Status
Not open for further replies.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
My response never did say anything about nicotine being "addictive"... you're not understanding my point. I said "There is no clear definition of addiction". When you say "I can't site any study concluding that nicotine BY ITSELF is addictive at all" I am simply stating that there is no clear definition of addiction. What I said in my post, is there's MORE THAN NICOTINE in the smoking ritual. Nicotine supports that ritual and fosters it. I would wholeheartedly agree that nicotine in itself is not addictive. But the brain is not as simple as that, and nicotine affects the brain... Nicotine caused other habbits.. so... does that classify it as addictive? or is it a chemical that leads to addiction even though it, in itself, is not addictive?
In fact you cannot find any evidence that nicotine, delivered by itself and without tobacco, causes any dependence at all, no matter how you define dependence or addiction. There are millions of never smoking vapers now, but no reports of dependence at all.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
In fact you cannot find any evidence that nicotine, delivered by itself and without tobacco, causes any dependence at all, no matter how you define dependence or addiction. There are millions of never smoking vapers now, but no reports of dependence at all.
I think the issue is, not so much is nicotine addictive, as it is, is nicotine on its own, harmful. From what I have found, it is no more harmful than caffeine in a cup of coffee. Also, there may be millions of new vapers that never smoked, but I suspect they are using 0mg ejuice, for the social and competitive aspects (like chewing gum, hanging out at the store drinking cola, and vape tricks and cloud chasing). The only difference is, now new vapers can participate, where as before you couldn't hang with a group of your smoking friends. Historically speaking, chances are that if these new vapers didn't start vaping, they would have started something else. Either smoking tobacco or herbs, or drinking, or something involving a plastic bag and battery cables. LOL. There is always something to try, and always somebody to try it. The bigger focus, should be on cigarette smokers coming off tobacco and non-smokers never starting tobacco. Meaning, the decrease in number of new smokers every year vs the increase in new vapers every year.

Personally speaking, I dont HAVE to HAVE a vape every 20 minutes. I don't sit on my computer and chain vape from my RDA, where as before, I would smoke 20 cigarettes a night while playing Warcraft. Now I don't.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
.... Also, there may be millions of new vapers that never smoked, but I suspect they are using 0mg ejuice, ...
In fact available surveys suggest roughly 50% of youth never smoking vapers do use nicotine. That is the same number given to me when I recently asked a couple of just graduated seniors of a high school with an inordinately large number of vapers. They also reported smoking rates between 1-5% in their school. They also suggested no evidence of dependence on vaping. Anecdotal of course but completely in line with the real science (which they were totally unaware of)

Last edited:

Dave M

Mar 27, 2016
Worcester,MA
Yep. 45 billion per 5 years if 9 million vape and do not spend $1,000 per year on tobacco product. One billion per 1 million vapers not spending $1,000 per yr on tobacco. I been learning to doodle with numbers a little better. Also been double checking with others. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. The box though has all kinds of brightness so, i help average it out. :)
Try over 6 Grand per person per year. That is the math I did. But keep in mind cigarettes are expensive here in Mass

bigdogsam

Jun 11, 2016
And that was what I had suggested before, $1,000 a year per each smoker. At 9 million that's 9 billion a year lost. Multiply that for five years & you get 45 billion lost in 5 years.

@Dave M suggested the $6,000 a year figure. I met in the middle at $3,500 a year. Either way I still see it as a metric poop ton of money that fits as a clear motive.
Thanks for the new unit of measure :)

And I agree, mucho metric poop ton :)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014

I would vote if it actually did anything. It ought to be clear with the way this year's primaries went, this one had all the votes they need but the other one got it because they got some super pac vote and the votes of the people didn't make a hill of beans. Why bother voting if our vote no longer matters, if it ever did?

We could vote using our money but in truth it's their money anyway. That won't matter either, they'll add more zeros to their accounts when their funds get low. I would say we could not be labor for them but it is clear automation makes that moot as well. Ultimately, they have no further need of us, the people. What frightens them is we outnumber them.

Although, I'm sure soon enough we'll start seeing vast epidemics be all the rave. Years on they'll look back and find the microbes, bacteria, viruses that caused the epidemics were unloaded from some biological warfare agency under this or that government's care at behest of some one with over trillions or their billionaire minions. I dislike seeing such dystopia visions yet it is what it is, all you need to do is go look up some daily media reading.

Please comprehend, I'm not frightened of it in the least. I am either too nuts, too courageous, too dumb, too stubborn or a combination of these in good measure, or maybe I've a few aces in hand? ;) Excuse me, off to try having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread