales my daughter said "Mom, can you watch that stuff, your going to set off the smoke detector"! All I could say in response was "I know, I think its wonderful"! Life is good!

Lol that's awesome. Can't wait to see you at the york meet up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread