Ohms too low

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieRay18

Oct 5, 2016
So this happened maybe Tuesday night and after not changing my coil for over 8 months in my Mini Buddha rda by Vaper Cloudz which is on my smok H-Priv 220w. I just picked up some new fused claptons (around .17 ohms with 6 wraps) while the 8 month old fused claptons (.2 ohms with 5 wraps) had started to die out. The new .17 Claptons lasted a day. I was dry firing because I was putting new cotton in and I noticed that the coil on the right side had stopped glowing. I rinsed it under water and looked and the lead to the far outer post (I don't know if its negative or positive) had melted or snapped. I shrugged it off and tried to revive it by undoing a wrap but now all I get is "OHMS TOO LOW". I removed the same coil and the left one works by itself. Can anyone tell me a fix to this? I get the same amount of clouds and flavor if I put it around 125 watts as if I had the two coils on 90 watts.

Edit: Since im running a single coil the ohms have doubled. Its now at .34ohms and im using it at 50 watts. Also when I tried installing the right side coil again and the mod asked if it was a new coil and I hit yes, it would shoot down to a straight 0.00 and even upon adjusting the ohms through settings it would reset itself after trying to hit it and saying "Atomizer Short". Did I somehow mess up my RDA because I can not find another one of these (The Gold Edition Mini Buddha V1) and I dont like the deck style of the Version 2 and Version 3. If someone can find a link as to where I can find this exact copy Id be very much delighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is why I prefer single coil. Your coils have to be balanced. You could run it as single coil of course. I never really vape above 50w myself and sometimes as low as 14w so I can’t say what kind of vapor production you’re going to get. I find super high wattage is usually a resilient for a burning melted mess myself. YMMV of course.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
You could pull a wrap off of the other coil to balance them in a pinch. It would drop your total resistance, but you can compensate by lowering your wattage. Notice I said "in a pinch" just to keep you going until you can rebuild with two new coils.

Or run single as others have pointed out.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
your far out post is negative(ground) btw. The center that runs to the 510 post is positive. Hpriv is rated to fire at .1 so .17 you undid a wrap dropped it below that range. unwrapping one on the other side is just going to make the resistance even lower and the mod still wont fire it. Get new coils or wrap your own. Make sure they are the same and measure the resistance before using it. if one coil is .6 then when you have duals the resistance will be cut in half to .3

• Useful

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
So this happened maybe Tuesday night and after not changing my coil for over 8 months in my Mini Buddha RDA by Vaper Cloudz which is on my Smok H-Priv 220w. I just picked up some new fused claptons (around .17 ohms with 6 wraps) while the 8 month old fused claptons (.2 ohms with 5 wraps) had started to die out. The new .17 Claptons lasted a day. I was dry firing because I was putting new cotton in and I noticed that the coil on the right side had stopped glowing. I rinsed it under water and looked and the lead to the far outer post (I don't know if its negative or positive) had melted or snapped. I shrugged it off and tried to revive it by undoing a wrap but now all I get is "OHMS TOO LOW". I removed the same coil and the left one works by itself. Can anyone tell me a fix to this? I get the same amount of clouds and flavor if I put it around 125 watts as if I had the two coils on 90 watts.

Edit: Since im running a single coil the ohms have doubled. Its now at .34ohms and im using it at 50 watts. Also when I tried installing the right side coil again and the mod asked if it was a new coil and I hit yes, it would shoot down to a straight 0.00 and even upon adjusting the ohms through settings it would reset itself after trying to hit it and saying "Atomizer Short". Did I somehow mess up my RDA because I can not find another one of these (The Gold Edition Mini Buddha V1) and I dont like the deck style of the Version 2 and Version 3. If someone can find a link as to where I can find this exact copy Id be very much delighted.
I started dry firing at about 40 watts even on big coils. I've gotten them too hot before and snapped them right in half at higher watts.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
your far out post is negative(ground) btw. The center that runs to the 510 post is positive. Hpriv is rated to fire at .1 so .17 you undid a wrap dropped it below that range. unwrapping one on the other side is just going to make the resistance even lower and the mod still wont fire it. Get new coils or wrap your own. Make sure they are the same and measure the resistance before using it. if one coil is .6 then when you have duals the resistance will be cut in half to .3

If one six-wrap coil is 0.34 ohms, each wrap should be around 0.057 ohms. If you remove one wrap, the resistance of one coil would be close to 0.28 ohms. With two the resistance will be 0.14 ohms, well above the range of his mod.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
should be but obviously isnt since the mod reads too low. unless he melted an insulator on the 510. length of leads could also affect the resistance and while fiddling with coils spacing can be affected altering resistance as well. 4 Hundredths I wouldnt consider "WELL Above." Above yes but well is subjective in this case.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
should be but obviously isnt since the mod reads too low. unless he melted an insulator on the 510. length of leads could also affect the resistance and while fiddling with coils spacing can be affected altering resistance as well. 4 Hundredths I wouldnt consider "WELL Above." Above yes but well is subjective in this case.

The resistance of each coil would actually be less than the amount I calculated when you factor in the resistance of the legs, but I didn't bother since the total of each coil would be higher than my estimated 0.28-ohms each.

In the world of super-subohm vaping 0.04 can be considered well above, and should still fire, so I agree that there may be something else going on - like a short in the RDA itself (which is why I suggested he try to fire the RDA with the coils removed), or maybe a coil is shorting to the cap. I guess we'll not know unless the OP returns.

Last edited:
The resistance of each coil would actually be less than the amount I calculated when you factor in the resistance of the legs, but I didn't bother since the total of each coil would be higher than my estimated 0.28-ohms each.

In the world of super-subohm vaping 0.04 can be considered well above, and should still fire, so I agree that there may be something else going on - like a short in the RDA itself (which is why I suggested he try to fire the RDA with the coils removed), or maybe a coil is shorting to the cap. I guess we'll not know unless the OP returns.
I have never seen a regulated mod that reads resistances below .05, many don't go below .1 in wattage mode.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hi I’m new to the forum... question... I have duel kanthal a1 24 gauge parallel coils in my RDA I am using a smok T-priv with 18650s in it... the ohms are reading .155 is that too low? Is it safe to vape at 80watts?
You're fine, you're using a regulated mod.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Thanks for the quick reply just never built for ohms this low and really don’t want to get my batteries to vent
As long as you have good batteries from Sony, Samsung, or LG and not garbage rewraps like eFest, MXJO, Imren, etc you're fine. Regulated Mod's have protection built in but you still have to have good quality batteries and take care of them. Also 0.15 is fine.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread