Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Hi AT! You might have a point. From the article I got:

"Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor compound, which means that it has the tendency to stimulate the contraction of the muscular wall of the blood vessels, resulting in reduced blood flow. Based on research, the extended decrease of nutrient and oxygen supply to the gum increases the probability of periodontal disease development. Restriction of blood flow also affects the mouths natural inhibitory function of cleaning and fighting bacteria, as well as reduces the body’s innate ability to heal and generate new cells."

Nicotine constricting blood flow is the problem. I figured nicotine has this constricting effect overall and equally in the body. Are you saying because the nicotine is taken up by blood vessels in the mouth they are being affected more then if the nicotine came in though your arm? I figured there would be reduced blood flow throughout all your body equally over time and it really doesn't matter how it entered the body. But I am interested in learning about PG, VG and Nicotine in finer and finer details - so share what you know.

I am not aware of any direct research on constricting effects of nicotine directly on blood vessels in a mouth. So, I can only say that constriction of vessels should be (more or less) proportional to concentration of nic in blood. Mouth (and lungs) digest nic from vapor and later it redistributes throughout a body, but during vaping it concentration will be always higher in the mouth, so - more adverse effect on blood vessels.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I'm not a "vaping is healthy" person but my dentist gave me the thumbs up at my last cleaning. I didn't tell him I was vaping now instead of smoking but he did say there's been a marked improvement of my gums and teeth. I also don;t bleed anymore when I brush my teeth or floss.

Actually, it could be cigarette tar that makes the greatest part of bad work on gums, not nicotine.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I am not aware of any direct research on constricting effects of nicotine directly on blood vessels in a mouth. So, I can only say that constriction of vessels should be (more or less) proportional to concentration of nic in blood. Mouth (and lungs) digest nic from vapor and later it redistributes throughout a body, but during vaping it concentration will be always higher in the mouth, so - more adverse effect on blood vessels.

Caffeine does the same thing. Basically choose your own poison.

Didn't see Andrias post.

Callipleura

Apr 21, 2015
ON, Canada
Well, caffeine is also an EXCELLENT vasoconstrictor.. but nobody's jumping and down about IT. :facepalm:Andria
lol... yes, it would be nice to have unbiased dental studies comparing caffeine vs nicotine on ones oral health.

...and it would be nice if they were aware of the carrier. Pop, coffee, cigarettes and vaping are all different. It might be hard to do direct comparisons but it would give a 'real world perspective' to most people.
Cheers

Nado

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Canada
Andria nobody is jumping up and down I simply posted this for information purposes. I had been looking for this information for a while and when I found it I thought it would be helpful for others here. Take it how you will, I found the article informative myself and I have a lot of bad things to say about most of the articles written on ecigs.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria nobody is jumping up and down I simply posted this for information purposes. I had been looking for this information for a while and when I found it I thought it would be helpful for others here. Take it how you will, I found the article informative myself and I have a lot of bad things to say about most of the articles written on ecigs.

Everyone in "public health" is jumping up and down about nicotine lately -- that's why guys like this dentist can post junk like this and get away with it. But notice how "public health" isn't saying word ONE about either caffeine, or the nicotine in NRT -- only e-cigarettes receive their ire. Mostly because they don't make anything off e-cigs, whereas everybody and their brother is getting a little sweetener (or a lot) from BP to a) recommend "FDA approved" NRT, and b) raise hysterical fears about e-cigs.

Andria

Bootiewootsy

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2014
Port Orange, Florida, USA
After smoking for almost 40 years I should now be concerned about Nicotine? That is rather ridiculous.. So many chemicals,nicotine and other terrible things have been going into our bodies with cigs, that now everyone is afraid of vaping.. I am sure there are things that are not good for us, but the positive side is out weights the negative... That is just my feelings..

drksideken

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Syracuse, IN, USA
I've been chain vaping for over a year now. My teeth were destroyed partially due to smoking for 20 years. Three months ago, I got all of my remaining teeth removed and just two days ago I went in to have adjustments done on my dentures. They inspect my gums every time I go in and they have noticed nothing wrong and said in fact that my gums are looking healthy and they are healing nicely. Seems as though the opposite would be true if vaping were causing issues.

Rlrick

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Carl Junction,Mo
After 6 months of vaping I had a dentist appointment to have my teeth cleaned and get x-rays because I was having bone loss around my roots. After getting my teeth cleaned the dentist came in and after the examination he asked me when I quit smoking. Puzzled I asked him how he could tell. He told me that a smoker will have gray gums from smoking and someone who doesn’t smoke will have pink gums. After that I pulled out my vaporizer and showed him it. We talked for quite a while on the subject then as he was fixing to move onto his next patient he told me to stay away from the cigarettes and continue vaping.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I am a former hygienist and have been vapeing for almost four years now. My gums are pink and healthy. Periodontal disease is caused by bacteria. If you don't clean the bacteria off your teeth you could end up with gum disease. Here's a hypothesis I wish someone would study-vapors could be less likely to get gum disease due to the antimicrobial effects of the PG! Just as many vapors report getting less colds than when they smoked or even less than non-smokers. The PG is killing the germs-bacteria and viruses. I did see one study that said that the PG isn't necessarily killing the germs but it is coating the surfaces of your lungs, noses and mouths so the germs can't penetrate and make you sick. We need honest non-biased scientists to study real life vapors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread