Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Teeth have always been the bane of my existence. Every 5-7 years or so I end up losing one. Thankfully, none of the visible ones have been lost yet but when it gets to that point, it's lights out for the rest of them and in go the dentures.

My parents both had dentures and they never complained about them.

Besides, I think it would be so much easier & better to clean teeth properly when you can remove them from you mouth first.

Ah, the bright side.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Too many things I see wrong with how the study was done.
    Using smoke from 2 cigarettes, and vapor from 2 complete cartridges of a medium sized vape pen are not equivalents.
    Soaking in saliva (artificial) for 24 hours is not realistic as your saliva is totally refreshed every few minutes, if not more.
    Those are just 2 problems I see right off, I won't even get into the criteria they used between "smokers" and "vapers".

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2017
    Moved this one to Health, Safety and vaping too.
    Ya know...when I see Glantz's name on anything my BS Detector goes off - just sayin'...
    The Glantz study they use is one about vape use among adults and youth, you can ignore that part if you chose to and the oral health implications still stand. He also didn't participate in the main study, they just used that particular paper of his, wich again you can ignore.
    Although this study is in regards to oral health, they jump to this conclusion in their Discussion section (bolded by me):

How can the comparison of lung cancer and gum disease harm be seen as equals? This statement indicates ignorance or bias.

They are not, they are talking about oral health and the impact vaping has on that.

It's been about 6 months since your last post about this.
    Vaping and Oral Health
    Let us know if your oral health has changed since your last 6 month check up.

Pretty good thanks, I quit smoking and vaping tho. Might start vaping without nic again, who knows.

Too many things I see wrong with how the study was done.
    Using smoke from 2 cigarettes, and vapor from 2 complete cartridges of a medium sized vape pen are not equivalents.
    Soaking in saliva (artificial) for 24 hours is not realistic as your saliva is totally refreshed every few minutes, if not more.
    Those are just 2 problems I see right off, I won't even get into the criteria they used between "smokers" and "vapers".

I agree but that's not the only thing they did, that's the in vitro part. While I agree the study is not perfect I don't think it's completely irrelevant, there should be some relevant conclusions and results to be take out of it and I think this one is one of the better ones compared to other abominations. Also 2 cigarettes should be worse than 2 cartridges imo.

• Creative
    Reactions: stols001

Twiggy1995

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2020
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    two cigarettes should be worse than two cartridges?

From what I understand that doesn't make sense at all. A pod is supposed to be the equivalent of an average pack of cigarettes.

it's like when people say "one juul pod has more nicotine than a cigarette" well, duh, because it's meant to be an entire pack's worth.

Last edited:

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2017
    two cigarettes should be worse than two cartridges?

From what I understand that doesn't make sense at all. A pod is supposed to be the equivalent of an average pack of cigarettes.

it's like when people say "one juul pod has more nicotine than a cigarette" well, duh, because it's meant to be an entire pack's worth.
    Suppose you vape 1ml at 60mg/ml strength, you just vaped the equivalent of a pack of cigarettes or more based on your logic. I'm not talking about nicotine here but I get what you mean. And as I said in the same post I aknowledge the comparison is not too good.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    As someone who has had dentures for over ten years and now has titanium fangs because of bone loss (which has NOTHING to do with vaping and is totally NORMAL) I am here to tell you, I miss my old teeth.

There is no bright side to dentures, other than, I guess, it's better than nothing at all.

I also was smoking fairly heavily when I got them and it had NOTHING to do with either smoking OR vaping.

I am finding most of your assertions pretty weird, honestly.

Good luck with your tooth situation and when you DO get dentures do let me know how that works out for yo, eh?
    Anna

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Good luck with your tooth situation and when you DO get dentures do let me know how that works out for yo, eh?

It's been about 6 months now that I got my last tooth pulled. Went through bigtime hell because my (former) dentist took my blood pressure (never had a dentist do that before) and it was up to 17x/9x so he would not pull it. This was right after he caused me immense pain by needlessly doing the "freeze test", so naturally my BP would shoot up. Intense pain does that. He waited another 15 minutes, still was in pain but came down to 160x/90x. Still too high for him to pull it because his network forbids it.

He said in order for him to pull it he would need a note from a PCP stating it was OK to do so. PCP would not see me for over a week.

Had to call around and found a private dentist who would take me in 2 days so I made an appointment. He never took my BP and all was fine with the extraction. But I took my BP in the meantime and never was anywhere near as high as that day at teh dentist because I was relaxed and not really in much pain.

I'll put up with dentures when that time comes. From what I have seen from my parents, whatever downsides they introduce into my life, they could never match the immense, excruciating pain, especially the tooth pain, that I have experienced in my life. I'll deal.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I hope it goes well for you. You adapt. I had all 24 of my teeth pulled at once though. Had to take a month off work so SOME of the swelling goes down. That's why they give you a training denture it takes a year or so for ALL The swelling to go down, so then they reline it and they give you your real one after that.

The worst part was taking my dentures out the first time. The oral surgeon said to leave them in for 3 days to reduce swelling. Oh, Ialso had bone shaving. The denture guy when I saw him on day 2 was like "GET THEM OUT." So I did, with my husband there, the top one came out with just CHUNKS of scabs and blood and I placed it very elegantly on the bathroom sink and passed out.

That was the only time I have passed out from pain and I have given birth. LOL.

It's not so bad if it's a few gnarly front teeth left but I finally started a med that was gonna eat all mine and was the only thing that worked, I mean.... I was ok with it.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread