Old lady needs new easy setup recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiemaw46

Dec 12, 2010
Oklahoma, USA
I'm 72 yrs old on a set (SS) income. My current set up is an ego pen style battery with a smok (?) 5 ml GBC tank. It's easy for me to maintain it and last all day. They are discontinuing my tank and coils for it. The last batch of coils I bought don't work right either. I don't understand "sub ohm" and I can't rebuild with my old arthritic hands. Does anyone know of a cheap and easy setup that might be similar to what I have ? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That’s more or less what hat my sister used, and I put her into a cartridge tank and sealed battery. The one I hear the best buzz about around here is the innokin kroma-a kit with the zenith tank. It’s a lot larger physically than your current setup, and the kit is about $50. The coils go for about a buck and a quarter Alice in 5 packs online. It will to all day though. If that’s too much cash outlay though, I think the kanger evod systems are still available which should fit your current batteries. The innokin system is a much better vape though.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Does anyone know of a cheap and easy setup that might be similar to what I have ? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

From the looks and capacity of your Smok GBC clearomizer below, if you're using it on an eGo type pen set-up...it must be a good-sized battery that you're using...not a regular eGo type 14mm diameter one.

http://pv.aegir21.worxco.net/products/tanks-smoktech/smoktech-gbc-clearomizer

If your battery(s) are still working for you and you can hold off on ordering a new tank or whole set-up for a little while...to try a tank that's a similar large capacity, takes easy to replace, readily available, and inexpensive coils...I'll send you 1 to try for free. It's a glass tank, so it's heavier than your GBC clearos are, but it provides really good vapor and flavor. Another ECF member sent some of them to me...to pass along to a member I was helping, who was in a similar situation as you are. However...she's elderly and has no longer been responding to emails. Not sure if she's still even "with us".

In any event, if you'll PM me your mailing info...I'll send you 1 of the tanks and several coils, to see if it will work for you. If it does, I'll then send at least another 1 or 2 to you. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi Okiemaw and welcome to ECF.

If you like your current setup, I'd be happy to recommend a replacement clearomizer for your batteries, but I need to know more about them. There are dozens of different ego-style batteries, with different mAh capacity, different voltage outputs--the older ones come with preset voltage of 3.3 or 3.7v, the newer ones have variable voltage. Do you know what kind of eGo battery you have?

Generally speaking, good clearomizers are hard to find nowadays, but they do exist. I agree with Bombastinator's suggestion of an Evod kit--you can buy an Evod 1 or 2 versions, as a kit or separately. Besides, you'll probably have to upgrage your eGo batteries sooner or later--they don't last forever--roughly 300 full charging cycles or so.

If you're on a fixed income, I suggest you order from Fasttech--their prices are very good, but you'll have to have patience. It may take a couple of weeks for your order to arrive.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I'm 72 yrs old on a set (SS) income. My current set up is an ego pen style battery with a Smok (?) 5 ml GBC tank. It's easy for me to maintain it and last all day. They are discontinuing my tank and coils for it. The last batch of coils I bought don't work right either. I don't understand "sub ohm" and I can't rebuild with my old arthritic hands. Does anyone know of a cheap and easy setup that might be similar to what I have ? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
I recently got the Sky solo by Vaporesso and my wife loves it. It is tiny but powerful with easy to change drop in coils and a good tank capacity. It's impressive actually for its size. It feels more like a direct lung setup to me but my wife is always mouth to lung and she loves it....
Sky Solo Kit » Vaporesso

I hope this helps...I highly recommend it.....welcome to ecf by the way :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Opinionated

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Katya - Oh, Geez...(vendor name removed). I wouldn't believe much of anything that guy shows nor describes on his website. Had a very bad, pretty high $$ experience with him, his misrepresented products (clones instead of name-brand he shows & even some obviously used items sent to me), extremely poor customer service, & horrible attitude, etc. ;)

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm not suggesting the OP buys from them. Just trying to figure out what the outside diameter of that tank is.

Oh, I knew you weren't recommending them. But I still wouldn't believe whatever descriptions he gives...even if he had said what diameter it was. :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
That bad, huh? ;)

Oh...yes, that bad. My first and only truly horrible experience with any vendor. Knock-offs instead of JoyeTech advertised and shown, some items received were even obviously used, sent different colors of items than ordered, shorted my order to the tune of $76 worth of "stuff" I'd ordered & paid for, etc., etc. Took almost a month to get everything resolved...with the help of my CC company, too.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I recently got the Sky solo by Vaporesso and my wife loves it. It is tiny but powerful with easy to change drop in coils and a good tank capacity. It's impressive actually for its size. It feels more like a direct lung setup to me but my wife is always mouth to lung and she loves it....
Sky Solo Kit » Vaporesso

I hope this helps...I highly recommend it.....welcome to ecf by the way :)

No. I disagree here. I have the Sky Solo and its a Direct Lung, higher wattage, style device .. The OP is currently using a MTL device, with 1.8 ohm coils - the Sky Solo absolutely will not work for her..

Don't get me wrong it's a nice kit, but it's just a completely different style of vaping from the OP.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Oh...yes, that bad. My first and only truly horrible experience with any vendor. Knock-offs instead of JoyeTech advertised and shown, some items received were even obviously used, sent different colors of items than ordered, shorted my order to the tune of $76 worth of "stuff" I'd ordered & paid for, etc., etc. Took almost a month to get everything resolved...with the help of my CC company, too.

Good grief. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my 9 years of shopping for vaping supplies--locally and in China.

Sorry I posted the link. Maybe I'll just delete it. :D

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    @okiemaw46 , That is a bigger tank so I assume you have one of the bigger ego batt devices that were around a few years ago. I just tossed the last one I had. If I am correct, the evod would seem very tiny and different to you but if you need, I have a new evod kit I can send to you. Might be hard to get evod tanks and coils soon with the way things are going but it would do in the interim.

As an older person myself, I second the recommendation for Innokin Kroma kit but can be pricey to get set up. Maybe between @JCinFLA , myself and others we can get you set up with something to hold you over. Just send a pm if you are interested or just want to chat further about items.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Last edited:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Hi @okiemaw46. You've had a couple offers to help from some very caring members. I know @JCinFLA would be overjoyed to help you discover your next setup.

I'm wondering if you may not understand how to send a PM in the forum system. To do so just touch/click on the name or Avatar of the person you wish to contact. You will get a pop-up and right in the middle of that pop-up you will see "start a conversation". Just click/touch on "start a conversation" and write your message. When you send the message it will go directly to that persons private inbox.
    Hope this helps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread