Official Squape R[eloaded] thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2015
London
Sorry to post yet again! I just wanted to ask one question for the Squapers. Is there any functional advantage to the aluminum tank? any change in taste or flavor profile due to the aluminum vs steel? or is this purely a benefit in terms of form and aesthetics? At the least, reduced weight of aluminum is a functional advantage, though I don't know that the lesser weight in the pocket would be that noticeable unless one's mod itself is very light, and I'm worried the aluminum would deform badly if dropped. Also unclear to me if aluminum vs steel is a more safe material in terms of leaching or anything like that. Still, I'm considering an aluminum tank to go with my aluminum black flask (with steel bottom) though I kind of like the two tone look, and had a thought that it might look too long and plain if all black. Thoughts on the aluminum vs steel tanks?

Wash or bathe it in 100% alcohol and it's all good. Steel or ALU, most tanks use steel. Keeping things clean is more important. Taste wise, my opinion little difference. Got a bellcap and still tastes the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: showman

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Thanks! I actually haven't had the leaking issues with the B deck recently (knock on wood). I did have them when I first started squaping. Not fully sure what to attribute the change to, but it may have to do with the fact that I've started to use ceramic wick (readyXwick brand, medium 2.7 mm size) instead of cotton, a great improvement which I would strongly recommend if you don't like re-wicking often.

I did try my W deck again the other day and thought it was very harsh compared to the B-deck, though it did seem to hit harder, so perhaps that's what people are preferring from it. I should also note that I have had just as many difficulties originally with leaks from the W deck as the B deck, and find that either will leak depending on the setup, but either can be completely leak-less depending on the setup.

I'm generally using 15-20 watts on a Vapor Flask SX, with Titanium grade 1 coils, and have been messing around with different gauges of titanium from 22-26 or so, and am still trying to tweak to get these just right. I have typically been using the 2.5 mm or 3 mm coiler, mainly because the thicker medium readyXwick is more hardy than the super thin wick for micro-coils, though I'd be curious to see how they work. I do have a nice bulk order of 20 gauge titanium coming in from Lightning Vape this week and I look forward to trying that very soon, which I think will be an improvement based on the calculations on the coil site.

Due to some mild paranoia about high temperature vaping, I've been keeping temp quite low, generally as low as I can get away with and still keep the thing running smoothly. Presently I'm working with 320-330 farenheit usually, though sometimes I've experimented with temps as low as 270 or as high as 390. I use either the smallest or next to smallest air hole usually to save my lungs. I always use 100 percent VG juice, typically 24 mg/ML, and have been using a Natural coffee flavor, though I just ordered some unflavored to try, figuring I can always order flavor to mix with later if I don't enjoy vaping the pure nicotine base.

I would be very curious to hear more experiences generally on using the Squape for temp control. I am particularly interested to know if anyone else is using the Squape with either of the materials I am using here, Grade 1 Titanium wire instead of the usual Nickel, or ceramic wicks instead of cotton (probably the biggest advantage of these wicks is that they last a long time, easily a month and some use them for 6 months or more with dry-burning or torching them clean.)I do have some Nickel I've never used so perhaps I'll try a nickel build at some point, but I have long had familiarity with vaping with titanium from other vaporizing pursuits that shall not be named (and which use much higher temps), so it seemed a natural choice for me, and the coils are extremely long-lasting I have found. All in all, the Squape has been a godsend for someone who nearly gave up on rebuildables after several torturous weeks trying to build a 60 puzzle part Kayfun, and then a minuscule Chalice that was similarly impossible to build. The Squape was buildable for me onthe first day, and was almost as easy as installing pre-made coils into a cheap throwaway atomizer.

If possible can we have a look at your ceramic wick setup ?

Reactions: showman

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
If possible can we have a look at your ceramic wick setup ?

Been trying, but photo won't post because it's too large. I'll try back later. But the basic idea is the same, stuff the main wick straight through the hole, and then place two other wicks in a curved shape to cover the bottom. Reading through most of this thread tonight, I noticed a couple others mention using the ceramic wick in a squape, but using cotton for the bottom channels. While you can try this, I have not, and it seems to me it would defeat the purpose of not using cotton, which is a wick which can last at least as long as your coils. Though the readyXwick does seem expensive, it can always be cleaned and re-used until it breaks, so I'm not sure it actually costs more than cotton to use, which in my experience has to be changed daily. I haven't done the math though. I'll try to post pics later.

nevillebartos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Vic, Aus
Sorry to post yet again! I just wanted to ask one question for the Squapers. Is there any functional advantage to the aluminum tank? any change in taste or flavor profile due to the aluminum vs steel? or is this purely a benefit in terms of form and aesthetics? At the least, reduced weight of aluminum is a functional advantage, though I don't know that the lesser weight in the pocket would be that noticeable unless one's mod itself is very light, and I'm worried the aluminum would deform badly if dropped. Also unclear to me if aluminum vs steel is a more safe material in terms of leaching or anything like that. Still, I'm considering an aluminum tank to go with my aluminum black flask (with steel bottom) though I kind of like the two tone look, and had a thought that it might look too long and plain if all black. Thoughts on the aluminum vs steel tanks?

Aluminium is used so often in everyday food and beverage packaging / preparation that I have no concerns regarding safety, if it is unsafe then i'm a goner anyway. SS is awesome stuff and I'd take it over alu whenever weight isn't the priority. I've found neither to impact the taste of anything, except beer out of alu cans tastes rubbish for some reason. My opinion with these tanks is it's much of a muchness, just get the colour you like, I run the standard SS tanks on the R and Rs, I prettied up the R with the copper AF ring.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Back in the Squape game! It's been long enough since I sold my SqR that I had to roll back in the thread to get a refresher on B deck wicking. I've been squonking almost exclusively for quite awhile but dearly missed my SqR. So, I bought a Squape Rs with W and B decks and a Radius to put it on. Can't wait to build it this evening. It's like reuniting with an old friend.

y9B1fJ6.jpg

nevillebartos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Vic, Aus

you end up trying any of those? with the pin not springing in my connector anymore I have to have the squape pin wound out so far that the ring on it no longer makes a seal, would like to fix that up for the odd ocassion that a leak occurs

h4ilthethief

Verified Member
May 11, 2012
South Florida
Hey all,

I decided to pick up a squape r on a whim 3 days ago. I had bought a kayfun mini v3 and decided that I wanted to try more RTAs. I tried a few builds on the w deck and kept getting 0 flavor. I switched over to the B deck and I am having the same problem. I have been using a 26ga kanthal build 2.5 or 3 mm ID and generally coming to 1-1.2 ohms. I'm running it between 13-20 watts and no matter what I do, I get the same no flavor taste. Any suggestions?[/S]

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hey all,

I decided to pick up a squape r on a whim 3 days ago. I had bought a kayfun mini v3 and decided that I wanted to try more RTAs. I tried a few builds on the w deck and kept getting 0 flavor. I switched over to the B deck and I am having the same problem. I have been using a 26ga kanthal build 2.5 or 3 mm ID and generally coming to 1-1.2 ohms. I'm running it between 13-20 watts and no matter what I do, I get the same no flavor taste. Any suggestions?[/S]
MMMMM, I get great flavor from mine. I keep the build around 1 ohm. I've got the w, b and d deck. All of them produce great flavor.

Just checking but do you have an Authentic or a Clone?

Also I stick with 30 or 32 gauge

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
Hey all,

Something is not right. I get great flavor from my 2 Squapes. I use 28ga kanthal wrapped on a 3mm rod and throw some cotton in and it has great flavor. I build my coils about 1.2 -1.4 and vape around 13.5 watts.

h4ilthethief

Verified Member
May 11, 2012
South Florida
MMMMM, I get great flavor from mine. I keep the build around 1 ohm. I've got the w, b and d deck. All of them produce great flavor.

Just checking but do you have an Authentic or a Clone?

Also I stick with 30 or 32 gauge

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Authentic. What wattage are you running at?

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
hi guys..found someone selling an authentic squape rs. How to i verify the authenticity? i have seen reviews of clones with the exact same packaging, box, manuals and all..

You can write to the maker and show them a picture and ask them to authenticate it for you before you buy it. Are they selling it really cheap? Is the person trustworthy? Also if you decide to buy it have him/her write up something stating it's authentic and sign it. so if it turns out it's not you can maybe do something about it. just my 2 cents

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hello everyone. I was wondering if the B deck affects flavor and if so, why? I am trying to get more flavor out of it. Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the D deck? Sorry for the dumb questions. I am a total Squape newbie

Me it's one half dozen or the other, it's just different building IMO. The D deck is for dual coils, personally I do believe since it's more surface area there maybe a bit more flavor. The B deck you pack more cotton in and also more room for larger "single" coil.

Biggest impact for flavor for me has been using fused claptons, I make 32x2/36 fused clapton wire and there is a noticeable improvement in flavor.

Been using the method I saw on Grimm Green's youtube to make my Clapton's, works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread