Old vaper stuck in his ways looking for new path

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
Charleston, SC
Background: I started vaping years ago when the technology was relatively immature and rapidly changing. I was an avid participant in this forum at the time. I used 808s and 510s with all sorts of atomizers, cartomizers, clearomizers, and tanks (and most of them were awful by today's standards). Some of you who have also been around for a while may remember cutting up air conditioner filters...

But when I found the Eleaf iStick Pico and paired it with an Aspire Nautilus tank (1.8 Ohm coils) I was done. I have used that same rig for years and have been very satisfied. I even quit coming to this forum because I thought there was nothing left for me to learn.

But I know the technology has continued to advance and I am now wondering if I am missing out on the next great leap in vaping. I have come back to this forum (a little surprised my account was still active) seeking updated knowledge.

To be clear, I am not interested in creating giant thick clouds of vapor. In fact I generally prefer to keep my vaping clouds as thin and inconspicuous as possible when I am anywhere outside of my own home (which sadly is not too much these days). It is throat hit and flavor that I am after (so I try to find low VG juices, for example).

So I am hoping that some kind forum members will help me quickly get back up to speed on the state of the art for vaping. Maybe point me to some good resources that will explain the more recent advances. I tend to think of sub-ohm mods as being only for those giant clouds, but maybe I am full of it. But I have been told that rebuildable atomizers offer better flavor, so that interests me. I don't even know what I don't know at this point. Please help me learn.

Thank you in advance for your help.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    We started @ the same time I see. Welcome back. It was Aquarium filters tho, lol. Air conditioner filters may have been just as good tho, ha.
    I only moved on from the nautilus a couple of years ago to something similar but easier to use - a Zenith tank. You can try sub-ohm coils in it if desired.
    Lots of products out there nowadays...

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2015
    FoPo, Oregon
    Temp control is probably one of the biggest advances. And the resurgence of MTL Rta's on the market is only increasing as of late.

Might be worth looking into DIY juice as the long term future of available nicotine is uncertain.

Welcome back to the world @rshields !!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Welcome back I don't have any interest in creating big ole clouds but there are lots of ways to do it and I am sure you will be given ideas.

The Zenith (IMHO) even with the lower ohm coils which can sort of crate a big cloud, isn't really the same as a GIGANTIC TAILPIPE vape if that is more your thing. Lots of those about but they are really different. The Zenith just doesn't have the airflow to support what you are looking for (if it is what I think.)

But best of luck with your hearts desires.

Anna

Reactions: mintymints

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    I don't want to sound the wrong way, but if you're happy vaping 1.8 ohm factory coils on an Istick Pico (not that you at all shouldn't be), I don't know how much some newer stuff is going to be a huge improvement.

The Istick Pico is still a perfectly good mod for your style of vaping. Also, unless you are interested in rebuildables, high resistance low power tanks and factory coils, aren't really a thing these days much beyond what you're already doing. Not that I see anyway.

Now, if you are interested in getting into RTAs, that's a different story. You can get a proper true mtl rebuildable tank that will be just your style and far better than any subohm and factory coils.

And if the Pico is still working, a new tank like I'm describing will work with it fine too. Unless, you just want something newer. In which case there are ENDLESS possibilities. :D

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    We started @ the same time I see. Welcome back. It was Aquarium filters tho, lol. Air conditioner filters may have been just as good tho, ha.
    I only moved on from the nautilus a couple of years ago to something similar but easier to use - a Zenith tank. You can try sub-ohm coils in it if desired.
    Lots of products out there nowadays...
    Yes! It was aquarium filters. Those little thin blue sheets of foam material. Thanks for the memories!

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Temp control is probably one of the biggest advances. And the resurgence of MTL Rta's on the market is only increasing as of late.

Might be worth looking into DIY juice as the long term future of available nicotine is uncertain.

DIY juice was one of my earlier experiments. I had all the equipment, a myriad of flavors, etc. I think I still have a bottle of the concentrated nicotine in a cabinet -- not sure what its shelf life is. Eventually the mass production of high quality juice at fair prices caused me to abandon my DIY efforts. But if the supply of nicotine becomes an issue, then maybe I should revisit DIY.

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
    Charleston, SC

I don't even know what MTL is (only recently learned what RTA meant). I now have something more to research. So this is what I was talking about in my OP. You great folks are helping direct my learning. Thank you!

Reactions: stols001

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    I don't want to sound the wrong way, but if you're happy vaping 1.8 ohm factory coils on an Istick Pico (not that you at all shouldn't be), I don't know how much some newer stuff is going to be a huge improvement.

You may be exactly right. This is what my OP is all about. Trying to see if any of the newer tech is something I would be interested in. I won't hurt my feelings at all to keep doing what I've been doing for the last few years. But you (and few others) have already sent me down the path of looking at RTAs, which is what I was looking for: suggestions for new (to me) things to research that may or may not end up being good for me.

Thank you!!!

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I’m not a fan of massive clouds and enjoy high pg juice, well 50/50 now but for a long time it was 70/30. I changed just because I mix my own and I’m not so good with math so it was for ease. Anyway I enjoy subohm tanks because it takes very little puffing to get glorious tasty vapor. Really half an ohm is the sweet spot for me but I take small puffs for 1-3 seconds and the lower ohm coils pumps out great vapor. It has the ability to produce giant thick clouds but not the way I puff. My point is I was sorta like you a few years back and had been using a Zmax with a protank on top, not even the removal driptip one: the original, For many years but when I came back on this forum to see what’s what I was confused with all these mods capable of triple digit watts. I couldn’t understand how going over 15 watts was possible because it surely would fry my 1.8&2.0 ohm coils in a heartbeat. So I bought a new tank and a mod that was capable of 40 watts I think figured that was more then enough. It was because that’s about as high of wattage as I vape my 0.5ohm coils but battery life was terrible using it at its limit. Point of all this late night rambling is I think you should try out a subohm tank, maybe sticking around a half ohm just to see if you like it better. I use mine with the airflow barely open because I like some resistance when I’m taking a pull but it’s really a satisfying vape. I use the Freemax Fireluke 2 with their TNX 0.5 ohm coils if you want to try a subohm tank and if you go with a rta or rda you can build any ohm you want. Also yes rda’s give the best flavor of any atomizer but today’s newer tank are really pretty close. Best of luck to you on your re-introduction to the ever changing vape world.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    To be perfectly honest the Pico is still used as is the Nautilus people are still purchasing both of those items in present-day and using them because they really are offering most of what newer things are offering and a lot of people feel that they were built a little bit better than the average Chinese mass-produced products. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting something new but other than maybe some advancements in temperature control and of course the realm of pods I'm not entirely certain that there's anything groundbreaking that you are going to be unfamiliar with. Not to say that there's nothing new that's worth looking into but just that the things that are coming out now are relatively similar to the thing that you're already using for that style of vaping. There are some amazing mouth to lung tanks out there I don't know a lot about products that use Factory coils because in general I don't purchase those anymore I like things that I can rebuild on however what you are using is going to be fundamentally similar to what is coming out. Unless you want to get into things like pods or pod mods which are different basically just because they don't have a tank they have a pod and usually don't have a 510 but some of them do there's some extra features perhaps but nothing that you're not going to be familiar with that I can think of anyway

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I didn’t start at aquarium filters, but I did start with clearos and twists, lol.

I have a little of everything now, and I will vape any style of gear as long as the price itself is satisfying to me, from pods to tanks to squonkers or mechs. I love something in every category.

If I were still at 1.8 and just wanted something newer and rebuildable, I would recommend the Dotaio and Billet Box (I’m not familiar with which clones are best, but others can help with that).

Plenty of lovely people here can help you with building - I never thought I would or could, but they got me up and running with very little trouble.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    Billet Box
    I almost said the Billet Box (I have 2) but that's a WHOLE other thang altogether :D

That's like the opposite end of the spectrum from the simple life of changing out a coil. Also, an authentic will run somebody well over 200 bucks, even used and an SXK clone (which is really good) around 100.

He definitely could get a first rate high resistance mtl vape outta one with DNA accuracy to boot. The learning curve and rabbit hole with the Billet Box are legendary though. Once you learn it, it's not that big a deal, but judging from his current setup it sounded like he was looking for simplicity and low cost.

Maybe not necessarily:)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yes! It was aquarium filters. Those little thin blue sheets of foam material. Thanks for the memories!

It was Blue Fluval!

(A Name I could Never seem to say without an over-the-top John Cleese accent. LOL)

I'm kinda like you. I found what I like RTA-wise a Long Time ago. And haven't bought many New ones for awhile. So I'm not a good person to ask what you might like. But I'm sure you will get Many Suggestions.

I would steer towards a Single Coil. Since Cloud Chasing isn't a high priority. And if you want to run it on your Pico, it should be a 22mm Diameter.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    As you browse around the newer devices and such, it may be useful to look at what's come out that uses those nautilus coils. There are pod systems and other tanks that are compatible, giving you flexibility without buying a wide variety of coils. As the vaping market gets smaller or more difficult later this year, a stockpile of coils and nic concentrate may become critical. Something to take care of this summer while learning to have fun with rebuildables.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The Pico 75W that you have is still available. So is the Pico 25 which is a very slightly larger version of that mod that can fit wider tanks, up to 25mm.

The nautilus mini tank and it's coil are also still available. BUt the full size nautilus does not seem to be very easy to find anymore as most people seem to prefer the mini.

Given that you like this setup, I see no reason to "move on". There is nothing out on the market today that is really any different from what you have. Yes, there are pod systems but in many ways they are a step in the wrong direction for someone like you who is perfectly satisfied with a tank/mod system.

If I were you, I would not focus on buying newer stuff. I would focus on hoarding more of those mods, tanks and coils that you already are satisfied with because at some point you may not be able to buy them because of FDA regulations.

Just be aware that hoarding coil heads is an expensive proposition. You could probably get away with 5-10 mods and 5-10 tanks to last you the rest of your life (depending on how old you are), and buying those would be relatively cheap compared to buying enough coil heads to last you the rest of your life. Something to think about. This is why rebuildable tanks are much more preferable, but if you don't like to rebuild then you have to spend the money to hoard coil heads.

Also, don't forget, juice may also be hard to come by at reasonable prices and the selection will most likely dwindle greatly due to government regulations. So that's another thing to think/worry about.

IMHO, for a US-based vaper that wants to keep vaping and has no intention of quitting, now is not the time to experiment with new setups assuming you already know what you like.

JMHO, and I'm sticking to it.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    BTW: There are 2 other mods that are very similar in design and size to the Pico mod that you have...

Vaporesso Swag (first version)
    Vaporesso Swag II

I'm only mentioning this in case you decide to just buy more of what you have but have a hard tine finding more Picos.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I could be happy with just using the pico75 and Nautilus set up. I use that combination with the 1.8coils and with the 1.6. I like it.
    I probably use the Innokin Zenith more though.
    I use rta's mainly. Just Vandyvape Berserker v1.5's. They cost nothing to re wick or recoil and most rta's have better flavour once you learn their quirks.
    I always have a pico75 in rotation. I like those mods.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    But when I found the Eleaf iStick Pico and paired it with an Aspire Nautilus tank (1.8 Ohm coils) I was done. I have used that same rig for years and have been very satisfied.

If you're still satisfied with that set-up...both the Pico 75W mod and the Nautilus Tank are still available. You'd just need to buy a bunch of coils to last for as long as you still want to vape. I can send you a private message on here, if you'd like me to, to let you know where the authentic Aspire Nautilus tanks are definitely available for slightly less than $12. The same place has the authentic Aspire Nautilus coils for a very good price, too.

However, if you want to stock up on fewer boxes of coils...to save you a bunch of $$...I'd also find an RTA that you like, and buy at least a couple of them. You could vape with it for many years to come for dirt cheap. A favorite of mine is the 24mm Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RTA, and it would fit on the iStick Pico 25 mod, which is 85W. (The Pico 25 is currently available from a US vendor for $19.99 + S/H...which is a good price.) Vandy Vape also makes a Berserker Mini version, that's 22mm. The Mini would work on your regular iStick Pico 75W mod.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread