Officials report biggest fall in adult smoking in decades

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I think they may well be in for a surprise as there will be many what do not return to tobacco. These not returning will also lobby and rally diligently against tobacco as well. This will create a further entrenched back lash the likes of which I doubt tobacco, pharmaceutical, medical, insurance industries here in America will ever hope to see recovery. They have already lost the war, long before the now of vaping too. It was lost when they decided to profit from death.

To clarify and to head off anyone putting words in my mouth. I'm not saying those who tend to the business of caring for the dead, as in funerals and the like ought not be granted some profit. I think perhaps if they were honest they could see clear to not take as much profit. Still, I'm not saying they should not be granted a proper wage for doing a service. My point above was discussing another form of person that profits on/from death.

I originally passed this up...but started thinking....

We can't label it as a smoking cessation device... it has not been proven to be so...
However, "vaping may lead to smoking." is the reason it's getting treated like a tobacco product and banned... it has not been proven so...

So, if it hasn't been proven to lead people to smoking, which hasn't been substantiated yet, then that's the same as giving someone a speeding ticket for driving a Mustang or Corvette... because they THINK it MIGHT.....

Condemning something before any adverse harm has been proven.... that's just a wtich hunt in my eyes.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I originally passed this up...but started thinking....

We can't label it as a smoking cessation device... it has not been proven to be so...
However, "vaping may lead to smoking." is the reason it's getting treated like a tobacco product and banned... it has not been proven so...

So, if it hasn't been proven to lead people to smoking, which hasn't been substantiated yet, then that's the same as giving someone a speeding ticket for driving a Mustang or Corvette... because they THINK it MIGHT.....

Condemning something before any adverse harm has been proven.... that's just a wtich hunt in my eyes.

Yes it is a clear double standard. Vaping cannot be labeled as smoking cessation, not been proven to be. Yet the government agency responsible to attempting banning it, may call it a gateway product, when it has not been prove to be. This does not function for either side of the argument. Ergo, it cannot be just. Just requires a solution functioning for both sides of an argument.

Hunting witches again? I'll let mine know. She'll have to create some disguising spells. Love her too much to expect her not to practice. Still rather not see her burnt at the stake. Of course, I'm sure our dogs would literally sing out to alert us. Their howls can be quite eerie in the dark.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I recently did, a Match 10 starter kit. I may pull out the polyfill in the cartos for it, insert fresh, refill with my own juice. I enjoy the conveince alone of a very small vaping unit. It may serve me as just a outing vape. May buy a spare battery of theirs, reuse the cartos I got in the kit. Heck, got it as $1 sale cupon. "Here try this for a buck." I rather enjoy my mods but could see a king sized cig-a-like as handy from time to time.

Did not need to pull the filler out. Those folks may have thought themselves clever. A rubber grommet sets in atop the filler. I was attempting to pull the filler out & found it. Figure an empty syringe can blow out the stock juice. Then, you put your own into the filler. It is an okay way to make a little vapor. As I said, it might be used as a run about, small, easy to shove in a pocket without excessive concern.

Still like my RSST, or possibly a bottom feed RDA on a bottom feed mod. Thinking direct lung hits are my sweet spot. Not so much that I am into massive clouds, as much as it is just what I feel comfortable vaping. To me it feels more naturally like smoking than using a cig-a-like, or even evod style tanks now.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
They keep going on and on about teenagers possibly getting addicted to nicotine and then progressing on to cigarettes. That's not how I see it. I think the ones who might go on to use burning tobacco do so because they just want to smoke and e-cigs are way too fiddly. I liked the actions of smoking early on, before I was really hooked, and I doubt I would have put up with the maintenance of e-cigs. Even after almost three years of being free of tobacco, I still resent the time-consuming aspects of vaping. It was much easier to light, smoke, and toss the .....

It's also really silly in my opinion to think they can absolutely prevent an underage person from getting their hands on an e-cig if that person really wants one. Kids always have older friends or family members that can get it for them. Do they think teens never drink? And I can guarantee there are a multitude of teens in this country right now who smoke the "other stuff", many more of those than some who are using e-cigs. Get real, bureaucrats, can you even think?

Hmm. I am of the exact opposite opinion. Load up the e-cig in the morning, carry it all day in a pocket, never have to fish out a smoke and drop it on the wet grass, never have to find a corner out of the wind to light it.. never have to light a new one because my last one burned away in the ashtray (yeah, you all know what i mean... lol) Plus that i rolled my own from a kit, to save $$$. I swear, some day they are going to sell a pack of 25 butts and ashes for computer users... just to save time.

I also play World of Warcraft, and that fast button press and puff is farrrrrrrrr better than having to stop and roll or light a ciggy, with a bunch of stuff trying to make you dead.

As far as the "other stuff", the nay-sayers have been decrying for years about cigarettes being a gateway to try "other stuff" which is supposedly a gateway to stronger "other stuff" and vice-versa. Saying smoking other stuff leads to smoking tobacco. Thankfully, people today, including young people, are doing their own research before making a decision. I'm not saying it is always the right decision, but at least they are personally thinking rather than just following the crowds.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin (R) recently used his authority as chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs to demand answers from the FDA as to why they are going after the vaping industry. The FDA has until May 31 to provide answers: The request is a good read:

Senator Forces FDA to Explain Itself Over Harsh E-Cigarette Regulations

It would be interesting to hear if the FDA has responded to this request which was due May 31st... If so, what were their responses and what is the Senate Committee going to do with the information..?

Steve Tob.

Jun 4, 2016
They keep going on and on about teenagers possibly getting addicted to nicotine and then progressing on to cigarettes. That's not how I see it. I think the ones who might go on to use burning tobacco do so because they just want to smoke and e-cigs are way too fiddly. I liked the actions of smoking early on, before I was really hooked, and I doubt I would have put up with the maintenance of e-cigs. Even after almost three years of being free of tobacco, I still resent the time-consuming aspects of vaping. It was much easier to light, smoke, and toss the .....

I totally and wholeheartedly agree, yes Vaping is time consuming, to me that has been a good thing and has ba came a hobby that in itself helps keep my mind away from picking up another cigarette. For an under aged new vaper this would be a pain, it would be much easier to buy a pack of cigarettes. For an adult giving up the initial setup for a decent battery and tank would be about the same as 1-2 cartons of smokes, I myself quickly moved to DIY juices and that was another outlay, so far about $400, but I don't like to do things by halves. I also have a rebuildable RTA and build my own coils.

Anyway getting back to the point the political agenda I feel isn't about the real issue of Vaping being a safe alternative to smoking. Even though you can't get cancer or heart disease from Vaping, or the fact it poses no second hand smoke dangers, or less litter caused by no cigarette butts all over the ground, it comes down to the much higher taxes that governments make of cigarettes. In the past decade there has been the largest drop of adult smokers which means the governments around the world are really feeling the pinch. Here in Australia, sales tax is currently 10% whereas taxes on cigarettes are as high as 75%, a drop of 20% of adult smokers results in huge losses for governments and this is why they are coming down on the Vaping movement. It is and never been about health nor has it ever been about their worry about teenagers Vaping then smoking. After enjoying a good vape fluid and a variety of pleasant smooth flavours, the closest I came to that as a smoker was when I smoked a pipe, i won't be going back there, I'm healthier than I have ever been since I started being a hardcore smoker at 16, I'm now 48.

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016

I have used vaping to stop smoking, so for me its a smoking cessation device.

The smell of cigarette smoke now repels me, so Im not sure where they get the argument that vaping leads to smoking....just unsubstantiated BS theyve made up. Like saying [Other Stuff] leads to [Worse Other Stuff] addiction.

Now, when I smell cigarette smoke, I want to remove myself from its path...so I won't be going back even if I dont have any vape gear at hand. Ive seen the way things should be, so smoking analogs now is a step backwards for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lwswing

Jun 5, 2016
Let's just call a spade a spade here! The federal government is loosing over a billion dollars a year in revenue in cigarette tax because people are switching to vapor over cigarettes. If they were still making their money they wouldn't be attacking as hard as they are.you look at study after study and depending on who it's done for the findings go opposite ways. Government study the worst thing ever, independent study one of the best things ever. It's a shame the federal government is going to kill a billion dollar industry because their pockets aren't getting lined....

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Let's just call a spade a spade here! The federal government is loosing over a billion dollars a year in revenue in cigarette tax because people are switching to vapor over cigarettes. If they were still making their money they wouldn't be attacking as hard as they are.you look at study after study and depending on who it's done for the findings go opposite ways. Government study the worst thing ever, independent study one of the best things ever. It's a shame the federal government is going to kill a billion dollar industry because their pockets aren't getting lined....
This spade is known as racketeering

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
It would be interesting to hear if the FDA has responded to this request which was due May 31st... If so, what were their responses and what is the Senate Committee going to do with the information..?

From what I understand, they did not respond. I don't know what happens next.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
From what I understand, they did not respond. I don't know what happens next.

No, they did not reply. Not sure what the next step is, but the Senate Committee is NOT letting it go.

Reactions: Robino1

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
@Robino1

Here's the latest:

Majority Media | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee

As chairman of the primary oversight Committee of the United States Senate, I urge the FDA to be transparent and accountable in its regulatory actions. I ask that you please respond to my requests for information so that the Committee and the American public may fully understand the FDA’s rulemaking and its consequences for small businesses and the public’s health. With this in mind, please respond to each of the questions in the letter I sent on May 17, 2016. In addition, because of the significant public interest in this matter, I ask that you please provide all documents and communications referring or relating to the FDA’s regulation of the e-cigarette industry.

Please provide this information and material as soon as possible but no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 20, 2016. If the FDA does not provide an adequate response to these inquiries, the Committee may be forced to resort to other means to compel the production of this information. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

YES!!!!

There is an area where you can contact them. I told them my story, thanked them, and said how many MORE millions of lives could be saved by e cigs, especially the more technologically advanced ones...:)

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
@Robino1

Here's the latest:

Majority Media | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee

YES!!!!

There is an area where you can contact them. I told them my story, thanked them, and said how many MORE millions of lives could be saved by e cigs, especially the more technologically advanced ones...:)
Thanks Katmar! I also sent a note thanking them and telling them my story.

Here's a contact link for the committee in case anyone needs it: Contact | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks Katmar! I also sent a note thanking them and telling them my story.

Here's a contact link for the committee in case anyone needs it: Contact | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee

You're more than welcome, Sonic. I hope people will take advantage of this and contact them, as they seem to HEAR what people and businesses are saying. That's what we need, and they seem like they are NOT going to let the FDA off the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread