Omfg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyniverrn

Dec 14, 2012
MouseTown, USA
Oh my lord...I just got home. I went to the grocery store, and on my way back, I got pulled over by a cop. What was I doing? vaping! I was vaping while I drove! So the officer pulls me over, runs my license, and asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm using an electronic cigarette. He says it doesn't look anything like a cigarette. I agree, and explain how it works. He tells me to hit it, so I do, and I smile. Now he tells me it doesn't smell like a cigarette. I agree again. Isn't it nice? (I'm vaping RY4) So then he wants to see the bottle of liquid I'm putting in it. I pull it out of my purse and show it to him. It's unlabled, because it's the little needle-tipped bottle that came with my kit. The labeled bottle of juice is in my fridge, because the package said it would keep better that way. The cop informs me that it's illegal to be carrying an unlabled bottle of "drugs" in my car. He says it's also illegal to own "potential drug paraphenalia" unless I can prove at all times that I'm useing it for a legitimate reason, such as nicotine delivery. He makes me get out and perform a sobriety test. Brethylizer, walk this line, the whole nine yards. He wants to know my experience level with --other smokables--, if I own a hookah, have I been to any parties lately, where I got my paraphenalia. The only thing he DIDN'T ask was the color of my underwear! By the end of all this, I was pretty much freaking out. I cried a little, and swore up and down that it was only just nicotine, I've never done drugs, I just smoke pipe and I'm trying to quit, please please please don't arrest me I didn't do anything wrong!

Eventually, he let me go. He made me pour out all the e-juice in my bottle and clearomizer (which was difficult, but possible), but he did let me off with a warning. He said that next time it happens, I might not be so lucky. If I got a "nasty cop" I would get arrested and have drug charges on my record and that I could lose my license. I apologized my rear end off and asked him what I should do to avoid the issue in the future. He said I really shouldn't be using e-cigs, and should go back to smoking my pipe. E-cigs are about to get banned altogether, because they're more commonly used for illegal drugs than anything else, he said, and as long as I'm carrying one I'm at risk of arrest. I thanked him and went on my way.

I'm shaking and really upset right now. I had no idea it was illegal to carry unlabled e-juice in your purse! I thought vaping was totally legal! I'm in Orange County, Florida. Do any of you know more about this? What can I do to stop this from happening to me again? Will I really lose my license if I get caught again? Are e-cigs really used so much for illegal drugs that they're about to be banned? What'll happen after they're banned? Will I get arrested for having used one in the past?

I'm so upset...I've only been vaping for a couple of days, and I really liked it and thought it was a good way to stop smoking. This just feels like such a huge slap in the face. I don't even want to touch my Riva-T right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not worry one bit. The use of electronic cigarettes is legal as long as you are of age to purchase tobacco products. The fact the the officer made you dump your product is completely insane and uncalled for. Keep on vaping and don't worry too much about it. The only thing that I can think of that you could "remotely possibly" be cited for is inattentive driving if you were observed swerving or something like that while enjoying your wonderful vape! Complete sillyness on the cops part. You were doing doing nothing unlawful.

Last edited:

taymac54

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Minnesota
Wow. What an utterly horrible experience. I have no answers for you unfortunately, I can only express my sentiments. So sorry! That sounds like the worst vaping experience ever. I have worried about the same situation happening to me before. Anybody have any answers for this poor person? Sounds like a .... cop to me. I know Florida cops are pretty rough, at least in the panhandle. Spent some time in PCB and they were not the most reasonable of people in the world.

I don't even want to touch my Riva-T right now. .

Classic quote, by the way. But please don't cry. Everything will be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry for your experience. No one should have to go through what you did. This cop was totally ignorant and totally out-of-line. I wish for your sake that it would have happened to me and not you. I would not have reacted as you did, but then I probably would have been arrested. But then the police department would have a false arrest lawsuit on their hands.

:evil: You can click on my vaping setups in the link below to see that my vaping equipment looks nothing like a cigarette.

I've used my devices out in public and NEVER had an issue. I have vaped at outdoor professional sporting events, outdoor concerts and festivals, in full view of police and security guards. The original poster just came across a particularly nasty cop and the experience was out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

lisancentraltx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2009
Ringling Brothers Circus
Well, I think you should calm down a bit and call the police department and ask to speak to someone about the entire incident.

#1 Cops don't make you dump illegal drugs and leave them on the ground...

#2 There are medical professionals GIVING OUT PRESCRIPTIONS for Nicotine inhalers – The nicotine inhaler is a prescription medication that you hold to your mouth and inhale to combat cravings. The inhaler is used for three months, up to a maximum of six months. It is recommended that people use at least 6 cartridges per day in the first three to six weeks, then taper off as cravings become less severe or less frequent. I am sure this officer does not know the difference between an inhaler and a PV.

#3 This officer knows nothing about what WILL BE BANNED, he knows no more than we do...

And finally, tell someone at the police station that this officer told you the you, 'really shouldn't be using e-cigs, and should go back to smoking my pipe.' You will be reporting this to your physician who recommended your PV and your lawyer and they can take the issue farther.

I think I will call my local police station to find out what should be done if this happened locally as well.

Tiffany Smeggin Peak

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2012
Wilton IA USA
seriously omfg!!
the title is right!!
i know nothing about carrying and unlabeled bottle of juice...
either way if you are over 18 vaping is NOT illegal it's sad that this cop was a rude/dumb one...
If i had the time and that would have happened to me, i might have gotten "arrested"
seriously made you dump it out.... HELL NO!!! i would have made them get a tester...
i am so sorry you had to deal with this!

TheAngryBovine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Oldsmar, Fl
Police carry chemical tests for illegal drugs. OP's experience sounds like pure harassment to me. When accused of using drugs, demand a test. Odd, I was pulled over for a brake light a couple months ago and was vaping while talking to the cop. Nice guy even. Didn't say boo. Sorry for your bad experience.

Karen N Daytona

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
I live in Florida as well. I started vaping in the past month, I haven't had a problem as yet. I think you should relax, he was just mean. I live in an area known for partying, If they were going to stop someone they would do it around here. I would though check with the PD in Orange County and see if that is how they handle vaping.

Perhaps a Cigalike for future outings. I have a cigalike and a small 400MAh EGO I take out with me.

Sorry to hear about this, It would have given me a heart attack so I understand. But stick with it, I'd rather be hassled then kill myself going back to smoking.

DreamingButterfly81

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Muncie, Indiana
Yeah that's seriously stupid of the cop. I'm in an area where I fully expect to deal with this at some point, so I kinda thought it through. It's one of the reasons I carry ecf business cards and make sure if I carry juice its labeled. I think unfortunately you just got stuck with a jerk. I agree you should report the incident as well. There's no circumstance where just dumping out the questionable substance is ok. And I personally refuse to agree that my pv is drug paraphenalia (sp?). To me that's like getting in trouble for bringing a spoon with your lunch. Sure. You could use it for bad stuff. But its proper use isn't bad. I'm sorry you had to deal with this, especially so early in your vaping journey. Please try to hang in there.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
if you do contact the PO, please do so calmly, without anger or accusations! I'm someone who will complain (and complement if that is the case). I have learned that you get MUCH better results if you say things like, "I though you'd like to know" and just calmly state the facts.
I'm old (I love being old) so I would have probably refused to dump out anything and would also be taken to jail :)

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
I am livid about this. I am so sorry this happened to you.

If this happened to me, I would not contact the police department, just because I know it will not go any further then the person I am complaining to.

I would not contact an attorney because it will be a money game.

What I would do is contact a news station (preferably one that has already done a segment on e-cigs) and that will gets answer as to why you were treated this way.. I would explain what happened and how wrong it was that this was done. That what you were doing is not illegal and that you were treated unfairly. I would also want to know why the local police are not aware of e-cigs, and hope that by contacting the news station that no other person will have to go through what you did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread