Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
If only they were as concerned about children using alcohol as they were about them smoking. In high school, I was one of maybe 30 people in my whole graduating class that smoked cigarettes and it was wildly unpopular. However, I would wager that 90 percent of my graduating class engaged in alcohol use. .XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXI wish they would approach off of this stuff the same way they approach sex education. They contend over and over again that most young people will engage in sexual behavior, so it is best to promote safety over abstinence. If only they viewed my electronic smoking in the same way. I guess diseases like Aids, Herpes, and HPV aren't as high on the list as lung cancer. I just want some damn consistency.

It would make sense to ban alcohol from the home where, I would believe, most children get their first taste. They get interested after they watch their parents get happy after drinking it and see all those delicious flavors and want to try it themselves. We didn't have them back in my day, except some of those schnapps types. If you were drinking liquor, it was going to be pretty much taste acquired.

Children shouldn't be allowed to see adults drinking and certainly should be exposed to seeing their parents after they've been out drinking. Tayloe should quote "The AAP supports and advocates for laws that protect children from alcohol everywhere they learn, live and play."

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Before I die can I please make one request? Can we live in world where everyone just minds their own friggin business and not worry about what everyone else is doing? I am getting so sick of hearing these whiners every time I open my eyes, I can totally see why spree killers decide to thin the herd sometimes.

I am so sick of hearing of these interest groups and their agendas. I am tempted to start my own interest group against interest groups! These things remind me of a bunch of old church biddies talking their BS gossip over the fence about what so and so down the street is doing and what a shame it is and how someone should do something. Is it too much to ask that people be left alone to find their own happiness without the peanut gallery piping in to tell them how to do it?

Sorry, it's one of those days I guess. I am so sick of the human condition it seems. People are idiots and it's getting to me. I think I would best be served staying inside today, lol!

Last edited:

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
It would make sense to ban alcohol from the home where, I would believe, most children get their first taste. They get interested after they watch their parents get happy after drinking it and see all those delicious flavors and want to try it themselves. We didn't have them back in my day, except some of those schnapps types. If you were drinking liquor, it was going to be pretty much taste acquired.

Children shouldn't be allowed to see adults drinking and certainly should be exposed to seeing their parents after they've been out drinking. Tayloe should quote "The AAP supports and advocates for laws that protect children from alcohol everywhere they learn, live and play."
I really can't believe I am reading this!

More to the point, in countires where alcohol is an integral part of everday life and where the children are pemitted to partake at meals and on special occasions from an early age (eg in France, where fairly young children have wine diluted ith water with their meals) then alcohol is not a 'problem' (eg loutish behaviour) since it is not a taboo to be broken.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Interesting article. I understand the point of view of this but still. I would love to know the basis of evidence they used to include Ecigs in this matter.

I'm with you. They nonchalantly throw the comment about e-cigs in without even explaining the basis for wanting them banned.
Of course we know why---it looks like smoking.

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
I submitted this post to their forum:

AAP Calls For Tobacco-Free Environments For All Children
A more accurate title Would read:
AAP Calls For "First Amendment-Free" Environments For All, Save the Children, Save the Children

While I regret that American children apparently no longer have parents to guide them, the simple truth is that the children will become adults whether we turn our country into North Korea or not. That being the case, I would rather they become adults in a country that has a Bill of Rights.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I probably won't win much good popularity with them (if they post it) but I had to try:)

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Comment I left, via View/Write Opinions button at top of the page:

I'm confused. If AAP wants to eliminate 2nd hand smoke from the environment, why in the world are they calling for a ban on the the most effective method in history for giving up tobacco smoking? A poll of current electronic cigarette users, responded to by more that 1,000 people, show that 80.7% have completely stopped smoking tobacco, and another 18.7% have reduced the amount smoked.

Over 13,000 people signed the Electronic Cigarette Petition and left comments regarding decades-long struggles to give up smoking, trying everything from acupuncture to Zyban, without success, until now. They are reporting improved lung function. Family members have left comments about how much cleaner the air is in their homes. So why would AAP be opposed to smoking cessation and cleaner air?

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
They're talking about a ban on selling tobacco products in pharmacies. That's not a new proposal. Many other groups have said it's somehow not right to sell cigarettes at the front of a store that sells cancer meds at the rear. Just saying ...

The statement about e-cigs is contained in one sentence.

This one doesn't really surprise me, it's hard to defend any nicotine product sale when you're talking about a pharmacy. I don't like the fact that they singled out e-cigs in a seperate sentence though, and the fact that they made this a press release just adds another straw on the e-cig community's back.

Mist_Of_Joye

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Beirut-Lebanon
I think that E-cig users ought to be more aggressive and start claiming back their freedom.

It is unacceptable to let others dictate to us, the way we want to live and breathe. It's a matter of basic liberties and private life, first and foremost.

As long as I'm not harming anyone, not even myself, then it's nobody's business if i vape from my E-cig or not.

And since no one is capable of proving that I'm harming him with my vaping, then I don't see why he wouldn't just mind his own business.

Do I run around the neighborhood and point him out at people and tell them that he can't please his wife?

No.

Why?

Because it's just not my business. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread