The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

PA 40% Tax Increase!!!!!

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by sunnyskyez, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    My stockpile, which is in addition to what I use every day will be 10 mods, 10 rda's and 500,000 mg of nic. That will last at least 10 years and may be 20 if nic is immortal in the freezer and the mods go for 2 years each instead of 1 year. My cost for all that is $650 (see below). If I paid a 40% tax it goes up to $910. I spent $910 to smoke for 3.6 MONTHS!. I could spend $30,000 to smoke for 10 years or $60,000 to smoke for 20. Buy what you need, pay the damn tax, and tell them to go to hell for the next 10-20 years.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sunnyskyez

sunnyskyez Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 7, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Good for you and all the vape preppers out there. Apparently I waited to long- oh boy!

3. vincom

vincom Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2014
    bolton, ontario,canada
    do it, super easy, old saying "just keep it simple stupid"
    lots of info in the diy juice section
    dont have to be precise, just start w/small batches and use low % mix of flavor and adjust upward if needed.
    when u get what u like then add the nic
    im a cheap bas tard, for me i use about 7-10mls of flav(fruits, candy) + a few mls of menthol(diy from crystals) per 270mls of 80% vg base.
    small doses of menthol is for not getting dry mouth/vapors tongue and not getting a menthol taste, more of a refesher cleaner taste and adding a slight punch to the flav profile., imo
    i nuke it in the mw until its warm(timed in seconds) as it mixes better and its a fast steep method.
    in less than a few minutes i have about 285-295mls of juice ready to vape for basically nada compared to retail

• Like Like x 1
  4. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

I apologize that I reacted harshly to your OP.

I hope you can find your way around all this and I hope we can overcome all this horrific legislation.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LarryPer

LarryPer Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Diego CA
    Fasttech does not charge me sales tax and business in New York don't charge tax to Calif

6. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    If you buy e-liquid from an in-state vendor, it's presumed that they have paid the (wholesale) tax on the ingredients. Since that tax is on their wholesale cost for ingredients, it's a lot less than if you pay 40% on the retail price of out-of-state purchases. So if you're mad at the state and want to minimize what they get from you, but aren't willing to risk cheating, buy from a vendor within PA and keep your receipts.

You're supposed to pay it monthly, using a separate form.
    http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforBusinesses/Documents/Other%20Tobacco%20Products/rev-1809.pdf

Too long to avoid this tax? Yes. Too long to save a boatload of money over buying retail juice? No.

In addition, there's still the FDA regs that will (unless something drastic changes) shut down the virtually all of the juice industry by mid 2018.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Verb

Verb Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    If you are going to pay the tax according to the way the law reads, please buy as much as you can from non-vape specific retailers. Submission of OTP tax from non-"vapeshop" internet retailers, such as Amazon, sam's club, Home Depot ect. and submission of tax for item purchased retail in-state that are covered by the bill but not being enforced by DoR (screws & o-rings from lowes, VG from Walgreens), will all help prove this bill violates current state laws.

8. Tufur
    This message by Tufur has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Feb 8, 2017, Reason: The discussion of pure nicotine is not permitted on ECF..
    Dec 9, 2016
  9. skiball

skiball Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2016
    For the moment no this would be the best short term solution. I know fasttech sells original halo e liquid also and some other american brands. Our american companies started selling to chinese vendors for just this reason. Halo is 17$ a 30ml bottle but they only carry 3-4 flavors. For the long term it would be smart to get into diy and stock up on nic asap.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

10. Verb

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    I haven't purchased a single vape specific item since 10-1. Feels weird. I haven't popped into the B&M either.

• Like Like x 2
  11. vape-o-matic

vape-o-matic Senior Member Verified Member

Jan 17, 2017
    fairfield, pa
    i do the diy juice, the components are easy enough to find, and gives one more control over many parameters, hell, it's a lot better than giving Phillip Morris $8 a pack for rot-lung

12. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Wasn't this bill supposed to be brought up again by now??

13. Verb

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Sadly there's still a $5k/5year penalty for possession of products on which the tax has not been paid.

Thankfully, I have receipts showing everything I use was purchased prior to 10/1/2016...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Verb

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    I have my documentation too. But anything I have of value is not covered by the replacement tax anyway.

16. traten

traten Full Member

Sep 25, 2014
    SE PA USA
    N. Rustica 2_10_2017.jpg I try to keep life simple. I drink coffee for the caffeine, vape for the nicotine content, eat meat for protein. You get it. When it gets all complicated with tax and regulation I fall back on my wits and experience. This beautiful flower is that of Nicotiana Rustica, the original, wild form of tobacco. This one has been growing inside under lights this winter. Soon, its baby brothers and sisters will go into my garden. Think the law will step in?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    No, because there's absolutely nothing illegal about growing your own tobacco.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Verb

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    • Like Like x 2
  19. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    With all the Pa. businesses that closed I doubt any will reopen with how crazy that Tax was. Now Pa. has lost all that Tax Revenue and the Pa. vaping community suffers. Online vendors will be the only recourse for Pa. vapers.

20. WillyZee

WillyZee Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    future-marlboro-vape-concept-300x300.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  21. SteveS45

SteveS45 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    For 40 years that was my brand and I spent a long time trying to find a liquid that tasted close enough to it. But now after 2 1/2 years plus smoke free it is the last thing I ever want my vape to taste like.

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.