Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
This is nothing new, it has been that way since before I joined ECF. I believe they (Health Canada) instructs Customs to turn back the shipment, not seize and destroy. FWIW.
That is not what my Friends in Canada have been telling me. It gets to canaduan Customs and gies into s black HOLE. Can't get through vand NO tracking of it being sent back. No refund NOTHING.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Are some of you buying that "Scratch and dent factory lock 1.1 cu. ft. for $90" freezer because of its size? or because of its price? Because I got a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer, with multiple settings, with a 1 year factory warranty, for $157 last year. Costs about $18/year in elec. to run it, runs wonderfully, and I haven't even needed to defrost it yet!
I have only had my best buy insignia freezer a few weeks but it is coming in handy for me to stock up on freezer food for when I am too lazy to make a proper meal. 3 of us sharing the upstairs fridge/freezer doesn't leave much room for my own stuff most of the time.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Thanks for this. Finally some mainstream advocacy in AU. Make no mistake though, Victoria has passed a bill in the lower house that aligns e-cigs with all combustible tobacco regulations. There is a rally tomorrow outside parliament (Save Vaping Rally - Melbourne. August 16th) to basically beg the house of reps to reconsider.

To return to topic - Crown 2, Steam Crave 2, 1 litre of various flavours, etc arrived this week. Woo!

Yes I am aware of that. Currently, even nicotine importation for personal use is illegal under the poisons act in NSW, Victoria and Queensland. In WA the legal frameworks are even tighter where even the sale of devices is illegal. My favorite Australian vendor Vapebar had to shut shop because of the draconian legislation in WA.

This is why New Zealand agreeing on principle to make vaping legal and the positive appraisals from professors in Australia makes this a very positive step.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I have no clue why he had problems, but I have had a debit card tied to a bank account locked 2 times in the past. Both were due to filling up in town, immediately traveling to another state and filling up, then immediately traveling back and trying to fill up. No comparison to what he described but still I had to call to get it unlocked. What is more plausible (I've had this happen more than once) is that the transaction that was aborted caused a hold on funds which did not get released. This can happen at the vendors end and the vendor has to call and get the hold removed. It can be frustrating when you have to wait days to be able to use your money.

Banks can do a temporary suspend (locked) action on certain debit cards. They did it once to me. They also cancel your debit card without contacting you before and after. This just happened to me and SO. Is it right or legal? I have no clue.

In your case with using the cards in differerent States could show fraud.

I once got a new card and immediately Traveled to another state. I got a phone call wanting to know if the transactions in Georgia was genuine or not.

What he was talking about some Credit card issuers (including Pay PAL) don't permit sales of cigars, cigarettes, vaping supplies, and that ceritain herb we are not allowed to talk about even if you get said herb at a legal dispensary and you have a card where you can legally purchase it.

I don't like to walk around with up to $200 cash but i have to because Pay Pal's stupid rules.

All that is passed on to the VENDORS' CC processor, which since it's the ecig biz, is most probably a gateway processor.

The reason is that few vendors would be willing to pay Mastercard, et al. the extra fees to be in the "high risk category".

There were a lot of posts about vendors trying to even FIND CC processors when all this vaping stuff started, plenty of posts about it in the archives.

So a shopping cart would not decline one CC and accept another one. I have never seen that. Ever. The whole point of getting a gateway CC processor if you sell wine, pipes, cigars, ecigs, etc. is to have a seamless checkout process with a company who allows people to buy what you're selling.

Be aware that Mastercard voluntarily reports to the States and Feds all Tobacco sales made with MC. Visa I know told the Government to go pack sand, not sure about Discover, AMEX or the others. But I do know that MC reports who, what, where, etc. of all tobacco sales. Now that the FDA classifies everything associated or can be used for Vaping as a Tobacco product be prepared to have all this reported to the Fed's and State Government if you use MC.

This is actually one of many reasons why I do not have/use MC and stick with Visa. That and Visa is excessive with confidentiality and security, MC I do know has had issues in the past. IMO a good chunk rooted in how free they are with the information of their card users.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Be aware that Mastercard voluntarily reports to the States and Feds all Tobacco sales made with MC. Visa I know told the Government to go pack sand, not sure about Discover, AMEX or the others. But I do know that MC reports who, what, where, etc. of all tobacco sales. Now that the FDA classifies everything associated or can be used for Vaping as a Tobacco product be prepared to have all this reported to the Fed's and State Government if you use MC.

This is actually one of many reasons why I do not have/use MC and stick with Visa. That and Visa is excessive with confidentiality and security, MC I do know has had issues in the past. IMO a good chunk rooted in how free they are with the information of their card users.

Shouldn't you still be ok unless you live in a state that has already enacted taxes or regulations on the purchase of e-cig products? Reason #1001 why I'm glad I finished up before the 8th.:-x

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA

Horribly interesting!!! :eek:
    Glad I've never had a MC! :grr:

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2016

Really not liking that our credit union switched us to Mastercard back in May...but thanks for the heads up. Haven't used it for anything since the 8th and my state doesn't tax yet so should be ok.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    IF is a big word.

I really think they are already awake and perhaps don't see things quite the same way as you do.;)

Given that the rest of the real-world supply chain isn't even in the US, and the fact that it will take years, if not decades (and that is IF the many lawsuits don't change quite a lot of things about the regs) for the FDA to process pieces of paper for *every single* piece of vaping hardware, not to mention tens of thousands of elqiuids.

Now on top of FDA manpower (severely lacking to do even 1/4 of this task) , you're telling me U.S. Customs and the USPS, Fed Ex, DHL, and UPS are going to add personnel, forms, and processes to their organizations just to dedicate themselves to vapers and vaping? o_O
    When only about 10% of the nation vapes?

There are people under TPD restrictions who have no problem ordering nic base from places in Asia (and it's very good). Where do you think most vendors are getting it?

I could go on, since i read a lot in the investment communities, and know the names of all the billionaires that are in and behind the vaping biz. I guess you think they are just going to take walk and sell pet rocks or something? :lol:

People just keep reading the regs that aren't even final til 8/8/2018, and assume that everything in there is going to happen, without even considering the kind of resources it would take to make it all happen.
    I SO love a voice of reason. (said nicely ;)

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    Are some of you buying that "Scratch and dent factory lock 1.1 cu. ft. for $90" freezer because of its size? or because of its price? Because I got a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer, with multiple settings, with a 1 year factory warranty, for $157 last year. Costs about $18/year in elec. to run it, runs wonderfully, and I haven't even needed to defrost it yet!
    I think the locking capabilities were a factor. They have them at Home Depot, much larger, for less than $150 but they do not lock

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    As my ex-father in law was fond of saying "I've got a shotgun, a shovel and 40 acres".

Back in the 80's when I use to attend Polo, I ran in to a guy who drew a fully loaded .44 magnum revolver out of a Western style holster, placed the barrel on my forehead, and mumbled something very similar.

All I said back was, I keep copious notes on everyone I hang around with, and the book is kept at the bank in a safe deposit box.

He stayed away from me after that.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    I was just about to order the basic EdgeStar 1.1 C.F. refrigerator / freezer when I ran across this in another thread.
    What kind of damage did you encounter with these scratch & dents when they arrived? I fear buying damaged goods when all "Scratch & Dent" units will not carry any warranty and are not eligible for a "buyer’s remorse" return. Note: The original manufacturer’s warranty is not applicable
    Mine was dented on the back corner. It did come with a 90 day warranty.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    For me, the 2.8 CuFt was a good size for an overcrowded basement. Plus, I dedicated it to just a certain product, which I didnt want to mix with my foodstuff. At the higher concentrations I am storing the stuff can definitely be considered a poison. Why mix poison and food, if you dont have to, even in the freezer?

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    For me, the 2.8 CuFt was a good size for an overcrowded basement. Plus, I dedicated it to just a certain product, which I didnt want to mix with my foodstuff. At the higher concentrations I am storing the stuff can definitely be considered a poison. Why mix poison and food, if you dont have to, even in the freezer?
    nic in sealed bottles, in vacuum sealed bags, bubble wrapped and packed in a box/tub, underneath of sealed/packaged food above it, has very little chance for cross contamination imo

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    nic in sealed bottles, in vacuum sealed bags, bubble wrapped and packed in a box/tub, underneath of sealed/packaged food above it, has very little chance for cross contamination imo
    I would agree, as long it is on the very bottom of the freezer, with no food below it.

Off topic, kind of. Many moons ago I managed restaurants. I had a health inspector hit me on an inspection for storing raw meat on a shelf above cooked food in the freezer. His rationale being if the freezer failed, blood could drip on the cooked food. While I cant disagree, "if" the freezer failed I would have had waaaaay bigger problems than that......

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    That is not what my Friends in Canada have been telling me. It gets to canaduan Customs and gies into s black HOLE. Can't get through vand NO tracking of it being sent back. No refund NOTHING.
    Correct. NIC and juice containing NIC is seized and destroyed if intercepted during shipping.

NIC is NOT returned to sender by Canadian Border Services.

Note: if you physically have a few bottles of juice on you, they will likely let you keep it, but in a shipment? Seized.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    From what I have heard ... Canada Customs returns to sender. I think they return it with a warning not to send nicotine across the border without the proper paperwork. There are special exemptions where one could legally buy nicotine (I believe it involves the Medical field).

I've also had CC return a bottle of juice to me that I was shipping into the USA

Sent via iPhone

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    From what I have heard ... Canada Customs returns to sender. I think they return it with a warning not to send nicotine across the border without the proper paperwork. There are special exemptions where one could legally buy nicotine (I believe it involves the Medical field).

I've also had CC return a bottle of juice to me that I was shipping into the USA

Sent via iPhone
    Weird. One of the guys that works in a local B&M had a litre of NIC seized and the customs guy laughed at him when he called to see why the shipment was being held. It was apparently destroyed or maybe in the border guard's freezer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread